or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › PureStrike 5 Simple Keys DVDs - Now Available
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PureStrike 5 Simple Keys DVDs - Now Available - Page 3

post #37 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

 

 

Are you now officially a "grip" or "best boy"?

 

Gives a whole new meaning to the title "key grip."

post #38 of 93

When will you have an instructors list ready or can you recommened anyone south of Boston? Keep all the great info coming!

post #39 of 93
Has anyone gotten their DVD yet? I was wondering how long I should expect men to show up? (ordered it day I think..12 or 13 days ago)
post #40 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffj View Post

Has anyone gotten their DVD yet? I was wondering how long I should expect men to show up? (ordered it day I think..12 or 13 days ago)

Not yet. Free shipping though. I figured it would take a while.
post #41 of 93
Thread Starter 

I believe they should arrive next week. But I really don't know - we're not really in touch with all of that. If I hear anything I'll pass it on here.

post #42 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Thanks. If you're a Forum Leader or Supporter, look at the thread in the Locker Room too. :-)

 

Could you send me the link to the thread, I can't see it? Thanks.

post #43 of 93

For what it's worth, I checked my order status and it shows that it shipped today, with an expected delivery of Monday 

post #44 of 93

Has anyone received this yet?  Can anyone provide a review... (not Erik or company)

post #45 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoganwoods View Post

Has anyone received this yet?  Can anyone provide a review... (not Erik or company)

 

Yes. Buy them, you won't regret it.

post #46 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoganwoods View Post

Has anyone received this yet?  Can anyone provide a review... (not Erik or company)

 

 

I think they are GREAT! They are laid out very well.  They are very informative.  The keys are given to you in the order that makes sense and they tell you how to practice the keys and explain the wrong way and why it's wrong.  I think they are well worth the money.  These dvds are about as simplified as it gets and they make it look SOOOO easy!  I had quite a few eye opening moments while watching them

post #47 of 93

I agree.  Disk 2 is the shortest I think but probably has the best overall summary of how to practice the 5SK correctly from a chip all the way to a full swing.  It's short enough to watch every week just to give you a refresher if you need it.

 

Nicely done!  The explanations of all the steps and ball flight laws are very detailed and informative.

 

Brad

post #48 of 93

Should be getting mine today.  Was just up there visiting Erik and Dave in person but wanted the discs as well. 

post #49 of 93
Got mine today. My review is here in a stream of consciousness fashion.

Disc One: It was a good brush up on stuff I knew already, but of course, I'm an avid reader of Erik's and Mike's posts, and also I consider myself a good student. That said, it's always good to brush up and I feel smart answering each question they've posed so far correctly.

Re: arched vs cupped wrist in key #3: I wish there was discussion that said: cuppers need to feel arched, and guys with too much arch need to feel more cupped, but instead there was more sweeping information made about this. Small nitpick that I have no doubt is discussed with the student on an individual basis, but it's so key to know to have a puncher's chance at self teaching if you're a high handicapper. Sort of the "exaggeration of the opposite of what you do" thing to make a change. Also, I'd like to have seen discussion of these wrist positions at P4 and why certain players use different wrist conditions, like Dustin Johnson vs. Ben hogan for example.

First disc down. Almost every golfer would benefit knowing this shit. The bubba savants are the only ones excluded.

Disc Two: Good production value and content so far. 100% recommended to the new golfer and the good golfer who doesn't know much about mechanics but would like to. I liked brushing up chipping here, even if Erik just helped us with that. Short disc. Ended quickly.

Disc Three: James Hirschfield in the house! Is he the English Steve Sieracki? I'm still not stumped, blurting out answers before the instructors can. I definitely feel like Tracy Flick from Election right now. This educated hands section is great because the stack and tilt DVD and book leaves this critical shit out, even though they do tell you this stuff if you go buy a lesson from them.

The right index finger discussion is fairly new to me, even though I own a PBS. Good stuff on grip variations. Posture discussion very important.

Disc Four: These DVDs answer so many questions that Erik and Mike have already answered for me a3_biggrin.gif I use the wall drill probably every day in my apartment a1_smile.gif I like this sand trap wall drill to reduce cupping and rehinging in flippers.

Man weight forward-handle forward-steady head solves like every problem in golf, at least, at 99.9% of the amateur level a3_biggrin.gif love how simple this stuff is, threaded with the important details... Is that awesome impact sound dubbed post production?... No matter... This DVD series is a great marriage of stack and tilt, Morad, TGM, old school stuff, and new school stuff... I like this easy drill of stopping at impact and checking the angle of the face... So simple. I'm doing this at the range next time for fun...ball flight laws discussion, awesome... On my third bowl of cereal. Means I'm enjoying myself... Classic half swing chipping drill... Need to do this more.

Disc Five: massive cupping of the wrist and no backswing extension for student one.... Looks like my old swing.... This shit is so key for people to see, how the process of camera- range-teacher relationships are actually supposed to function... I feel smart predicting what Dave is going to say... Or rather, i feel like a good student of you guys knowing what he's going to say...like the language Chuck uses when he says to "stretch..." wow, she naturally doesn't over rotate her forearms in the takeaway, at least on that practice swing... This is really cool seeing how they treat a student after they hit the piece they want... Student two... Flipping.... More half swings with arched wrists....let's see what they say.... Yup... Oh right, weight more forward too, oops. Obviously... I love Hearing how they are approaching this... Nice, here comes the chipping drill... Wow he got it after one try. Oh youth.... Talent is overrated at the amateur level... It's all about the right information in the right amount in the right order... Student three... Shoulders over rotating with no hip slide.... No flat wrist... Standing up too much.... Ahhh, no left tilt going back, good call Dave, but he has slow motion access and I don't hehe.... All standard stuff.... The world needs about 10,000 more Dave Wedziks!... Ok, I love how he introduces this guy to like five pieces at once without overwhelming the student... Student four... No hip slide, all shoulders again, not enough depth... Ahhh, arm lifting. Better language than me from Dave.... Wish Dave would bring up ankle rolling, namely the front foot rolling on its outstep to assist hip slide... And I know he knows that because he wrote a post about it on his site two years ago a3_biggrin.gif... Wow love how chuck holds the guy's belt so he stays more centered on the backswing.... Awesome.... This is great...I'm using this on my dad this weekend.

Awwwwwwwwwwwww it's over. Too short a1_smile.gif

Good times. Thanks for the fun evening, golf evolution and Chuck Evans! Worth the 100 bones. Recommended to anyone in the mood to learn. I feel like a good student though right now. Proud of myself. Also, I feel better organized in my mind. My favorite part was watching Dave approach students. Thanks for making this.
post #50 of 93
With some time to digest the DVD, I can say its great. I'm realizing now how genius it is making the sweet spot path one of the five keys. Gonna watch it again sometime this week.
post #51 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

Got mine today. My review is here in a stream of consciousness fashion.
Disc One: It was a good brush up on stuff I knew already, but of course, I'm an avid reader of Erik's and Mike's posts, and also I consider myself a good student. That said, it's always good to brush up and I feel smart answering each question they've posed so far correctly.
Re: arched vs cupped wrist in key #3: I wish there was discussion that said: cuppers need to feel arched, and guys with too much arch need to feel more cupped, but instead there was more sweeping information made about this. Small nitpick that I have no doubt is discussed with the student on an individual basis, but it's so key to know to have a puncher's chance at self teaching if you're a high handicapper. Sort of the "exaggeration of the opposite of what you do" thing to make a change. Also, I'd like to have seen discussion of these wrist positions at P4 and why certain players use different wrist conditions, like Dustin Johnson vs. Ben hogan for example.
First disc down. Almost every golfer would benefit knowing this shit. The bubba savants are the only ones excluded.
Disc Two: Good production value and content so far. 100% recommended to the new golfer and the good golfer who doesn't know much about mechanics but would like to. I liked brushing up chipping here, even if Erik just helped us with that. Short disc. Ended quickly.
Disc Three: James Hirschfield in the house! Is he the English Steve Sieracki? I'm still not stumped, blurting out answers before the instructors can. I definitely feel like Tracy Flick from Election right now. This educated hands section is great because the stack and tilt DVD and book leaves this critical shit out, even though they do tell you this stuff if you go buy a lesson from them.
The right index finger discussion is fairly new to me, even though I own a PBS. Good stuff on grip variations. Posture discussion very important.
Disc Four: These DVDs answer so many questions that Erik and Mike have already answered for me a3_biggrin.gif I use the wall drill probably every day in my apartment a1_smile.gif I like this sand trap wall drill to reduce cupping and rehinging in flippers.
Man weight forward-handle forward-steady head solves like every problem in golf, at least, at 99.9% of the amateur level a3_biggrin.gif love how simple this stuff is, threaded with the important details... Is that awesome impact sound dubbed post production?... No matter... This DVD series is a great marriage of stack and tilt, Morad, TGM, old school stuff, and new school stuff... I like this easy drill of stopping at impact and checking the angle of the face... So simple. I'm doing this at the range next time for fun...ball flight laws discussion, awesome... On my third bowl of cereal. Means I'm enjoying myself... Classic half swing chipping drill... Need to do this more.
Disc Five: massive cupping of the wrist and no backswing extension for student one.... Looks like my old swing.... This shit is so key for people to see, how the process of camera- range-teacher relationships are actually supposed to function... I feel smart predicting what Dave is going to say... Or rather, i feel like a good student of you guys knowing what he's going to say...like the language Chuck uses when he says to "stretch..." wow, she naturally doesn't over rotate her forearms in the takeaway, at least on that practice swing... This is really cool seeing how they treat a student after they hit the piece they want... Student two... Flipping.... More half swings with arched wrists....let's see what they say.... Yup... Oh right, weight more forward too, oops. Obviously... I love Hearing how they are approaching this... Nice, here comes the chipping drill... Wow he got it after one try. Oh youth.... Talent is overrated at the amateur level... It's all about the right information in the right amount in the right order... Student three... Shoulders over rotating with no hip slide.... No flat wrist... Standing up too much.... Ahhh, no left tilt going back, good call Dave, but he has slow motion access and I don't hehe.... All standard stuff.... The world needs about 10,000 more Dave Wedziks!... Ok, I love how he introduces this guy to like five pieces at once without overwhelming the student... Student four... No hip slide, all shoulders again, not enough depth... Ahhh, arm lifting. Better language than me from Dave.... Wish Dave would bring up ankle rolling, namely the front foot rolling on its outstep to assist hip slide... And I know he knows that because he wrote a post about it on his site two years ago a3_biggrin.gif... Wow love how chuck holds the guy's belt so he stays more centered on the backswing.... Awesome.... This is great...I'm using this on my dad this weekend.
Awwwwwwwwwwwww it's over. Too short a1_smile.gif
Good times. Thanks for the fun evening, golf evolution and Chuck Evans! Worth the 100 bones. Recommended to anyone in the mood to learn. I feel like a good student though right now. Proud of myself. Also, I feel better organized in my mind. My favorite part was watching Dave approach students. Thanks for making this.

 

Is there a thread here about this 'Wall drill'? If so, could you point me to it please?

Ta

post #52 of 93

Apologies if this has been asked before. I am enjoying the DVDs. Any chance of them being released in downloadable form that we may put into iTunes to run on other devices?

 

Thanks,

Kevin

post #53 of 93

I got my DVDs in today, and eagerly watched through them all. For reference, I'm a horrible golfer a1_smile.gif

 

Disc 1 - Introduction, is a good overview of what the 5 simple keys are, with a fairly detailed explanation of what each key means, and some basic feels and demonstrations of each. As the keys progress, the explanations get more complex, but that's expected -- How could you otherwise explain sweet spot path or clubface control without explaining swing path, face angle, and all of that fun stuff. The good thing is that the explanations are kept at a fairly high level, and don't get bogged down in technicalities like Mike & Andy do on the S&T DVDs. The interactions between Chuck, Dave, and Bob are natural, not forced, and very easy to follow along with. If you aren't a regular reader of this site & already familiar with the swing geometry, this is a fantastic introduction to how and why things happen the way they do in a golf swing.

 

Disc 2 - Swings. This is where things really start to get interesting for me. This is broken into 3 sections, Chipping, Pitching, and Full swing. Chuck & Dave walk Bob through a series of small lessons demonstrating how to properly hit each type of shot. This DVD reminds me of The Impact Zone, except in video form. The principal of the flat left wrist is heavily worked on here.

 

In the first section (chipping), Chuck grabs a few 2x4s, and uses those as training aids. To me, this is a fantastic drill, as I can see the benefits of laying them out the way they do, to control left wrist and face angle. However, this is where things start to break down a little for me as a horrible golfer. 

 

In the drill, Chuck mentions placing one of the 2x4s 6 inches behind the ball. Well me being who I am, I go in my garage, grab a 2x4 and a tape measure, place that sucker exactly 6 inches behind the ball, and proceed to fail miserably at the chipping drill. I found it completely impossible to avoid hitting the wood on the backswing, even if I kept my hands still and just broke my wrists back like a pitch instead of a chip. The only way I could even get close was to straighten my legs, lift my shoulders, bend my right arm up and break my wrists, all at once... Not something that you'd ever want to do in a backswing. The problem is that as a horrible golfer, I don't have the knowledge to know how far back the 2x4 should be placed, so I am counting on the DVD to tell me. After experimentation, I found that about 10 inches of distance was what was needed to have a reasonable chipping stroke.

 

They also go a bit into educated hands here, starting the ball in different directions via clubface control. This was nice to see as it's not something that I've really ever seen mentioned in other golf DVDs.

 

The pitching drill was unsurprising for the most part, pretty much what I expected after watching the chipping portion. The section on followthrough was good, that was something I hadn't been doing properly and it was a good explanation on how to achieve that post-impact look of extension. 

 

The full swing was even less surprising than the pitching, once you get to this part it's obvious how things are going to go. 

 

Overall good stuff on this one, but I wish it was remotely as easy to do as they make it look a1_smile.gif

 

 

Disc 3 - Speed and Setup Behold, a wild and mysterious James appears! The first segment shows James hitting a driver, demonstrating how to sequence the body to generate more clubhead speed by leveraging the body properly. 

 

Later, the dvd starts going into educated hands, and what that means. Then a segment on the grip, with a emphasis on the pressure point that's on the trail hand index finger (don't remember what that's called). Finally a segment on general posture, with notes about head, back, and shoulder positions.

 

 

Disc 4 - Drills Another aptly-titled DVD, this is all about drills. There are several for each key, some of which have been seen on here before a few times (the wall drill, for example). All look to be good ones, I especially liked the bunker drills for forward shaft lean, I'll have to try those next time I'm out somewhere that has practice bunkers.

 

 

Disc 5 - Lessons I'll be honest, I didn't pay as close attention to this one as the others. It shows several students, each with some swing faults, and Chuck & Dave set them on the path to glory & low scores. It's a good quiz to see if you can find out the problems in the swing before they get into fixing things.

 

 

Overall thoughts Overall, this is a good set of DVDs. The production value is pretty good, not as good as the Tom Watson or Phil Mickelson DVDs, but better than the S&T 2.0 ones. There's some audio leveling issues, Chuck's microphone was much louder than anyone else's, so I had to keep adjusting the tv volume.

 

The content that was there is solid, but as a horrible golfer I wish there was more detail in some areas. For example, they talk a lot about sliding the hips, and then bringing the sweet spot to the ball -- ok, how do I do that? Pull my hands? Rotate shoulders? Turn hips? I can come up with lots of ways to do that, and 99% of them are probably wrong and will instantly add 20 strokes to your game just by thinking about them. I wish they would have went into more detail about all of the movements necessary so that I wouldn't need to go try and figure it out myself.

 

In the end, I am happy that I bought these, and I think that golfers of nearly any skill level would benefit from them. 

post #54 of 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeri View Post

 There's some audio leveling issues, Chuck's microphone was much louder than anyone else's, so I had to keep adjusting the tv volume.

 

 

This made me laugh b2_tongue.gif

 

Thanks for the feedback, I think you made some good points.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › PureStrike 5 Simple Keys DVDs - Now Available