or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › What would I gain by switching clubs?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What would I gain by switching clubs?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

So I use the Titleist 775 cb(forged stainless steel) now which I think is 6 or 7 year old. They are not fitted at all, the shaft is Nippon NS Pro 100 R-flex. They are intended for 15+ handicappers, with lots of offset and stuff.

 

I would say i'm a pretty good ballstriker with irons, I would guess I hit the sweetspot around 80 % of the time and hit pretty long, around 175 yards average with 5i and don't have any general problem with ballflight.

 

I wonder what I would suspect to gain or loose if I would switch to Mizuno Mp59 or Titleist Ap2 and do a proper fitting to get the right shaft( problably stiff) and other parameters.

 

How would this affect:

 

Distance

Spin

Ability to control ballflight

Length control

Trajectory

Bad hits not perfectly at sweetspot

 

Im really a noob to this and never actually tried anything else than newbeginners clubs.

post #2 of 13

Best thing would be to compare your current irons and the MP and new Titleist:

  • on a launch monitor. That will answer all your questions listed above - shaft will have a major influence on the performance. Also, ball type will influence the results.
  • outdoors so you can see how the ball actually flies, and feels off divoting turf.

 

I fear you won't gain much by reading third-party opinions on what might happen.

post #3 of 13

What will happen? My prediction is that when you hit the sweet spot of the clubs your thinking of testing, you will become addicted as if it is crack.

 

The feeling of hitting the sweet spot with my Mizunos is amazing.

 

You need to test as WUTiger suggests. I went from Callaway Fusions to Mizuno JPX Pro's. My experience was that I lost about a club in distance, gained feel that matters in short irons, gained consistency of distance, and fell in love with the feeling of a pure shot.

post #4 of 13

getting fitted for my jpx800s turned my 6 yards of draw (real life more like 8-10 at times) into 2 or less yards of draw (confirmed in real life) because the larger offset of my old irons was compounding my propensity to go left. distances stayed the same (both game improvement clubs), but the angles were much better and launch and approach. when i tried a TM Forged MB i lost about 5 yards, but my shots were tighter than every other club i tried other than the mizunos.

 

as rustyredcab above me said, the feel of hitting a blade in the sweet spot is a beautiful thing. miss it and you'll feel every bit of it shock your hand, but for the most part it seems to be a straighter miss than an SGI club might have, although you're losing real distance.

 

i have an old forged titlist 2 iron that i knock around sometimes. when you catch it right it feels amazing.

post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger187126 View Post

getting fitted for my jpx800s turned my 6 yards of draw (real life more like 8-10 at times) into 2 or less yards of draw (confirmed in real life) because the larger offset of my old irons was compounding my propensity to go left. distances stayed the same (both game improvement clubs), but the angles were much better and launch and approach. when i tried a TM Forged MB i lost about 5 yards, but my shots were tighter than every other club i tried other than the mizunos.

 

as rustyredcab above me said, the feel of hitting a blade in the sweet spot is a beautiful thing. miss it and you'll feel every bit of it shock your hand, but for the most part it seems to be a straighter miss than an SGI club might have, although you're losing real distance.

 

i have an old forged titlist 2 iron that i knock around sometimes. when you catch it right it feels amazing.

 

My Titleist Tour Models were "forged" in the mid-1980s. I've hit other irons from that era and the Titleists are easily the worst of the lot from a "feel" perspective. Good shots aplenty, but just gross at impact.

post #6 of 13

Generally speaking you would hit the MP-59's lower and with less spin.  Get fit somewhere that has a Mizuno fitting chart

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/innovation/performance-fitting-system

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

 

My Titleist Tour Models were "forged" in the mid-1980s. I've hit other irons from that era and the Titleists are easily the worst of the lot from a "feel" perspective. Good shots aplenty, but just gross at impact.

 

here's mine, true temper dynamic s shaft:

 

 

 

and here are the state of the art grips:

 

 

 

every once in a while it feels like a knife through butter, but most of the time it rattles my hands pretty bad.

 

edit:

 

and to what mvmac said, i just went through a ping nflight fitting and a mizuno fitting for my clubs. the information they give you is pretty cool.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

I fear you won't gain much by reading third-party opinions on what might happen.

I know I won't gain much by this but i'm just curious, and also want to gain as much information as possible before going to the club fitting center so I know that they know what they are talking about.

 

I like the answers I got from here, losing distance is no problem for me if I gain feel. Also my ball trajectory can be very high so that won't be a problem with it being lower. Losing spin I don't really like but I hope it won't matter so much with the shorter irons pw, 9 and 8. My ultimate goal with this change of clubs I hope will be I earn more distance control, more feel and that I actually can feel a difference between my old clubs and the new. Going to be interesting for sure.

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Generally speaking you would hit the MP-59's lower and with less spin.  Get fit somewhere that has a Mizuno fitting chart

http://www.mizunousa.com/golf/innovation/performance-fitting-system

By this you mean I should go with the mp59 and not ap2? =)

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrino View Post

By this you mean I should go with the mp59 and not ap2? =)

You'll find a lot of Muzuno love pn this forum. The MP 53's are being replaced. Much loved here and elsewhere. They should be a "good deal" soon. Reviews claim 53's might be more forgiving than the 59's. I love my 53's and I feel I'm just good enough to play them.

post #11 of 13

Those 775's are great clubs. Get fitted with them, check lie and loft, reshaft...

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyredcab View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevrino View Post

By this you mean I should go with the mp59 and not ap2? =)

You'll find a lot of Muzuno love pn this forum. The MP 53's are being replaced. Much loved here and elsewhere. They should be a "good deal" soon. Reviews claim 53's might be more forgiving than the 59's. I love my 53's and I feel I'm just good enough to play them.

 

If he's looking for lower ball flight and less spin, would the 53s fit that bill?

post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_miller View Post

 

If he's looking for lower ball flight and less spin, would the 53s fit that bill?

I have my 53's shafted to keep the ball down for me. Replaced the XP S200's with PX 5.0 Flighted. A well hit 5-iron gets up as high as I'd like and the short irons are lower than I was getting with JPX Pro's with XPS200 shafts and Callaway Fusions with DGS200's. Also lower than JPX Pro's with PX 5.0 non-flighted soft stepped. YMMV.

 

I can't speak to spin other than to say a well struck ball penetrates the wind great. I am not a zip it back guy. Short irons stop about the same as the last two sets I've played.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › What would I gain by switching clubs?