or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Alignment Stick
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alignment Stick

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I carry 14 clubs in my bag, and an old Callaway driver shaft which I use as an alignment stick on the range.  It is only the shaft, no club head.  I know this may seem like an odd (and possibly very stupid) question seeing that it is clearly not a club, but since it is a golf club shaft does this count as a 15th club in my bag?

post #2 of 14

No.

Since it's no club, it doesn't count as one...

 

greetings

michi
 

post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown88 View Post

I carry 14 clubs in my bag, and an old Callaway driver shaft which I use as an alignment stick on the range.  It is only the shaft, no club head.  I know this may seem like an odd (and possibly very stupid) question seeing that it is clearly not a club, but since it is a golf club shaft does this count as a 15th club in my bag?

 

Just take care that you don't use it on the course or you would be in breach of Rule 14-3.

post #4 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

Just take care that you don't use it on the course or you would be in breach of Rule 14-3.

I don't see there being a time I would use it on a course...It's pretty hard to hit a ball without the club head :)

 

Joking aside, I would never use a training aid of any sort on the golf course.  Trying something new, or for training/learning purposes is something meant for the range in my opinion.

post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown88 View Post

I don't see there being a time I would use it on a course...It's pretty hard to hit a ball without the club head :)

 

Joking aside, I would never use a training aid of any sort on the golf course.  Trying something new, or for training/learning purposes is something meant for the range in my opinion.

 

I have seen people use such things on the course, which is why I mentioned it.

post #6 of 14
And which is why there is decision specifically addressing the situation.

 

 

14-3/10.3

Use of Rod During Round for Alignment or as Swing Aid

Q.During a stipulated round, a player uses a rod to check his alignment or his swing plane. What is the ruling?

A.The player is disqualified under Rule 14-3 as the rod is unusual equipment and such use, during the stipulated round, is not permitted.

Carrying the rod is not, of itself, a breach of a Rule.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown88 View Post

I carry 14 clubs in my bag, and an old Callaway driver shaft which I use as an alignment stick on the range.  It is only the shaft, no club head.  I know this may seem like an odd (and possibly very stupid) question seeing that it is clearly not a club, but since it is a golf club shaft does this count as a 15th club in my bag?

 

I see pros with alignment sticks in their bags during tournament play all the time, so they obviously don't count as clubs. It may be a little fuzzy when it's a club shaft without a head, though it shouldn't. But you know how the rules can be.

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post

 

 

14-3/10.3

Use of Rod During Round for Alignment or as Swing Aid

Q.During a stipulated round, a player uses a rod to check his alignment or his swing plane. What is the ruling?

A.The player is disqualified under Rule 14-3 as the rod is unusual equipment and such use, during the stipulated round, is not permitted.

Carrying the rod is not, of itself, a breach of a Rule.

 

This rule seems silly - because you can use your club (shaft) to help with alignment - before the shot.  Not that I use an alignment stick during a round of golf... I just find it silly that you can't use it... Especially when you can lay the golf club on the ground - make sure your stance line is where you want it - then pick the club up and make the swing.... And not incur a penalty.

post #9 of 14

You need to consider the reason for Rule 14-3.

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulesman View Post

 

 

14-3/10.3

Use of Rod During Round for Alignment or as Swing Aid

Q.During a stipulated round, a player uses a rod to check his alignment or his swing plane. What is the ruling?

A.The player is disqualified under Rule 14-3 as the rod is unusual equipment and such use, during the stipulated round, is not permitted.

Carrying the rod is not, of itself, a breach of a Rule.

Damn...there is a rule for everything apparently!!! Thanks for looking it up!

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

Just take care that you don't use it on the course or you would be in breach of Rule 14-3.


I have a related question.  I sometimes carry a "donut" in my bag that I can slip onto my driver and make it a weighted club.  Am I correct in thinking that I can use it on the first tee before I hit my tee shot (and hence before the stipulated round has begun) and then put it away in my bag so long as I never use it during the stipulated round?

 

Thanks,

post #12 of 14

Yes

post #13 of 14

I tend to just lay my club on the ground pointing towards my target, then position my feet before picking the club up. No unusual equipment with the same result.

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post


I have a related question.  I sometimes carry a "donut" in my bag that I can slip onto my driver and make it a weighted club.  Am I correct in thinking that I can use it on the first tee before I hit my tee shot (and hence before the stipulated round has begun) and then put it away in my bag so long as I never use it during the stipulated round?

 

Thanks,

 

Yes, your thinking is correct.  It would be considered a swing aid, and as such its use is not allowed during the stipulated round.  You can use a weighted training club as long as the design of the club is within the rules, and it counts as one of your 14 clubs selected for the round.

 

 

Quote:

14-3/10

Use of Training or Swing Aid During Round

 

Q.During a round, may a player make a stroke or a practice swing using a club with a weighted headcover or "doughnut" on it, or use any other device designed as a training or swing aid?

 

A.No. The player would be using an artificial device to assist him in his play in breach of Rule 14-3, but see also Decision 4-4a/7 for use of a weighted training club.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rules of Golf
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Rules of Golf › Alignment Stick