or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Getting a lower ball flight?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Getting a lower ball flight? - Page 2

post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchGolf2010 View Post

If you're hitting everything too high, it is more than likely a swing issue.  It is extremely difficult to add 6* of loft to a driver, no matter the shaft.  I suspect you're a scooper and need to learn to compress the ball more.  You can confirm this suspicion by seeing an instructor with a trackman, and posting your numbers.  I would be interested to see your angle of attack with the driver, and with your other clubs. 

 

A driver could be fit to you to give you a great ballflight, but I still suspect that root cause is in your impact position.

 

Yeah I think you're right on Liam.  I would suggest these set-up adjustments to reduce your driver angle of attack or even make it positive.  Ball off the left toe as well.

 

 

1000

post #20 of 28

Ball position has little to do with attack angle. Just because his ball is extremely forward in his stance doesn't necessarily mean he 'hitting up'...i'd argue the opposite. He launches the ball extremely high with a steep decent and no roll out. That means there's a tremendous amount of backspin on the ball. I've played the ball of my big toe and still registered 2* down attack angles. Despite what the OEM shaft manufactureres claim, there's no such thing as a high launching-low spin shaft.

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarNinja View Post

Ball position has little to do with attack angle. Just because his ball is extremely forward in his stance doesn't necessarily mean he 'hitting up'...i'd argue the opposite. He launches the ball extremely high with a steep decent and no roll out. That means there's a tremendous amount of backspin on the ball. I've played the ball of my big toe and still registered 2* down attack angles. Despite what the OEM shaft manufactureres claim, there's no such thing as a high launching-low spin shaft.

 

If you played the ball further back and didn't make any other adjustments, don't you think your decent would increase?  Yes playing the ball forward doesn't guarantee a positive aoa but it will help reduce it, which is what I said in my last post.

post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarNinja View Post

Ball position has little to do with attack angle. Just because his ball is extremely forward in his stance doesn't necessarily mean he 'hitting up'...i'd argue the opposite. He launches the ball extremely high with a steep decent and no roll out. That means there's a tremendous amount of backspin on the ball. I've played the ball of my big toe and still registered 2* down attack angles. Despite what the OEM shaft manufactureres claim, there's no such thing as a high launching-low spin shaft.

 

I disagree with the bold part.

 

Also, a player not getting roll-out with his drives has way, WAY more to do with the landing angle and the firmness/softness of the fairways than the amount of backspin. By the end of the flight most drives have lost a good bit of their backspin - the ones that had more backspin and launch higher run out of even more than the ones launched lower with a little less.

post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Also, a player not getting roll-out with his drives has way, WAY more to do with the landing angle and the firmness/softness of the fairways than the amount of backspin. 

 

That's a great point.

post #24 of 28

Let me re-phrase that, I'm stating that playing the ball forward does not guarantee a positive attack angle into his drives. Yes, position helps get you there, but doesn't mean he's hitting up on it.

Secondly I have  to disagree with you on landing angle. Landing angle is directly related to the amount of backspin on the ball. Increasing backspin by 1000RPM's increases the landing angle by 7* and decreases it by 7* with 1000RPM reduction of spin (as per TrackMan). I'm assuming the OP's statement was a general characteristic of his ballflight in most conditions, regardless of fairways.

Of course, I agree that a firmer fairway will allow for more roll out, but are you saying that a steeper approach/landing angle results in more ball release?

post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarNinja View Post

Let me re-phrase that, I'm stating that playing the ball forward does not guarantee a positive attack angle into his drives.

 

That's very different than what you said before.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarNinja View Post

Secondly I have  to disagree with you on landing angle. Landing angle is directly related to the amount of backspin on the ball.

 

No, it isn't. Not with a driver or any other club.

 

If he had excessive backspin he'd likely see ballooning, and he didn't describe any of that, did he? It's difficult to get 16° launch without a positive angle of attack with the driver.

post #26 of 28

Maybe you're right, but that's why I stated in my original post we'd have to see more data to know if it's his swing or equipment. I think MVVAC thought I was commenting on his statments regarding working on swing fixes to increase attack angle, which I wasn't. I forgot to reply, but I was actually referring to DerekBC who stated that backspin is not the issue because of ball position. That is a false statement. We can't just assume that he has a positive attack because the ball is forward in his stance. I may have phrased it incorrectly. If backspin doesn't correlate to landing angle, what do you belive does then? Interesting debate:)

post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarNinja View Post

I think MVVAC thought I was commenting on his statments regarding working on swing fixes to increase attack angle, which I wasn't. I forgot to reply, but I was actually referring to DerekBC who stated that backspin is not the issue because of ball position. That is a false statement. 

 

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying, good discussion a1_smile.gif

post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 

I hit my driver and woods further up in my stance, because I was taught to roll my wrists as a way of getting the club face square.
I dont know if it is laziness or just quirky tempo, but I get there late. Therefore if I tee up the ball in the middle of my stance I shank it. for some reason when I set up closer to my toe I can drive the ball straighter.
This just may be a mechanism for avoiding the slice that I have developed over the last few years.

 

My problem with the game is I start playing in april, my league starts in mid april. I have a few weeks to practice and I get to range a few times during my 1st few weeks of league play.

After that I play for 18 weeks and the dilema is how to change my game while still trying to compete.


My wife did purchase me 5 lessons from the local golf shop, who is a PGA pro.

I have spoke to him recently while wandering the golf shop and we discussed my hitting it WAY too high. We are going to work on that, as well as my aim.

 

My game is quirky and I have habits.

 

But I have appreciated all the feedback

Thank you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Getting a lower ball flight?