or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Traveling With Clubs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traveling With Clubs - Page 3

post #37 of 64

okay checked the link, look for the * at the botom you have to pay for the packaging (box) add another $25 each way. still this is more convenent to ship, the reason, you have to mess with the clubs checking them in  hopefully they dont get damaged in transit hopefully they even make it to the destination repeat on the way back. our total cost $150 round trip. and dont forget some airlines charge extra for the clubs $50 bucks each way.

post #38 of 64

Golf Ted?? Mr. Chambers and I are flabergasted...at you...

 

Or remember the three guys video conferencing their boss from a golf course with a false office mock-up behind them and then it falls down? I think I pulled a muscle the first time I saw that one..

post #39 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

Montana? Pebble I understand, but what GC are you going to in Montana?

http://www.oldworks.org/index.php  Looks pretty nice, Jack Nicklaus design, funky black sand bunkers, and super long.  (I assume it must be at elevation to be able to play at 7700 yards from the tips!)  EDIT:  Yup ... 5,335 ft high!

 

We were originally planning on a Jackson Hole/Yellowstone trip with some friends but it is going to be a tad pricey.  Mom & dad are going on a trip to visit some family near Anaconda this summer and since we aren't doing the other trip, thought that maybe we'd tag along on this trip, and throw in a couple days at Yellowstone as well.  We haven't asked them yet though, so not really sure if we're even invited. ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by el shanko View Post

okay checked the link, look for the * at the botom you have to pay for the packaging (box) add another $25 each way. still this is more convenent to ship, the reason, you have to mess with the clubs checking them in  hopefully they dont get damaged in transit hopefully they even make it to the destination repeat on the way back. our total cost $150 round trip. and dont forget some airlines charge extra for the clubs $50 bucks each way.

I saw that, but got the impression that its not for the box itself, but for them to actually pack it for you.  Obviously, it would still cost a few bucks if I wanted to pack it myself for some bubble wrap or whatever, but hopefully not $25.  And if the courses help with the return shipping, perhaps I can unwrap, then play, then rewrap in the same box right there, and not have to pay for that part again. :)

post #40 of 64

G.D. we will be checking into this in more detail and will let everyone know. if its around $150 round trip i have no problem with this.

post #41 of 64

You can enter rates in at shipsticks.com.

 

My home in PA to San Diego was $119 three-day and $49 ground. 

post #42 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

You can enter rates in at shipsticks.com.

 

My home in PA to San Diego was $119 three-day and $49 ground. 

Cool, thanks for the tip.  These guys even pick it up at your door, and it appears that you'll be fine just using your golf bag travel case, rather than a big cardboard box.  (You meaning me :))  Of course, I don't travel much so I don't have a nice travel case.

 

Does anybody know if there are places that rent travel cases?

post #43 of 64

I cut off an old broomstick, taped a tennis ball to the end of it, ensuring the stick is at least a couple inches longer than the driver.     Keeps your driver shaft from getting busted if it gets tossed and lands on it.

post #44 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

I cut off an old broomstick, taped a tennis ball to the end of it, ensuring the stick is at least a couple inches longer than the driver.     Keeps your driver shaft from getting busted if it gets tossed and lands on it.

Good tip.  I also saw some similar ideas up above when I read the original portion of the thread.  Some guy mentioned PVC, which makes a lot of sense ... that's how I store the fly rod I never use. ;)  Also taking the heads off the adjustables.

 

I could easily take my driver, 3 wood and hybrid heads off, store the 3 shafts inside of a pvc tube, and even keep the club heads in my carry on if I wanted to be extra safe.

 

Lots of good options!  Now I have to actually plan the trip. :)

post #45 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I could easily take my driver, 3 wood and hybrid heads off, store the 3 shafts inside of a pvc tube, and even keep the club heads in my carry on if I wanted to be extra safe.

 

I may be doing exactly that. And taking my Swinkey too.

post #46 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthehole View Post

I cut off an old broomstick, taped a tennis ball to the end of it, ensuring the stick is at least a couple inches longer than the driver.     Keeps your driver shaft from getting busted if it gets tossed and lands on it.

+1

But I cut an X in the tennis ball and slipped it over the end of the broomstick.

post #47 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimas View Post

+1

But I cut an X in the tennis ball and slipped it over the end of the broomstick.

Me too - should have mentioned that

post #48 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

I could easily take my driver, 3 wood and hybrid heads off, store the 3 shafts inside of a pvc tube, and even keep the club heads in my carry on if I wanted to be extra safe.

 

 

 

Never thought of that.  Great idea!  Leave the heads in the headcovers for protection.

post #49 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

Golf Ted?? Mr. Chambers and I are flabergasted...at you...

 

Or remember the three guys video conferencing their boss from a golf course with a false office mock-up behind them and then it falls down? I think I pulled a muscle the first time I saw that one..

 

Their commercials are OUTSTANDING.

 

-  Baby monitor.......I'm gonna go check anyways

-  Clubs strapped into the car seat......how DO you get so dirty?

-  Let's do a test shipment first with some things a little less valuabe.....my fiance's wedding dress and this map my buddy Ponce gave me.  I'm gonna need that back beautiful!

 

Brilliant!

post #50 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

You can enter rates in at shipsticks.com.

 

My home in PA to San Diego was $119 three-day and $49 ground. 

i checked this one out, its UPS the one concern is the $119 is that roundtrip or one way (did not dig deep on this) but they will pick your clubs up at your house and ship just with your travel bag. that in its self a convenence

post #51 of 64
Just got back from Long Beach and it was way cheaper ($25 each way on Delta) compared to shipping them with any of the carriers. I also had a buddy with a travel case I borrowed.

Old Works is a great course, and you can get a cheap tee time on ezlinks for it. If you have time to drive over to Missoula, Canyon River is fun too.
post #52 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Never thought of that.  Great idea!  Leave the heads in the headcovers for protection.

I can't take credit ... I read it up above in the original portion of the thread where the guy was asking about traveling on Amtrak. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Their commercials are OUTSTANDING.

 

-  Baby monitor.......I'm gonna go check anyways

-  Clubs strapped into the car seat......how DO you get so dirty?

-  Let's do a test shipment first with some things a little less valuabe.....my fiance's wedding dress and this map my buddy Ponce gave me.  I'm gonna need that back beautiful!

 

Brilliant!

I know!  "I'm sorry Dave, I think you must have mistaken me for a guy who DOES NOT own a shrink ray"

post #53 of 64

The wife and I take 2 golf vacations each year.  For the past 3 years, I've been shipping our clubs via FedEx Ground service.  Here's how it works:

 

1. You have to buy the shipping box from FedEx.  Available at any of the FedEx Office / Shipping Center locations

 

2.  We pack inside each box, our clubs and nearly EVERYTHING we need to take with us for the trip.  This includes clubs, clothing, shoes, and a return shipping label for the trip back.

 

3.  Pack everything up, seal box, affix shipping label (don't forget to put the return label inside the box as well) take to FedEx and expect that your clubs will be there when you arrive.  They haven't let me down yet.

 

4.  Using this golf club shipping service, we're able to travel with a small carry-on bag only.  Don't have to pay the bag fees 4X for 2 sets of clubs.  No more waiting on golf clubs being the last piece of luggage to come out on the bag return.

 

5.  Upon arrival at hotel, call front desk and ask them to be delivered to room.  Unpack everything for our stay, clubs included.  First trip out, we carry clubs to car, throw in trunk and it's like being at hime with our clubs in the trunk ready to go.

 

Works so well, I'll never lug my clubs on a flight, through airport and do that whole thing ever again.

 

dave

post #54 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave s View Post

The wife and I take 2 golf vacations each year.  For the past 3 years, I've been shipping our clubs via FedEx Ground service.  Here's how it works:

 

1. You have to buy the shipping box from FedEx.  Available at any of the FedEx Office / Shipping Center locations

 

2.  We pack inside each box, our clubs and nearly EVERYTHING we need to take with us for the trip.  This includes clubs, clothing, shoes, and a return shipping label for the trip back.

 

3.  Pack everything up, seal box, affix shipping label (don't forget to put the return label inside the box as well) take to FedEx and expect that your clubs will be there when you arrive.  They haven't let me down yet.

 

4.  Using this golf club shipping service, we're able to travel with a small carry-on bag only.  Don't have to pay the bag fees 4X for 2 sets of clubs.  No more waiting on golf clubs being the last piece of luggage to come out on the bag return.

 

5.  Upon arrival at hotel, call front desk and ask them to be delivered to room.  Unpack everything for our stay, clubs included.  First trip out, we carry clubs to car, throw in trunk and it's like being at hime with our clubs in the trunk ready to go.

 

Works so well, I'll never lug my clubs on a flight, through airport and do that whole thing ever again.

 

dave

Great tips, thanks!  I also like that you thought to put a bunch of other stuff in there too, instead of just golf stuff. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Traveling With Clubs