or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Golfingdad) - Page 5

post #73 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Welcome to the right elbow club (REC).  The first rule of the REC.... We don't talk about the REC.

LOL.  Yeah, my problem is not so much the elbow going around the back as it is the elbow being so high relative to the left.  This is something I've been working on for awhile (thanks to a couple Evolvr lessons from Stephan) but as you can see ... not with much success.  Granted, the camera angle exascerbates the difference, but the right elbow is still way too high.

 

My latest lesson (from James) has me working on getting the hips turning more in the backswing, which in turn should provide more room for that elbow, and with more room, it should be easier to get it a little more in front and a little further down.

 

Sounds super easy in theory, not so much in practice. b4_blushing.gif

post #74 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Took my first rear view video today (sorry about that) and I don't look nearly as bad as I thought I did.  Not good, but could be worse.  A little closer to Erik's "more gooder" photo than his "dumbass on the left" photo.c2_beer.gif

 

Still a lot of work to do though.

 

 

Loving the technical terminology there....Looking good....

post #75 of 423
Thread Starter 

So today I headed back out with a couple of new items to work on.

 

1.  James wants me to allow the right elbow to fold easier and sooner in my backswing.  I keep my arms straight too long and get too extended.  Seems easy enough, been doing it in front of the mirror (I thought) and it felt pretty good.

 

2.  He noticed that my right hand was separated from the left.  He wanted me to move my left thumb a little left and snug up that right hand to the left.

 

Here's a picture demonstrating the "drastic" changes I made from last week until today:

 

 

See the differences?  Yeah, me neither. g1_wacko.gif  This point in the swing is where the elbow started to fold in both cases (last week on the left)  I'll just keep trying to figure this out in the mirror for now.

 

The grip thing, however, was causing me problems.  By moving my left thumb left (basically straight down the shaft) and pulling my right hand up to better cover that thumb, I think I, in effect, weakened my grip.  I was almost exclusively hitting push-cuts today, and when I pulled out the driver, moved on to enormous push-slices.

 

Rats.

post #76 of 423
Thread Starter 

Swing changes are really starting to come together lately.  I am hitting the ball is good as I ever have.  Here's my most recent round from Saturday:

 

 

Granted, it's not the hardest course in the world, nor is it the longest, but hey, baby steps, right?  As far as my irons go, I really had only 2 mishits all day.  (My current standards don't require any hint of Key #5 to count as a solid hit.  For example, my tee shot on 17 was a push cut - when I was going for a push draw - that didn't leave me in a very good spot, but it was struck solidly, so for now that counts.)  My first miss was on #2, where I had a simple Gap Wedge from 120 and the only miss that could get me into any trouble was long.  Naturally, I bladed it over the green, and down the 20 foot slope leading to that double.  Ironically, my other mishit was a thinned and pulled 5 iron from 200 yards on #13.  It hit just short of a greenside bunker, then bounced over the bunker, caught the slope, and rolled to pin high, about 25 feet left of the hole.  My best shots of the day were my approaches 15 and 18.  The first was a 6 iron from about 180, and it was one of those shots that make your entire day. You know, the ones that fly EXACTLY how you envisioned them in your head just prior.  Ended up about 25 feet behind the pin with another eagle putt.  Missed it, but left myself with a virtual tap in for birdie.  On 18, I had about 190 from the center of the fairway and hit another solid 6 iron, that caught the slope and ended up about 20 feet from the hole.  Unfortunately, this one was for birdie because I skied my tee shot about 150, and then topped my 3 wood another 100 or so to get to the spot I should have been lying one.

 

This weekend I have another tournament, so we'll see if I've learned anything from the last few.  (A lot of nerves, and not a lot of good golfing)

post #77 of 423

That's awesome, keep up the good work, great score!

 

c2_beer.gif

post #78 of 423

I know you are close Drew.  When we played last week, you hit some pro like shots.  I still remember Hole #11!!  Power Fade in the middle of the fairway.  Short iron to 4ft.  Birdie putt drained.  That's how it gets done!

post #79 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I know you are close Drew.  When we played last week, you hit some pro like shots.  I still remember Hole #11!!  Power Fade in the middle of the fairway.  Short iron to 4ft.  Birdie putt drained.  That's how it gets done!

That's why we play!

 

It's nice to keep these stats though.  Here's a conversation I had with my dad in the car afterwards:

 

Me: "Dang, I only hit 5 fairways today"

Him (half facetiously):  "I always say that hitting fairways is overrated."

 

Now, without the detailed stats, it'd be easy to agree with him, but if you look at the chart, it's pretty clear that my current "glaring weakness" is still the driver.  On those 5 holes that I actually hit the fairway, I was 4 under par!  And on #5 I hit my 15 foot birdie putt dead center and was 1/2 roll from another birdie.  +7 on the rest of the holes and it took some breaks to get there too.  Twice I was within about 15 feet of being OB but got a couple of nice breaks.

 

It's just really nice to see where the strokes pile up.

post #80 of 423

How far off the fairway?  Just barely, or were all of them like the two "15 feet from OB"?   How well do you hit your 3W?  In prepping for a match one summer, I played three holes one day with my driver and made 3 double bogies by taking too aggressive of lines off the tee.  The next day I played the same 3 holes but teed off with my 3W instead and played them at - 1.   

 

From following your thread for a bit, you look like you are getting more to the "management" stage and just need to play to your strengths while you continue to iron out the last few things. 

post #81 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post

How far off the fairway?  Just barely, or were all of them like the two "15 feet from OB"?   How well do you hit your 3W?  In prepping for a match one summer, I played three holes one day with my driver and made 3 double bogies by taking too aggressive of lines off the tee.  The next day I played the same 3 holes but teed off with my 3W instead and played them at - 1.   

 

From following your thread for a bit, you look like you are getting more to the "management" stage and just need to play to your strengths while you continue to iron out the last few things. 

Hmmm ... let's see.

 

#2:  This hole parallels 1 and I hit a solid push towards the #1 fairway, probably 15 yards right of my fairway.

#3:  Drew it (hooked it, really) about 10 yards left, not bad at all.

#6:  Pushed a 3 wood 10 yards left of fairway, also not into too much trouble.

#8:  Funky hole where you either lay back or have to hit a big fade.  I'm OK at that, but overcooked it about 5 yards right of fairway (On this hole OB is 8 yards right of fairway ;))

#10:  Solid straight push 15 yards right

#12:  Tight hole, used 3 wood, biggest miss of the day, push cut about 30 yards right (across #13 fairway) nearly OB. :(

#16:  Another hook, trickled across the cart path just enough that the trees got in the way.  10 yards left of fairway, would've been fine if fairway didn't slope hard that way.

#18:  Darn near whiffed the dang thing and almost gave my new driver its first idiot mark. :)

 

So, all in all, now that I added it up, not nearly as bad as it has been in the past.  The very recent past too.  I would be good for some combination of a nasty pull-hook or a giant push slice.  I've been using Dave's right toes up drill lately and that makes it so hard for me to pull hook it (caused by driving my right knee out towards the ball) that I can basically "try" to hook it, which in turn prevents the big slice.

 

But, yes, you are totally right about me playing to my strengths now.  I've realized that I don't need the driver on a lot of holes.  The course I'm playing Sunday will require me to keep it in the fairway as much as possible, so the driver will come out sparingly.  I will probably be teeing off with my 4 iron a lot ... even on some par 5's. :)

post #82 of 423
Thread Starter 

OK, played in another tournament today.  Golf Channel Amateur Tour at Tijeras Creek, Par 72, shot an 84 ... good for a tie for 4th place.  The way I've been hitting the ball lately, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed, but I take a lot of positives from this.  I was less affected by the nerves and butterflies today, for one.  But I'm kicking myself for a couple of silly mistakes that really hurt.

 

I started on #10 and hit two quality shots, but was 40 feet from the pin because dufus here was reading the pin sheet for hole #1.  And, of course, I 3-putted from there.  I also 3-putted once more on the back for another bogey (on a par 3), and drove into a fairway bunker on another hole, also leading to a bogey.  Otherwise, it was all pars.  While it could have easily been an even par 9 holes, I'm not complaining about a 39 for the first 9 holes in tournament conditions.

 

Hole #1, I hit my worst shot of the day ... pull-hooked my tee shot into the brush, lost it, and "parred" with my provisional for a double.  Played 1 over for the next 3 holes, leaving me at +6 after 13.  This is where I made my biggest mistake of the day.  #5 is a 157 yard par 3 with water short and right.  The pin is back, so its playing about 165 and the green also appears to slope pretty severely from back to front.  Lastly, the wind is in my face.  It's not strong, but it seems to be gusting.  165 is a perfect distance for an 8 iron, but I figure that with the wind, it might balloon, and if I swing anything hard, it looks like I can suck it back pretty far, so I opt for a knock down 7.  Well, I don't exactly practice knock-downs that much, and it hit it pretty solidly, and I way over estimated the wind.  Flew the green, bounced over the hill behind the green, down the slope and just under the OB fence.  Put my provisional (8 iron this time) on the green, but 3 putted again for a triple bogey 6.  Damage done and that was pretty much all she wrote.  I limped home with 3 bogeys and a par.

 

Overall, struck the ball pretty well.  Even though I only hit 5/14 fairways, other than #1, everything was fairly close to the fairway and playable.  Putting under pressure could certainly be improved.  Everything was tentative and short, and I made nothing.

 

Back at it in two weeks!

post #83 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

OK, played in another tournament today.  Golf Channel Amateur Tour at Tijeras Creek, Par 72, shot an 84 ... good for a tie for 4th place.  The way I've been hitting the ball lately, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed, but I take a lot of positives from this.  I was less affected by the nerves and butterflies today, for one.  But I'm kicking myself for a couple of silly mistakes that really hurt.

 

I started on #10 and hit two quality shots, but was 40 feet from the pin because dufus here was reading the pin sheet for hole #1.  And, of course, I 3-putted from there.  I also 3-putted once more on the back for another bogey (on a par 3), and drove into a fairway bunker on another hole, also leading to a bogey.  Otherwise, it was all pars.  While it could have easily been an even par 9 holes, I'm not complaining about a 39 for the first 9 holes in tournament conditions.

 

Hole #1, I hit my worst shot of the day ... pull-hooked my tee shot into the brush, lost it, and "parred" with my provisional for a double.  Played 1 over for the next 3 holes, leaving me at +6 after 13.  This is where I made my biggest mistake of the day.  #5 is a 157 yard par 3 with water short and right.  The pin is back, so its playing about 165 and the green also appears to slope pretty severely from back to front.  Lastly, the wind is in my face.  It's not strong, but it seems to be gusting.  165 is a perfect distance for an 8 iron, but I figure that with the wind, it might balloon, and if I swing anything hard, it looks like I can suck it back pretty far, so I opt for a knock down 7.  Well, I don't exactly practice knock-downs that much, and it hit it pretty solidly, and I way over estimated the wind.  Flew the green, bounced over the hill behind the green, down the slope and just under the OB fence.  Put my provisional (8 iron this time) on the green, but 3 putted again for a triple bogey 6.  Damage done and that was pretty much all she wrote.  I limped home with 3 bogeys and a par.

 

Overall, struck the ball pretty well.  Even though I only hit 5/14 fairways, other than #1, everything was fairly close to the fairway and playable.  Putting under pressure could certainly be improved.  Everything was tentative and short, and I made nothing.

 

Back at it in two weeks!

Nice job GD!  I believe this is your lowest score under tournament conditions, right?  Keep you head up, and learn from the mistakes on the Par 3 and the pull-hook.  It happens.  The good news is you are improving and hitting some great shots.  The last several times we have played, you have been hitting the ball better and better. 

post #84 of 423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Nice job GD!  I believe this is your lowest score under tournament conditions, right?  Keep you head up, and learn from the mistakes on the Par 3 and the pull-hook.  It happens.  The good news is you are improving and hitting some great shots.  The last several times we have played, you have been hitting the ball better and better. 
Yup, by 4 strokes. I know I'm getting better and the more tournaments I play, the less I am bothered by the butterflies. :)
post #85 of 423

Nice job under tournament pressure.

post #86 of 423
Seems like you are getting more and more comfortable with tournament golf. That is great to see.
post #87 of 423

Nice going!  The provisional rule really stinks for us amatuers as well.  It is not like we have people out there looking where our shots are landing and helping to find the ball.  That is a tough break that would have made for an even better round. 

post #88 of 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Nice job under tournament pressure.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchepp View Post

Seems like you are getting more and more comfortable with tournament golf. That is great to see.

I'll go along with this.  Keep playing in them and soon you won't think about it being a "tournament".  It will just be a round of golf.  

post #89 of 423
Thread Starter 

Haven't updated in awhile, not because I haven't been playing or practicing, but just because I haven't been taking videos (and the ones I have taken, I've sent into evolvr but been too lazy to upload to youtube).b2_tongue.gif

 

Anyway, I got the chance to receive some in-person instruction from Mike and Erik at a mini 5Sk school they gave on Friday.  Evolvr is fantastic, but sometimes it really helps to mix in the face-to-face instruction.  James has been telling me to fix something in my grip and I had it wrong all along.  It took Mike 3 seconds to show me exactly what James meant and, voila, problem solved.  Here are a few stills of what I was working on (and will be for the foreseeable future) ...

 

This is my favorite one ... the difference in the elbow position is fairly subtle (maybe it's 1" more in front of me on the right?), however, the resulting difference in the shaft plane is pretty drastic.

 

 

The rotation in this one is a little harder to see thanks to my snazzy sweater vest covering my even snazzier white belt on the left, b2_tongue.gif but again, that elbow position is noticeable. As is, like Mike mentions, the right arm stretching away from the chest (closer to the camera) on the right.  (I'm going to petition the USGA to make the little blue ball legal for use during play) c2_beer.gif

 

 

This is a great one for me to see.  To get to that position on the right, it FEELS like I'm picking the club straight up from A1 to A2.  Almost like I'm hinging my wrists straight towards my nose.  Shows you how reliable FEEL is. :)

 

I'm off to the range to get some more work in, and if I have some time I'll take a video of myself trying out my new pitching technique.

 

One more thing ... here's my scorecard from Saturday's little TST tournament:

I think my biggest problem is my driving.  My current goal is to eliminate the black numbers from the scorecard.  Bogies are fine, but it's those stupid "others" that really hurt my scores.  They all stem from driving, too.  (The double on 8 was a perfectly struck shot combined with a mis-club, so I overshot the green ... that happens)  I think it's in my head too.  I get tentative and try to "aim" the ball because I'm scared to miss wildly.  The result?  I miss wildly. b3_huh.gif

 

I swear if I can figure out that stupid driver my handicap (which is 8.8 now and will be 8.4 on the 15th) would drop by 5 strokes!


Edited by Golfingdad - 4/9/13 at 3:02pm
post #90 of 423

Do you make full swings with the blue ball?  How big (diameter) is it?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)