or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2012 NFL Season
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 NFL Season - Page 13

post #217 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

Agreed!

 

I guess Dan Marino wasn't a succesful (pocket) QB? I guess he should've become more "scrambly"

 

And yes "scrambly" is a new word LOL

For all the talk of Marino, the fact is that his teams got to and lost in the playoffs, frequently because he played badly.  Over-rated IMO.  In his one Super Bowl he put up a 66.9 passer rating.

 

And anyway, we aren't really talking about individuals.  We are talking about types.  Almost every Super Bowl has been won by a pocket QB.  NO running QBs have won the Super Bowl.  One scrambling QB (Steve Young, who later in his career ran when forced, not as planned plays - which is my definition of the difference between a scrambling QB and a running QB) has won the Super Bowl. 

 

Will RG3 break the mold?  Maybe.  But the odds are against him.

post #218 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

For all the talk of Marino, the fact is that his teams got to and lost in the playoffs, frequently because he played badly.  Over-rated IMO.  In his one Super Bowl he put up a 66.9 passer rating.

 

And anyway, we aren't really talking about individuals.  We are talking about types.  Almost every Super Bowl has been won by a pocket QB.  NO running QBs have won the Super Bowl.  One scrambling QB (Steve Young, who later in his career ran when forced, not as planned plays - which is my definition of the difference between a scrambling QB and a running QB) has won the Super Bowl. 

 

Will RG3 break the mold?  Maybe.  But the odds are against him.

 

I think Marino was the greatest passer in the history of the game. Note the word I used - passer. The quick release & his accuracy, coupled with good WRs - the Marks Brothers, Tony Nathan & others allowed him to break a ton of passing records. But defense wins championships, and those Dolphin teams did not have any defense - we used to call them the Olphins - no D.

 

So yeah, Marino got shut down in the playoffs cuz teams got 'hep to the Fins one-dimensional offense. And their defense couldn't contain the other team. That's why Dan never got a ring. He couldn't play Linebacker. And unfortunately for him, nobody else on those teams did either.

post #219 of 288

Effing Lions!  c1_cursing.gif

post #220 of 288
I'm enjoying our running game
post #221 of 288

RGIII? 

post #222 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK88S View Post

RGIII? 

 

Timely injury. My Browns just won their third straight game...and Washington comes to town Sunday.

post #223 of 288

RGIII MRI was negative, so he should be OK.  That young man needs to learn to slide!!!  The Ravens are starting to struggle.  Should be an interesting last four weeks.

post #224 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK88S View Post

RGIII? 

 

 Cam Newton?

And RG3 Will be fine, he just needs to go to Nationals spring training and learn how to sliiiiiiiiiiiide

post #225 of 288

Browns with a win... Three weeks in a row!? The Mayan calendar may be right!? c2_beer.gif

post #226 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

For all the talk of Marino, the fact is that his teams got to and lost in the playoffs, frequently because he played badly.  Over-rated IMO.  In his one Super Bowl he put up a 66.9 passer rating.

 

And anyway, we aren't really talking about individuals.  We are talking about types.  Almost every Super Bowl has been won by a pocket QB.  NO running QBs have won the Super Bowl.  One scrambling QB (Steve Young, who later in his career ran when forced, not as planned plays - which is my definition of the difference between a scrambling QB and a running QB) has won the Super Bowl. 

 

Will RG3 break the mold?  Maybe.  But the odds are against him.

I just think the NFL is changing. We have more "athletes" playing QB now more than ever before. It's only a matter of time before pocket QB's are no longer the norm.

post #227 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Browns with a win... Three weeks in a row!? The Mayan calendar may be right!? c2_beer.gif

Rams also coming through? im starting to get worried.

post #228 of 288

Go Browns!!

 

(turtleback the Giants fan)
 

post #229 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

I just think the NFL is changing. We have more "athletes" playing QB now more than ever before. It's only a matter of time before pocket QB's are no longer the norm.


We'll see.  There are athletes on the other side too, just salivating over delivering the hit to these athletic running QBs.  And it has yet to be proven that a running QB can take a team all the way.

post #230 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post


We'll see.  There are athletes on the other side too, just salivating over delivering the hit to these athletic running QBs.  And it has yet to be proven that a running QB can take a team all the way.

Very true. These guys cant wait for their chance to come one on one with a "runner"

post #231 of 288
Quote:
I just think the NFL is changing. We have more "athletes" playing QB now more than ever before. It's only a matter of time before pocket QB's are no longer the norm.

I don't agree with this.  If anything, the running QB is retro.  Cam Newton broke the rush TD record for a QB last year breaking Steve Grogan's record from 1976.  Many QBs ran back then.  The QB draw was a common play.  The Pocket passer and evolution of the passing game is a later development.

post #232 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonK88S View Post

Very true. These guys cant wait for their chance to come one on one with a "runner"

These guys cant wait for the chance to hit a QB period. And more than a few had their chance at 6"4 250 lb Cam Newton on his long TD run last week but the result was a TD c3_clap.gif

 

post #233 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post


We'll see.  There are athletes on the other side too, just salivating over delivering the hit to these athletic running QBs.  And it has yet to be proven that a running QB can take a team all the way.

I agree that it has yet to be proven that a running QB can take a team all the way. But guys who get paid to scout talent and draft are drafting these guys and starting them very early. These guys have forgotten more football then I'll ever know so with that said it's fun to watch either way.

post #234 of 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

I don't agree with this.  If anything, the running QB is retro.  Cam Newton broke the rush TD record for a QB last year breaking Steve Grogan's record from 1976.  Many QBs ran back then.  The QB draw was a common play.  The Pocket passer and evolution of the passing game is a later development.

I stand by my post only because I was born in 76 so anything pre Im not familiar with. So I guess I should re-word it to say "The NFL that I know is changing" LOL

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2012 NFL Season