or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Golfingdad) - Page 23

post #397 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

Wait.  Is getting an accurate scatter plot with multiple clubs and a large-ish sample size a requirement for implementing LSW approaches?!


It seems like getting the center of your distribution (and it's size) would help you plan the approach better.

post #398 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

Wait.  Is getting an accurate scatter plot with multiple clubs and a large-ish sample size a requirement for implementing LSW approaches?!

 

Requirement? No.

 

One of the many things given in the book that can help? Yes.

 

And it doesn't have to be SUPER accurate to be helpful. As @Golfingdad said he could probably have estimated his Shot Zone based on his play.

post #399 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Requirement? No.

 

One of the many things given in the book that can help? Yes.

 

And it doesn't have to be SUPER accurate to be helpful. As @Golfingdad said he could probably have estimated his Shot Zone based on his play.

 

Well, screw it.  Rather than wondering what's in the book, I've gone ahead and ordered it :dance:

post #400 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

 

Well, screw it.  Rather than wondering what's in the book, I've gone ahead and ordered it :dance:

 

You mean you didn't do this earlier??? You'll be glad you did. :beer: 

post #401 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

You mean you didn't do this earlier??? You'll be glad you did. :beer: 

 

Ha.  I'll blame the first kid coming I think just after the book was released...

post #402 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

Thanks, I was just wondering, because I have no idea how I'm really going to do it.

 

I might need to get a little creative. Such as making a trip to RD in Irvine to get my coordinates on the hitting bays? I bring in one club at a time and "test" out other clubs while there? Another alternative is to pay for the $19 fitting at Golfsmith and spend an hour or so getting my shots mapped? One more possibility might be to hit balls on the course when it is not so busy, and use a rangefinder to map out the distances.

 

Let me know whatever you decide to do, I might just need to mirror your actions. :beer:

I have an email in to a couple of places with Trackmen to see if they will rent out some time.  I'll let you know if either of them pan out.  Until then, I'm stuck just estimating on the range.  So, here is the plot I promised with the target and scale.  Numbers are in yards.

This shows an oval of about 14 yards long by 14 or 15 yards wide for my PW.  In looking at it more closely, the only thing that concerns me is the fact that there are only 2 shots near the top that cause the entire oval to be about 6 yards taller.  Now I'm not so sure I should count those.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

Well, screw it.  Rather than wondering what's in the book, I've gone ahead and ordered it :dance:

Nice.  I was going to try and sell you one of my extra copies at a premium (they're autographed, you know) but now maybe I'll save them until the signatures are worth something. :-P

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

Ha.  I'll blame the first kid coming I think just after the book was released...

Alright, that's a pretty good excuse.  We'll let it slide this time.  (BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

post #403 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I have an email in to a couple of places with Trackmen to see if they will rent out some time.  I'll let you know if either of them pan out.  Until then, I'm stuck just estimating on the range.  So, here is the plot I promised with the target and scale.  Numbers are in yards.

 

Please do, and if the rates are reasonable maybe we can share the cost and both use it. Thanks.

post #404 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

(BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

 

Ha, I half jokingly advocated a number of mythical or ancient polytheistic god names.  Kind of turned into a running joke.  Though if we have a son I still kinda want to name him Atlas :-P

post #405 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I have an email in to a couple of places with Trackmen to see if they will rent out some time.  I'll let you know if either of them pan out.  Until then, I'm stuck just estimating on the range.  So, here is the plot I promised with the target and scale.  Numbers are in yards.

 

 

There's a place kind of in between us in Rowland heights with George Pinnell. He runs something called a "Trakman Combine". You hit 60 shots at a range of distances between 60 yards to 180 yards and driver. You get a score associated with accuracy and distance control. Running a "Combine" costs $150, so I'm not quite consistent enough to make this worthwhile. Something in the future for me, but maybe you can take advantage of it?

 

Grant Waite is featured in the video: http://georgepinnell.com/trackman-combine/

Grant scored 82.9, which is a pro level, of course.

 

George seems like a very nice person, and seems to know how to use the Trakman very well.

post #406 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

(BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

:dance: Congrats!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

 

Ha, I half jokingly advocated a number of mythical or ancient polytheistic god names.  Kind of turned into a running joke.  Though if we have a son I still kinda want to name him Atlas :-P

Not a god or mythical figure, but my wife wanted to name one of our kids Themistocles. She was serious.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

 

 

There's a place kind of in between us in Rowland heights with George Pinnell. He runs something called a "Trakman Combine". You hit 60 shots at a range of distances between 60 yards to 180 yards and driver. You get a score associated with accuracy and distance control. Running a "Combine" costs $150, so I'm not quite consistent enough to make this worthwhile. Something in the future for me, but maybe you can take advantage of it?

 

Grant Waite is featured in the video: http://georgepinnell.com/trackman-combine/

Grant scored 82.9, which is a pro level, of course.

 

George seems like a very nice person, and seems to know how to use the Trakman very well.

There is this place I know in Erie with a Flightscope :-D

post #407 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post
 

:dance: Congrats!

 

Not a god or mythical figure, but my wife wanted to name one of our kids Themistocles. She was serious.

 

There is this place I know in Erie with a Flightscope :-D


True, maybe that's part of the "playing around" on Saturday morning and early afternoon? One can only hope?O:)

post #408 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

This shows an oval of about 14 yards long by 14 or 15 yards wide for my PW.  In looking at it more closely, the only thing that concerns me is the fact that there are only 2 shots near the top that cause the entire oval to be about 6 yards taller.  Now I'm not so sure I should count those.

 

Yes, I'd eliminate those two. They're outside the 80%. Not the 90%, but they're a stretch, so I'd get rid of them. If you suddenly start missing greens long and left, add them back in.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post
 

True, maybe that's part of the "playing around" on Saturday morning and early afternoon? One can only hope?O:)

 

Saturday morning is booked. We'll be available at about 1 or 2pm Saturday afternoon.

 

The FlightScope will be available for people to chart their Shot Zones. It's not capable of emailing, though, so as dumb as it is, you'll just have to hit your shots, take a photo with your phone, and then clear them and hit the next club.

post #409 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 
 

Alright, that's a pretty good excuse.  We'll let it slide this time.  (BTW, I just spent 2 hours in an ultrasound room - most of the time just waiting for the Dr. - for kid #3.  We tried to kill the time thinking of a name - I suggested Thor, wife didn't go for it - but we came up empty.)

 

Congrats!!!

post #410 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
 

 

Ha, I half jokingly advocated a number of mythical or ancient polytheistic god names.  Kind of turned into a running joke.  Though if we have a son I still kinda want to name him Atlas :-P

You should hang onto that one, because that, is a pretty badass name, if you ask me.  (I promise we won't use it ;))

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post
 

:dance: Congrats!

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post
 

Congrats!!!

Thanks guys!  We're pretty excited ... even if it was a "happy accident." :-P

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

Yes, I'd eliminate those two. They're outside the 80%. Not the 90%, but they're a stretch, so I'd get rid of them. If you suddenly start missing greens long and left, add them back in.

Perfect, I will do that.  Missing long and left is rarely a problem except with my gap wedge.  I still have a bit too large of a gap between it and my sand wedge so when I'm just a hair outside of the SW and have to hit a 90% GW, I sometimes nuke it.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

The FlightScope will be available for people to chart their Shot Zones. It's not capable of emailing, though, so as dumb as it is, you'll just have to hit your shots, take a photo with your phone, and then clear them and hit the next club.

Sooooooo jealous!!!  Take lots of pics for us guys!!!!!

post #411 of 423
Thread Starter 

Double posts are allowed in your own thread, right??;-)

 

So I'm thinking of getting a Game Golf.  I have a bunch of GC money at golfgalaxy burning a hole in my pocket and think that it might be a great way to help create shot zones and track much better stats a free app on the iphone.

 

What do you guys think?  @newtogolf don't you have one?  You like it??  Is there a yearly fee?

post #412 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

So I'm thinking of getting a Game Golf.  I have a bunch of GC money at golfgalaxy burning a hole in my pocket and think that it might be a great way to help create shot zones and track much better stats a free app on the iphone.

 

I'm having them send a few. We may have one as a prize for the MVP at our Erie get-together.

 

I'm curious about the accuracy, particularly on putts. How does it know where the hole is, for example?

 

I know for things like the fairway, you can adjust it after the round on your computer to nudge a ball a few yards (since GPS is only within about ten feet or so).

post #413 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

I'm having them send a few. We may have one as a prize for the MVP at our Erie get-together.

 

I'm curious about the accuracy, particularly on putts. How does it know where the hole is, for example?

 

I know for things like the fairway, you can adjust it after the round on your computer to nudge a ball a few yards (since GPS is only within about ten feet or so).

LOL ... I was just reading a couple of reviews and that was my exact thought ... how can it accurately chart the putts if it doesn't know where you're trying to go?

 

Also, the reviews seemed similar in that it had a lot of bugs still.  It's new enough that maybe I'll wait a bit so i can get a few more takes on it before I take the plunge. :)

post #414 of 423
Thread Starter 

Hmmm .... looks like they are about to get themselves some competition:  https://arccosgolf.com/

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)