or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My son has started playing!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My son has started playing! - Page 2

post #19 of 39

My Dad wanted me to take more of an interest when I was a teenager, but almost all the time I spent at a golf course was to caddie and make money. The game frustrated me, mainly because I never took lessons and wasn't very happy with the results when I did play. I finally took it up in my late twenties and had the privilege of playing many rounds with my Dad. Friday will be a bittersweet day because we played together every Friday after Thanksgiving for about twenty years.

My boy is kind of like me in this regard, more interest in caddying than playing, although he took more of an interest than I did as a teenager and plays more than I did. We will play together this Friday.

post #20 of 39

I hope my son takes up the game A LOT earlier than I did. He is only 2 now so I cant really say if he is even interested or not. I dont know if anyone remembers the game "gator golf" when we were younger but when I was a kid we loved this game! It was a putting game you could play inside your home where you would putt a plastic ball into an alligators mouth and he would "eat it" and flip it out over his head with his tail and then you would putt from that spot again. Long story short I bought my son one of these type of games but it was actually called "Mater Golf" (from the Cars movie) and its the same concept. My son isn't very interested instead its a cool new "garage" for his hotwheels... thats fine with me I guess.

post #21 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

My Dad wanted me to take more of an interest when I was a teenager, but almost all the time I spent at a golf course was to caddie and make money. The game frustrated me, mainly because I never took lessons and wasn't very happy with the results when I did play. I finally took it up in my late twenties and had the privilege of playing many rounds with my Dad. Friday will be a bittersweet day because we played together every Friday after Thanksgiving for about twenty years.

My boy is kind of like me in this regard, more interest in caddying than playing, although he took more of an interest than I did as a teenager and plays more than I did. We will play together this Friday.

^^^^^^ That's awesome.

post #22 of 39
As parents we can't choose what will interest our kids for the long term. I really would like my daughter(5) to take up golf as a life long passion. She has the kids set of clubs and has done group lessons, but I don't push. For activities we rotate between dance, tennis, soccer, and golf. I make an honest effort not to push her towards golf, because pushing towards can mean pushing away. I just want to make sure she is exposed and knows golf is out there waiting for her to fall in love with it.

I've read some articles from sports career "experts" and some say that for a youth that sports selections should not be isolated to a single sport until 16 or 17 years of age. So my daughter will continue to play a few different sports until I can better steer her towards golf.
post #23 of 39

My son never got into the game, he lives on the west coast now so we don't see each other that often. But my daughter fell in love with a great guy, they are married now, so I get out to play with my son-in-law. Different relationship but still great. Can't wait for the kids to have kids, I'll buy my grandson or daughter clubs and teach them the game when the time comes.

post #24 of 39

This thread brings back some fantastic memories, and I hope there will still be some to add to the memory banks for later years.

 

I didn't push my boys into the game, but when they were old enough they wanted to play anyway. We played most evenings through the summers, and quite often in competitions at weekends. We've had Dads and lads golf trip with other father and son combinations to all sorts of courses, including Carnoustie and St Andrews.

 

They've both long since flown the nest, and as a result we don't get the chance very often - maybe a couple of times a year. One only plays occasionally but the other one is a pro. This year I had the tremendous honour and pleasure of caddying for him in Final Qualifying for the British Open. I probably cost him a couple of shots, definitely one for a misread putt, but he said before and after that that those two rounds were for me whatever the outcome - sadly he didn't qualify.

 

They've both filled me with pride, from how they behave on the course to the many times I've applauded when they've been picking up prizes.

 

Fantastic memories!

post #25 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Feet View Post

This thread brings back some fantastic memories, and I hope there will still be some to add to the memory banks for later years.

 

I didn't push my boys into the game, but when they were old enough they wanted to play anyway. We played most evenings through the summers, and quite often in competitions at weekends. We've had Dads and lads golf trip with other father and son combinations to all sorts of courses, including Carnoustie and St Andrews.

 

They've both long since flown the nest, and as a result we don't get the chance very often - maybe a couple of times a year. One only plays occasionally but the other one is a pro. This year I had the tremendous honour and pleasure of caddying for him in Final Qualifying for the British Open. I probably cost him a couple of shots, definitely one for a misread putt, but he said before and after that that those two rounds were for me whatever the outcome - sadly he didn't qualify.

 

They've both filled me with pride, from how they behave on the course to the many times I've applauded when they've been picking up prizes.

 

Fantastic memories!

Great stories, it truly is special to be able to spend time on the course with our boys. I just picked up a set of clubs at Dick's as a Christmas gift for my son. I can't wait to take him & his brother out the day after Christmas.

post #26 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post

Great stories, it truly is special to be able to spend time on the course with our boys. I just picked up a set of clubs at Dick's as a Christmas gift for my son. I can't wait to take him & his brother out the day after Christmas.

Im hoping to get this opportunity. Sounds like you all have a pretty good time with the boys. I have a 2 yr old and I cant wait until he understands golf. ( if he ever does ) 

post #27 of 39

This is obviously the proud fathers thread so I'll start with my first post here.

I was always reasonably active in other sports but never picked up a club until my mid 20's (early 40's now). I really didn't enjoy the experience as everyone I went out with had played at some point before and it was very frustrating. I've only recently attempted to try and improve but didn't want the boys to feel like I did those first few times so introduced them to the game a couple of years ago. They are both sport crazy and the younger was always with us when we went to the range so has swung a club a few times.

 

I do find it fantastic to watch how they approach the game without any inhibitions at such an early age, and when they go for it, it doesn't look too bad to this novice.
Head reasonably still, weight forward...in socks in the kitchen. OK Ru has a hurly grip but he's already changed that to what he's playing.
 

 


Videos were taken when OE was just turning 8, and Ru was just 3. I have no illusions of how far they can get, and my motives are purely selfish, as enjoying time together as they grow older is something that I hope that develops like it has for many of you above.

SKER.

 

Edit: In case the videos didn't upload properly here are the links.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Y9Iz0cGWE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG9R_g090Kc

post #28 of 39

Congratulations that is wonderful, golf really is the best multi generation sport. My son Lucas is three, he started swinging a club proper at one and a half. 

 

1000

Now he is a bit older we can enjoy our time together even more, he gets so much out of it and so do I--it is the best feeling sharing golfing time with those you love. Obviously there is a point where daddy wants to practice or Lucas wants to play on the zipslide or swings. His first word was golf and even now if he asks for a sweety(candy) then from time to time i ask whats the magic word--- expecting one day he will say please or (bitte) as he speaks german too but no!! he says golf. What golfing father could resist?. Its worth noting that its spending time together and bonding is the best for both of us, but the golf is right up there too!.

post #29 of 39

My son is only a year and a half but I cant wait to buy him his first set of clubs.

post #30 of 39
Thread Starter 

Awesome posts guys. I agree with Chopper that golf is an amazing multi generation sport, all my boys are 19 or older and golf is a great way for us to make time for each other. My grandson is now 4 and I had a putter cut down for him and can't wait till the day when I can stand on the tee box with my sons & grandson.

post #31 of 39

My dad started my youngest son playing golf by taking him to the range when he was 7 or so.  I didn't know how well he could hit the ball until we went to a baseball tournament in Reno and the dads wanted to play golf.  To my surprise he could drive the ball very well with an adult driver which was pretty good for 9 years old.  He parred a hole or 2 and that's when I decided to get him his own set of Cobra senior graphite irons and cut them down 2 inches.  After using them for a few months I entered him into US Kids tournaments and his golf took off from there.

 

He's now 12 and plays consistently 80-82, and drives the ball from 220-250 yds.  I can't compete with him, so I just caddy now.  He was mainly a baseball player from 5-11 years old, but now we're playing more golf and cutting back some on the baseball.  This is a video of him hitting his 1st TaylorMade driver when he just turned 12 last spring.

 

post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Those of you who posted about your kids joining you at age 4 or 5 made my day! My oldest is 3.5 right now and I look forward to the day that hell want to start actually playing. :)

I started taking mine to the championship course at age 5 in the evenings and he loved it.   He'd basically ride along in the cart and hit a shot every here or there.   Then he'd drop on the green and putt out....  He had a blast....  He'd bring 1 wedge and a putter to the course....LOL

post #33 of 39
Thread Starter 

For my birthday I'm getting two free passes for Dye's Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass. I'm going to take my oldest son and I can't wait to spend the day with him. He's never gotten to play a really nice course, with the type of service a course like TPC provides so I'm excited to share that with him. Has anybody here played the Valley Course? I hear it's pretty difficult.

post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsknicks1 View Post

For my birthday I'm getting two free passes for Dye's Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass. I'm going to take my oldest son and I can't wait to spend the day with him. He's never gotten to play a really nice course, with the type of service a course like TPC provides so I'm excited to share that with him. Has anybody here played the Valley Course? I hear it's pretty difficult.

 

That is awesome.  Since my son is only 4 he doesn't really know the differences in courses.  He picks his favorite based on who has the fastest carts, lol.  But I am looking forward to when he is older (if he still plays) and taking him to some really nice courses.  There are a lot of sports that I am sure he will want to try but Golf sure does provide you an awesome opportunity to play the game and spend time with your family as well.

post #35 of 39
Thread Starter 

Just an update. My boy (19) got his first birdie two weeks ago! Roped a drive, hit a great iron to 5ft and sunk the putt. It was so cool to be there for it and to watch how pumped he got. Late week we played and he took approx. 10 strokes off his last score (I say approx because we're still cutting him some slack on balls OB and stuff).

 

The best thing about him being so new is that we were able to pull the exploding ball trick on him, funny as hell. :)

post #36 of 39

After his first year on the HS team, my boy started playing regularly in our Sun skins group this past fall. So far, he has won a few greenies and skins and averages about a birdie per round.  At $25 - $40 a pop, he gets really excited, but the coolest thing is, he is becoming 'one of the guys'. So cool watching him become a man... sorry...I'm starting to get a little misty......

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › My son has started playing!