or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2012 MLB post season predictions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2012 MLB post season predictions?

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 

Anyone care to make bold predictions for the post season?  World Series Champions?  One and done winners (Baltimore at Texas, St Louis at Atlanta)? Every possible series outcome?

 

I'll say this.  The Reds and Rangers don't look as formidable as they did 3 weeks ago.  And no team looks rock solid unbeatable.

post #2 of 44

I think the Nats will come out of the NL.  Even without Strasburg, their starters are just too good.  

 

For the AL, I think it will be the Yankees, if they can make it past round 1.  I wouldn't want to play the O's right now.

 

I say Yanks over Nats in 6.

post #3 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

I think the Nats will come out of the NL.  Even without Strasburg, their starters are just too good.  

 

For the AL, I think it will be the Yankees, if they can make it past round 1.  I wouldn't want to play the O's right now.

 

I say Yanks over Nats in 6.

 

So dsc123 has weighed in with the Yanks over the Nats in the Fall Classic.  Sound picks really - the Yankees never gave up 1st place in the East, and the Nats could be considered a team of destiny.  CC is dominating and the Nats are legit. Anyone else?

 

I'll start with the one and done teams tomorrow:

 

I think the Rangers will eek out a win tomorrow over the Showalter lead Os.  The Os are hot, but the Rangers have been focused all season long on getting back to the Classic.  'Make the post season' was their only goal in the regular season and while sluggish the last 2 weeks, they did that. Yu brings energy, and look for him to go 7 innings and hurl 125 pitches if necessary to set the pace.  Os will lose a 1 run game as the Rangers have a big chip on their shoulder and a resume that isn't complete.

 

The Hotlanta Braves suffered the last 6 weeks of 2011 due to a depleted bullpen, and rectified that this year locking up the first wild card slot.  But they face St Louis who eliminated them last season. Going with the conventional wisdom of those who get hot late in the season, I like the Cards on strength of schedule alone.  Both went 7-3 down the stretch, but the Cards did so against playoff bound Reds and Nats.  The Braves faced disappointing Miami and Pittsburgh. Veteran lineup and they will be patient against Medlen to work his pitch count insures Redbird Nation of advancing.  

post #4 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHotPower View Post

Anyone care to make bold predictions for the post season?  World Series Champions?  One and done winners (Baltimore at Texas, St Louis at Atlanta)? Every possible series outcome?

 

I'll say this.  The Reds and Rangers don't look as formidable as they did 3 weeks ago.  And no team looks rock solid unbeatable.

We are going to see a rematch of the 1989 World Series ... but hopefully without all of the shaking.

 

WC preditions:  Atlanta and Texas both winning at home tomorrow.

 

LDS:  Yanks over Texas in 4.  Atlanta will beat the Nationals in 5.  Oakland over Detroit in 5.  SF over Cincinnati in 4.

 

LCS:  A's over Yanks in 7 (hopefully because of the benefit of a bogus 'out' call at the plate) and Giants over Braves in 6.

 

WS:  A's in 5.  (Maybe the Bash Brothers will throw out first pitches in game 3 in Oakland??)

 

When is the sequel "Moneyball 2: Electric Boogaloo" coming out??  Forget Cabrera and Trout, Billy Beane should be MVP this year!

post #5 of 44

I live on the other side of the country, but it would be pretty cool to see a Beltway Series (Nationals/Orioles). That would be even better if Strasburg were still around. I love watching Bryce Harper play and hope he stays around awhile in the postseason.

 

I don't want to see the two teams closest to me (the Giants and A's) in a rematch of the Earthquake Series of 1989. I like and respect the A's and would have no qualms about them getting there, but I can't stand the Giants.

 

You know the FOX TV people are praying for Yankees/Nationals, and I think they might get their wish. If it comes to pass, I just hope the Nationals win.

post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

We are going to see a rematch of the 1989 World Series ... but hopefully without all of the shaking.

 

WC preditions:  Atlanta and Texas both winning at home tomorrow.

 

LDS:  Yanks over Texas in 4.  Atlanta will beat the Nationals in 5.  Oakland over Detroit in 5.  SF over Cincinnati in 4.

 

LCS:  A's over Yanks in 7 (hopefully because of the benefit of a bogus 'out' call at the plate) and Giants over Braves in 6.

 

WS:  A's in 5.  (Maybe the Bash Brothers will throw out first pitches in game 3 in Oakland??)

 

When is the sequel "Moneyball 2: Electric Boogaloo" coming out??  Forget Cabrera and Trout, Billy Beane should be MVP this year!

BTW, if you are a betting man, you might be advised to do the exact opposite of whatever I say. c2_beer.gif

post #7 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

We are going to see a rematch of the 1989 World Series ... but hopefully without all of the shaking.

 

I would love to see this happen again...for obvious reasons, but I'm doubtful that it will happen.

 

I see the Giants and Nationals in the NLCS, but with Washington winning because the Giants have struggled against them during the regular season.

 

For the AL, I see Yankees and the A's, but I'll give the advantage to the A's. If you have a rookie team sweeping the Yankess (granted at home) in a 4-game series, I'll give the edge to the A's. 

 

I predict the A's vs the Nationals in the World Series. Nationals winning it all. 

post #8 of 44
My A's all the way....
post #9 of 44
Thread Starter 

Cards advance. I was really surprised how they did in one and done formation.dominant.

post #10 of 44
I'll be rooting for the A's and the Orioles (provided they win tonight).
post #11 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHotPower View Post

Cards advance. I was really surprised how they did in one and done formation.dominant.

 

It helps to be on the receiving end of the most BS call in baseball history.

post #12 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper View Post

It helps to be on the receiving end of the most BS call in baseball history.

I am surprised so many people are up in arms over this.  Not only was it not even close to being "the most BS call in baseball history" [That moniker should be reserved for Don Denkinger, Jeffrey Maier, and AJ Pierzynski v. Angels in '05 ALCS, various others] but it wasn't even wrong.

 

I agree that it was pretty far into the outfield, but unfortunately, the location of the ball has no bearing on the rule (so long as its fair).  I also agree that the call was made pretty late, but that didn't hurt the runners (the whole point of the rule) so that really isn't an issue either.  Had the SS (who was hardly exerting any effort to get there) not peeled off, he would have been there in another step.  He could have attempted to drop it on purpose and turn a double play (the reason for the rule).  You think the Braves are up in arms about this, but had he not called it and the SS not peeled off and managed a DP, I think the ump would have been murdered on the spot.

post #13 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I am surprised so many people are up in arms over this.  Not only was it not even close to being "the most BS call in baseball history" [That moniker should be reserved for Don Denkinger, Jeffrey Maier, and AJ Pierzynski v. Angels in '05 ALCS, various others] but it wasn't even wrong.

 

I agree that it was pretty far into the outfield, but unfortunately, the location of the ball has no bearing on the rule (so long as its fair).  I also agree that the call was made pretty late, but that didn't hurt the runners (the whole point of the rule) so that really isn't an issue either.  Had the SS (who was hardly exerting any effort to get there) not peeled off, he would have been there in another step.  He could have attempted to drop it on purpose and turn a double play (the reason for the rule).  You think the Braves are up in arms about this, but had he not called it and the SS not peeled off and managed a DP, I think the ump would have been murdered on the spot.

agree - the call was a non-issue.  Loved how the fans got involved. stay classy Atlanta

post #14 of 44
Thread Starter 

but the real travesty was the Rangers. Granted the writing was on the wall in the way they finished the season; but to just mail it in?  I give props to the Os though. They wanted it and took it. Suks today living in Dallas metro area.  What do they do in the offseason?  No need to blow it up, but need to make significant changes.

post #15 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

He could have attempted to drop it on purpose and turn a double play (the reason for the rule).

 

No way you get a double play off a ball hit that deep. Not even with a Molina with two broken ankles running.

post #16 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchparrot19 View Post

 

No way you get a double play off a ball hit that deep. Not even with a Molina with two broken ankles running.

Perhaps not ... but that isn't part of the rule.  The umpire only has to make the judgement that the infielder is making the play with ordinary effort.  If you had to consider the possibility of whether or not a double play was actually turnable, then you'd never call the infield fly rule if Vince Coleman or Rickie Henderson were on the basepaths.

post #17 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Perhaps not ... but that isn't part of the rule.  The umpire only has to make the judgement that the infielder is making the play with ordinary effort.  If you had to consider the possibility of whether or not a double play was actually turnable, then you'd never call the infield fly rule if Vince Coleman or Rickie Henderson were on the basepaths.

 

Bottom line: It was nowhere near the worst call of even recent postseason history, but it was not a good call, and it's one that's not made under normal circumstances with umpires stationed only at the bases. The perspective was skewed.

 

I read on ESPN.com that there were seven infield-fly-rule balls that hit the ground over the past three seasons. Of those, the farthest one from the plate was 178 feet. The ball yesterday traveled 225 feet.

post #18 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchparrot19 View Post

... and it's one that's not made under normal circumstances with umpires stationed only at the bases. The perspective was skewed.

This is a really good point ... I had not thought of this.  A regular game without outfield umpires means it's up to the 3rd base umpire to make that call.  He's probably going to see that ball go so far over his head that there is no way he considers it an infield fly, even though by the definition of the rule, it can be argued as such.  (Which I have been doing)

 

Either way, solid point.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2012 MLB post season predictions?