or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2012 John Deere Classic Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 John Deere Classic Discussion Thread - Page 2

post #19 of 31
Rooting for a 4-peat from Stricker.
post #20 of 31

go stricker!!!!!

post #21 of 31

based on the gaging, can they wash out the playoff and give the trophy to Stricker?

post #22 of 31

Zach Johnson had a great finish, and an awesome win!

post #23 of 31

One hell of a bunker shot! They make it look so easy...

post #24 of 31
LOL, I wondered why everybody was talking about Michelle Wie, and then noticed that these posts are from 6 years ago! Recycling is nice and all, but can't you cheapskates spring for a new thread?

Anyway, I was kind of sorry to see Stricker blow his shot at "equaling" Tiger with a four-peat. But the guy on CBS made up for it by saying Zach was "on the cusp of one of the biggest wins of his life." I hadn't realized that the John Deere was right up there with the Masters.
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocks View Post

But the guy on CBS made up for it by saying Zach was "on the cusp of one of the biggest wins of his life." I hadn't realized that the John Deere was right up there with the Masters.

 

I'm sure they said that because the Quad Cities is basically a hometown event for him.  I'm sure that the win did mean a great deal to ZJ--he's a grounded, family kind of guy.  The type of guy for which "home" is a word with special meaning, unlike your man-crush Tiger.

post #26 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

The type of guy for which "home" is a word with special meaning, unlike your man-crush Tiger.

This is me not taking the bait. In fact, I admit I'm kind of impressed at how you managed to insult two icons of the game in a single sentence.
post #27 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocks View Post

LOL, I wondered why everybody was talking about Michelle Wie, and then noticed that these posts are from 6 years ago! Recycling is nice and all, but can't you cheapskates spring for a new thread?
Anyway, I was kind of sorry to see Stricker blow his shot at "equaling" Tiger with a four-peat. But the guy on CBS made up for it by saying Zach was "on the cusp of one of the biggest wins of his life." I hadn't realized that the John Deere was right up there with the Masters.


I heard them talking earlier in the week about how Zach considered this his 5th major because of its proximity to his home.

 

I was conflicted in my rooting.  Stricker is a great guy and one of my favorites, but does he really belong in a group containing Young Tom (it was young Tom, wasn't it? not old Tom), Hagen, Sarazen, and Tiger?  I guess he would have had he done it, but maybe this is just an indication of just how hard it is to do, and why there are only 4 guys who ever have.

post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

Stricker is a great guy and one of my favorites, but does he really belong in a group containing Young Tom (it was young Tom, wasn't it? not old Tom), Hagen, Sarazen, and Tiger? 

No, winning the Deere four times in a row is not easy, but it's a lot easier than doing it at Bay Hill. When Stricker won it last year, its field strength was worth only 30 WGR points. The only regular tour event worth less was the Valero Texas Open, which, by the way, accounts for two of Zach Johnson's other wins. Bay Hill averaged over 60 WGR points in the years Tiger four-peated it. It's been a little under that more recently, now that so many Euros are in the top ten.

Ignoring the differences in eras, you have to say Hagen's four-peat was by far the most impressive --- not only did he do it in a major, but the PGA was match play at the time, and it took six 36-hole days to win (including the medal play qualifier, which even the previous year's champ had to get through), so he couldn't have a single off day in 24 days. Young Tom did it in a major, too, but the size of the fields in the Opens he won ranged from 8 to 18, and they only played three rounds of 12 holes each.
post #29 of 31

People actually stayed home and watched this event? Sorry, even the Sticker story wasn't enticing enough to want to watch this one... I went and hacked up a formerly nice course that's now turning into a cow pasture. Courses for sale that aren't being watered are so depressing.

post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Voyles View Post

People actually stayed home and watched this event? Sorry, even the Sticker story wasn't enticing enough to want to watch this one... I went and hacked up a formerly nice course that's now turning into a cow pasture. Courses for sale that aren't being watered are so depressing.
I watched the whole thing and enjoyed the tournament. Of course, I DVR'd it like I do all golf tournaments and watched in the evenings. Can't imagine watching golf live. With all the commercials, I'd fall asleep.

This allowed me to trudge through a 5 and a half hour round yesterday in the same 96 degree heat they were playing in. :)
post #31 of 31

All I want to know is how many times in PGA history has the first playoff hole started with both players hitting their second shots in the water and ending up double bogey?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2012 John Deere Classic Discussion Thread