or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 - Page 5

post #73 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post

I bought the game last month and have been playing it steady since then... not sure what to really make of it really. Sometimes I really enjoy it but there are times where you hit your drive into the brush and like someone mentioned earlier the trees act like theatre drapes. There's no chance if you've made contact with trees. The crowds are horrible, the animations are terrible also I find when you make a long putt or winning stroke. The putting has gotten better I think but can at times still be frustrating. It just doesn't seem like EA put as much effort into the game as they do with their other sports series.

The fact that you have to purchase additional content is ridiculous as well.

2K Sports should create a golf game imo. They've managed to completely trump the EA Sports NBA series.

Are you playing '13 or '14? You said that you got it last month but the release date was only this last week.

 

I think that EA does a really good job with it. I agree with Jamo, no Tiger = no sales.

post #74 of 98

I got Tiger Woods PGA 13. Downloaded it on my xbox last month, was only $29.

post #75 of 98
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post

Gotta disagree with you there.. 2K Sports' games have been morerealistic than EA Sports as far as simulation style games go the last 5 years or so. They continue to be if you look at their Soccer and NBA games out currently. You're right about Tiger, he's obviously got a commitment to EA but I wouldn't rule out another company from producing simulation golf. If the game is produced as just say for example PGA Tour '14 there would be an expectation that all current PGA tour players would be playable and no matter how big Tiger is, he's still just a tour player.
There's probably some legal issues at bay but I'm sure it can be done somehow.

I don't know exactly how the PGA Tour's licensing works, but I don't think it's as simplistic as you're making it out to be. Otherwise, why isn't Phil Mickelson in the Tiger Woods games? (The answer: because he doesn't want to be. Just like how Tiger wouldn't want to be in a 2K game.)

My comment about simulation isn't so much about 2K's other games as it is about how long it has taken EA to build to where it is.

(Also, FWIW, as far as I can tell 2K only has baseball and basketball games out right now (plus tennis, or something). Their baseball game has been crappy for a while now, because once they signed the exclusivity deal that killed EA's MVP Baseball, 2K had no competition on 2 of the 3 consoles, and no reason to innovate. I don't like their basketball game either, and preferred EA's NBA Live before EA spent a few years continuously shooting themselves in the foot.)
post #76 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I don't know exactly how the PGA Tour's licensing works, but I don't think it's as simplistic as you're making it out to be. Otherwise, why isn't Phil Mickelson in the Tiger Woods games? (The answer: because he doesn't want to be. Just like how Tiger wouldn't want to be in a 2K game.)
I remember playing PGA tour golf on the sega genesis in the early/mid 90's and one of the guys who was always on the leader board was Lance Ten Broeck. I don't have a point to make, just felt like sharing. :)
post #77 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


I don't know exactly how the PGA Tour's licensing works, but I don't think it's as simplistic as you're making it out to be. Otherwise, why isn't Phil Mickelson in the Tiger Woods games? (The answer: because he doesn't want to be. Just like how Tiger wouldn't want to be in a 2K game.)

My comment about simulation isn't so much about 2K's other games as it is about how long it has taken EA to build to where it is.

(Also, FWIW, as far as I can tell 2K only has baseball and basketball games out right now (plus tennis, or something). Their baseball game has been crappy for a while now, because once they signed the exclusivity deal that killed EA's MVP Baseball, 2K had no competition on 2 of the 3 consoles, and no reason to innovate. I don't like their basketball game either, and preferred EA's NBA Live before EA spent a few years continuously shooting themselves in the foot.)

Yeah... baseball and golf are the two games I buy every year and 2Ks baseball game kind of sucks. I'm lucky that I'm on the PS3 so I have MLB the Show as an option which is a good one.

 

I've always been a big fan of EA sports and loved their MVP series when it was around. Although I must say that saturday is right about the NBA games, 2Ks is better there the last time I played 'em (2 years ago).

post #78 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday View Post

 If the game is produced as just say for example PGA Tour '14 there would be an expectation that all current PGA tour players would be playable and no matter how big Tiger is, he's still just a tour player.

There's probably some legal issues at bay but I'm sure it can be done somehow.

 

The PGA license covers the PGA brand, and that's all it covers. Licenses then have to be arranged with each individual course, each individual tournament, and each individual golfer. Each license costs money and adds to the budget, and furthermore each course license requires EA to upgrade the course each year. So no, unlike baseball or football, a golf video game cannot have all the courses and all the players as part of their contract. Some courses do not want to be in a video game, so they can't. Some golfers don't want to be in the game, so they aren't. EA has the license to put their name on the leader board, but they can't even use a shot arc of an unlicensed golfer because that could be construed as part of their image... which is why they had no play offs until this year, because they couldn't figure out how to manage a play off with a golfer who wasn't licensed to be in the game.

post #79 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


I don't know exactly how the PGA Tour's licensing works, but I don't think it's as simplistic as you're making it out to be. Otherwise, why isn't Phil Mickelson in the Tiger Woods games? (The answer: because he doesn't want to be. Just like how Tiger wouldn't want to be in a 2K game.)

My comment about simulation isn't so much about 2K's other games as it is about how long it has taken EA to build to where it is.

(Also, FWIW, as far as I can tell 2K only has baseball and basketball games out right now (plus tennis, or something). Their baseball game has been crappy for a while now, because once they signed the exclusivity deal that killed EA's MVP Baseball, 2K had no competition on 2 of the 3 consoles, and no reason to innovate. I don't like their basketball game either, and preferred EA's NBA Live before EA spent a few years continuously shooting themselves in the foot.)

I understand what you're saying and I've always been a big fan of EA's just frustrated with some of their new game releases. There's been times where all they've changed is just the cover art and rosters.

There was actually a tentative deal between Ubisoft and Vijay Singh a few years ago for a new golf game and it got quashed just a few months later.

post #80 of 98
Is there play offs now in TW14?

Ill have to check that out.

Regards

Mailman
post #81 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

Is there play offs now in TW14?

Ill have to check that out.

Regards

Mailman

 

Yes, it varies on the tournament you are playing. So the US Open goes for a full round of 18 holes. You learn the score of your opponent after you play each hole.

post #82 of 98
Ah, so it's just a playoff in name only? Would have been nice if they could have worked like how you have a playing partner in the training rounds etc.

Oh we'll, guess ill just have to wait for TW15 on the PS4? :)

Regards

Mailman
post #83 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

Ah, so it's just a playoff in name only? Would have been nice if they could have worked like how you have a playing partner in the training rounds etc.

Oh we'll, guess ill just have to wait for TW15 on the PS4? :)

Regards

Mailman

 

Again because of licensing issues, they never had a play off until this year because they couldn't figure out how to implement it. If you are tied with a golfer they don't have the license for, there is no way they can have you play against him. So the solution they worked out was to have you play each hole and then sim the score of your opponent.

 

If you are waiting for a version where you can play against any golfer from the PGA Tour who you happened to be tied with, waiting for the PS4 won't make any difference. As I said above, they have to arrange a license fee with each individual golfer before they appear in the game... so there is no way they will ever be able to handle the contingency of 150 possible golfers you could play in a play off round.

post #84 of 98

Hmmm...so...if they dont hold a licence for individuals in the sport how is it they can use those same players names in the game anyway? Surely, the name of a player belongs to that player exclusively as part of their intellectual property rights?


Regards

 

Mailman

post #85 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

Hmmm...so...if they dont hold a licence for individuals in the sport how is it they can use those same players names in the game anyway? Surely, the name of a player belongs to that player exclusively as part of their intellectual property rights?


Regards

 

Mailman

They have the license to use the leader board, and any names that have appeared there.

post #86 of 98

Will probably be picking the game up this week, loved 13 so should enjoy 14 even if Adam Scott isn't present :/

post #87 of 98

For members of the Sand Trap Country Club on the PS3, I started a one round live tournament at Pebble Beach running from today until Friday. Next week I'll set up one at Augusta for the Masters.

post #88 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristanhilton85 View Post

For members of the Sand Trap Country Club on the PS3, I started a one round live tournament at Pebble Beach running from today until Friday. Next week I'll set up one at Augusta for the Masters.

Very Cool! Getting the game today

post #89 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anatole Ghio View Post

They have the license to use the leader board, and any names that have appeared there.

BUT they still dont hold the licence to a particular players name...like Phil.

 

I dont think what you are saying is the real reason why they dont have proper play offs where you get to see your playing partner/s.  I think this is more a design limitation of the game itself rather than a licensing issue.

 

 

If its not a design issue then the solution seems straight forward to me. Only have those players they hold the actual rights to represent in the game ever have a chance of being the winner of a competition so that when you get to a position where you are tied 1st equal THEN you have a play off. You would never know the ending was contrived simply because most human players would work they game so they win.

 

Regards

Mailman

post #90 of 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

 Only have those players they hold the actual rights to represent in the game ever have a chance of being the winner of a competition so that when you get to a position where you are tied 1st equal THEN you have a play off. You would never know the ending was contrived simply because most human players would work they game so they win.

 

Regards

Mailman

If enough people request them to go in this direction, there is a good chance they will. The current dev team is very responsive to what the fans request. The sim difficulty is because the fans requested it, and they will be changing the camera on puts on this edition in the patch because that is what the feedback from the fans was asking for.

 

Me personally, I'd want them to keep the current play off as they have implemented it now, but also add head to head if the person you are tied with is one of the licensed players. I would really be pulled out of the game if I saw the same people at the top of the leaderboard tournament after tournament as you suggest.

 

You are wrong about the names. If it appears on a PGA leaderboard, they can show it on the leaderboard in the game... and Phil Mickelson's name appears on the leaderboard of the game.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14