or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that... - Page 7

post #109 of 214
A playoff of 8 or 16 teams would not solve all of the debates, but it is an improvement. The "best" team does not always emerge the champion in any sport, but they are accepted as such because they won a series of games to get there. The bowl season is such a joke now and has been for awhile that once the conference championships are over I'm generally done being interested on college football. Even as a ND fan, I'd of course love to see them win the Championship game, but that would not end the debate as people will say other teams should have been there. If you have not read Death to the BCS, it's a great read and very aggravating for those who love college football, but hate the bowl system. Regardless, Go Irish!
post #110 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmike27 View Post

A playoff of 8 or 16 teams would not solve all of the debates, but it is an improvement. The "best" team does not always emerge the champion in any sport, but they are accepted as such because they won a series of games to get there. The bowl season is such a joke now and has been for awhile that once the conference championships are over I'm generally done being interested on college football. Even as a ND fan, I'd of course love to see them win the Championship game, but that would not end the debate as people will say other teams should have been there. If you have not read Death to the BCS, it's a great read and very aggravating for those who love college football, but hate the bowl system. Regardless, Go Irish!
Umm, no. At least this year, not many people will dispute the validity of an irish championship seeing as how theyd be the only (non sanctioned) undefeated team out there. Now if bama wins then you got something there. Because you're potentially going to have a few legit one loss teams. Of course my argument is that that can and will happen even with a playoff too.
post #111 of 214

ND very over rated got by on some very questionables call wont join a league Bama getting ready to spank the little guy in the funny green suit. To me the championship game this year was the SEC chapionship game. And no I am not an SEC fan I follow the Big 12. I can run 5 teams at you right now that will beat ND

1 - Bama

2 - Ga Dawgs

3 - Tx A&M and I am an AGGIE hater!

4 - LSU

5 - Florida

6 - Stanford - without the blown call STanford in your house would have beat you.

post #112 of 214
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by slufoot7 View Post

ND very over rated got by on some very questionables call wont join a league Bama getting ready to spank the little guy in the funny green suit. To me the championship game this year was the SEC chapionship game. And no I am not an SEC fan I follow the Big 12. I can run 5 teams at you right now that will beat ND

1 - Bama

2 - Ga Dawgs

3 - Tx A&M and I am an AGGIE hater!

4 - LSU

5 - Florida

6 - Stanford - without the blown call STanford in your house would have beat you.

I'd say each of those 6 teams would have a chance to beat ND... But think ND could hang with any of them... And perhaps beat all of them.  ND isn't a slouch.  Brian Kelly is a solid coach, and their QB Golson is getting better and better... Oh, and they have arguably one of the best defensive fronts in the country.

 

Bama vs. ND is going to be a solid BCS championship game.  I'm still sad that tOSU is banned from a bowl game.  Would've been awesome to see two undefeated teams go for the title.  Especially ND vs tOSU... That would've been epic.

post #113 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by slufoot7 View Post

ND very over rated got by on some very questionables call wont join a league Bama getting ready to spank the little guy in the funny green suit. To me the championship game this year was the SEC chapionship game. And no I am not an SEC fan I follow the Big 12. I can run 5 teams at you right now that will beat ND

1 - Bama

2 - Ga Dawgs

3 - Tx A&M and I am an AGGIE hater!

4 - LSU

5 - Florida

6 - Stanford - without the blown call STanford in your house would have beat you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I'd say each of those 6 teams would have a chance to beat ND... But think ND could hang with any of them... And perhaps beat all of them.  ND isn't a slouch.  Brian Kelly is a solid coach, and their QB Golson is getting better and better... Oh, and they have arguably one of the best defensive fronts in the country.

 

Bama vs. ND is going to be a solid BCS championship game.  I'm still sad that tOSU is banned from a bowl game.  Would've been awesome to see two undefeated teams go for the title.  Especially ND vs tOSU... That would've been epic.

That list is silly because you could take any one of the 6 on the list and put them up at the top, then put Notre Dame in their spot on the list and proclaim the same thing.  There are at least 7 really good teams out there.  (I would also add Kansas State and Oregon to that list, but whatever.)

 

Fact is, one of the teams already had their chance and failed.  And one more will have their chance in a couple of weeks.  So no need to stress over it.  We'll know soon enough.

post #114 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by bksportsblog View Post

 

I agree with you regarding the other 1 loss teams.  I mean, who is to say that Alabama's loss is "better" than Oregon's or Kansas State's??  Granted, I watched a lot of football, and I have to say that Alabama is great football team, and very well could beat both K-State and Oregon.....but wouldn't it be nice to find out??

 

 

bk

 

Alabama's one loss is better than Kansas State's because the Wildcats lost to an unranked Baylor team with a sieve for a defense that had given up 70 to a mediocre West Virginia team.

 

The Oregon loss to Stanford is probably a wash, but the fact that the Ducks routinely get skunked by the one team a year that they play who actually has a pulse on defense.  This season it was Stanford.  Last year it was LSU.  The year before that, it was a mediocre - by SEC standards - Auburn defense in the BCSCG. 

 

As for "finding out", it won't be long until the top four get to battle it out.  I don't want to see it expand beyond that, but I know that it will.  Hopefully it never gets beyond eight, but I have a feeling it will be 16.  To me, that's just too many.

post #115 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwdial View Post

 

Alabama's one loss is better than Kansas State's because the Wildcats lost to an unranked Baylor team with a sieve for a defense that had given up 70 to a mediocre West Virginia team.

 

The Oregon loss to Stanford is probably a wash, but the fact that the Ducks routinely get skunked by the one team a year that they play who actually has a pulse on defense.  This season it was Stanford.  Last year it was LSU.  The year before that, it was a mediocre - by SEC standards - Auburn defense in the BCSCG. 

 

As for "finding out", it won't be long until the top four get to battle it out.  I don't want to see it expand beyond that, but I know that it will.  Hopefully it never gets beyond eight, but I have a feeling it will be 16.  To me, that's just too many.

 

I think you're right because 4 is good and 8 is ok but you will still have the same problem with 1 or 2 loss teams saying the should be in the playoff. If they go to 16 you have a definitive cut off but it will also lead to some bad early round match ups. It would also bring an end to conference championships because of time and the NCAA is not going to allow teams to have 17 game schedules. I mean there is no way to ever stop the complaining of left out teams so I would think that 8 would be a good number and not be a logistical nightmare.

post #116 of 214

Fiesta Bowl is tonight!  Or as it is otherwise known ... the "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda National Championship Game" had it not been for those meddling kids!  (AKA Stanford and Baylor)

 

Should hopefully be a good one.

 

P.S.  The Big East is a joke and the SEC is all that and 20 bags of potato chips! (Anybody care for a Bowl of Sugar???) e2_whistling.gif

post #117 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Fiesta Bowl is tonight!  Or as it is otherwise known ... the "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda National Championship Game" had it not been for those meddling kids!  (AKA Stanford and Baylor)

 

Should hopefully be a good one.

 

P.S.  The Big East is a joke and the SEC is all that and 20 bags of potato chips! (Anybody care for a Bowl of Sugar???) e2_whistling.gif

Say what you want about the big east but for some weird reason come bowl time that conference always steps up. Shame it won't be around in 2 years...

post #118 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubchamp View Post

Say what you want about the big east but for some weird reason come bowl time that conference always steps up. Shame it won't be around in 2 years...

The caveat: That postseason success is due in part to a relatively lightweight bowl schedule. That 16-6 mark includes an 8-0 record in bowl games against teams from outside the six major conferences. The Big East has played 36.3 percent of its bowl games in the past four seasons against teams from the MAC or Conference USA 

 

from (http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/12/15/conference-best-bowl-record-during-bcs-era-big-east)

 

OK this quote is from 2010 - but it's still true

 

Good riddance to the big least - they wont be missed here

post #119 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

The caveat: That postseason success is due in part to a relatively lightweight bowl schedule. That 16-6 mark includes an 8-0 record in bowl games against teams from outside the six major conferences. The Big East has played 36.3 percent of its bowl games in the past four seasons against teams from the MAC or Conference USA 

 

from (http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/12/15/conference-best-bowl-record-during-bcs-era-big-east)

 

OK this quote is from 2010 - but it's still true

 

Good riddance to the big least - they wont be missed here

I wasn't really speaking to the overall performance of the conferences ... just trying to stir the pot a little in light of the thorough beat-down Louisville put on Florida.c2_beer.gif

post #120 of 214
here we go!!!
post #121 of 214

Looks as if Notre Dame brought the luck of the Irish to ....

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Alabama!

post #122 of 214
and their ability to tackle
post #123 of 214

After all the debates, and all the complaining about the BCS, it certainly looked like there was a clear #1 this year.  I would have liked to have seen Oregon's offense against Alabama's defense. At least it would have been interesting.

post #124 of 214

Certainly the right teams made it this year.  Too bad ND couldn't put up a better fight, they were big overachievers this year.  I think the offensive game plan, and Kelly's interview after the first half showed that he never really thought they could hang with Alabama.  

 

No reason to think Oregon would have been any better though.  They only time they played a really good defense they scored just 14 points and lost.  Alabama's D is better than Stanford.  And they never would have stopped Alabama's running game. 

post #125 of 214

Actually the "best" team didn't make it at all. Ohio State. Only team to finish the season undefeated.

post #126 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Actually the "best" team didn't make it at all. Ohio State. Only team to finish the season undefeated.

No Bowl Game ... so best? Can't really say. You can say, but you can't really ... say.

 

But undefeated does not translate to the best - see Notre Dame. 12-0, and then 12-1

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
  • If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.