or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (Golfingdad) - Page 6

post #91 of 425
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

Do you make full swings with the blue ball?  How big (diameter) is it?

I think you can, although you'll lose it on the follow through.  I was just doing little half swing punch shots, and slow motion full backswings to the top, along with sort of a pump drill type downswing.  I tried a few virtual full swings, but I think it's probably (at least for now) better served for the little shots and slow practice swings.

 

It's maybe 8" or so in diameter.  It is an actual golf training aid, not just a rubber ball, so it's got a couple little concave parts, I assume, to fit your elbows into.  Although a rubber ball of the same size would work just fine too if you already have one.  But those little concavities helped me to keep from dropping it all the time so I liked it.  I'm getting myself one.  Mike told me the name of the thing, but of course, I forgot.d2_doh.gif

post #92 of 425
Pipoe I think. They reviewed it on here last year or so.

EDIT* yep it's pipoe. Type it in the forum search and you'll everything you need to know.
post #93 of 425
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Pipoe I think. They reviewed it on here last year or so.

EDIT* yep it's pipoe. Type it in the forum search and you'll everything you need to know.

That's it!!!!!!!!  Thanks Ernest.c2_beer.gif

 

http://www.pipoe.com/#!drills/c1enr

post #94 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

That's it!!!!!!!!  Thanks Ernest.c2_beer.gif

http://www.pipoe.com/#!drills/c1enr

I may have a crappy swing but I got a great memory!
post #95 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

I may have a crappy swing but I got a great memory!

Or at least great Googling abilities. a2_wink.gif
post #96 of 425
Thread Starter 

As promised, here is my pitching video from today.  Seriously guys, this method is the real deal.  The worst, chunkiest, shot I hit today still left me with a 30' putt for (hopefully ;)) a par.  With my old, leading-edge style chip/pitch/whatever you want to call it, that same shot goes 2 feet.  Anyways, in this video I hit 3 with my 59* to the near hole, then switch to my 54.5 and hit a few to the far hole (the first one nearly goes in) and I also threw in one or two to the near hole with the 54.5.

 

 

P.S.  What can I say ... it's sweater vest season for me.

b2_tongue.gif

post #97 of 425

Very nice, I have been working this method for a month or two as well.  It really makes a big difference.  Nice work.

post #98 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

So today I headed back out with a couple of new items to work on.

 

1.  James wants me to allow the right elbow to fold easier and sooner in my backswing.  I keep my arms straight too long and get too extended.  Seems easy enough, been doing it in front of the mirror (I thought) and it felt pretty good.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

This is my favorite one ... the difference in the elbow position is fairly subtle (maybe it's 1" more in front of me on the right?), however, the resulting difference in the shaft plane is pretty drastic.

 

 

 

 

I might be missing something obvious here: Before, you were working on folding the right elbow sooner, to keep it from getting too extended (backswing, right?).  I thought we were supposed to try to keep the right elbow straighter on the backswing (like in Eric's thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/35195/shorter-probably-better-swing-keep-the-right-arm-straight). Were you overdoing it--too much of a good thing?

 

Now, the problem is that the right arm was too "narrow," and by keeping elbows closer together you get a "wider" right arm, stretching out away from the chest. (From A5-A7?) Different problems in the right elbow since we're talking about different parts of the swing? Elbows closer to each other, but farther from the chest?  (I don't think I've come across the narrow and wide right arm terms before. Narrow or wide in relation to what?  Wide is "punch" elbow?)

 

(I'm not questioning what you're saying or the instruction they're giving you.  Quite the contrary--just trying to clarify what needed to be fixed in what part of the swing. Thanks.)

post #99 of 425
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Swede View Post

 

I might be missing something obvious here: Before, you were working on folding the right elbow sooner, to keep it from getting too extended (backswing, right?).  I thought we were supposed to try to keep the right elbow straighter on the backswing (like in Eric's thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/35195/shorter-probably-better-swing-keep-the-right-arm-straight). Were you overdoing it--too much of a good thing?

 

Now, the problem is that the right arm was too "narrow," and by keeping elbows closer together you get a "wider" right arm, stretching out away from the chest. (From A5-A7?) Different problems in the right elbow since we're talking about different parts of the swing? Elbows closer to each other, but farther from the chest?  (I don't think I've come across the narrow and wide right arm terms before. Narrow or wide in relation to what?  Wide is "punch" elbow?)

 

(I'm not questioning what you're saying or the instruction they're giving you.  Quite the contrary--just trying to clarify what needed to be fixed in what part of the swing. Thanks.)

No worries at all!  That's why we all do this ... to learn and question and learn some more!  (unless we're bomberman ;))

 

I'm certainly no swing expert and in my trying to explain stuff, I could be getting it wrong.  It's probably just that ... my explanation of what James wanted, and why, is off.  This is what I think ... What I was doing in some of those older videos was to keep my right arm straight for so long that once I started bending it, it got way too "punchy" and around "behind me" leading to the clubhead tipping out and my downswing being really steep (like almost vertical :))

 

Regarding Mike's use of the term "narrow," I believe he means too close to the chest, leading to it getting bent beyond 90*.  Basically, it's all bunched up.  So the idea is to get the elbow folding sooner AND try to have more "pitch" AND get my hands stretched out behind me AND have a little more torso rotation, (whew, thats a lot of "ands") such that, were you to see a posterior view at A4, there would be a nice little gap between the right side shirt seam and the right tricep, like so ...

 

 

as opposed to (I was never this bad - I don't think anybody was - he's exxagerating!) ...

post #100 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Swede View Post

 

I might be missing something obvious here: Before, you were working on folding the right elbow sooner, to keep it from getting too extended (backswing, right?).  I thought we were supposed to try to keep the right elbow straighter on the backswing (like in Eric's thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/35195/shorter-probably-better-swing-keep-the-right-arm-straight). Were you overdoing it--too much of a good thing?

 

Now, the problem is that the right arm was too "narrow," and by keeping elbows closer together you get a "wider" right arm, stretching out away from the chest. (From A5-A7?) Different problems in the right elbow since we're talking about different parts of the swing? Elbows closer to each other, but farther from the chest?  (I don't think I've come across the narrow and wide right arm terms before. Narrow or wide in relation to what?  Wide is "punch" elbow?)

 

(I'm not questioning what you're saying or the instruction they're giving you.  Quite the contrary--just trying to clarify what needed to be fixed in what part of the swing. Thanks.)

 

I think it's just a terminology thing.  Narrow refers to the angle between the arms and the torso.  You can be wide with a pitch or punch elbow.  I don't really have a preference, just what helps the golfer be the most consistent.  GD will probably always favor a "punch" elbow but the feel will be "pitch".  A big piece for GD to get the elbows better is to keep his turning rate up, keep turning and stretching throughout the entire backswing.

 

This might be a couple good threads for you to check out

http://thesandtrap.com/t/54572/right-elbow-spacing-at-a4

http://thesandtrap.com/t/62804/steady-head-drill-and-how-painting-mental-pictures-can-help-your-swing

 

Some pics, let me know if you need further clarification

 

 

 

EDIT: Nice job GD, didn't see your post until after mine.  Shows you have a good understanding of what to do and the cause and effect.  

post #101 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

As promised, here is my pitching video from today.  Seriously guys, this method is the real deal.  The worst, chunkiest, shot I hit today still left me with a 30' putt for (hopefully ;)) a par.  With my old, leading-edge style chip/pitch/whatever you want to call it, that same shot goes 2 feet.  Anyways, in this video I hit 3 with my 59* to the near hole, then switch to my 54.5 and hit a few to the far hole (the first one nearly goes in) and I also threw in one or two to the near hole with the 54.5.

 

 

P.S.  What can I say ... it's sweater vest season for me.

b2_tongue.gif

So you're powering the chip/pitch by dropping your hands...........but why do you want to use the big turn at impact? I would have thought that it could complicate your initial direction if you don't time it right. 

 

yeah, nice threads too!a3_biggrin.gif

post #102 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

So you're powering the chip/pitch by dropping your hands...........but why do you want to use the big turn at impact? I would have thought that it could complicate your initial direction if you don't time it right. 

yeah, nice threads too!a3_biggrin.gif

Because that big turn is what causes the hands to drop.
post #103 of 425
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

So you're powering the chip/pitch by dropping your hands...........but why do you want to use the big turn at impact? I would have thought that it could complicate your initial direction if you don't time it right. 

yeah, nice threads too!a3_biggrin.gif
What Jamo said. The turn helps get the hands dropping and provides the speed, and its all about the speed. :).
post #104 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

What Jamo said. The turn helps get the hands dropping and provides the speed, and its all about the speed. :).

Did they do that demonstration where you take a swing back to A2.5 and only hit the ball like 5 feet? I like that one.
post #105 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

So you're powering the chip/pitch by dropping your hands...........but why do you want to use the big turn at impact? I would have thought that it could complicate your initial direction if you don't time it right. 

 

yeah, nice threads too!a3_biggrin.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


What Jamo said. The turn helps get the hands dropping and provides the speed, and its all about the speed. :).

 

 

turning the shoulders keeps the hands in front of the club head... and accelerates the clubhead. Like gd said... all about the speed! 

post #106 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post


What Jamo said. The turn helps get the hands dropping and provides the speed, and its all about the speed. :).

It seems kind of counter intuitive to use the body. I mean the balls only got to go 20 meters or so. It's not like you need a real bunch of power. Do you mean the right amount of power?

post #107 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

It seems kind of counter intuitive to use the body. I mean the balls only got to go 20 meters or so. It's not like you need a real bunch of power. Do you mean the right amount of power?

 

Yes but if you just use the hands/arms it's easy to flip. Using the body accelerates the club and keeps the hands in front.... just because it accelerates doesn't mean it has to go far 

post #108 of 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

Do you make full swings with the blue ball?  How big (diameter) is it?

 

http://thesandtrap.com/b/training/pipoe_review

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

It seems kind of counter intuitive to use the body. I mean the balls only got to go 20 meters or so. It's not like you need a real bunch of power. Do you mean the right amount of power?

 

Plenty of threads on this one dude. Go look; this is OT for this thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (Golfingdad)