or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › i have no interest in "teeing it forward"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i have no interest in "teeing it forward" - Page 5

post #73 of 163

It appears tuffluck hasn't learned or doesn't care about course management.  He wants to bang his driver out there on as many holes as possible and play whatever shot he has to after his drive regardless of whether they provide him the best chance to score low.   It's likely part of the reason he is still a 20 handicap but can hit the ball long.  

 

At some point he'll worry more about scoring and choose the tee box that provides him the best 2nd and 3rd shots into the green and not just focus on how far he hits the ball. 

post #74 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

The 30y difference is significant for the high capper that lacks consistency.

 

eh, yes and no.  on a 400y par 4 i'll hit a 3w and an 8i.  on a 430y par 4 i'll hit a driver and an 8i.  there are many holes on the tips i hit my 3w instead of my driver anyway, i wouldn't want to limit my driving holes even further.  truthfully i hit my 3w more consistently, so my best round of golf would likely be never pulling out the driver.  but then that wouldn't really seem like golf to me; i'd have more fun playing with the driver and losing a couple to the trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post
It's clearly an ego thing, whether you admit it or not.

 

 

okay, if you say so.

post #75 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

 

eh, yes and no.  on a 400y par 4 i'll hit a 3w and an 8i.  on a 430y par 4 i'll hit a driver and an 8i.  there are many holes on the tips i hit my 3w instead of my driver anyway, i wouldn't want to limit my driving holes even further.  truthfully i hit my 3w more consistently, so my best round of golf would likely be never pulling out the driver.  but then that wouldn't really seem like golf to me; i'd have more fun playing with the driver and losing a couple to the trees.

 

 

What you really mean is that's what you'll hit if you make good contact on that particular hole. What happens when you don't? Safe to assume playing to 20 you're seeing the entire course. I know I do at 13. Just today I made a bogey on a par 5 and it took me 5 shots to get it on the green before a 1 putt. I had a few holes like that on the way to a front 9 43.  

post #76 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

i hit the ball pretty long, so i target courses that are about 7,000 yards, which is usually the tips.  i shoot 90s consistently from this position.  i CAN tee it forward and shoot lower, but it doesn't boost my confidence any.  i know that if i play today from the whites and shoot 87 or from the blacks and shoot 93, my skill level didn't change between either.  if my skill level doesn't change and i'm not reporting my scorecard to anyone, 5 saved strokes via sacrificing 500 yards doesn't do anything for me emotionally.  if i play with someone with a similar skill level that decides to tee it forward, unless we are betting money i really don't care that they beat me by 5 strokes.  oh, and my pace of play is very fast, so teeing it forward isn't an issue in that regard.  anyone else feel this way?

I say...bombs away!  Play from the tees that give you the most enjoyment.  You said you play fast and don't hold anyone up.....I don't have any problem with it.  (nor should anyone else)  Have fun................   

post #77 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

The 30y difference is significant for the high capper that lacks consistency.

 

eh, yes and no.  on a 400y par 4 i'll hit a 3w and an 8i.  on a 430y par 4 i'll hit a driver and an 8i.  there are many holes on the tips i hit my 3w instead of my driver anyway, i wouldn't want to limit my driving holes even further.  truthfully i hit my 3w more consistently, so my best round of golf would likely be never pulling out the driver.  but then that wouldn't really seem like golf to me; i'd have more fun playing with the driver and losing a couple to the trees.

 

 

You seem to have an odd idea of the point of golf.  It's not to swing for the wall on every shot, it's to shoot for the lowest score.  I don't know who you are trying to impress, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I couldn't really care less how far you hit the ball, but if you can't score, then you've completely missed the point.   If allyou care about is hitting the driver, then you can do that on the range all day long and accomplish the same thing.  But whatever.... have a good life.  e3_rolleyes.gif

post #78 of 163

At my handicap and my distance, I'm whites all the way.  However, I'll go to the blues or tips on par 3's if I wanna mix it up or if I like the distance better.

post #79 of 163

What I find interesting is how people talk about the back tees in generic terms.     On many courses, the back tees may be very short.  Do you play forward tees then too?   The point being the tee in itself is not relevant.   The forward tees on one course may be 6700yds 73.5CR 141 slope............and the forward tees on another may be 6000yds 67.5CR 104slope.  So is it being macho to play the tips on the later course....when the tips are 6200yds 68.5cr and 109slope? 

post #80 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

You seem to have an odd idea of the point of golf.  It's not to swing for the wall on every shot, it's to shoot for the lowest score.  I don't know who you are trying to impress, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I couldn't really care less how far you hit the ball, but if you can't score, then you've completely missed the point.   If allyou care about is hitting the driver, then you can do that on the range all day long and accomplish the same thing.  But whatever.... have a good life.  e3_rolleyes.gif

you're kind of a jerk about it, really.  i understand the point of golf, and i will eventually shoot lower, it will just be from the tips.  i don't see how that is any different from doing it at any other tee.  would you tell someone that shoots 90s from the forward tees that they should move to the women's tees because they aren't playing the game of golf correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut View Post

What I find interesting is how people talk about the back tees in generic terms.     On many courses, the back tees may be very short.  Do you play forward tees then too?   The point being the tee in itself is not relevant.   The forward tees on one course may be 6700yds 73.5CR 141 slope............and the forward tees on another may be 6000yds 67.5CR 104slope.  So is it being macho to play the tips on the later course....when the tips are 6200yds 68.5cr and 109slope? 

yes, i totally agree.  there is a course i play that is 6,200 from the tips and another at 6,500 from the tips.  the tips are no question at those courses.  then there is another course that is 7,600 from the tips and 7,100 from the whites.  i play the whites because there isn't a chance in hell 7,600 would even be feasible for me (i.e. every par 4 would play as a par 5).  normally i target 6,800-7,000 yards, and usually that is the tips on most courses. 

post #81 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanksalot View Post


Here is some food for thought. You play from the same tees every time. If you play the same course most of the time then you are really only playing one type of course. If you want something a little different try playing from the forward tees a few times. The course may play very different for you and you may not in fact shoot lower scores because you might just be bringing in different obstacles than what you faced from your normal tees. The same can be said from one set further back as well. When I moved down a set it changed the whole experience of playing my home course. My handicap did not lower much simply because the rating and slope is easier at the senior tees. My scores are lower and the fact I can now reach all par 4's in two strokes most of the time is nice as well but my handicap has only gone down a half stroke.

 

Totally agree with this.  I mix up the tees a lot (although I never play from the tips).  I love to play from the women's or juniors tees.  Sometimes I play with irons only - but other times I will use driver and woods.  It makes some of the par 4's drive-able . .although I have never come close to doing it.  I do usually score better from closer in, though . .because even if I put my tee shot in trouble, my second shot is still a lot closer to the green.  I can still blow up a hole from the ladies tee, though - no doubt about that - but overall my score will be lower than if I played from further back.

post #82 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

You seem to have an odd idea of the point of golf.  It's not to swing for the wall on every shot, it's to shoot for the lowest score.  I don't know who you are trying to impress, but it doesn't seem to be working.  I couldn't really care less how far you hit the ball, but if you can't score, then you've completely missed the point.   If allyou care about is hitting the driver, then you can do that on the range all day long and accomplish the same thing.  But whatever.... have a good life.  e3_rolleyes.gif

you're kind of a jerk about it, really.  i understand the point of golf, and i will eventually shoot lower, it will just be from the tips.  i don't see how that is any different from doing it at any other tee.  would you tell someone that shoots 90s from the forward tees that they should move to the women's tees because they aren't playing the game of golf correctly?

 

 

Not trying to be a jerk.  I simply find your mindset incomprehensible.  Even when I first set my handicap it was lower than what you post here, yet I've never felt the compulsion to play farther back than about 6700 yards (I have played out to near 7000 yards, but I never really enjoyed it).  I've always tried to play the tee set which was most appropriate for my length AND for my scoring ability.  On some courses that's up to 6600 or 6700 yards, on others where the slope is higher, even 6000-6200 is plenty.  And I've played most of my golf at altitude in Denver, so everything plays a bit shorter.

 

I've also never seen anything about the game which said you were supposed to blindly pull the driver on every par 4, or even on some par 5 holes.  I get that you say it's more fun for you, but I think that you make yourself a more well rounded player if you look for more variety.  I see the driver like any other club - it is there for a purpose, but it isn't the only possibility from the tee.  I'm as likely to pull the driver for a long shot from light rough, or even from the fairway if the circumstances warrant it.  I've actually played a par 5 hole where it worked better to play 3W from the tee, then driver for the second.

 

One of the great things about golf is that there are many ways to get the job done.  As long as you respect the course and your fellow players, then have at it. c2_beer.gif

post #83 of 163

You have no business playing from the tips if you're shooting in the 90's... bottom line.

post #84 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by askarzy View Post

You have no business playing from the tips if you're shooting in the 90's... bottom line.

 

You joined The Sand Trap to post this?  Out of curiousity, who decides whose business it is to do what?

post #85 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker View Post

 

You joined The Sand Trap to post this?  Out of curiousity, who decides whose business it is to do what?


The people who design the course, for one.  The reason why they have different tees is to give golfers of all abilities a chance to play well.  I have to laugh at most people I see playing the tips because in almost every case they have no business playing those tees.  Its all ego.

post #86 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffluck View Post

you're kind of a jerk about it, really.  i understand the point of golf, and i will eventually shoot lower, it will just be from the tips.  i don't see how that is any different from doing it at any other tee.  would you tell someone that shoots 90s from the forward tees that they should move to the women's tees because they aren't playing the game of golf correctly?

yes, i totally agree.  there is a course i play that is 6,200 from the tips and another at 6,500 from the tips.  the tips are no question at those courses.  then there is another course that is 7,600 from the tips and 7,100 from the whites.  i play the whites because there isn't a chance in hell 7,600 would even be feasible for me (i.e. every par 4 would play as a par 5).  normally i target 6,800-7,000 yards, and usually that is the tips on most courses. 


I don't think FourPutt intended to be a jerk, your thread topic is that "you have no interest in teeing it forward".

 

So, I am guessing that you might be getting some odd looks from people behind you and possibly asking why you play from the tips, and that having this topic on the forum can give you some ammunition to wayward observers with the appropriate responses.

 

IF that is the case, it's your money paying for the time slot on the course. You are entitled to do whatever you want on the course within your time slot, as long as you obey the rules.

 

Personally, I just made two pars on a local nine hole course. They were two casual 300 yard par 4s, casual drive, casual chip/pitch and no pressure 2 putt. Felt really good. Try it sometime, you might like that more than "long perfect Drive + long 8i", chip and 2 putt.

post #87 of 163

Take your average 5 iron distance (your average, not your one perfect swing a month).  Multiply it by 36. That total is the yardage you should be playing, if you want to compare your game to the course length the PGA tour players play. That would give you the approximate approach clubs that the pros play.

 

For example, average 5 iron on tour is about 200 yards.  200 x 36 is 7200 yards.  That's a typical PGA length course. If your average is 170, you should play around 6120 yards. If it's 150, you should play 5400 yards.

 

I would guess most people play longer yardages than that. 

post #88 of 163
Man, I can't believe some of the hatefulness in this thread. As BuckeyeNut (and maybe others) has said, if a player can keep up, he has the right to play from any set of tees without being forced to endure criticism from other players (online or otherwise). Criteria like driving distance or some multiple of a players 5i distance are fine, but in no way should those metrics be the final determining factor for ALL players. For example:

- I play with a very good player at our club who hits driver ~250-260 and 5i ~175. He plays from the tips on all of our courses including the longest, which plays ~7100 yards. He's a +2 and change.

- Another player in our group hits it about 275 and can get 5i out there about 190. He rarely breaks 80 (and still shoots 90+ on occasion) from any of the tees, including the forward men's tees.

It's been pointed out over and again that scores just don't change much, regardless of length, when a player switches tee boxes. Even a relatively short hitter (driver=210-225) should only see a 3-5 shot difference playing the longest set of tees on any course as opposed to playing up.

Some players like to play back in order to manage their HCs, while others enjoy the challenge a longer layout provides. Some guys play forward because it's more fun for them. Whatever provides the best experience for the player is right for them. For the record, I typically play around 6600 yards, but I move up or back depending on the group with whom I'm playing. I shoot about the same number from all of the tee boxes.

As always, it comes down to a player's preference. If a guy has more fun playing back and can keep up with the group ahead of him, more power to him. There isn't a soul on this forum that can speak for another re: what makes golf enjoyable for someone else.

No interest in playing it forward? No problem, just keep up, please.

BTW, I hear this same nonsense in the groups I play with. A group of guys in front of us will decide to play the back tees and proceed to hit marginal tee shots all the way around, yet they keep up with the group in front of them. Guys in our group will have negative things to say all the way around while the reality is that it makes no difference at all. I'm much more concerned with the hacks that play the white tees and then proceed to spend an eternity looking for their Top Flites that have landed in the desert as if they only brought one ball to the course. They're the guys that hold up play, not the guys playing from the 'wrong' tee boxes.
post #89 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post

Take your average 5 iron distance (your average, not your one perfect swing a month).  Multiply it by 36. That total is the yardage you should be playing, if you want to compare your game to the course length the PGA tour players play. That would give you the approximate approach clubs that the pros play.

 

For example, average 5 iron on tour is about 200 yards.  200 x 36 is 7200 yards.  That's a typical PGA length course. If your average is 170, you should play around 6120 yards. If it's 150, you should play 5400 yards.

 

I would guess most people play longer yardages than that. 

 

The OP seems to be interested only in driver length.  I don't dispute that he may be one of those rare people who can hit 300 yards but can't score, but the point is that if he can't score from that far back, then he's playing from the wrong tees.  How far he hits the driver has nothing to do with it, but he seems to not care, so I guess he'll continue to be happy playing worse than bogey golf for the foreseeable future.  

 

By the way, my typical 5I is 175-180 (at 5400 elevation on my home course), so that puts me at 6300-6480, and that also happens to be the length which is the most fun for me too.  I arrived at that number just from experience long before I knew that little formula.

post #90 of 163

The OP obviously is a long hitter & prefers to hit long shots.     As for me, I don't have the length, so I prefer a controlled game & not swinging from the heels.    It he likes to bomb it and knows enough to not slow the pace of play, have at it - can't blame him, it would be lots of fun to blast it from the tips if I had that kind of length (ONLY if I could control it though) ...

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › i have no interest in "teeing it forward"