or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Traveling With Clubs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traveling With Clubs - Page 4

post #55 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave s View Post

The wife and I take 2 golf vacations each year.  For the past 3 years, I've been shipping our clubs via FedEx Ground service.  Here's how it works:

 

1. You have to buy the shipping box from FedEx.  Available at any of the FedEx Office / Shipping Center locations

 

2.  We pack inside each box, our clubs and nearly EVERYTHING we need to take with us for the trip.  This includes clubs, clothing, shoes, and a return shipping label for the trip back.

 

3.  Pack everything up, seal box, affix shipping label (don't forget to put the return label inside the box as well) take to FedEx and expect that your clubs will be there when you arrive.  They haven't let me down yet.

 

4.  Using this golf club shipping service, we're able to travel with a small carry-on bag only.  Don't have to pay the bag fees 4X for 2 sets of clubs.  No more waiting on golf clubs being the last piece of luggage to come out on the bag return.

 

5.  Upon arrival at hotel, call front desk and ask them to be delivered to room.  Unpack everything for our stay, clubs included.  First trip out, we carry clubs to car, throw in trunk and it's like being at hime with our clubs in the trunk ready to go.

 

Works so well, I'll never lug my clubs on a flight, through airport and do that whole thing ever again.

 

dave


cost?  also when you say you put other stuff in the box, are you putting your clubs in a hard case or just your regular golf bag?  if the latter, any worries about fedex rough-housing with your bag?  i ask about the size because it looks pretty small in pics.

 

fedex-golf-club-shipping-box.jpg

post #56 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post


cost?  also when you say you put other stuff in the box, are you putting your clubs in a hard case or just your regular golf bag?  if the latter, any worries about fedex rough-housing with your bag?  i ask about the size because it looks pretty small in pics.

 

fedex-golf-club-shipping-box.jpg

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post


cost?  also when you say you put other stuff in the box, are you putting your clubs in a hard case or just your regular golf bag?  if the latter, any worries about fedex rough-housing with your bag?  i ask about the size because it looks pretty small in pics.

 

fedex-golf-club-shipping-box.jpg

very much interested in cost as well ... thx.

post #57 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post


cost?  also when you say you put other stuff in the box, are you putting your clubs in a hard case or just your regular golf bag?  if the latter, any worries about fedex rough-housing with your bag?  i ask about the size because it looks pretty small in pics.

 

fedex-golf-club-shipping-box.jpg

 

The box is much larger than it looks in the image above.  My guess is the opening is about 16X16" and length of box is probably 48".  The first time we used the service, we just brought our clubs, (bag only, no travel bag) and the FedEx Office location packed them for us.  They used brown paper sheets wadded up on bottom, top and all around our golf bags inside the FedEx shipping carton.

 

Since then, we've kept the paper and reused it.  Also, we pack golf shorts and shirts in extra large ziplock bags that the wife picked up somewhere.  We use those to pack around the clubs keeping them in the middle of the carton and the clothing and stuff to fill voids around the golf bags.

 

The boxes each cost around $25 each, IIRC.  We've used them 4 times so far and I'm guessing they'll go another 4 times before they'll need more taping reinforcement on top and bottom.  Last trip was Cleveland to Biloxi, MS last fall.  Shipped clubs from an Akron location ... 2 days to deliver in Biloxi.  Can't beat the service either.  I always call ahead and let them know what day the clubs will arrive and give them my name.  I think one place asked us to write our names on the outside of the box so they could identify upon arrival.

 

Straight up FedEx Ground charge there and back to both sets on the Cleveland to Biloxi trip was about $80.  If it sounds high, remember that we didn't have to take the clubs with us to the airport, we packed just about everything we needed for a 5 day golf/gambling trip to Biloxi (3 rounds of golf) and my wife carried on a small suitcase and I took my camera bag.  That's it!

 

If anyone is seriously considering this, go to fedex.com and you can work your way through a quote using the box size I provided above, use about 30lbs as package weight and choose FedEx Ground service from your zip to your hotel zip and see what it'll cost to get your clubs and nearly everything you'll need for your next golf trip to be delivered to your hotel before you get there.

 

Great service.  Glad I gave it a try.

 

dave

post #58 of 64
Just to throw in my tuppence worth, I have travelled with my golf clubs on several occassions throughout Europe and have not had any breakages/issues. I use a soft cover. There are some unlucky people posting in this thread. I agree a hard case is far superior, I believe I only bought the soft cover because it was on offer at the time and I was skint.
post #59 of 64

SM ClubGlider Journey and the Club Glove Stiff Arm.

post #60 of 64

Dave,

 

Thanks for the detailed info.  I just spoke with a customer service rep from FedEx about shipping from Kalamazoo, MI to Scottsdale, AZ.  I said 35 pounds, insured for $900, and the ground rate each way was quoted as $70, or 3-day was over $200!!  For some reason the local office could not give me an estimate over the phone.

 

What am I doing wrong?  I'd like to bring my clubs rather than rent, and carrying them will be exceedingly painful with a toddler and newborn in tow.  Did you set up the shipping via their website?

post #61 of 64

I found this thread at the perfect time.  

 

Heading down to Hilton Head in a couple weeks for a long weekend of golf, and am actually bringing my own clubs for the first time.  Pretty sick of playing with overpriced 10 year old rentals.

 

Was debating whether or not to just get a cardboard box or actually get a hard travel case, and based on some of the responses here - I think the travel case is going to be the way to go.

post #62 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post

Dave,

 

Thanks for the detailed info.  I just spoke with a customer service rep from FedEx about shipping from Kalamazoo, MI to Scottsdale, AZ.  I said 35 pounds, insured for $900, and the ground rate each way was quoted as $70, or 3-day was over $200!!  For some reason the local office could not give me an estimate over the phone.

 

What am I doing wrong?  I'd like to bring my clubs rather than rent, and carrying them will be exceedingly painful with a toddler and newborn in tow.  Did you set up the shipping via their website?

The SM club glider journey(discountdansgolf.com at $179) glides well - very easy. I went this route and the Stiff Arm - because it does glide easy and a hard case kills the space in a rental car.

post #63 of 64

Here's what I do. I've tried the club savers that have the mushroom tops. They break if they take a direct shot. The company won't warranty the unit because they say it did it's job. It's disposable.

Hard cover cases are simply to big to travel with once you get to your rental car.

I use an aluminum crutch. It's adjustable and just fits into the larger section of your bag. It protects from lateral damage.

I put my driver, four wood and hybrids in and around the crutch and rubber band them together. I also use head covers on my MP 59's while I travel. I put the irons and wedges in up side down. This is in a Sun Mnt. carry bag and they just fit. You would have to run over the bag to hurt it.

The beauty is this...if you trip coming out of the nineteenth hole, you have some help waiting for you in the trunk of your car.

post #64 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post

Dave,

 

Thanks for the detailed info.  I just spoke with a customer service rep from FedEx about shipping from Kalamazoo, MI to Scottsdale, AZ.  I said 35 pounds, insured for $900, and the ground rate each way was quoted as $70, or 3-day was over $200!!  For some reason the local office could not give me an estimate over the phone.

 

What am I doing wrong?  I'd like to bring my clubs rather than rent, and carrying them will be exceedingly painful with a toddler and newborn in tow.  Did you set up the shipping via their website?

 

 

Go to fedex.com and setup a shipping account.  You will likely see a much better rate than calling for a quote.

 

dave

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Traveling With Clubs