or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Leaderboard sort order for players with identical scores
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Leaderboard sort order for players with identical scores - Page 2

post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post

The fans decide, c'mon give me a break, you're speaking in platitudes. Don't be so obtuse (shawshank). The Tiger's, Phil's and Rory's have and will continue to earn their spot on the leaderboards, why not let the guy who had a great round get the spot he EARNED that day or week? I'm not naive I know it will never change, but I'm speaking up for the little guy. LOL

If Player X shoots -3, and Tiger shoots a -3, how has Player X "EARNED" it more than Tiger? Degree of difficulty for overcoming his relative lack of talent?
post #20 of 32

golfers are listed by the order in which they post (first in listed first). If player (A) posts ahead of Phil, Rory, or Tiger they have in effect Earned their rightful spot. It's just the preferential treatment to the games elite. Again, I know it isn't going to change, but the elite don't need any help, they get to the top of the leaderboard on their own merits more than anyone else.

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

golfers are listed by the order in which they post (first in listed first). If player (A) posts ahead of Phil, Rory, or Tiger they have in effect Earned their rightful spot. It's just the preferential treatment to the games elite. Again, I know it isn't going to change, but the elite don't need any help, they get to the top of the leaderboard on their own merits more than anyone else.

 

You're still talking about people with the same exact score, right?

post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

golfers are listed by the order in which they post (first in listed first). If player (A) posts ahead of Phil, Rory, or Tiger they have in effect Earned their rightful spot. It's just the preferential treatment to the games elite. Again, I know it isn't going to change, but the elite don't need any help, they get to the top of the leaderboard on their own merits more than anyone else.

 

Sorry, but you get the rare double-doh: :doh::doh:.

 

And Marc Summers has graciously agreed to award your prize!

 

 

Again, what you seem to be missing is this: the TV leaderboard is not the official leaderboard, and has no effect on pairings, etc. If the player wants to be ranked higher on the TV leaderboard, I suggest he win a hell of a lot more, as that's the only reason Tiger's name is listed so high, or Rory's, or Phil's…

post #23 of 32

One of us missed something. I began my post by addressing TV BROADCASTS. By your logic referees should not call fouls on Labron because fans want to see him. Labron is a great basketball player, but doesn't need preferred treatment. Tiger, Phil and Rory are great players but don't need preferred treatment. It's simple enough, first in, first up, no bias, no prejudice, no favoritism. I don't think the world will stop watching golf if the TV BROADCASTS listed EVERYONE in the same manner.

post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

One of us missed something. I began my post by addressing TV BROADCASTS. By your logic referees should not call fouls on Labron because fans want to see him. Labron is a great basketball player, but doesn't need preferred treatment. Tiger, Phil and Rory are great players but don't need preferred treatment. It's simple enough, first in, first up, no bias, no prejudice, no favoritism. I don't think the world will stop watching golf if the TV BROADCASTS listed EVERYONE in the same manner.

 

You seem to have missed the simple fact that TV broadcasts aren't in the business of showing no favoritism. You're out of touch with the very simple reality that they want people to WATCH the TV show they're airing, and if they can get more people to do so by juggling the order of people who are TIED, they'll do so, and it's SMART to do so.

 

Where it actually matters to the players and affects the competition being played - on the official leaderboard - there is no preferred treatment. That is where your LeBron analogy fails - not calling any fouls on him would actually affect the competition. But if they show him being interviewed or put his stats on the screen more than some other guy, well, that's TV playing to their audience.

post #25 of 32

Read my Last sentence. You think people would quit watching, I don't. I agree to disagree.

post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

Read my Last sentence. You think people would quit watching, I don't. I agree to disagree.

 

Fewer people would absolutely watch. That's WHY broadcasters DO that. It's really not a matter of opinion. More people watch golf when Tiger is shown more.

post #27 of 32

Not sure what topic you've wandered off to. I was only commenting on the way TV posts scores on their leaderboard. When Tiger plays the TV audience is probably doubled and rightly so. He is arguably the greatest golfer ever and most certainly at this time in the top two. This all has NOTHING to do with the order of scoring postings. You seem to favor listing the most popular golfer first I favor listing the first to post his score. You seem to think that if TV lists in the order of posted scores people will not watch the broadcast, while I don't think it would cause anyone to not watch. 

post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

Not sure what topic you've wandered off to.

 

I haven't wandered. Goodness.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

I was only commenting on the way TV posts scores on their leaderboard.

 

I know that. Everyone who reads this thread knows that.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

This all has NOTHING to do with the order of scoring postings.

 

Correct. It does not affect the official leaderboard.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

You seem to favor listing the most popular golfer first I favor listing the first to post his score.

 

No. I don't favor it. I understand why the TV folks list Tiger, Phil, or Rory (and others) higher among those with the same score. That is all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

You seem to think that if TV lists in the order of posted scores people will not watch the broadcast, while I don't think it would cause anyone to not watch. 

 

You are wrong, and that is why TV broadcasts list players in that order - because if people see "Tiger Woods" listed on the first page of the leaderboard (even though others have the same score and are relegated to page two or not shown at all), they will be more likely to continue watching (or, if they're flipping channels, to begin watching).

post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post

golfers are listed by the order in which they post (first in listed first). If player (A) posts ahead of Phil, Rory, or Tiger they have in effect Earned their rightful spot. It's just the preferential treatment to the games elite. Again, I know it isn't going to change, but the elite don't need any help, they get to the top of the leaderboard on their own merits more than anyone else.

"Earned their rightful spot ... on their own merits" by a standard the PGA Tour (or whoever) came up with years ago and holds no real or actual significance. The world of golf doesn't collapse when names are listed differently. They could start doing it alphabetically tomorrow and the sky wouldn't fall.
post #30 of 32

Very interesting comments on this subject and it seems to be a concern for a number of people. I am an ex player but a keen spectator on TV.

My understanding is the players are to be listed firstly by their score, then by the number of holes played and if scores are level (on same number of holes) then alphabetically.

i have always thought that is part of golf etiquette.

It is certainly the case on British TV coverage including the European Tour, Australian TV coverage also abides by that.

Not sure why American TV coverage should be different to all the rest.

post #31 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
 

One of us missed something. I began my post by addressing TV BROADCASTS. By your logic referees should not call fouls on Labron because fans want to see him. Labron is a great basketball player, but doesn't need preferred treatment. Tiger, Phil and Rory are great players but don't need preferred treatment. It's simple enough, first in, first up, no bias, no prejudice, no favoritism. I don't think the world will stop watching golf if the TV BROADCASTS listed EVERYONE in the same manner.

 

WRONG!  Labron, Kobe, Michael, Bird, Magic...  They all got preferential treatment. You ever hear of the Jordan Rules? Jordan carried the ball every time he went to the hole.  Never got called.  Plus you weren't allowed to touch Air Jordan or it was a foul.  Labron hardly ever dribbles.  He takes one bounce, then it's four steps to the rack.  He even jokes about it.  Calls it his crab walk.  Superstars get the calls.  Greg Maddox painted the black so often and so well he's in the HOF.  He absolutely got the benefit of the doubt.  Shack used to murder fools in the lane.  They just let 'em play.

 

And how is listing someone higher on a leader board preferential treatment?  Do they shoot a lower score if they're listed higher?  Because the golfers ain't watching the broadcast!  I never heard Rory say, "I'd have made that putt if they would have listed me higher than those other choppers who scored the same as me!"

post #32 of 32

I can't comment on how the TV networks post them, but the weekend pairings follow a "First in, Last out" policy

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Leaderboard sort order for players with identical scores