or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What does golf mean to u?? How important is it in your life?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What does golf mean to u?? How important is it in your life? - Page 3

post #37 of 54

I'm weird. I usually play by myself. Friends arent into golf so its really just me and the course usually. But thats what I love about it. Its the one place in this world I can go and be completely by myself for a few hours. I can completely focus on my golf game, but at the same time completely let go of all other things on my mind. Nothing is better than ripping a drive straight down the fairway off the first tee and know the next few hours are gonna be incredible for my state of mind.

post #38 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post


"Settled in the middle"? The middle would've been 9 holes, you let your buddy off easy!

well that was the plan but the course was open until hole 6 and that was the closest we would be to the club house for a few more holes and he said his girl was bugging him when hed be done and it was already like 7 15 or so so there wasnt too much more golf to be had regardless.

post #39 of 54

I used to fish ALOT.    For many years.     I pick up and play guitar every day - going on for 35+ years.     Golf is a different story.     It's total OCD for me.    I've been playing not quite 2 years yet, so I'm still in the honeymoon phase.     I've logged 78 rounds so far this year (most of these are 9 holes after work).      Can't categorize the obsessiveness, but it's almost an addiction.       It's important in my life and works out because my wife is almost as OCD'd out as I am - she plays most of the time with me.      Seems the more I improve, the more I want to play.       No telling how different my life would have been if I discovered golf 30 years ago ... 

post #40 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

I divorced my wife and put the kids in an orphanage and the parents in a nursing home so i could play more.
a2_wink.gif


hahahaha ... I think you've convinced me to go down the same road now.  c2_beer.gif

post #41 of 54

It's important to me because of the time I spend with friends and family. I also play for the enjoyment the game brings but I could give it up. This is actually my first season to golf seriously in about 15 years. Prior to that is was the odd scramble every other year. Did more drinking than golfing at those events. I was full steam ahead a few months ago but a back injury has me on the sidelines. I could get out now but I'm waiting for a few days. I got a little nuts, nearly bought a house on a course. The injury brought me out of the clouds.

post #42 of 54

Sadly, it consumes me. From the moment I wake up until the time I go to sleep, I am thinking about golf. I can't read enough about all things golf. I play or practice every chance I get. My co workers laugh when they see me "swinging"  a club with empty hands or motioning a chip or putt. They laugh because they know what a nut I am. I am actually looking to move my family to a warmer climate so that I can golf year round. I decided that my next job will need to be near good golf and allow me the time. I am frustrated because I have not been able to play nearly enough the last 3 years (10-15 rounds/year), so I will be making some adjustments this next season. a3_biggrin.gif

post #43 of 54
I am so happy I found this thread. I don't feel alone any more with my 24/7 OTAGATTANES (Obsessively Thinking About Golf All The Time And Nothing Else Syndrome) a1_smile.gif
post #44 of 54
As a newbie, I have only been playing for a couple of months, but it's taken over my life,so to speak, I try and play every day, sometimes it's 9 holes or a full18,maybe just up the club and chip for a couple of hours, or put or whatever. I love Thursdays and Saturdays as its comp day at my club, I only seem to win the NAGA award, but I don't want it ever again lol. I love the people I've met and the exercise that I get. Me and my cousins play(badly) and have a comp between us. It's great and now my kids have clubs and want to play all the time with me.golf it's great
post #45 of 54

Let's put it this way. I always carry a pen in my pocket just in case Satan suddenly appears and offers complete dominion over the face/path relationship in return for my immortal soul.

post #46 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

Let's put it this way. I always carry a pen in my pocket just in case Satan suddenly appears and offers complete dominion over the face/path relationship in return for my immortal soul.

 

The sad thing is, I actually had this thought yesterday on my drive home whether or not I would sign the papers if offered. I figured I'd get to play until my early 60s before people started to suspect me of some unholy alliance. Then I would have to spend eternity in hell. I weighed my options, and barely leaned towards not signing in the end. I was close though. 

 

And this is just a guess, but I'm pretty certain Satan provides his own, high class writing implement, and then tells you to "keep the pen" after the deal is done a2_wink.gif (that's Satan winking, not me).

post #47 of 54

I usually play every saturday sometimes solo sometimes as a foursome. I have "OTAGATTANES" as well and i dont know how to stop it. Even when im at work i still come to this forum and get my fix. I cannot wait for the weekends. I still have yet to play in a tournament but im very interested in one. Possibly a two man scramble just to get used to the atmosphere. 

post #48 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

 

The sad thing is, I actually had this thought yesterday on my drive home whether or not I would sign the papers if offered. I figured I'd get to play until my early 60s before people started to suspect me of some unholy alliance. Then I would have to spend eternity in hell. I weighed my options, and barely leaned towards not signing in the end. I was close though. 

 

Ha! You're just holding out to try and get him to sweeten the deal with 300 yards-straight-down-the-pipe. With a 3 iron.

post #49 of 54

Probably way more inportant than it should be. Outside of family and work, it is probably next on my list of what is important. I can't wait to retire so that only my family will mean more, and I am daily trying to figure out an honorable way around that.

 

That's a joke (in case my wife and kids are listening).a2_wink.gif

post #50 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9424tm View Post

Sadly, it consumes me. From the moment I wake up until the time I go to sleep, I am thinking about golf. I can't read enough about all things golf. I play or practice every chance I get. My co workers laugh when they see me "swinging"  a club with empty hands or motioning a chip or putt. They laugh because they know what a nut I am. I am actually looking to move my family to a warmer climate so that I can golf year round. I decided that my next job will need to be near good golf and allow me the time. I am frustrated because I have not been able to play nearly enough the last 3 years (10-15 rounds/year), so I will be making some adjustments this next season. a3_biggrin.gif

 

are you my long lost brother?

post #51 of 54

Well lets see, I'm on the Sand Trap at night; I read about golf at work (on my lunch hour); I'm in a golf league and play once a week there; I play every Friday afternoon with friends (we're off from work on Friday afternoons), I either get a round in on the weekend or I go to the range. I polish my clubs, have a putting mat in the house for those rainy days. I have the Golf Channel on all the time. I went to the Barcleys this year, I subscribe to two golf magazines and read golf books on my Nook. Now that I think about it I may be a little obsessed. Thank God I have an understanding wife.

On the other hand, I don't drink (anymore), smoke, chase women; I work long hours, I put my kids through college, the house is paid for, etc., etc. 

post #52 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooke119 View Post

Well lets see, I'm on the Sand Trap at night; I read about golf at work (on my lunch hour); I'm in a golf league and play once a week there; I play every Friday afternoon with friends (we're off from work on Friday afternoons), I either get a round in on the weekend or I go to the range. I polish my clubs, have a putting mat in the house for those rainy days. I have the Golf Channel on all the time. I went to the Barcleys this year, I subscribe to two golf magazines and read golf books on my Nook. Now that I think about it I may be a little obsessed. Thank God I have an understanding wife.

On the other hand, I don't drink (anymore), smoke, chase women; I work long hours, I put my kids through college, the house is paid for, etc., etc. 

You could be an unemployed abusive father who spends his weeknights at a bar smoking and slapping waitress' asses just before returning to your box behind the dumpster at the pub.... Thank God your a golfer. c3_clap.gif

post #53 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejimsmith View Post

 

are you my long lost brother?

Ha! I very well may be. I keep golf balls and a wedge in my trunk (after the season is over and my bag is removed) just in case there is a break in the weather and I am driving by a park or field. I putt in my basement year round while I watch any T.V. I randomly go to the back yard during the winter and take a few swings with a 6 iron I keep right inside my garage door. The tray in my car console is full of tees. My son started calling the Fed Ex guy "The golf guy" because of all the mail order golf equipment each week. EVERY drawer in my house has at least 1-2 golf balls in it.  Every conversation with my wife (or anyone else for that matter) involves me half listening, half thinking about how I am going to apply something I just read in Zen Golf. It goes on and on and on...

post #54 of 54

I was just having a dream that my golf clubs were missing/stolen and it was so disturbing that it woke me up in the middle of the night...no kidding.  In the dream, I was racing around trying to find out what happened to all my irons and finally found all of those but was still missing my wedges, driver, and hybrid.  Whoever had stolen them had swapped their stuff with mine so I was going to take the driver to the police for fingerprinting to find out who did this atrocious act.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › What does golf mean to u?? How important is it in your life?