or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that... - Page 8

post #127 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

Certainly the right teams made it this year.  Too bad ND couldn't put up a better fight, they were big overachievers this year.  I think the offensive game plan, and Kelly's interview after the first half showed that he never really thought they could hang with Alabama.  

 

No reason to think Oregon would have been any better though.  They only time they played a really good defense they scored just 14 points and lost.  Alabama's D is better than Stanford.  And they never would have stopped Alabama's running game. 


I thought Kansas State was considered a sound football team, and they couldn't stop Oregon. You are probably right that Alabama would have beaten anyone last night, but Notre Dame's vaunted defense (Te'o for Heisman? Really?) never showed up.

post #128 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post


I thought Kansas State was considered a sound football team, and they couldn't stop Oregon. You are probably right that Alabama would have beaten anyone last night, but Notre Dame's vaunted defense (Te'o for Heisman? Really?) never showed up.

Kansas State was coached up.

 

But typically REALLY BIG and FAST talent beats smaller talent.

 

But I think your point is Alabama would have beaten anyone with a month of preparation - I agree. Even the Aggies would have had a tough time staying with 'Bama after you give Saban a month to prepare.

post #129 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Kansas State was coached up.

 

But typically REALLY BIG and FAST talent beats smaller talent.

 

But I think your point is Alabama would have beaten anyone with a month of preparation - I agree. Even the Aggies would have had a tough time staying with 'Bama after you give Saban a month to prepare.


Yeah. What sets Alabama apart now is not only their obvious overload of talent, but now they have an offensive coordinator who actually thinks passing is a good thing. I thought Nussmeier's play calling was excellent. Balanced between running and passing, and had ND bamboozled all night.

post #130 of 214

Alabama probably would have beaten anyone the way they played last night.  ND's defense wasn't a joke, they gave up 10.3 points per game all year.  Alabama's offensive line is just too good. 

 

 

I was shocked by the missed tackles, though.  Te'o missed 2 tackles all season.  That defense simply didn't miss tackles all year.  Then last night they would be in position, but didn't get it done.  I don't know if they were too high on emotions or what but it was awful.

post #131 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post


Yeah. What sets Alabama apart now is not only their obvious overload of talent, but now they have an offensive coordinator who actually thinks passing is a good thing. I thought Nussmeier's play calling was excellent. Balanced between running and passing, and had ND bamboozled all night.

 

 

Look at their running backs over the past few years.  Ingram/Richardson, Richardson/Lacy, Lacy/Yeldon, Yeldon/????  Saban has an amazing system and pipeline right now.

post #132 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

Alabama probably would have beaten anyone the way they played last night.  ND's defense wasn't a joke, they gave up 10.3 points per game all year.  Alabama's offensive line is just too good. 

 

 

I was shocked by the missed tackles, though.  Te'o missed 2 tackles all season.  That defense simply didn't miss tackles all year.  Then last night they would be in position, but didn't get it done.  I don't know if they were too high on emotions or what but it was awful.

I was telling someone that the Bowl Season is "Silly Season." It is a mythical championship game.

 

Name any other sport where teams take off for 5 weeks in between games for the championship. It is silly.

 

Some teams are hurt worse than others by a layoff.

 

BIG and FAST with GREAT talent, great coaching, and Time will always win over NOT As big and fast with fine talent and good coaching. The team that is not as talented relies more on teamwork and experience. WIth 5 weeks spacing, you've taken out a variable that ND needed to compete on that field.

post #133 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

I was telling someone that the Bowl Season is "Silly Season." It is a mythical championship game.

 

Name any other sport where teams take off for 5 weeks in between games for the championship. It is silly.

NASCAR.

 

I'm only being between 10-13.25% serious here because it's not really a championship ... However, they do sometimes refer to the Daytona 500 as the "Super Bowl" of racing, and that is the first race of the season after something like 4 months off. c2_beer.gif

 

But I agree with you ... it is odd that they have such a gap.  I would prefer they streamline everything ... push the start of the season back a couple of week, and push the bowl season up a couple of weeks such that, just like old times, it all ends on the 1st.

 

I'm a big fan, and I actually lose a lot of interest during the layoff.

post #134 of 214

I was more disappointed in ND's offensive game plan.  Texas A&M beat them with no huddle, quick pass, play-action offense.  ND had that poor young QB doing 7 step drops and running for his life.  Bad strategy.  Attack the weakness, not the strength.  And on 3rd and 5, don't go for 40 yard passes.   Dumb.

post #135 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

I was more disappointed in ND's offensive game plan.  Texas A&M beat them with no huddle, quick pass, play-action offense.  ND had that poor young QB doing 7 step drops and running for his life.  Bad strategy.  Attack the weakness, not the strength.  And on 3rd and 5, don't go for 40 yard passes.   Dumb.

 

And who decided to attack the all-american corner instead of the other guys who are generally considered to be the weak spots?

post #136 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

No Bowl Game ... so best? Can't really say. You can say, but you can't really ... say.

 

But undefeated does not translate to the best - see Notre Dame. 12-0, and then 12-1

 

Thus no longer undefeated. OSU is. The zero in the loss column don't lie.

post #137 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

 

Thus no longer undefeated. OSU is. The zero in the loss column don't lie.

They cheated and created an atmosphere of thugs ... and that's no lie.

 

The main point is - undefeated does not mean the best.

 

And OSU was not in the running for the best.

post #138 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

No Bowl Game ... so best? Can't really say. You can say, but you can't really ... say.

 

But undefeated does not translate to the best - see Notre Dame. 12-0, and then 12-1

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Thus no longer undefeated. OSU is. The zero in the loss column don't lie.

You don't really believe that?!?!  There are high schools and middle schools out there with zeroes in the loss column too, are they better than Alabama?  I'm not saying that OSU couldn't beat some middle schools, just saying that not all zeroes in the loss column are equal, and in fact, they sometimes do lie.  Case in point:  as Des correctly points out ... ND

 

They were on exactly equal footing with ND until ND played in a bowl game that OSU conveniently didn't have to do.  And, who here besides total OSU homers (that means you and Beach don't get a vote! ;)) doesn't think that they would have gotten destroyed by Alabama (or even Oregon since they might not have finished in the top 2 anyway)?  (The Big 10 was horrible this year)

 

Orrrrrrrrrrr, are you making the argument that Alabama is irrelevant because it would have been OSU and ND in the championship as the only 2 remaining unbeatens?  That probably would have been a much closer game. :)

post #139 of 214

Playoff bracket for 2014 college football playoff released:

 

 

1000

post #140 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

Playoff bracket for 2014 college football playoff released:

 

 

1000

LOL, hard to argue with that, unfortunately for those of us not in SEC country.  But when I saw the teaser of your post, I didn't know it was a joke, and expected something about this:

 

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls12/story/_/id/8821288/att-cotton-bowl-host-first-playoff-title-game-sources-said

post #141 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

You don't really believe that?!?!  There are high schools and middle schools out there with zeroes in the loss column too, are they better than Alabama?  I'm not saying that OSU couldn't beat some middle schools, just saying that not all zeroes in the loss column are equal, and in fact, they sometimes do lie.  Case in point:  as Des correctly points out ... ND

 

They were on exactly equal footing with ND until ND played in a bowl game that OSU conveniently didn't have to do.  And, who here besides total OSU homers (that means you and Beach don't get a vote! ;)) doesn't think that they would have gotten destroyed by Alabama (or even Oregon since they might not have finished in the top 2 anyway)?  (The Big 10 was horrible this year)

 

Orrrrrrrrrrr, are you making the argument that Alabama is irrelevant because it would have been OSU and ND in the championship as the only 2 remaining unbeatens?  That probably would have been a much closer game. :)

 

Calm down. Have some dip.

 

I'm just saying only one major college team finished the season undefeated. One.

 

I'm sure if OSU played Bama the Tide would roll over them. Bama is the #1 team. OSU is the only undefeated team. Two facts.

post #142 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

 

Calm down. Have some dip.

 

I'm just saying only one major college team finished the season undefeated. One.

 

I'm sure if OSU played Bama the Tide would roll over them. Bama is the #1 team. OSU is the only undefeated team. Two facts.

 

 

To be fair, you did start with...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Actually the "best" team didn't make it at all. Ohio State. Only team to finish the season undefeated.

post #143 of 214

They are the best team...in terms of record.

 

And by the way, I'm not an Ohio State homer. I went to Kent State.

post #144 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

They are the best team...in terms of record.

 

That's not how you wrote it or how it's understood.

 

And you know that.

 

Wins and losses are not all equal.

 

You know that too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
  • If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.