or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › How often do you clean your clubs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How often do you clean your clubs? - Page 4

post #55 of 78

I clean my clubs after every shot on the course, after the round I either wipe them down when I get home or have the cart guys clean them.  I will say I think I do a better job than the cart guys.

post #56 of 78

here's a question.  what do you use to keep steel shafts looking new?

post #57 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK82 View Post

here's a question.  what do you use to keep steel shafts looking new?

Nothing at all.

If you like, you can put some car wax on them, but it's unnecessary.
post #58 of 78

I hate the rust spots on there they get like tiny spots if you look real close I don't know why but it bugs me

post #59 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK82 View Post

After every round i can't help it it bothers me until i get it done

 

I'm the exact same way. Even after a visit to the range, I can't put my clubs away knowing they're dirty lol. My wife thinks I'm a weirdo since I'm constantly cleaning them but she's stuck with me anyway!
post #60 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt M View Post

I clean my clubs after every shot on the course, after the round I either wipe them down when I get home or have the cart guys clean them.  I will say I think I do a better job than the cart guys.

 

I always tell the cart guys "I'm good."  I know they are generally high school kids begging for tips, but in all honesty they rarely do anything - they just want to stand there and annoy you and lightly wipe your clubs until you give them a buck to go away.  There is no intent to actually clean your clubs and the grooves from my experience, so I don't bother.

post #61 of 78

Mine get in the shower with me at night...

post #62 of 78

Wipe off my warm-up clubs before I leave the practice range, and wipe off face after shots on the course. Home course has decent club-and-ball cleaner box on back of carts.

 

One problem on my cavity-back irons - if you get a clubhead full of mud, extra water to clean it gets trapped in creases on back of clubhead.

 

Will wash down heads later at home if course was muddy that day.

post #63 of 78

I wipe them down after every shot and the club does a full cleaning after every round. 

post #64 of 78

We need a thread on common sense?

 

Dirt in grooves - bad

 

Slippery grips - bad

 

Clean as needed to correct above - good

post #65 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post

 

I always tell the cart guys "I'm good."  I know they are generally high school kids begging for tips, but in all honesty they rarely do anything - they just want to stand there and annoy you and lightly wipe your clubs until you give them a buck to go away.  There is no intent to actually clean your clubs and the grooves from my experience, so I don't bother.

 

That is not my experience. First of all, I used to do it as a kid and I took it very seriously. And, at least where I play, the kids who do it take it seriously or they are out of a job pretty quickly.


Edited by phan52 - 7/3/13 at 11:24am
post #66 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

I wipe them down after every shot and the club does a full cleaning after every round. 

^^^^^

 

This ... is what I try to do.

 

At the range, they have cleaning buckets. I use them. I always bring a towel (club glove - thin and soaks up water), wet it, and put it next to my bag. After a few shots, that iron gets clean and brushed. I get to rest and think about the one thing I'm primarily working on ... and what drills are needed for that issue.

 

And now, since most grips are synthetic, water does them good. On the range, I wet the other half of the towel and the grip gets a wipe down before I "graduate" to another club. Every couple of times at the range, during the hot months, the grips get a full cleaning along with the clubheads.

post #67 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post

 

I always tell the cart guys "I'm good."  I know they are generally high school kids begging for tips, but in all honesty they rarely do anything - they just want to stand there and annoy you and lightly wipe your clubs until you give them a buck to go away.  There is no intent to actually clean your clubs and the grooves from my experience, so I don't bother.

 

I've never had a bad experience with the "cart kids". The last time I had one come up to me he was actually taking his sweet time on each club, when I got home nothing needed to be cleaned.. grooves.. creases you name it. I felt bad because I tipped him a car was token... Just kidding :) He got 7 bucks lol
post #68 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskzoo View Post

 

I always tell the cart guys "I'm good."  I know they are generally high school kids begging for tips, but in all honesty they rarely do anything - they just want to stand there and annoy you and lightly wipe your clubs until you give them a buck to go away.  There is no intent to actually clean your clubs and the grooves from my experience, so I don't bother.

 

That is not my experience. First of all, I used to do it as a kid and I took it very seriously. And, at least where I play, the kids who do it take it seriously or they are out of a job pretty quickly.

 

Yeah.  I hate cheapskates.  The kids are at least making some effort to earn some money instead of relying on Daddy for an allowance.  If i can afford to play the type of course which has this service, I can afford a couple of bucks to tip them for cleaning up my clubs, whether they need it or not.

post #69 of 78

I keep a plastic scrapper in my bag and clean the grooves after or before every shot. I clean my grips about every other weak.

post #70 of 78

I can honestly say that I've never once cleaned my grips, but  I do replace them every year and never have grip issues.  I'm curious how many people who claim to clean their grips are using grips that are old, shiny, and worn.

 

My grips never touch the ground either....I carry a towel to lay my clubs on too keep the grips from touching the ground when I'm on or around the green.  I always chuckle to myself when I see people lay their clubs in wet grass. 

post #71 of 78
After every shot i wipe the club face with a damp microfiber towel... and soap and water after every round. Especially the grips inorder to restore the tacky feeling.
post #72 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post

I can honestly say that I've never once cleaned my grips, but  I do replace them every year and never have grip issues.  I'm curious how many people who claim to clean their grips are using grips that are old, shiny, and worn.

 

My grips never touch the ground either....I carry a towel to lay my clubs on too keep the grips from touching the ground when I'm on or around the green.  I always chuckle to myself when I see people lay their clubs in wet grass. 

You would be chuckling a lot if you saw me play. Sometimes if I'm in the mood I might lay a wedge across the flag stick to keep the grip dry but most of the time I don't care and just wipe it off when I pick it up.

 

I used to wash my grips occasionally but since I started using Chamois grips a few years ago there's no need. They don't even get slick when it's raining or my hands are sweating.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › How often do you clean your clubs?