or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › I hate Priuses, or Prii, or whatever....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I hate Priuses, or Prii, or whatever.... - Page 3

post #37 of 63

f3_laugh.gif  Why does that dip shit lady fail to realize she can move her Prius into a different spot so she isn't downwind from the truck?  Then, I love how she is yelling at the guy for driving a truck, when his job is in marketing.  And totally ignored the fact that he has a farm with animals. 

post #38 of 63

I am trying to decide if this was staged or not. I mean who is running a camera in the parking lot? On the other hand I think I have met this lady....

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

f3_laugh.gif  Why does that dip shit lady fail to realize she can move her Prius into a different spot so she isn't downwind from the truck?  Then, I love how she is yelling at the guy for driving a truck, when his job is in marketing.  And totally ignored the fact that he has a farm with animals. 

post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

f3_laugh.gif  Why does that dip shit lady fail to realize she can move her Prius into a different spot so she isn't downwind from the truck?  Then, I love how she is yelling at the guy for driving a truck, when his job is in marketing.  And totally ignored the fact that he has a farm with animals. 

Crazy.  I met a lady sort of like that at a McDonald's several weeks back.  I was putting my son in his car seat and she waited for the space that I was partially blocking with my body and the car door for a few seconds then starting honking at me to hurry up.  A-hole-ish enough already for not having a little patience, but here's the kicker:  The parking lot was almost entirely empty including the space immediately next to the one she wanted.  I was irritated enough at her attitude that I waited for her to park after I finished and I asked her why she just couldn't park in the next space, and her answer was, defiantly, "I want to park in this space."  Well then, there you go.  (I don't believe the lady in my story was driving a Prius, but I honestly don't remember for sure)

 

Side note:  I am totally on board with the "narrator" of the video who put the notes on the screen.  I used to think it was silly (and a little unfriendly to the environment) to ever use a drive through at a fast food place, or to sit in a car with it running.  Not anymore.  Having kids (especially sleeping ones) makes you appreciate exactly how much of a genius the guy who invented drive-throughs actually was.

 

EDIT:  One other comment on this crazy lady and how it pertains to Clambake's original hypothesis.  I would venture a guess that the percentage of Prius owner's that are PEOPLE LIKE THAT is miniscule ... a fraction of a fraction of a percent.  However, I would also venture to say that a very large percentage of PEOPLE LIKE THAT are Prius (or the like) owners.


Edited by Golfingdad - 11/20/12 at 5:31pm
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

I am trying to decide if this was staged or not. I mean who is running a camera in the parking lot? On the other hand I think I have met this lady....

 

It's not hard to just start recording on an iPhone these days.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

EDIT:  One other comment on this crazy lady and how it pertains to Clambake's original hypothesis.  I would venture a guess that the percentage of Prius owner's that are PEOPLE LIKE THAT is miniscule ... a fraction of a fraction of a percent.  However, I would also venture to say that a very large percentage of PEOPLE LIKE THAT are Prius (or the like) owners.

 

I probably only noticed she drove a Prius because of this thread. :)

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

It's not hard to just start recording on an iPhone these days.

Yeah, and I think it is becoming more and more common for people to start recording when some crazy person starts yelling or doing something out of the ordinary (jackasses be warned b2_tongue.gif).  For all we know, the lady was up banging on his window 30 seconds before... Then walked away mad... Then he grabbed his phone and started recording and opened up the door so he could see/hear her better, and she re-engaged in her tantrum - just like she did when on camera?

 

Notice how she engages - then walks away and re-engages.  Perhaps she threw some sort of tantrum before he even started recording?

post #42 of 63

It is though pretty hard to hold the phone pretty steady, keep the subject in the frame, and not have the subject comment on the fact that you are taping her.  This video is right at the edge where if you told me this was a film score project, I would believe you. And if you told me it was the real I would believe it also.

 

All that being said, it is funny video.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

It's not hard to just start recording on an iPhone these days.

 

post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

It is though pretty hard to hold the phone pretty steady

 

Did you watch the same video I did?

post #44 of 63

The video I watched had jitter but I would expect that from a camera on a tripod. They are in a vibrating truck after all. It didn't have any wild pans, times where the subject wasn't framed pretty well and all the other features of my home videos. I might also just suck at taking videos. b2_tongue.gif

 

I find it amazing the reaction prius's  and electric cars get.  If you don't want one, ignore them for the next 15 years. No one will care. Just think every gallon of gas they don't burn, is one more for your car. The Tesla complaints the worst. Someone actually made a electrical car that is right at the edge of practicality (the 300mi range is good enough for most peoples 99% use but that model is insanely expensive) and what most people end up complaining about is that you can't buy a 60k (price out an eClass or a 5 series for what a gas version would cost) car for 20k.  And yes even if you only charge you car from a coal power plant , the ev comes out ahead of most cars (prius and the like do better,  sub 30mpg cars do worse. The exact number depends a bit on the study and how you value different types of pollution)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Did you watch the same video I did?

post #45 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

The video I watched had jitter but I would expect that from a camera on a tripod. They are in a vibrating truck after all. It didn't have any wild pans, times where the subject wasn't framed pretty well and all the other features of my home videos. I might also just suck at taking videos. b2_tongue.gif

 

You might. That video seemed shaky to me.

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

I find it amazing the reaction prius's  and electric cars get.  If you don't want one, ignore them for the next 15 years. No one will care. Just think every gallon of gas they don't burn, is one more for your car. The Tesla complaints the worst. Someone actually made a electrical car that is right at the edge of practicality (the 300mi range is good enough for most peoples 99% use but that model is insanely expensive) and what most people end up complaining about is that you can't buy a 60k (price out an eClass or a 5 series for what a gas version would cost) car for 20k.  And yes even if you only charge you car from a coal power plant , the ev comes out ahead of most cars (prius and the like do better,  sub 30mpg cars do worse. The exact number depends a bit on the study and how you value different types of pollution)

 

We have some bad winters. Electric cars don't do well in the cold and snow and slush.

 

I take trips over 250 miles somewhat often. Don't want to have to worry about where I can "charge up" or stop to charge up.

 

I transport a lot of stuff and need a lot of space in my car. A Prius doesn't have much space.

 

Just sayin' - there are still reasons to want a standard automobile. Not because it's gas, but because thus far electric cars haven't been made to fill those holes yet. Soon. Or eventually...

post #46 of 63

Someone with a diesal truck needs to take a video from the seat with a tripod so we can see what the baseline is.

 

I am not saying electric car or Prius's are for you or anyone in particular. Personally I think electric cars are still 10 years (one more doubling of capacity and 1 or 2 more halvings of cost) away from making sense for a huge chunk of people.   What I am saying is I don't get why people feel threatened by them. If it doesn't fit your needs move on. And be glad that someone else is buying them since by lowering oil consumption, they are lowering your gas prices.  Picking between a camry and a prius doesn't affect me one bit.  Both are about the same size and will have about the same result when you crash into me.  And neither one is going to win a beauty award. Are prius owners smug about their fuel efficienes? Yep. But so is the 911 guy about his accelleration and handling, the f150 guy about his towing, the minivan guy about his people carrying, and so on. Maybe it is that I am just old enough to remember people complaining about various models through the years. In the 70s it was stationwagon drivers, in the 80s it was the minivan mom, the 90s had the SUVs, and the 00's have the prius.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

You might. That video seemed shaky to me.

 


 

 

We have some bad winters. Electric cars don't do well in the cold and snow and slush.

 

I take trips over 250 miles somewhat often. Don't want to have to worry about where I can "charge up" or stop to charge up.

 

I transport a lot of stuff and need a lot of space in my car. A Prius doesn't have much space.

 

Just sayin' - there are still reasons to want a standard automobile. Not because it's gas, but because thus far electric cars haven't been made to fill those holes yet. Soon. Or eventually...

post #47 of 63

I'm a moderately sensitive new age guy, but when my wife wanted a "fun car" I told her to get a V8 now, while you can still buy one. She'll always have the memories in 15 years or so when her daily driver sounds like a golf cart.

 

c2_beer.gif

post #48 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

I am not saying electric car or Prius's are for you or anyone in particular. Personally I think electric cars are still 10 years (one more doubling of capacity and 1 or 2 more halvings of cost) away from making sense for a huge chunk of people.   What I am saying is I don't get why people feel threatened by them. If it doesn't fit your needs move on. And be glad that someone else is buying them since by lowering oil consumption, they are lowering your gas prices.  Picking between a camry and a prius doesn't affect me one bit.  Both are about the same size and will have about the same result when you crash into me.  And neither one is going to win a beauty award. Are prius owners smug about their fuel efficienes? Yep. But so is the 911 guy about his accelleration and handling, the f150 guy about his towing, the minivan guy about his people carrying, and so on. Maybe it is that I am just old enough to remember people complaining about various models through the years. In the 70s it was stationwagon drivers, in the 80s it was the minivan mom, the 90s had the SUVs, and the 00's have the prius.

 

Uhmmmm... That's quite a leap you're making.

post #49 of 63

Saw this article in the SF Chronicle website and thought about this thread. Might give a reason why Prius (Prii?) drivers drive the way they do but doesn't give them a reason to clog up the fast lane. Pretty much says driving the Prius is like a "game" on the road, but instead of trying to get the highest score, you're trying to get the highest fuel efficiency. 

 

Why Prius owners drive like that

post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

Saw this article in the SF Chronicle website and thought about this thread. Might give a reason why Prius (Prii?) drivers drive the way they do but doesn't give them a reason to clog up the fast lane. Pretty much says driving the Prius is like a "game" on the road, but instead of trying to get the highest score, you're trying to get the highest fuel efficiency. 

Why Prius owners drive like that

Yes, I do the same thing in my Leaf. I am always trying to max out my miles/kWh. It is like a drug you get hooked trying to get a good number.
post #51 of 63

My daily driver as they used to say in the old days is triple BLACK.................and it has a HEMI.  

 

 

Nuff said...............

post #52 of 63

Lady has a point though. What is the idea behind driving a 2 ton vehicle. 

post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post

Lady has a point though. What is the idea behind driving a 2 ton vehicle. 

Because this is a country where you can make choices. Screw the PC crowd.

Why do people insist on gas lawn mowers? 'Cause they want to!................ Who needs a Harley? Anyone who wants one. Who needs a boat? Why own an airplane? etc. etc. etc.

I drive a 2012 Mustang GT with 412 H.P. It's my choice, my gas costs.

I had a V12 Mercedes sedan that weighed 5400lbs. Why? 'Cause I could.

post #54 of 63

Oh, and by the way, my favorite guy was the character Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddy Shack".............A real guy everyone would like to be. HA!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Grill Room
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › The Grill Room › I hate Priuses, or Prii, or whatever....