or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Swing Thoughts › 5SK Video Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

5SK Video Thread - Page 13

post #217 of 280
Makes perfect sense .. Thanks for the replies
post #218 of 280
I have a question about Key #1.

I'm working on this key and in taking a FO video, I find that my head moves slightly in the backswing because my front shoulder nudges it. I feel if I lower my shoulder, it changes my swing path by making it too steep.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can adjust this?

I apologize if this post shouldn't be in this thread.
post #219 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post

I have a question about Key #1.

I'm working on this key and in taking a FO video, I find that my head moves slightly in the backswing because my front shoulder nudges it. I feel if I lower my shoulder, it changes my swing path by making it too steep.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can adjust this?

I apologize if this post shouldn't be in this thread.

 

Rotation isn't the same as your head "moving." And your shoulders might want to be a bit steeper.

 

It's a good question for your My Swing thread. :)

post #220 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Rotation isn't the same as your head "moving." And your shoulders might want to be a bit steeper.

It's a good question for your My Swing thread. :)

No one pays attention to that thread, haha.
post #221 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post


No one pays attention to that thread, haha.

 

I do....;-)  BTW, Mike gave me the same advice regarding my shoulders, as my left was running into my chin..

post #222 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post

I do....a2_wink.gif   BTW, Mike gave me the same advice regarding my shoulders, as my left was running into my chin..

Thanks!

So you just had your shoulders be a bit steeper to correct it?
post #223 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post


Thanks!

So you just had your shoulders be a bit steeper to correct it?

 

Correct, more of the left shoulder going down, right going up. Shoulders will feel like they work more like a teeter totter. 

post #224 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

 

Correct, more of the left shoulder going down, right going up. Shoulders will feel like they work more like a teeter totter. 

 

I feel as though if I were a smaller, more flexible guy that this wouldn't feel as uncomfortable as it initially does.  :-$

post #225 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

I feel as though if I were a smaller, more flexible guy that this wouldn't feel as uncomfortable as it initially does.  :-$

 

 

Maybe look for some stretching exercises that you can do to help with more flexibility..?  Kevin Stadler on the PGA tour is a big guy, but has a nice swing, so it can be done..:-D

post #226 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFKFREAK View Post
 

 

I feel as though if I were a smaller, more flexible guy that this wouldn't feel as uncomfortable as it initially does.  :-$

 

I see many "largish" people making very nice swings.

 

BTW, I did lose about 25 to 30 pounds from where I started golf. I enjoyed food more in lieu of some physical activity like skiing and mountaineering.

post #227 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer 4 View Post
 

 

 

Maybe look for some stretching exercises that you can do to help with more flexibility..?  Kevin Stadler on the PGA tour is a big guy, but has a nice swing, so it can be done..:-D

Haha, or just steepen my shoulder and gain flexibility through repetition. ;)

post #228 of 280
Thread Starter 

This video demonstrates why we prefer to see foot flares in most of our students.

 

 

Still uploading…

post #229 of 280
I don't know why people don't just flare out their feet. There is way less resistance to the motion, it just feels more natural.

Once Mike and Dana told me to do it, it was like, oh yeah.

One person I play, who can't get rid of his own OTT swing queried me "Do you know why you pigeon toe your feet? Your Gluteus muscles aren't developed enough." Then shanked four balls while I hit four nicely flighted balls on target.
post #230 of 280
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I don't know why people don't just flare out their feet. There is way less resistance to the motion, it just feels more natural.

 

To some it feels awkward at first.

 

And pigeon toes are the opposite of flared feet. :) So your friend is wrong on two counts.

post #231 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

To some it feels awkward at first.

And pigeon toes are the opposite of flared feet. :) So your friend is wrong on two counts.

At least two. . .
post #232 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I don't know why people don't just flare out their feet. There is way less resistance to the motion, it just feels more natural.
I always just assumed people didn't do it because of Ben Hogan's book.
post #233 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

I always just assumed people didn't do it because of Ben Hogan's book.

I should read this book just to see, but almost every picture sequence of Ben swinging seems to show that his feet are not straight. He looks comfortably flared out.
post #234 of 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lihu View Post

I should read this book just to see, but almost every picture sequence of Ben swinging seems to show that his feet are not straight. He looks comfortably flared out.
Yea, he writes in the book that his front foot is flared and his rear is square, despite pictures and video showing otherwise.

Although, IIRC, he explicitly stated that both feet square was not a good thing. I'll have to look later to confirm.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Swing Thoughts
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Swing Thoughts › 5SK Video Thread