or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Titleist 910f 3 wood for a 15 Handicap?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Titleist 910f 3 wood for a 15 Handicap?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hello people, I was wondering if a Titleist 910f 3 wood would be a good choice for a 15 handicap. I plan to go to the titleist demo day coming up at a local course but for now I was looking for some insight. Is this club for the lower handicaps or does it fit all players? Thanks for the help.

post #2 of 15

Yes. Test it out. I rarely use mine off the deck but often use it off the tee. I feel like the ability to adjust loft makes it a club that can stay in my bag for years. Stock shaft choices are terrific -- odds are one will fit you.

post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrduck7 View Post

Hello people, I was wondering if a Titleist 910f 3 wood would be a good choice for a 15 handicap. I plan to go to the titleist demo day coming up at a local course but for now I was looking for some insight. Is this club for the lower handicaps or does it fit all players? Thanks for the help.


Don't be afraid to try it out.  But also keep in mind that there may be another 3 wood from another company that works better.  Don't just buy a club because it says Titleist on it.  Try a bunch of different 3 woods and find the best one that works for you.

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take the advice and try some others.

post #5 of 15

i have both the 910f 13 and 17 degree but really dont like the gear effect on the face. Its too much for me personally. i dont care for that much curve anymore. 

 

just remember- adjustable clubs are training clubs. they will never be as light as a real fast club can be because of the extra metal at the head increasing weight and swingweight. I like a bit of weight but some good players I know do not.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post

just remember- adjustable clubs are training clubs. they will never be as light as a real fast club can be because of the extra metal at the head increasing weight and swingweight. I like a bit of weight but some good players I know do not.

I don't follow??  I have a few adjustable clubs (including the 910f in 15* - which I like) and none of them seem any heavier than the non-adjustables I've ever had.

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post

i have both the 910f 13 and 17 degree but really dont like the gear effect on the face. Its too much for me personally. i dont care for that much curve anymore. 

 

just remember- adjustable clubs are training clubs. they will never be as light as a real fast club can be because of the extra metal at the head increasing weight and swingweight. I like a bit of weight but some good players I know do not.

Well, the gear effect only comes into play on hits towards the toe or heel and is there to help bring the ball back online -- it's old school forgiveness.

 

I'm not exactly a strong guy, and with the right weight of shaft (the Basarra for me), the Titleist feels great as to weight and balance, better than the RBZ for me.

 

For the OP, the Titleist 910f feels great, better than other fairways I've demoed, it is direct, hot, and slightly metallic feeling with great sound. The head is not exactly "big", but at the same time, Titleist shaft lengths are more "traditional" than some other OEMs. I still like clubs slightly shorter - ordered my 910f 4 wood less .5 inches at 42 inches and they used a heavier removable weight to compensate.

 

Other OEMs use shafts lengths of 43.5 inches for a 3 wood - that may be tough for 15 cappers, so while Titleist doesn't have a large club head to promote forgiveness, the shorter length may help, and the smaller volume will promote playability.

 

You've just got to go out there and demo a few heads and see what works for you. And as a 15 hc, you might want to try a Titleist 4 wood- it will have less sidespin and you can adjust the loft downwards as you improve or increase loft to make it more forgiving. As to 4 woods versus 3 woods in general, you might try the 4 wood, or even go 5 wood, and then pick up a 3 wood when you get to single digits territory. Good luck.

post #8 of 15

Go online and find a Titleist fitting center and get fit. The fitting clubs in  the 910 family are the same as what you will buy due to the Surefit hosel. More important you can try different shafts. The shaft powers the club.

post #9 of 15

Great thing about the Titleist fairways is they have the 910F and the 910Fd, which has a deeper face.  If you like to use the 3-wood off of the tee, but tend to pop it up, the deeper face (with a higher CoG) is a great option.

 

My 910F 13.5* is hands down the best golf club I've ever owned.  They have about a million shaft options, though you're likely only to find 2 different shaft models (and associated varying flexes) at the major golf shops.

post #10 of 15

I recently purchased the 910F with Diamana Blue stiff shaft, and I must say I love it, it's great off the tee, nice high arc and performs well of the fairway and can be good in the rough if you have a decent lie, also the fact that's adjustable makes it even better value, I'm an 11 handicap and I believe this can help any golfer (as long as you have a decent swing)

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post
 

i have both the 910f 13 and 17 degree but really dont like the gear effect on the face. Its too much for me personally. i dont care for that much curve anymore. 

 

just remember- adjustable clubs are training clubs. they will never be as light as a real fast club can be because of the extra metal at the head increasing weight and swingweight. I like a bit of weight but some good players I know do not.

you my friend are an idiot

post #12 of 15
Well lets agree that I dont know you and I am picky about friends. I can be cordial however, unless I decide its a waste of time.

If you go back just a few decades, you will find an awareness, lost recently, of hickory shafts that were mid bend because of the nature of wood grain, with 16 degree 3wood heads. Good for the deckwork really, and their hidden secret was the bounce they had that made them even more forgiving. A fellow bogeying almost every hole might be more interested in the forgiveness offered by bounce in every club he hits, not just the 3w.

Titleist is not a easy club by design in the hot models. They are for those who work the shot and arent OTT and who have an understanding of how a wider swing offers both the time for the club to accelerate and a more shallow swing path. The clubs dont have super hot faces because those distance hitters need more control and already have distance. And the next guy that compares a 13 degree to a 15 needs to be asked why he is not man enough to hit a 2 wood 12 off the deck and has to have a whole extra degree of help.

Now that I have vented a bit lets get to it. There is 28 grams in an ounce. Most of my TM an Cally Adjustable drivers carry this weight. The lightest club in the bag is an ounce heavy with gearing. This is a reference to overall weight. TO REAL WEIGHT NOT BALANCE WEIGHT, OR WHAT YOU CALL SWING WEIGHT OR FEEL. Only this weight is gonna slow a swing speed. And not a lot. but some. its heavier and takes more energy to move. Especially if a high cap is already rerouting the club into multiple swing planes and losing energy in each transition of plane through the swing.

I dont consider my position idiotic, but I dont have much in your post to keep me from considering the possibility that you have never shot par.
post #13 of 15

Mr. @bobert you must follow up on your reply!  This being your first  post with that very negative answer! there must be more?

post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post
 

just remember- adjustable clubs are training clubs. they will never be as light as a real fast club can be because of the extra metal at the head increasing weight and swingweight. I like a bit of weight but some good players I know do not.

 

I disagree that a little extra weight necessarily makes them "training clubs."

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post
 

just remember- adjustable clubs are training clubs. they will never be as light as a real fast club can be because of the extra metal at the head increasing weight and swingweight. I like a bit of weight but some good players I know do not.

 

Swingweight is a measure of how the weight is distributed along the length of the club. A little additional weight in the head is easily compensated for elsewhere. A slight increase in overall weight, perhaps, but not necessarily any change at all in swingweight.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyputt View Post
 

 

just remember- adjustable clubs are training clubs. they will never be as light as a real fast club can be because of the extra metal at the head increasing weight and swingweight. I like a bit of weight but some good players I know do not.

 

Just as some do......

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Titleist 910f 3 wood for a 15 Handicap?