or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What DOES 'Mashed Potatoes" mean?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What DOES 'Mashed Potatoes" mean?

post #1 of 64
Thread Starter 

Read some juicy comments here about the golf fans and their on-course outbursts.  

 

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2012/06/stingers-dear-gallery-stop-yelling-stupid-things.html#commentAnchor_golfdigest_2000000001828724

 

Seems that the youngsters who are just learning the game, and have high aspirations, will need to factor in the practice of 'screening out' the trash talk during the backswing, coz it ain't gonna go away. Well, maybe it will never arrive to the Master's .

post #2 of 64

It means the person yelling it is a Moron and has no business at an event... 

post #3 of 64

So...what does it mean and where did it come from? Is it just a non-sequitor? Are people just going to start screaming out random objects after every shot? 

 

"TELEPHONE BOOK!"  "PAPER CLIP!"  "DOUBLE PANE WINDOWS!"

 

Doesn't get much more stupid...

post #4 of 64

I see no problem with it. I think it's pretty funny. 

post #5 of 64

Lately when I get up on the weekends I'll turn on the European Tour.  It's amazing the difference in the gallery between how they act and how the fans at PGA Tour events act.  It's a refreshing change from the drunken idiots; they still act with class and respect.

post #6 of 64

One comment here, this guy is one of the idiots yelling out.

 

It's getting to the end of the week Alex needed a story before pay day.....Since it's the fans that keep these guys pockets full we can yell whatever it's part of the game...
Posted 6/21/2012 10:32:47am
by Buffalo12
 

It's part of the game? Maybe a football game, but not golf. People actually think this, it's natural to yell out stupid crap. Unbelieveable

post #7 of 64

Id agree that it doesnt mean anything, its just some idiot who thinks he is funny.  I mean, at the U.S. Open there was someone who kept making the Chewbacca noise.  Its like, seriously?  Grow up.  Honestly, if I were at a tournament and someone in front of me kept doing things like that, Id smack them upside the head and say, "grow up".

Like I say every time this topic comes up, Id love to follow some of these people around the course when they are out playing and yell stupid things every time they tee off.  It wouldnt take long before they wouldn think it was as funny anymore.

post #8 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleistWI View Post
 Id love to follow some of these people around the course when they are out playing and yell stupid things every time they tee off.  It wouldnt take long before they wouldn think it was as funny anymore.

 

 

Amen, to that

post #9 of 64

It means that you MASHED it, as in crushed it.  Like a mashed potato.

 

I think yelling during events is stupid.  But that's what it means.

post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman View Post

It means that you MASHED it, as in crushed it.  Like a mashed potato.

 

I think yelling during events is stupid.  But that's what it means.

 

Ahhh. Yup, still stupid.

 

And, even though the stupidity comes after the hit, it must still disturb players just knowing it's about to come.

post #11 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubchucker View Post

Lately when I get up on the weekends I'll turn on the European Tour.  It's amazing the difference in the gallery between how they act and how the fans at PGA Tour events act.  It's a refreshing change from the drunken idiots; they still act with class and respect.

 

 

The crowds at a lot of Euro events are very small. There are just less people drunk and acting like idiots. Bubba Watson was very vocal last year and seems to have a point.

post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by preisman View Post

 

 

The crowds at a lot of Euro events are very small. There are just less people drunk and acting like idiots. Bubba Watson was very vocal last year and seems to have a point.

 

 

Actually the one I noticed the difference in galleries was the BMW in England.  Crowds were pretty darned big if I remember correctly.  And I think Bubba had more of an issue with people being in close proximity to him while going from hole to hole; don't think there were any ropes (or not many) in France.

 

All I'd like to see is a little class come back to the galleries at US events.  But, I also admit that maybe I'm old and grumpy; I won't hardly go to MLB or NFL games anymore because I don't want to be annoyed by drunken idiots.

post #13 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixel5 View Post

I see no problem with it. I think it's pretty funny. 

You have a very sophisticated sense of humour.b3_huh.gif

post #14 of 64

YABBA DABBA DOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #15 of 64

Scoobie snacks?

post #16 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleistWI View Post

Id agree that it doesnt mean anything, its just some idiot who thinks he is funny.  I mean, at the U.S. Open there was someone who kept making the Chewbacca noise.  Its like, seriously?  Grow up.  Honestly, if I were at a tournament and someone in front of me kept doing things like that, Id smack them upside the head and say, "grow up".

Like I say every time this topic comes up, Id love to follow some of these people around the course when they are out playing and yell stupid things every time they tee off.  It wouldnt take long before they wouldn think it was as funny anymore.

 

You seem to be pretty uptight generally.  You would make a great hall monitor.

post #17 of 64
Too much starch in some of y'alls drawls. Lighten up....damn.
post #18 of 64

Someone probably had watched a History channel program on Sixties rock-n-roll and was thinking about the dance the Mashed Potato. It was a contemporary move to the Twist and the Swim.

 

Not sure what it has to do with a round of golf. Any ideas???

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What DOES 'Mashed Potatoes" mean?