or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that... - Page 9

post #145 of 214

I'm not sure any non-tOSU fan would argue that they are one of the two best teams this year. 

post #146 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Calm down. Have some dip.

 

I'm just saying only one major college team finished the season undefeated. One.

 

I'm sure if OSU played Bama the Tide would roll over them. Bama is the #1 team. OSU is the only undefeated team. Two facts.

First of all, no thank you.  Last time I dipped was also the first (high school baseball team) and I just about threw up.  (Probably because I had braces and the stuff stayed stuck in my teeth al day ... yes, I am an idiot)

 

Secondly, that's the frustrating part of the internet.  I went back and read what I wrote and I guess it could be assumed that I'm fired up, but I'm not.  Maybe I put one too many exclamations in the first sentence. :)  Really just having a little fun here.

 

If you must know, I was rooting for ND last night for two reasons and two reasons only.  So I could bump a quote (pretty sure it was yours!) from when this thread started telling everybody to relax and let the season play out AND to make Beach admit that his thread is titled wrong.  ;)  Of all years where complaints might be highest from left out teams, pretty sure ND being the only non-sanctioned undefeated at the end of it all would have made this, of all years, one of the years least in need of a playoff.  Oh well, now we'll just have to wonder how Oregon would have fared in the next game ...

post #147 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

That's not how you wrote it or how it's understood.

 

And you know that.

 

Wins and losses are not all equal.

 

You know that too.

 

You seem to know what I'm thinking. Guess what I'm thinking right now. a3_biggrin.gif

 

Look, I am not saying OSU is the best team in the country (regardless of what I wrote or how people understood it...which I cannot control). Just saying, in the spirit of the topic of this thread of college football needing a playoff system, that there's only one undefeated team remaining. Which goes to show how much a playoff system is needed.

 

There's no doubt in my mind that had OSU played Bama last night they would have been as embarrassing as ND was. Bama's the best team in the country.

 

But OSU is the only undefeated team.

post #148 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

There's no doubt in my mind that had OSU played Bama last night they would have been as embarrassing as ND was. Bama's the best team in the country.

 

But OSU is the only undefeated team.

 

I still don't see your point. On one hand, you're saying that Bama is the best team in the country and that OSU would have been curb-stomped like ND was. On the other hand, you're saying that OSU is the only undefeated team, as if that somehow means they are a better team. 

post #149 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

 

Just saying, in the spirit of the topic of this thread of college football needing a playoff system, that there's only one undefeated team remaining. Which goes to show how much a playoff system is needed.

 

 

 

OSU's undefeated season does not go to show how mucha  playoff is needed.  OSU wasn't in the game because they're ineligible.  If there was a playoff, Bama would have run over everybody and won, and OSU would still be undefeated.

post #150 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Just saying, in the spirit of the topic of this thread of college football needing a playoff system, that there's only one undefeated team remaining. Which goes to show how much a playoff system is needed.

This would only make sense if your former neighbors were excluded on merit, but they weren't.  They were busted getting free tattoos, and even if there was a 120 team playoff this year, they wouldn't have made it.

post #151 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

I still don't see your point. On one hand, you're saying that Bama is the best team in the country and that OSU would have been curb-stomped like ND was. On the other hand, you're saying that OSU is the only undefeated team, as if that somehow means they are a better team. 

 

No. It makes them the only undefeated team. 

 

Is there something about facts that bother you?

post #152 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

 

No. It makes them the only undefeated team. 

 

Is there something about facts that bother you?

 

I know it makes them the only undefeated team. I understand that concept. 

 

I'm just trying to figure out why you keep repeating it. Do you have a point, or are you just belching facts? 

post #153 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

No. It makes them the only undefeated team. 

 

Is there something about facts that bother you?

Why do you get so defensive when people point out you made a mistake?  Nobody is putting words into your mouth.  You said OSU was the best team, and now you keep trying to twist your own words to say that you didn't say that.

 

Say you were joking, or stand by it and say you really believe that they are the best, but don't say you didn't say it.

 

In the words of the guys on ESPN's pre-game show:  C'mon man!!! c2_beer.gif

post #154 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

 

I'm just trying to figure out why you keep repeating it. Do you have a point, or are you just belching facts? 


he has points, but they're bad.  so he disclaims every having made them and falls back on this. 

post #155 of 214

Also, I should use more of these things like golfing dad so its clear that i am also not fired up or anything, just enjoying the banter as a distraction from work.  a1_smile.gifa2_wink.gifc2_beer.gife1_poo.gif

post #156 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Why do you get so defensive when people point out you made a mistake?  Nobody is putting words into your mouth.  You said OSU was the best team, and now you keep trying to twist your own words to say that you didn't say that.

 

Say you were joking, or stand by it and say you really believe that they are the best, but don't say you didn't say it.

 

In the words of the guys on ESPN's pre-game show:  C'mon man!!! c2_beer.gif

 

I didn't make a mistake, and I'm not back-pedaling.

 

I said OSU was the "best" team - I trust you noticed the quote marks. Now, before iacas tells me he knows what I meant, I will tell you what I meant.

 

The quotation marks imply based on record, they were the best team. And they are, based on record. That's why I put it in quotes - I wasn't saying unequivocally OSU is the best team. The quotes imply a caveat. And that caveat is, they were undefeated.

 

But record doesn't determine the nat champs. The BCS 1v2 system does. That system crowned Bama the champs. So they earned it.

post #157 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

Also, I should use more of these things like golfing dad so its clear that i am also not fired up or anything, just enjoying the banter as a distraction from work.  a1_smile.gifa2_wink.gifc2_beer.gife1_poo.gif

How immature am I because I giggle looking at the poop?  Still not as good as ... c5_banana.gif

post #158 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

 

I didn't make a mistake, and I'm not back-pedaling.

 

I said OSU was the "best" team - I trust you noticed the quote marks. Now, before iacas tells me he knows what I meant, I will tell you what I meant.

 

The quotation marks imply based on record, they were the best team. And they are, based on record. That's why I put it in quotes - I wasn't saying unequivocally OSU is the best team. The quotes imply a caveat. And that caveat is, they were undefeated.

 

But record doesn't determine the nat champs. The BCS 1v2 system does. That system crowned Bama the champs. So they earned it.

Let's say that the best teams played a 13 game schedule.

 

OSU is not on the list.

post #159 of 214

Now that all the OSU nonsense is (hopefully) over, I'll get back to the OP.

 

It seems like every year is "the year" that we need a playoff. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I don't think a 4 or even 8 team playoff is going to make people as happy as they think it will. For example, if we had a 4 team playoff this year, the four teams in (based on BCS rankings) would have been Notre Dame, Bama, Florida, and Oregon. Kansas State would have pitched a fit because two SEC teams got in and they didn't, Stanford would complain because they beat Oregon and might have beaten ND, etc.

 

Even if there was an 8 team playoff, there would be teams upset that they didn't get in. Top 8 in the BCS were: 1) Notre Dame 2) Bama 3) Florida 4) Oregon 5) Kansas State 6) Stanford 7) Georgia and 8) LSU. There would be at least 3 teams that would have a good argument as to why they should have been in the top 8 instead of one that was. For example, A&M only lost to two teams that were in the top 8, and beat Bama in T-town, while Stanford lost to Washington.

 

See where I'm going with this? I'm not saying the BCS is a good system; it's not. But I'm also not sure a 4 or 8 team playoff will have the impact that many want.

post #160 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

Now that all the OSU nonsense is (hopefully) over, I'll get back to the OP.

 

It seems like every year is "the year" that we need a playoff. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I don't think a 4 or even 8 team playoff is going to make people as happy as they think it will. For example, if we had a 4 team playoff this year, the four teams in (based on BCS rankings) would have been Notre Dame, Bama, Florida, and Oregon. Kansas State would have pitched a fit because two SEC teams got in and they didn't, Stanford would complain because they beat Oregon and might have beaten ND, etc.

 

Even if there was an 8 team playoff, there would be teams upset that they didn't get in. Top 8 in the BCS were: 1) Notre Dame 2) Bama 3) Florida 4) Oregon 5) Kansas State 6) Stanford 7) Georgia and 8) LSU. There would be at least 3 teams that would have a good argument as to why they should have been in the top 8 instead of one that was. For example, A&M only lost to two teams that were in the top 8, and beat Bama in T-town, while Stanford lost to Washington.

 

See where I'm going with this? I'm not saying the BCS is a good system; it's not. But I'm also not sure a 4 or 8 team playoff will have the impact that many want.

Sports talk radio will be hurt most by the playoff system - there will not be enough controversy to bitch about for 2 months

post #161 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by geauxforbroke View Post

It seems like every year is "the year" that we need a playoff. Maybe I'm a bit cynical, but I don't think a 4 or even 8 team playoff is going to make people as happy as they think it will. For example, if we had a 4 team playoff this year, the four teams in (based on BCS rankings) would have been Notre Dame, Bama, Florida, and Oregon. Kansas State would have pitched a fit because two SEC teams got in and they didn't, Stanford would complain because they beat Oregon and might have beaten ND, etc.

 

Even if there was an 8 team playoff, there would be teams upset that they didn't get in. Top 8 in the BCS were: 1) Notre Dame 2) Bama 3) Florida 4) Oregon 5) Kansas State 6) Stanford 7) Georgia and 8) LSU. There would be at least 3 teams that would have a good argument as to why they should have been in the top 8 instead of one that was. For example, A&M only lost to two teams that were in the top 8, and beat Bama in T-town, while Stanford lost to Washington.

 

See where I'm going with this? I'm not saying the BCS is a good system; it's not. But I'm also not sure a 4 or 8 team playoff will have the impact that many want.

I agree with (almost) everything you said.  Just not the bold part.

 

But the overall feeling of most people towards the BCS currently, I think, helps prove your point.  Everybody is all fired up about how great a playoff will be.  Well, several years ago when the BCS (or whatever it was first called) was developed and we were going to finally get to see a "true" championship game, everybody was fired up then too.  Now we all realize that (well accept for me d1_bigcry.gif  I'm lonely on this island) the "true" championship game isn't so true after all, so we want more.

 

Maybe if they could ever find a way to get to a 16 team playoff, everybody could be happy ... because I don't think anybody out there is worried that Utah State, Boise State, or Northwestern is getting "robbed" of their chance to play for the title.

post #162 of 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

You seem to know what I'm thinking. Guess what I'm thinking right now. a3_biggrin.gif

 

That the Browns stink and deep down you all wish you were Steelers fans. :) I know. I know. Too bad for you. :)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

But OSU is the only undefeated team.

 

That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

I said OSU was the "best" team - I trust you noticed the quote marks. Now, before iacas tells me he knows what I meant, I will tell you what I meant.

 

You said it that way knowing you were leaving yourself an "out" because you "put" a word in quotes, while you also knew people would read it literally and call you on the way your post read. You did it to stir the pot while leaving yourself an out.

 

Well, either that or you're a moron who couldn't possibly foresee how "Actually the "best" team didn't make it at all. Ohio State." would be taken the way people took it.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
  • If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › If there ever was a year where College football needed a playoff format, this could be that year... The BCS is broken.