The wife and I take 2 golf vacations each year. For the past 3 years, I've been shipping our clubs via FedEx Ground service. Here's how it works:
1. You have to buy the shipping box from FedEx. Available at any of the FedEx Office / Shipping Center locations
2. We pack inside each box, our clubs and nearly EVERYTHING we need to take with us for the trip. This includes clubs, clothing, shoes, and a return shipping label for the trip back.
3. Pack everything up, seal box, affix shipping label (don't forget to put the return label inside the box as well) take to FedEx and expect that your clubs will be there when you arrive. They haven't let me down yet.
4. Using this golf club shipping service, we're able to travel with a small carry-on bag only. Don't have to pay the bag fees 4X for 2 sets of clubs. No more waiting on golf clubs being the last piece of luggage to come out on the bag return.
5. Upon arrival at hotel, call front desk and ask them to be delivered to room. Unpack everything for our stay, clubs included. First trip out, we carry clubs to car, throw in trunk and it's like being at hime with our clubs in the trunk ready to go.
Works so well, I'll never lug my clubs on a flight, through airport and do that whole thing ever again.
cost? also when you say you put other stuff in the box, are you putting your clubs in a hard case or just your regular golf bag? if the latter, any worries about fedex rough-housing with your bag? i ask about the size because it looks pretty small in pics.