or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Americans and Brits Shouting!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Americans and Brits Shouting! - Page 9

post #145 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

Or, people can just choose to ignore it. I agree that its not funny, meant only to get yourself heard on tv, mildly annoying, and that the people that do it generally are not people I would choose to associate with.  But come on, on the list of things worthy of getting your panties in a knot over, someone shouting "mashed potatoes" after Tiger Woods hits a ball should be pretty low.  Does it really stop you from enjoying the tournament or appreciating the golfer's shot/swing, when you hear that on your television?  

Totally agree with this.  We're complaining about something silly, mainly for the sake of complaining, and it doesn't affect anything at all.

 

     Quote:

Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Well, I belong to a CC and I can tell you that I don't know one person there who would have anything to do with "YOU DA MAN!", or anything like it. Not sayin' they're "better", but just sayin'...

I don't belong to a CC, and don't hang out with people who do, and I cal tell you that I don't know a single person that would have anything to do with "You Da Man!" either.

post #146 of 364

I heard an obviously effeminate man yell “Skittles” at this year’s U.S. Open (the one in the United States).  It was the only time I can remember belly laughing while watching a PGA event. I don’t miss the “You the man” guy at all. He never made me laugh.

 If you want to be a drunken douchebag, that’s fine, go ahead and let the world know by yelling something ridiculous after every tee shot. Drunken douchbaggery  is not exclusively American, sad to say. I pretty sure the squawking assclown at the trophy presentation for this year’s Open (the one in the United States) was, ummm, not American.

post #147 of 364

So we should just put those collars on every patron that they use to shock dogs when they bark?

 

Here is my idea, on the next Nike/Tiger commercial, have Tiger go to various businesses like a restaurant and yell "MASHED POTATOES" at unsuspecting people, "you the man" at a package delivery guy and "get in the hole" at a gynecologist.... Maybe play these for the people waiting to get in to tournaments.

post #148 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

So we should just put those collars on every patron that they use to shock dogs when they bark?

 

^^^.....That's the best idea so far....^^^

post #149 of 364

It can be stopped the same way cell phone use is at the Masters.  If you do something that violates their rules they take your information down and don't allow you to attend future events for however long they deem necessary to penalize you.   They are walking a fine line, on one hand the PGA is trying to get more people interested in and playing golf, on the other hand, the new generation of fans seem pretty ignorant about the game and proper etiquette.  

 

Golf isn't football, drunken idiocy shouldn't be encouraged or tolerated. 

post #150 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave67az View Post

 

Yeah, I'm with you dsc123.  That's just going to make people want to shout MORE.

People do it because they want exposure.

 

You stop the exposure (turn off the mics after impact) and the shouting will eventually stop.

Absolutely. The dbags yelling are probably DVRing the event so they can rush home and hear themselves on TV. With all the volunteers working around the tee boxes, I don't think there'd be any problem identifying the yellers.

post #151 of 364
The majority of golf tournaments are no longer about golf. They are local happenings. 19th holes with live bands at night, fireworks, celebrity spotting etc. This attracts a percentage of exhibitionist, combine with minimal golf knowledge, alcohol, a general lack of awareness or concern that they are acting like idiot, crowd anonymity, all of this encourages spring break behavior. I guess it's the price for a well attended event. I could live with anyone yelling any catch phrase or in possession of a cell phone not set to vibrate being subject to marshals armed with tasers.
post #152 of 364

I can't imagine the tangle of panties in this thread after bubba got the crowd going for his tee shot today.

post #153 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

I can't imagine the tangle of panties in this thread after bubba got the crowd going for his tee shot today.


Yeah, right? I had made a comment earlier in the Ryder Cup thread about the chants and roars during play today. Quite an electrifying environment today. I felt a rush just watching from my laptop. Although, its one thing to roar and chant for a team to root them on, its another to yell catch phrases like a total jackass.

post #154 of 364

Hmmm...OK my two cents on the previous 9 pages.

 

The shouting out is fine, as long as it is done after the ball is hit, is not derogatory or rude or obnoxious. Anything witty should be encouraged. However, Golf unfortunately is becoming a stadium sport for the boozed-up frat pack (17th at TPC Scottsdale, anyone), so your average 21 year-old dropkick who can't handle a beer let alone some Mad Dog 20/20 is going to get a bit too excited. I've heard things from both Americans and Europeans and just thought "you moron". At the Masters a couple of years ago, there was a whole section of guys shouting 'Go Rachel' at Tiger, which I admit at the time was pretty funny at the time. I dislike the cheering of misses, the booing of players on tee's (I got a call from a friend who is there, this actually happened yesterday) and the calling out mid swing. I think those people should be removed or punched out. At the Belfry many years ago, I can remember an American with too much Guinness inside him screaming at Faldo on the 17th tee when he was in mid-swing, something like ''Swallow an Apple!!'' He got removed from the course, but by then, Faldo had been put off enough to put his tee shot into the right-hand rough. Stuff like that...just gets visited onto the American team the next time around.

 

We also have to remind ourselves this is being played in Chicago: they've not had much sporting success up there for some time (probably not since Jordan and Ditka) so they are going to kick off a bit at any chance of a win. That said, I've turned the sound down because of their braying.

 

On American's arrogance - I like America and Americans and the further away from a major city you get, the nicer the people are. It would be good to see you guys travel a bit more maybe, but generally when I ask people over there why they don't travel, it's because they don't see the need to own a passport. But that's a minor gripe. A word of advice though - if you ever you do get a passport and do end up sat in a British pub and start with the ''we saved your asses in the 40's'', best you drink up and get out. The Brits know their history - they know America could have stepped in at any time to put down the Nazi's but waited until large parts of Britain were a smoking ruin and that mainland Europe was a Nazi stronghold. When you did deign us with your presence, you were greatly assisted by Hitler attacking Russia and opening up fronts in Italy and the Middle East. We appreciate the loss of lives here, but you entered the war not to save us, but because the thought of either a Russian or Nazi empire was not good business. You didn't give us weapons or medical aid or manpower or anything that we did not pay back to you either. We didn't get anything for free. And frankly, had you not had two nuclear bombs, there'a good chance you would be speaking Japanese or German. Them's the breaks.

 

And let's not talk about the wars after that - Korea, Vietnam, Iraq (done well there, it's still in flames), Afghanistan (looks like the next humiliation as the body bags are piling up). You've currently got three aircraft carriers in the Arabian Gulf and there's an election looming - over here, we've all bought the popcorn and are waiting for the Iran war that Israel will start for you. Now that will be a doosie, because those guys will come at you just like the Viets did -them's some proud mofo's, as you say.

 

All best

 

MtD

post #155 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte the Bear View Post

Hmmm...OK my two cents on the previous 9 pages.

 

The shouting out is fine, as long as it is done after the ball is hit, is not derogatory or rude or obnoxious. Anything witty should be encouraged. However, Golf unfortunately is becoming a stadium sport for the boozed-up frat pack (17th at TPC Scottsdale, anyone), so your average 21 year-old dropkick who can't handle a beer let alone some Mad Dog 20/20 is going to get a bit too excited. I've heard things from both Americans and Europeans and just thought "you moron". At the Masters a couple of years ago, there was a whole section of guys shouting 'Go Rachel' at Tiger, which I admit at the time was pretty funny at the time. I dislike the cheering of misses, the booing of players on tee's (I got a call from a friend who is there, this actually happened yesterday) and the calling out mid swing. I think those people should be removed or punched out. At the Belfry many years ago, I can remember an American with too much Guinness inside him screaming at Faldo on the 17th tee when he was in mid-swing, something like ''Swallow an Apple!!'' He got removed from the course, but by then, Faldo had been put off enough to put his tee shot into the right-hand rough. Stuff like that...just gets visited onto the American team the next time around.

 

We also have to remind ourselves this is being played in Chicago: they've not had much sporting success up there for some time (probably not since Jordan and Ditka) so they are going to kick off a bit at any chance of a win. That said, I've turned the sound down because of their braying.

 

On American's arrogance - I like America and Americans and the further away from a major city you get, the nicer the people are. It would be good to see you guys travel a bit more maybe, but generally when I ask people over there why they don't travel, it's because they don't see the need to own a passport. But that's a minor gripe. A word of advice though - if you ever you do get a passport and do end up sat in a British pub and start with the ''we saved your asses in the 40's'', best you drink up and get out. The Brits know their history - they know America could have stepped in at any time to put down the Nazi's but waited until large parts of Britain were a smoking ruin and that mainland Europe was a Nazi stronghold. When you did deign us with your presence, you were greatly assisted by Hitler attacking Russia and opening up fronts in Italy and the Middle East. We appreciate the loss of lives here, but you entered the war not to save us, but because the thought of either a Russian or Nazi empire was not good business. You didn't give us weapons or medical aid or manpower or anything that we did not pay back to you either. We didn't get anything for free. And frankly, had you not had two nuclear bombs, there'a good chance you would be speaking Japanese or German. Them's the breaks.

 

And let's not talk about the wars after that - Korea, Vietnam, Iraq (done well there, it's still in flames), Afghanistan (looks like the next humiliation as the body bags are piling up). You've currently got three aircraft carriers in the Arabian Gulf and there's an election looming - over here, we've all bought the popcorn and are waiting for the Iran war that Israel will start for you. Now that will be a doosie, because those guys will come at you just like the Viets did -them's some proud mofo's, as you say.

 

All best

 

MtD


Good thing we saved your asses in the 40's so you could go on your rant. Lol.

I guess all I can say is that maybe we didn't have to get involved at all and maybe we were less inclined to stick our noses in other country's business. Much less for free. I think it could be a better choice now. We go help countries and get a rash for being there whether it is war or tsunami aid. We can never do enough.

You act like we should have just been there fighting right away. It took a lot of our resources that we didn't have at that time and the German's were well ahead with army and weapons.

I really like just about anyone from any country unless they are angry hate filled rednecks..... What is the equivalent of a British redneck? We are all just people trying to do our best in life. Rating people on past govt choices pretty small minded no matter where you are from.
post #156 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Good thing we saved your asses in the 40's so you could go on your rant. Lol.
I guess all I can say is that maybe we didn't have to get involved at all and maybe we were less inclined to stick our noses in other country's business. Much less for free. I think it could be a better choice now. We go help countries and get a rash for being there whether it is war or tsunami aid. We can never do enough.
You act like we should have just been there fighting right away. It took a lot of our resources that we didn't have at that time and the German's were well ahead with army and weapons.
I really like just about anyone from any country unless they are angry hate filled rednecks..... What is the equivalent of a British redneck? We are all just people trying to do our best in life. Rating people on past govt choices pretty small minded no matter where you are from.

Well, you didn't save my ass - my father and his grandfather did that. You guys saved some Italians and yourselves - you seem to forget you pretty much got your asses handed to you in certain parts of the Pacific and it took a couple of Oppenheimer's finest to stop it. And I think history shows that you were / are much more inclined to 'stick your noses into other peoples business' globally than you think - from Latin America to the Middle East, your fingerprints are all over their internal politics as much as the Brits..but I don't know you, so it would be a wild assumption on my part that you were some uneducated Bill O'Reilly / Glen Beck lovin' redneck who swallows Fox News bullshit. I bet you put a flag out on the lawn when your marines won the war in that Caribbean holiday resort.

 

As for rating people on past government choices...isn't that what you are doing? Taking the credit for 'saving our asses'? Save your own, mate. Your country is up to it's ass in debt, your shops are closing, your manufacturing is closing, your armed forces is over-stretched and the only thing that seems to make money these days is your military / arms manufacturing. What is...40-45% of your annual Gross Tax Spend? 

 

Better start another war, Bubba.

post #157 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte the Bear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post


Good thing we saved your asses in the 40's so you could go on your rant. Lol.
I guess all I can say is that maybe we didn't have to get involved at all and maybe we were less inclined to stick our noses in other country's business. Much less for free. I think it could be a better choice now. We go help countries and get a rash for being there whether it is war or tsunami aid. We can never do enough.
You act like we should have just been there fighting right away. It took a lot of our resources that we didn't have at that time and the German's were well ahead with army and weapons.
I really like just about anyone from any country unless they are angry hate filled rednecks..... What is the equivalent of a British redneck? We are all just people trying to do our best in life. Rating people on past govt choices pretty small minded no matter where you are from.

Well, you didn't save my ass - my father and his grandfather did that. You guys saved some Italians and yourselves - you seem to forget you pretty much got your asses handed to you in certain parts of the Pacific and it took a couple of Oppenheimer's finest to stop it. And I think history shows that you were / are much more inclined to 'stick your noses into other peoples business' globally than you think - from Latin America to the Middle East, your fingerprints are all over their internal politics as much as the Brits..but I don't know you, so it would be a wild assumption on my part that you were some uneducated Bill O'Reilly / Glen Beck lovin' redneck who swallows Fox News bullshit. I bet you put a flag out on the lawn when your marines won the war in that Caribbean holiday resort.

 

As for rating people on past government choices...isn't that what you are doing? Taking the credit for 'saving our asses'? Save your own, mate. Your country is up to it's ass in debt, your shops are closing, your manufacturing is closing, your armed forces is over-stretched and the only thing that seems to make money these days is your military / arms manufacturing. What is...40-45% of your annual Gross Tax Spend? 

 

Better start another war, Bubba.

 

I was joking about saving your ass it obviously was lost on you. I see I am dealing with a pikey? If you haven't noticed lately we are all in this together. When we suffer you suffer. You my friend are the typical European ass that hates America, no different than the ones here that hate Europeans or anyone else. There will be no getting through to you.

post #158 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

 

I was joking about saving your ass it obviously was lost on you. I see I am dealing with a pikey? If you haven't noticed lately we are all in this together. When we suffer you suffer. You my friend are the typical European ass that hates America, no different than the ones here that hate Europeans or anyone else. There will be no getting through to you.

Was it a joke? Your subtlety got the better of me. No, not a pikey - perhaps you should look descriptor up. 

 

When you state 'we are all in this together'..most of us wish we were not. Many of us think Bush and Blair should be tried for war crimes, along with Mr Rumsfeld. Many of us watch as boxes come flying in to Brize Norton filled with bits of our soldiers after the Taliban blow them up. We close the towns off so that the cortege can pass through and we watch silently as another lad goes to his grave. Look it up on YouTube, it's sobering.

 

A Taliban you armed and trained. Thanks for that. And thanks for the 'WOMD' crap that allowed Blair to prosecute a phoney war - another one you lot have shoved off from without winning it and leaving a trail of mess. just like Korea and Vietnam. Afghanistan will be the same - the entire Russian Army couldn't beat them - think you could? 

 

All that crap about hating America...I don't hate America. Or Americans. We just don't trust you to do anything 'to help people'. People don't hate Americans because of their freedom's, my friend. Or their lifestyle. They hate you because everything you do is about you. If you really did want to help people, your military would be in Syria, or Mexico, or North Korea. But there's no oil there, so tough luck for them.

 

Give us a break. 

post #159 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte the Bear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valleygolfer View Post

 

I was joking about saving your ass it obviously was lost on you. I see I am dealing with a pikey? If you haven't noticed lately we are all in this together. When we suffer you suffer. You my friend are the typical European ass that hates America, no different than the ones here that hate Europeans or anyone else. There will be no getting through to you.

Was it a joke? Your subtlety got the better of me. No, not a pikey - perhaps you should look descriptor up. 

 

When you state 'we are all in this together'..most of us wish we were not. Many of us think Bush and Blair should be tried for war crimes, along with Mr Rumsfeld. Many of us watch as boxes come flying in to Brize Norton filled with bits of our soldiers after the Taliban blow them up. We close the towns off so that the cortege can pass through and we watch silently as another lad goes to his grave. Look it up on YouTube, it's sobering.

 

A Taliban you armed and trained. Thanks for that. And thanks for the 'WOMD' crap that allowed Blair to prosecute a phoney war - another one you lot have shoved off from without winning it and leaving a trail of mess. just like Korea and Vietnam. Afghanistan will be the same - the entire Russian Army couldn't beat them - think you could? 

 

All that crap about hating America...I don't hate America. Or Americans. We just don't trust you to do anything 'to help people'. People don't hate Americans because of their freedom's, my friend. Or their lifestyle. They hate you because everything you do is about you. If you really did want to help people, your military would be in Syria, or Mexico, or North Korea. But there's no oil there, so tough luck for them.

 

Give us a break. 

There will be no getting through to you. Nothing to be done here.

post #160 of 364

I'm fine with that. Trying to make you understand an alternative POV...It's like trying to teach my dog to speak French.

post #161 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte the Bear View Post

I'm fine with that. Trying to make you understand an alternative POV...It's like trying to teach my dog to speak French.


No different on this end except my dog is blind and deaf.
post #162 of 364

OK, that made me laugh. We're getting hammered by a better team anyway. Time for a bottle of red.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Americans and Brits Shouting!