or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Jack Nicklaus Endorses Romney, Mitt calls Jack “Greatest athlete of the 20th century.”
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jack Nicklaus Endorses Romney, Mitt calls Jack “Greatest athlete of the 20th century.” - Page 11

post #181 of 404

This election is the fruit of a philosophy that has been dissolving the free nature of this country for a long time.  People en masse are rejecting the opportunity to take up the mantle to self-govern and are handing over their liberty freely to an ideology that will ultimately enslave them.  This is what happens without fail in human history, and America is no exception.  You aren't smarter than they were in the past who thought they could do the same and not end up with the same result, even though you are convinced you are.  It won't come immediately:  there will be further weakening through taxation and ever-expansive authority.  You will slowly lose your freedom until you can no longer travel freely to see your family in a different town.  They will come and claim your property as their own and claim it is for a greater good.  Didn't you see in the news recently that the Chinese government crushed a protesting villager with a steamroller because they needed to take his property for the state?  Right...  That wasn't on MSNBC.  Honestly, take a look at some of the posts on drudgereport once or twice and get a perspective that's different than NPR, if you are truly objective and open-minded like you claim.  Read 1 Samuel 8 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel%208&version=NIV) and study to see what happened to Israel when they did the same thing America is doing now.

post #182 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


10%.....? Heck, 15% are on food stamps alone!
That's not the point though. The point is the overall expectation that a large portion of the population holds that the government exists to take care of them personally. My response was specifically to demonstrate my agreement with the post stating that party philosophies have changed dramatically since the 60's.....both parties, not just that of the Republican Party as was intimated in the post to which I responded.
Where we differ is that I believe in individual freedom and responsibility, and Mr Obama believes that it's the job of government to provide for everyone. From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.
That's not demonizing him, it's just reality. Why won't we "work with" him? Again, we disagree vehemently with what he, and most of the Democrat Party are working towards......ultimately, Statism and Socialism. Anyone who doesn't see that simply hasn't been paying attention, or they're being intentionally disingenuous.

Another crock reply, but you're entitled to it.

 

You have no idea where we differ.

 

And apparently you have no idea as to what Obama believes.

 

Enough - I need to work. You and your brethren can make assumptions and state your fantasies.

 

I deal in facts.

post #183 of 404

Mr. Desmond - Where are you from originally?

 

Refute anything I have said about the ME, Brian Terry and president downgrades record of failure.

 

All you do is attack with a nothing argument, just like a progressive American hating piece of trash. You present no facts to refute anything I have said.

 

You sir are an idiot of epic proportions and show such a lack of intelligence that you could be labeled stupid or a progressive demonrat is is pretty much two of the same things.

 

As far as I'm concerned you are nothing and not worthy of any more of my time as you have shown that you are an America hating piece of camel dung
 

post #184 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post



Enough - I need to work....

A Democrat with a job?! Wow, talk about being in the minority!,
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I know, I know, that was completely uncalled for and I apologize! But if you're gonna tee it up like that, admit it, you'd have been disappointed in me if I hadn't taken a swing at it! a3_biggrin.gif
post #185 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


A Democrat with a job?! Wow, talk about being in the minority!,

 

Sort of like a Republican with a heart.

post #186 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV View Post

Mr. Desmond - Where are you from originally?

 

Refute anything I have said about the ME, Brian Terry and president downgrades record of failure.

 

All you do is attack with a nothing argument, just like a progressive American hating piece of trash. You present no facts to refute anything I have said.

 

You sir are an idiot of epic proportions and show such a lack of intelligence that you could be labeled stupid or a progressive demonrat is is pretty much two of the same things.

 

As far as I'm concerned you are nothing and not worthy of any more of my time as you have shown that you are an America hating piece of camel dung
 

When the facts don't fit your image of reality, attack the messenger! 

 

Apparently, your fine American education has failed you, and all of us.

 

You can neither read nor comprehend.

 

I am so sorry for you, and all of us as a community of US citizens.

 

Hey, tell you what, when you can rationally discuss issues with facts like a  big boy, post to me.


Edited by Mr. Desmond - 10/1/12 at 11:40am
post #187 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


A Democrat with a job?! Wow, talk about being in the minority!,
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I know, I know, that was completely uncalled for and I apologize! But if you're gonna tee it up like that, admit it, you'd have been disappointed in me if I hadn't taken a swing at it! a3_biggrin.gif

Nice stereotype.

 

Not a Democrat, either. Voted GOP in major elections for over 25 years until Bush 43 showed up. Thought Dick Cheney had the upper hand for the first four years. Bush 43 wasn't ready in 2001 and proved with Iraq and the economic collapse in 2008 that he was never ready.

 

As to stereotypes and labeling, which tend to get used too frequently in these type of threads, we ought to try to minimize labels. It leads to misunderstanding. We all do it to an extent. All if us are guilty. It's a shortcut and solves nothing.

 

Enjoy.


Edited by Mr. Desmond - 10/1/12 at 11:37am
post #188 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Sort of like a Republican with a heart.

Sort of.....! b2_tongue.gif
post #189 of 404

Re: Jack Nicklaus Endorses Romney, Mitt calls Jack

Think ill endorse Obama. He seems like a nice guy and plays golf.
post #190 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanalei View Post

Think ill endorse Obama. He seems like a nice guy and plays golf.

Are you doing that because you hope he will call you the greatest athlete of the 21st century? c2_beer.gif

post #191 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


I'm curious. How do you define humanitarian?
I only ask so that I can understand why, in your eyes, neither Mr Romney nor I would qualify.
One note.....I would have expected a humanitarian to be less insulting, even towards those with differing opinions, but then again, I don't know your personal definition.....


Your desperation knows no bounds and your arguments are devoid of logic.

 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humanitarian

 

Neither yourself or Mitt the Mutt seem to give a damn for 49%, we are told, of your fellow countrymen so one can only conclude that you would give even less for anyone else.

 

Humanitarian, therefore, you 'aint.  Capiche?

post #192 of 404

I thought this article was revealing. We're discussing, arguing, and/or insulting each other in this thread. The fact is we won't change each other's minds about people or issues. I learned over 10 years on the GEA political forum that people won't believe you even if you present good facts. I like reasoning but it doesn't work. Why? Take a look:

 

 

You don’t have to be Karl Rove to appreciate the obvious fact that the evidence often fails to persuade, to suspect that what really works are the tried and true methods of good advertising, emotional associations and having the bigger stick (or “super PAC”).

Recently, however, some social scientists, most notably the psychologist Jonathan Haidt, have upped the cynical ante. In Haidt’s view, the philosophers’ dream of reason isn’t just naïve, it is radically unfounded, the product of what he calls “the rationalist delusion.” As he puts it, “Anyone who values truth should stop worshiping reason. We all need to take a cold, hard look at the evidence and see reasoning for what it is. [1] Haidt sees two points about reasoning to be particularly important: the first concerns the efficacy (or lack thereof) of reasoning; the second concerns the point of doing so publicly: of exchanging reasons.

According to Haidt, not only are value judgments less often a product of rational deliberation than we’d like to think, that is how we are supposed to function. That it is how we are hardwired by evolution. In the neuroscientist Drew Westen’s words, the political brain is the emotional brain.

Leif Parsons

Often “reasoning” really seems to be post-hoc rationalization: we tend to accept that which confirms what we already believe (psychologists call this confirmation bias). And the tendency goes beyond just politics. When people are told that they scored low on an I.Q. test, for example, they are more likely to read scientific articles criticizing such tests; when they score high, they are more likely to read articles that support the tests. They are more likely to favor the “evidence,” in other words, that makes them feel good. This is what Haidt calls the “wag the dog” illusion: thinking that reason is the tail that wags the dog of value judgment.

 

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/hope-for-reason/?hp

post #193 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

I thought this article was revealing. We're discussing, arguing, and/or insulting each other in this thread. The fact is we won't change each other's minds about people or issues. I learned over 10 years on the GEA political forum that people won't believe you even if you present good facts. I like reasoning but it doesn't work. Why? Take a look:


You don’t have to be Karl Rove to appreciate the obvious fact that the evidence often fails to persuade, to suspect that what really works are the tried and true methods of good advertising, emotional associations and having the bigger stick (or “super PAC”).



Recently, however, some social scientists, most notably the psychologist Jonathan Haidt, have upped the cynical ante. In Haidt’s view, the philosophers’ dream of reason isn’t just naïve, it is radically unfounded, the product of what he calls “the rationalist delusion.” As he puts it, “Anyone who values truth should stop worshiping reason. We all need to take a cold, hard look at the evidence and see reasoning for what it is. [1] Haidt sees two points about reasoning to be particularly important: the first concerns the efficacy (or lack thereof) of reasoning; the second concerns the point of doing so publicly: of exchanging reasons.



According to Haidt, not only are value judgments less often a product of rational deliberation than we’d like to think, that is how we are supposed to function. That it is how we are hardwired by evolution. In the neuroscientist Drew Westen’s words, the political brain is the emotional brain.



30stone-img-blog427.jpgLeif Parsons


Often “reasoning” really seems to be post-hoc rationalization: we tend to accept that which confirms what we already believe (psychologists call this confirmation bias). And the tendency goes beyond just politics. When people are told that they scored low on an I.Q. test, for example, they are more likely to read scientific articles criticizing such tests; when they score high, they are more likely to read articles that support the tests. They are more likely to favor the “evidence,” in other words, that makes them feel good. This is what Haidt calls the “wag the dog” illusion: thinking that reason is the tail that wags the dog of value judgment.



 



http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/hope-for-reason/?hp




Interesting article. I can't argue. I've found the same thing. No matter how reasoned your argument, it's virtually impossible to change someone's opinion, especially in an open forum like this.
post #194 of 404

The best thing you can do is find someone who doesn't plan to vote and try to get them to!
 

post #195 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty View Post

That's why golfers should stick to golf.

How's the weather in Australia?

It's been a little hot over here...
post #196 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerputt View Post

This election is the fruit of a philosophy that has been dissolving the free nature of this country for a long time.  People en masse are rejecting the opportunity to take up the mantle to self-govern and are handing over their liberty freely to an ideology that will ultimately enslave them.  This is what happens without fail in human history, and America is no exception.  You aren't smarter than they were in the past who thought they could do the same and not end up with the same result, even though you are convinced you are.  It won't come immediately:  there will be further weakening through taxation and ever-expansive authority.  You will slowly lose your freedom until you can no longer travel freely to see your family in a different town.  They will come and claim your property as their own and claim it is for a greater good.  Didn't you see in the news recently that the Chinese government crushed a protesting villager with a steamroller because they needed to take his property for the state?  Right...  That wasn't on MSNBC.  Honestly, take a look at some of the posts on drudgereport once or twice and get a perspective that's different than NPR, if you are truly objective and open-minded like you claim.  Read 1 Samuel 8 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1%20Samuel%208&version=NIV) and study to see what happened to Israel when they did the same thing America is doing now.

Yep, that darn Patriot Actg2_eek.gif

post #197 of 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV View Post

Mr. Desmond - Where are you from originally?

 

Refute anything I have said about the ME, Brian Terry and president downgrades record of failure.

 

All you do is attack with a nothing argument, just like a progressive American hating piece of trash. You present no facts to refute anything I have said.

 

You sir are an idiot of epic proportions and show such a lack of intelligence that you could be labeled stupid or a progressive demonrat is is pretty much two of the same things.

 

As far as I'm concerned you are nothing and not worthy of any more of my time as you have shown that you are an America hating piece of camel dung
 

I grew up and lived in conservative Texas, went to a very conservative, large, Texas university, and was raised in a conservative family. I have a BBA in Business, an MBA in Accounting, was a CPA, and have two law degrees from a conservative well-known university. I practiced tax law for  20 years, was a CFO, and am a general counsel for several businesses advising families and business owners - wealthy people, not Mitt Romney types, but they are members of the 1%. I help them make money, strategize, and grow their manufacturing and distribution entities so they can employ more US workers and make US products.

 

Any more questions about my lack of intelligence, stupidity, idiocy, nothing arguments, and my American hating?

post #198 of 404

Nice resume.  I'm curious how you believe re-electing Obama would be in your and more importantly your clients best interest?  I agree Romney was a poor choice by the GOP, but I see him as the lesser of two evils. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

I grew up and lived in conservative Texas, went to a very conservative, large, Texas university, and was raised in a conservative family. I have a BBA in Business, an MBA in Accounting, was a CPA, and have two law degrees from a conservative well-known university. I practiced tax law for  20 years, was a CFO, and am a general counsel for several businesses advising families and business owners - wealthy people, not Mitt Romney types, but they are members of the 1%. I help them make money, strategize, and grow their manufacturing and distribution entities so they can employ more US workers and make US products.

 

Any more questions about my lack of intelligence, stupidity, idiocy, nothing arguments, and my American hating?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › Jack Nicklaus Endorses Romney, Mitt calls Jack “Greatest athlete of the 20th century.”