or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golfer Attacked for Slow Play
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Golfer Attacked for Slow Play - Page 3

post #37 of 120

Actually the act of intentionally hitting a golf ball at some one could be considered an assault or even as far as assault with a deadly weapon could it not?

If I was playing with my young son and daughter and some jack*** hit into us on purpose I would be calling the police department to file a complaint!!
 

post #38 of 120

The speed golf stuff is awesome, hard to believe that guy missed one fairway and hit every green in regulation lol. 

post #39 of 120

A few weeks ago me and my buddies were playing a course and it was pretty packed right off the tee. on hole 3, we were all pretty much to the right under some trees and about 170 out waiting for the green to clear. A ball bounces past us. hmm maybe it was an accident. As we were on the green we see balls landing just off the green from about where we were 170 ish. It was only a par 4. After the second time I noticed they were teenagers (like myself so Im not blaming teenagers) and I yell to them, "are you gonna hit up on us all day? there is a 2 cart back up at the next hole!" Mind you I wasn't in somebodies face yelling at him I was only slightly raising my voice towards home from across the fairway. 2 people didn't really say anything and one stubby dude like 5'9" all tattoed up comes flying at us in his cart and almost takes out my buddy, (who has proffesional baseball capabilities and is playing college). The guy only saw me and thought oh I can beat this dude up ( I am also 5'9" but much more average build) He gets out and starts yelling at me and clinching his fist when he notices my buddy 6'7" like 230 who goes to the gym everyday but wasnt getting in his face because he is too busy yelling at me. Some of his buddies are coming over at this point but much more calmly. This guy is still going off on me when my other buddy 6'3" 290 basically stands over him and shuts him down. By the time this guy realized he was about to get crushed by my goon squad I hang out with he starts to get pretty apologetic about the whole situation. It was very close to being an all out brawl. At the next par 3 we were all joking while waiting and after that par 3 we never saw them in our rear view mirror again. Going to show that we were not the ones slowing things down.

 

The end

post #40 of 120

I get some of you guys complaining about pace of play when one or even a few  groups are slowing up the entire course but I don't see that as often.  Most days when there are issues, the course is full and no single group to my knowledge is to blame. 

 

What annoys me is when the course is backed up like that and you get guys behind you that think they are too important to wait and start pushing when there's no place for us to go.  We can all rush to sit at the tee box together or time out our play so that we're playing at a slower pace but one group isn't pushing or hitting into another. 

 

Last week I had a group doing that, came up and asked to play through, I pointed to the group right in front of us playing their 2nd shot and asked where they planned to go that the group in front just teed off, he said we'll push them and play through them too, we're quick.  I said no, you can wait your turn like eveyrone else.  He said something under his breath, they got in their cart and drove off, I guess to fnd an opening they could slip into.  Five minutes later they we saw them driving back complaining about how slow everyone was. 

 

I get that some of you have other things to do, but I might not, so don't ruin my day because you're under pressure to get off the course in a fixed amount of time to go do your honey do's. 


Edited by newtogolf - 7/25/12 at 6:33pm
post #41 of 120

Statistically speaking, the average time for an 18 hole round of golf is 4-4.5 hours.   As long as the round is completed within that time frame, nobody has a right to complain about the pace of play.  

 

Anyone who expects others to play at a faster than the average pace, simply because they don't have 4.5 hours to spend, is just as rude as people who play slower than average.   If someone doesn't have 4.5 hours to spend on the golf course, perhaps they should either play 9 (if that is an option) or wait until a day when they do.

post #42 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post

Statistically speaking, the average time for an 18 hole round of golf is 4-4.5 hours.   As long as the round is completed within that time frame, nobody has a right to complain about the pace of play.  

 

Anyone who expects others to play at a faster than the average pace, simply because they don't have 4.5 hours to spend, is just as rude as people who play slower than average.   If someone doesn't have 4.5 hours to spend on the golf course, perhaps they should either play 9 (if that is an option) or wait until a day when they do.

 

Statistically speaking, I get cut off by morons on their cell phones while driving an average of twice a day. Does that mean I have no right to complain about it until the 3rd time?

 

Just because most people waste time while golfing doesn't make it right.

post #43 of 120

I think that we can all accept that on weekends when the course is full that that is not the time to play a 2.5 or 3.5 hr round of golf !!.On my local course  the weekdays it is almost vacant and the weekend is a mad house.I dont expect to play on Saturday and finish my round by a certain time.However on weekdays when the course is open and non crowded I should be able to play 18 holes with a cart in about 2 to 2.5 hrs.I get off of work at 2:30 and when I go home and ea,t take care of some housework etc. I can make it to the course by 5:30 - 6:00.In daylight savings time in the summer that gives me 2.5 hrs - 3 hrs to play my round.

 

What really yanks my chain is when I go to the course on a weekday and I come up on a slow foresome  thats taking all the time in the world.I mean when you hit your first ball into the woods,top the second shot, finally get on the green after six shots IS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO SPEND 5 MINUTES LINING UP THAT QUADRUPLE BOGEY PUTT??? I dont really care but when there is no one behind me and the course is wide open in front of you then hey LET A GUY PLAY THROUGH YOU RUDE INCONSIDERATE PEOPLE !!!
 

post #44 of 120

 No argument there, if one or two groups are slowing up play for everyone they should invite faster groups to play through.  If they refuse to let you play through just go around them, it's not worth the stress of an argument or hitting into them. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

I think that we can all accept that on weekends when the course is full that that is not the time to play a 2.5 or 3.5 hr round of golf !!.On my local course  the weekdays it is almost vacant and the weekend is a mad house.I dont expect to play on Saturday and finish my round by a certain time.However on weekdays when the course is open and non crowded I should be able to play 18 holes with a cart in about 2 to 2.5 hrs.I get off of work at 2:30 and when I go home and ea,t take care of some housework etc. I can make it to the course by 5:30 - 6:00.In daylight savings time in the summer that gives me 2.5 hrs - 3 hrs to play my round.

 

What really yanks my chain is when I go to the course on a weekday and I come up on a slow foresome  thats taking all the time in the world.I mean when you hit your first ball into the woods,top the second shot, finally get on the green after six shots IS IT REALLY NECESSARY TO SPEND 5 MINUTES LINING UP THAT QUADRUPLE BOGEY PUTT??? I dont really care but when there is no one behind me and the course is wide open in front of you then hey LET A GUY PLAY THROUGH YOU RUDE INCONSIDERATE PEOPLE !!!
 

post #45 of 120

Maybe it is the fact I'm still in school with no kids, girlfriend, or house to upkeep. I could see how that could affect your attitude for the round if there was some pressing issues, but when I golf, I make sure everything is ok to put on the back burner for a few hours to get a round in. If I think it is even close, I'll just play 9 with time to spare

post #46 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorg19 View Post

Maybe it is the fact I'm still in school with no kids, girlfriend, or house to upkeep. I could see how that could affect your attitude for the round if there was some pressing issues, but when I golf, I make sure everything is ok to put on the back burner for a few hours to get a round in. If I think it is even close, I'll just play 9 with time to spare

Yeah, the only time I've ever gotten stressed out by slow players in front of me is when I think they might cause me to not be able to finish my round ... usually due to running out of daylight.

 

When I go out, I'm prepared for the worst (5 hours ... yes, I know that's not technically the worst) and happy with 4.5, and pleasantly surprised by 4.25 or 4.

post #47 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

Statistically speaking, I get cut off by morons on their cell phones while driving an average of twice a day. Does that mean I have no right to complain about it until the 3rd time?

 

Just because most people waste time while golfing doesn't make it right.

 

Not exactly a good comparison.  Distracted driving is a hazard that can lead to death or serious physical injury.   A group taking 4.75 hours to complete 18 holes of golf does not in and of itself, lead to either one.

 

Most of the courses I have played tell you right up front that the expected pace is 4-4.5 hours.   Players meeting that pace are not wrong, regardless of whether you think they are wasting time or not.  Asking or expecting them to play faster just because you want to is.  

post #48 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

Statistically speaking, I get cut off by morons on their cell phones while driving an average of twice a day. Does that mean I have no right to complain about it until the 3rd time?

 

Just because most people waste time while golfing doesn't make it right.

 

Not exactly a good comparison.  Distracted driving is a hazard that can lead to death or serious physical injury.   A group taking 4.75 hours to complete 18 holes of golf does not in and of itself, lead to either one.

 

Most of the courses I have played tell you right up front that the expected pace is 4-4.5 hours.   Players meeting that pace are not wrong, regardless of whether you think they are wasting time or not.  Asking or expecting them to play faster just because you want to is.  

 

The point you are missing is that just because something is the norm, it doesn't mean it's necessarily good.  Just because courses are setting expectations for a given pace (which they are forced to do because so many golfers are slow), doesn't mean that pace couldn't be or shouldn't be better. Your failure to see that is indicative of the problem.

post #49 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

The point you are missing is that just because something is the norm, it doesn't mean it's necessarily good.  Just because courses are setting expectations for a given pace (which they are forced to do because so many golfers are slow), doesn't mean that pace couldn't be or shouldn't be better. Your failure to see that is indicative of the problem.

 

I understand the concept that golf could be played faster than 4-4.5.   What I am saying (and apparently you and others are not getting) is, that asking others to conform to what your (and I mean that generically, not specifically you)  pace of play is, is just as rude as what slow players are been accused of being...   

 

Rocket Man says he can play 18 in 2-2.5 hours.   I can (and do) play 18 in under 2, so compared to me, he is slow.   Yet, if I came up behind him, I would not get bent out of shape about it.   It is what it is.    If I don't have the time to play at what is considered a normal pace (or in that case, the pace he is playing), I need to adjust how many holes I am playing, not expect him to speed up to MY pace of play...

 

And regardless of what you may think, courses set tee times based on what the norms are.   Just because those norms don't fit your (or my) criteria, doesn't mean they are wrong.    Your failure to see that is indicative of someone who doesn't understand the concept that the world does not revolve around any one person's time table.  If that time table is slower than yours (or mine or anyone else in particular), tough.  You (or I or whomever) need to make the adjustment, not the other way around.


Edited by teamroper60 - 7/25/12 at 11:56pm
post #50 of 120

In my opinion anyone who is complaining about speed of play on anyone else needs to spend time in a combat zone, that will really make a person appreciative for the time they do have on a golf course, whether it be 3 or 5 hours. Likewise, how about just coming up on someone and asking in a nice civil manner. "hey, mind if I play through"

 

I went out golfing two days ago and came up on an older couple for a few holes until 17th hole where they were both still waiting on the tee box, mind you the next group was about 300 plus yards out on a par 5. They asked us if we'd like to join them for the last two holes, we figured why not. Anyways this lady couldn't hit the ball more than 50-75 yards, and the guy wasn't much better.

 

Whats funny was she was saying things the whole time to me about my friend (who has literally not played golf in 10 years, and when he did, it was for a couple months) about her being a Marshall and how she appreciated us playing from the forward tees. Or how he shouldn't be hitting a ball from the out of bounds territory (mind you both her and her husband hit balls down there)

 

Anyways, point being, don't get your panties in a wad, enjoy the time you got, if you don't have the average time to play a around (4.5 hours), no one is forcing you to complete all 18 holes.

post #51 of 120

I'm not going to get mad at anyone who takes 4 1/2 hours to play 18 holes, with that being said last week we were behind a group 3 men 1 woman and by the 6th hole we heard the marshall tell them they were a hole behind, the course has timers every few holes set at 4 1/2 hours and we were right on time even a few minutes ahead. They asked if we wanted to play through but we said they were doing fine and the marshall was just trying to rush them, this is a tough course I play at so slow rounds happen lots of times but these people were doing what they were suppossed to do and were getting jumped on for it.

post #52 of 120

Slow Play has killed golf. I have 3-4 friends who were very decent golfers (single digit handicaps)  that literally quit because they couldnt devote an entire day to doing it because of slow play. 

 

The marshals have ZERO authority 99% of the time and the courses are more than happy to OVER-book a course to make a little extra money. The perfect storm to quit the game altogether.

 

Play on

post #53 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

The point you are missing is that just because something is the norm, it doesn't mean it's necessarily good.  Just because courses are setting expectations for a given pace (which they are forced to do because so many golfers are slow), doesn't mean that pace couldn't be or shouldn't be better. Your failure to see that is indicative of the problem.

 

I understand the concept that golf could be played faster than 4-4.5.   What I am saying (and apparently you and others are not getting) is, that asking others to conform to what your (and I mean that generically, not specifically you)  pace of play is, is just as rude as what slow players are been accused of being...   

 

Rocket Man says he can play 18 in 2-2.5 hours.   I can (and do) play 18 in under 2, so compared to me, he is slow.   Yet, if I came up behind him, I would not get bent out of shape about it.   It is what it is.    If I don't have the time to play at what is considered a normal pace (or in that case, the pace he is playing), I need to adjust how many holes I am playing, not expect him to speed up to MY pace of play...

 

And regardless of what you may think, courses set tee times based on what the norms are.   Just because those norms don't fit your (or my) criteria, doesn't mean they are wrong.    Your failure to see that is indicative of someone who doesn't understand the concept that the world does not revolve around any one person's time table.  If that time table is slower than yours (or mine or anyone else in particular), tough.  You (or I or whomever) need to make the adjustment, not the other way around.

 

Yeah, I know courses set tee times based on the norms. I said it in my previous post.  My point was that it's unfortunate that the norms are so much worse than they should be.

 

So you think everyone should play at whatever pace they want because there is no "right" pace. I disagree. I think you would too if you really thought about it. Is 6 hours too long? What about 8? Obviously there's a pace at which, if someone is playing slower than that pace, any sane person would agree that it would "too slow".  For me, and just about every other reasonable person out there, if you're taking 5 hours, you're too slow. All I'm asking is people not wast time.  I'm not asking anyone to rush, just don't wast time. If everyone did that, rounds would not be 5 hours, they'd be closer to 3.5 (as they are in Great Britain for example, where golfers have more respect for the game and for fellow golfers than they do here in the US), and the majority of people would be happier.  But that will never happen because there are too many people like you, who think it's ok for people to take as long as they want to play a round of golf, and that I'm being rude by expecting them to keep a good pace.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyanSD View Post

Anyways, point being, don't get your panties in a wad, enjoy the time you got, if you don't have the average time to play a around (4.5 hours), no one is forcing you to complete all 18 holes.

 

I enjoy my time on the course. I just enjoy it more if I'm not being inconvenienced by thoughtless oafs who don't understand that their unnecessarily slow play is inconveniencing every group behind them.

post #54 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

Yeah, I know courses set tee times based on the norms. I said it in my previous post.  My point was that it's unfortunate that the norms are so much worse than they should be.

 

So you think everyone should play at whatever pace they want because there is no "right" pace. I disagree. I think you would too if you really thought about it. Is 6 hours too long? What about 8? Obviously there's a pace at which, if someone is playing slower than that pace, any sane person would agree that it would "too slow".  For me, and just about every other reasonable person out there, if you're taking 5 hours, you're too slow. All I'm asking is people not wast time.  I'm not asking anyone to rush, just don't wast time. If everyone did that, rounds would not be 5 hours, they'd be closer to 3.5 (as they are in Great Britain for example, where golfers have more respect for the game and for fellow golfers than they do here in the US), and the majority of people would be happier.  But that will never happen because there are too many people like you, who think it's ok for people to take as long as they want to play a round of golf, and that I'm being rude by expecting them to keep a good pace.

 

 

I enjoy my time on the course. I just enjoy it more if I'm not being inconvenienced by thoughtless oafs who don't understand that their unnecessarily slow play is inconveniencing every group behind them.

 

You. Are. Wrong.

 

Most slow play is caused not by people who are deliberately lolligagging because they feel entitled as you say, but because:

 

a) they suck

b) they are not knowledgeable of the many subtle ways to play efficiently due to either being beginners or just casual golfers

c) a synergistic combination of a) and b)

 

Look, I have been playing 25 yrs, and I have observed that most slow play comes from a). How the hell are you going to get someone who shoots a 130 and loses 14 balls to play a 3.5 hr round?? You can't exclude bad or ignorant players from playing golf, so just relax and enjoy your round regardless of the pace.

 

Quote:

Slow Play has killed golf. I have 3-4 friends who were very decent golfers (single digit handicaps)  that literally quit because they couldnt devote an entire day to doing it because of slow play. 

 

The marshals have ZERO authority 99% of the time and the courses are more than happy to OVER-book a course to make a little extra money. The perfect storm to quit the game altogether.

 

Please quit. Pretty Please.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Golfer Attacked for Slow Play