or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Should you actively hold the wrist angle?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should you actively hold the wrist angle? - Page 3

Poll Results: Should you actively hold the wrist angle?

 
  • 26% (11)
    Yes
  • 73% (30)
    No
41 Total Votes  
post #37 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

The pump drill exists more to teach people to get their hands down in front of them without spinning open to drag their hands to impact. It has almost nothing to do with "holding the lag."

 

 

Great point!

post #38 of 70

I think I'm with Glasgow here. Surely he's trying to correct a casting problem by holding wrist angle / lag with a pump drill..........whats the problem?

post #39 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

I think I'm with Glasgow here. Surely he's trying to correct a casting problem by holding wrist angle / lag with a pump drill..........whats the problem?

The problem is that to do the drill you dont need to hold your wrists. The wrists are inactive in the pump drill. It's more a drill for getting the arms down.
post #40 of 70

But isn't he trying to build lag as well? I don't see the danger of doing it.

post #41 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apotheosis View Post


The problem is that to do the drill you dont need to hold your wrists. The wrists are inactive in the pump drill. It's more a drill for getting the arms down.

 

Correct a1_smile.gif

post #42 of 70
Thread Starter 
I think it's important for anyone reading this thread to know that your definition of what the pump drill achieves is different from pretty much all the pump drill videos on YouTube.

Anyone interested can make up their own minds by searching for pump drills on YouTube.
post #43 of 70

I am more convenient on holding it tightly. Well it depends on your feel and if you're convenient.

post #44 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowsGreen View Post

I think it's important for anyone reading this thread to know that your definition of what the pump drill achieves is different from pretty much all the pump drill videos on YouTube.
Anyone interested can make up their own minds by searching for pump drills on YouTube.

 

Mike's version of the ball flight laws is different than "most" people's too, and while this may not move into the realm of "fact" versus who-knows-what, I think it's close.

 

Lag happens when other things are done properly. Actively holding the wrist angle is bad.

 

P.S. I've yet to see a video of the pump drill where an instructor gets his hands down solely by turning his hips and shoulders through the ball. They might have learned the pump drill but not learned how to explain it, or learned it but learned it wrong, or... who knows?

post #45 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

 

This what can happen if you hold your wrist angles too long a2_wink.gif

 

 

Is that a sh@%nk?

post #46 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Is that a sh@%nk?

 

No. He misses the golf ball by "holding" the wrist angle and then hits it well in the second swing.

post #47 of 70

Change your swing and stop casting.

 \Ttry this.

One piece take away for about the first 2 feet.

Very strong wrist cock taking the club high while the hands are still low.

And mimic the arm raise of a one plane swing and not the two plane swing. That is raise your left arm to the height of your right shoulder. .

You will have a honest wrist cock and less time on the down swing to do any casting. Any casting will actually be the sought after "lag" due to timing

 

Try it

Raise your hands belt high with wrist cock and uncork a shot. You will not be able to cast due to not enough time

Try it again. raise your hands pec high with wrist cock  Uncork a shot. You will not be able to cast due to timing

At some point you get too high and are very much capable of casting as you uncork a shot. There is plenty of time from such a high position in which to execute a cast.before your torso has spun your arms around.

post #48 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

No. He misses the golf ball by "holding" the wrist angle and then hits it well in the second swing.

 

Yes exactly, little humor there but illustrates a point.  Also, notice how much slower the clubhead is moving on the first swing.

post #49 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

 

Is that a sh@%nk?

UM, If you held the wrist cock, then wouldnt you then just adjust your position to hit the ball instead of not hitting the ball. Are you guys serious......if you hold your wrist cock then your going to miss it.....really. Isn't wrist cock and lag what you guys are after? isnt wristlag the cure to the "flipping" that seems to be the current bogie man?

post #50 of 70

Name one professional on the planet has the same angle in the wrists at the top that he does at impact?  If it's not the same, there is some amount of throw, so what are we even arguing about?  This seems like one of those kinds of threads that gets started by 20 handicappers and divides itself perfectly into good strikers who know how to hit a golf and everyone else.  Good players know golf is a dynamic and athletic movement that requires good mechanics, good rhythm, and always requires some level of sequencing and timing.  Consequently, they end up spending their time with a goal in mind, making minor adjustments here and there to get better.  Bad players are always looking for a silver bullet so they don't have to put any work into it.  In the end, people deserve the scores they shoot.
 

post #51 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerputt View Post

Name one professional on the planet has the same angle in the wrists at the top that he does at impact?  If it's not the same, there is some amount of throw, so what are we even arguing about?  This seems like one of those kinds of threads that gets started by 20 handicappers and divides itself perfectly into good strikers who know how to hit a golf and everyone else.  Good players know golf is a dynamic and athletic movement that requires good mechanics, good rhythm, and always requires some level of sequencing and timing.  Consequently, they end up spending their time with a goal in mind, making minor adjustments here and there to get better.  Bad players are always looking for a silver bullet so they don't have to put any work into it.  In the end, people deserve the scores they shoot.
 

Yes not one player holds the sme wrist cock at the top as he does at impact, but if we look at the video of the guy that missed the ball because of the wristcock I'd say he went from 90 degrees to about 60 in the first demo and then 90 degrees to a soft wristed flip in the second. Is it OK to hold the wristcock to, I don't know, 40....50...or so degrees?So I mean to go from 90 degrees to 40?

post #52 of 70

 

Here's Taly Williams pretty much maintaining his wrist cock

post #53 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

isnt wristlag the cure to the "flipping" that seems to be the current bogie man?

 

No, sustaining leverage by the correct sequencing, whether it be weight forward, speeding up the arms, rate the extension happens, and having a flat left wrist at impact is how you "cure" flipping.

post #54 of 70
Quote:

Lag Happens

 

I should make bumper stickers.

 

Absolutely correct. I wasted 6 months with a "PGA" certified instructor from UK who wanted to induce lag by holding the wrist angle. Lag is a derivative function of your swing mechanics falling into place, as others have noted. If somebody is trying to get a silver bullet for lag - it's not gonna happen

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Should you actively hold the wrist angle?