or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Golfingdad) - Page 10

post #163 of 423

You've regressed.

 

:cry::whistle:

post #164 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

You've regressed.

d1_bigcry.gife2_whistling.gif
Yeah, I was afraid you'd say that. :( ;)
post #165 of 423
Very nice! It is amazing how naturally things come at that age. Love the socks!
post #166 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

You've regressed.

d1_bigcry.gife2_whistling.gif
LMAO. That was my first thought too, gee I bet @Golfingdad wishes he could hit that position now.

Less brain, more body!!!
post #167 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Very nice! It is amazing how naturally things come at that age. Love the socks!

 

No kidding:

 

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Hidden in a spoiler since it's not really on topic.

post #168 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

No kidding:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)


Hidden in a spoiler since it's not really on topic.

Geez, it only took me 33 years to find an impact position half that good.

BTW, I hope you have a great birthday GD!
post #169 of 423

Yep that A5.5 is awesome.  Then you played too much baseball! :-$

 

Hope you have a great birthday, sorry I couldn't make it, up in the Bay Area.  

post #170 of 423
Thread Starter 

Here is the latest video I sent in to Evolvr ...

During this session I'm working on trying to get my legs straighter at impact.  I don't have a particularly good feel for this yet (as you can see by the awkward end of my rehearsals) but I've got a little more direction from @sk golf on the last lesson.  "It's an athletic move ... might feel like I'm jumping."  I know what it looks like when others do it - Tiger Woods for one, Lexi Thompson as well - but I haven't translated it yet to something I can understand.

 

Anywho's ... on this last lesson he also added another piece:  The exact same thing @Ernest Jones is working on, shallowing out the shaft from A4-A5-A6.  You can see in DTL that as soon as I start the downswing, the shaft angle gets steep and points well inside the golf ball.  Using some of the feels @iacas suggested for Ernest today, I went out to the range and had a pretty good time.

 

A lot of rehearsals in slow motion, a few poses at A4-A6 with an alignment stick coming out the butt end of my shaft so I can see where I'm pointing, and in between I hit a few balls.  The feel that seemed to work the best was feeling like my left wrist was rotating clockwise as I was starting the downswing.  I don't know the terminology yet ... is that "palmar flexion?"  I don't know ... anyways, I know that move is OK because James had suggested it in a past lesson.

 

Also, combine this with the fact that I'm working on a slightly weaker grip to eliminate any overdraws, and I've got my work cut out for me!!

post #171 of 423

Looking good, A4 is solid!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

A lot of rehearsals in slow motion, a few poses at A4-A6 with an alignment stick coming out the butt end of my shaft so I can see where I'm pointing, and in between I hit a few balls.  The feel that seemed to work the best was feeling like my left wrist was rotating clockwise as I was starting the downswing.  I don't know the terminology yet ... is that "palmar flexion?"  I don't know ... anyways, I know that move is OK because James had suggested it in a past lesson.

 

Palmar flexion

 

post #172 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Looking good, A4 is solid!


Palmar flexion


Thanks! Stephan said the same thing ... It's the best I've looked yet at A4. It's very encouraging to hear!

And thanks for the DJ pic ... That is exactly what I'm trying to feel, just not quite that extreme. :). And palmar flexion sounds a lot fancier than "trying to rev the motorcycle engine." ;)
post #173 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Here is the latest video I sent in to Evolvr ...

 

During this session I'm working on trying to get my legs straighter at impact.  I don't have a particularly good feel for this yet (as you can see by the awkward end of my rehearsals) but I've got a little more direction from @sk golf on the last lesson.  "It's an athletic move ... might feel like I'm jumping."  I know what it looks like when others do it - Tiger Woods for one, Lexi Thompson as well - but I haven't translated it yet to something I can understand.

This is where I finally was able to get this picture on the right.  I really like this move, it is athletic, but it also feels almost violent/powerful.  It has to be, because it pretty much happens from A5.5 or so to A7.  I can't image how Tiger did it for so long with flaring that left foot out.  Hurts my knee just thinking about it.  I sometimes like to feel this from A5.5-A7.  I just hold the club at about A5.5 and then fire the hips/legs, when I do it right the club head has no choice but to throw itself towards impact. You can see how using this feel like "jumping" or whatever it is for you to be correct adds so much speed to the swing, and shallows out the AOA at the same time.  This is a great move.   I tried to get this for a long time by feeling the pushing into the ground with the left leg, or squashing something under the left foot.  All that I would do is squat into the downswing lowering my center and head and I am not fast or strong enough to get out of that quickly enough and hit a lot of fat shots.  So just keep trying different feels, it will come.

 

  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

Anywho's ... on this last lesson he also added another piece:  The exact same thing @Ernest Jones is working on, shallowing out the shaft from A4-A5-A6.  You can see in DTL that as soon as I start the downswing, the shaft angle gets steep and points well inside the golf ball.  Using some of the feels @iacas suggested for Ernest today, I went out to the range and had a pretty good time.

 

A lot of rehearsals in slow motion, a few poses at A4-A6 with an alignment stick coming out the butt end of my shaft so I can see where I'm pointing, and in between I hit a few balls.  The feel that seemed to work the best was feeling like my left wrist was rotating clockwise as I was starting the downswing.  I don't know the terminology yet ... is that "palmar flexion?"  I don't know ... anyways, I know that move is OK because James had suggested it in a past lesson.

 

Also, combine this with the fact that I'm working on a slightly weaker grip to eliminate any overdraws, and I've got my work cut out for me!!

Very nice changes with this well done.   That is great stuff!  Keep at it.  I really like your A4 in this as well. 

post #174 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

This is where I finally was able to get this picture on the right.  I really like this move, it is athletic, but it also feels almost violent/powerful.  It has to be, because it pretty much happens from A5.5 or so to A7.  I can't image how Tiger did it for so long with flaring that left foot out.  Hurts my knee just thinking about it.  I sometimes like to feel this from A5.5-A7.  I just hold the club at about A5.5 and then fire the hips/legs, when I do it right the club head has no choice but to throw itself towards impact. You can see how using this feel like "jumping" or whatever it is for you to be correct adds so much speed to the swing, and shallows out the AOA at the same time.  This is a great move.   I tried to get this for a long time by feeling the pushing into the ground with the left leg, or squashing something under the left foot.  All that I would do is squat into the downswing lowering my center and head and I am not fast or strong enough to get out of that quickly enough and hit a lot of fat shots.  So just keep trying different feels, it will come.

 

 

Very nice changes with this well done.   That is great stuff!  Keep at it.  I really like your A4 in this as well.

Thanks Nathan!!  Sometimes just hearing people describe their issues gives you ideas.  Your first bold sentence reminded me of this old video on Shawn's swing thread.  I think this drill would be a good place for me to start trying to isolate that "jumping" feel (skip to 1:01):

 

And then your other bold sentence reminded me of a video that Mike made a long time ago (I thought it was also from Beach's swing thread but couldn't find it) where he was talking about something similar.  I can picture it ... he's standing in a parking lot squishing bugs and taking partial swings. ;)

 

Anyways, I'll be trying these feels out soon.  Thanks!!

post #175 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Anyways, I'll be trying these feels out soon.  Thanks!!

Good luck, it is a great one when you find that feel that clicks for it!

post #176 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

This is where I finally was able to get this picture on the right.  I really like this move, it is athletic, but it also feels almost violent/powerful.  It has to be, because it pretty much happens from A5.5 or so to A7.  I can't image how Tiger did it for so long with flaring that left foot out.  Hurts my knee just thinking about it.  I sometimes like to feel this from A5.5-A7.  I just hold the club at about A5.5 and then fire the hips/legs, when I do it right the club head has no choice but to throw itself towards impact. You can see how using this feel like "jumping" or whatever it is for you to be correct adds so much speed to the swing, and shallows out the AOA at the same time.  This is a great move.   I tried to get this for a long time by feeling the pushing into the ground with the left leg, or squashing something under the left foot.  All that I would do is squat into the downswing lowering my center and head and I am not fast or strong enough to get out of that quickly enough and hit a lot of fat shots.  So just keep trying different feels, it will come.

 

 

Very nice changes with this well done.   That is great stuff!  Keep at it.  I really like your A4 in this as well.

Thanks Nathan!!  Sometimes just hearing people describe their issues gives you ideas.  Your first bold sentence reminded me of this old video on Shawn's swing thread.  I think this drill would be a good place for me to start trying to isolate that "jumping" feel (skip to 1:01):

 

And then your other bold sentence reminded me of a video that Mike made a long time ago (I thought it was also from Beach's swing thread but couldn't find it) where he was talking about something similar.  I can picture it ... he's standing in a parking lot squishing bugs and taking partial swings. ;)

 

Anyways, I'll be trying these feels out soon.  Thanks!!


Dana's voice is the sound of improvement. :-)

post #177 of 423

@Golfingdad A4 is looking good.  Next time send in a little 80 yard 7 iron working on laying the club down with the "jumping" sensation. Keep it up!

post #178 of 423
Thread Starter 

Here is the unedited video of my first attempt at this little half-swing "jumping" drill.  With a 7 iron, and including one full swing at the end for kicks ...

 

 

And here are a couple of PW's at the end of this practice session.  It sort of felt David Duval-y or Annika-y to me, in that in my "jumping" I seemed to want to look up.  I hit these both really well too, by the way.

post #179 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

Here is the unedited video of my first attempt at this little half-swing "jumping" drill.  With a 7 iron, and including one full swing at the end for kicks ...

 

Can you squat more before the jumping? It's tough to jump when you don't have much knee flex. Some people can't jump a bunch (almost nobody can do Tiger level jumps… including sometimes Tiger when he fats his 3W sometimes), but I think you can do a bit more.

post #180 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Can you squat more before the jumping? It's tough to jump when you don't have much knee flex. Some people can't jump a bunch (almost nobody can do Tiger level jumps… including sometimes Tiger when he fats his 3W sometimes), but I think you can do a bit more.

Sure, I don't see why not.  I'll give it a try next time out.  Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)