or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Graeme McDowell pleads with fans to stop yelling, calls it 'rubbish'
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Graeme McDowell pleads with fans to stop yelling, calls it 'rubbish'

post #1 of 41
Thread Starter 

Graeme McDowell closed with a 4-under 68 to win the World Challenge by three shots on Sunday, his first title in two years and had to deal with "You da Man!" type gallery shouters.  McDowell apparently became annoyed by a spectator who was “Yabba Dabba Do-ing” after each shot during the final round at Sherwood.  I also heard a few Baba Booey's, if you're fan of Howard Stern you'll get the reference.

 

Quote:
I’m kind of fed up with all this ‘mashed potatoes’ and all this rubbish that the crowd is kind of enjoying shouting right now,” he told reporters afterward. “Keegan had a guy out there who was – after every shot he was ‘Yabba Dabba Do-ing,’ and it was just stupid. It’s not a lot of fun, and it’s kind of becoming a little bit of a cool thing to do for the spectators. It kind of gives them their two or three seconds of fame. But it gets a little frustrating for everyone.

 

This followed Keegan Bradely being called a cheater during Saturday's round for using an anchored style of putting.  The USGA responded, condemning the act

 

Quote:
This is a deplorable incident, and there is no place in our game for this kind of behavior,

 

Should the Tour do something to try lessen these kind of outbursts?  Can they afford to stop selling alcohol?  

post #2 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Should the Tour do something to try lessen these kind of outbursts?  Can they afford to stop selling alcohol?  

I'd be curious to know what the stats are regarding revenue from live attendees.  Also, I can't imagine that the majority of fans that go to see live golf (perhaps not counting in Phoenix) are going to be turned away by a lack of alcohol.  And, I would imagine that you would cut down somewhat (certainly not all, some people are sober idiots) on the yelling.

 

I don't know if it's true about all of college football (I don't think it is), but there are some schools that don't sell alcohol at games and they manage just fine.  (pretty sure UCLA is one)

 

Side note:  When I first read the title of the thread, I read it as Graeme being annoyed at fans who were actually yelling "RUBBISH!!"

post #3 of 41

Alcohol shouldn't take full blame for the kinds of "rubbish" being yelled since a good amount of spectators drink booze and can still maintain composure. 

 

If the tour would do something about it, it's as simple as kicking out the offending spectator. As far as I'm concerned, that's one less annoying person to worry about. 

post #4 of 41

I think you can craft language  about such individual outbursts and leave it in the sole discretion of tournament officials to warn, and then have security escort guilty spectators off the premises.

post #5 of 41

Was this the very subtle "jerk off" signal that he gave someone in the crowd? Not too long after some idiot with "MASHED POTATOES". Forgot what hole it was on. I paused and rewound and said "Yup, that was definitely an air jerk", LOL

post #6 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Should the Tour do something to try lessen these kind of outbursts?  Can they afford to stop selling alcohol?  
I want to say yes, but I'm not sure how. Doubt they'd stop the alcohol service.

I hate those idiots shouting all kinds of nonsense out there. "Nice shot", "WoW", "Woooo" or something like that is fine, but that other stuff is just ramblings of an idiot, perhaps drunken at that. I'm not saying golf should be the stiff upper lip gentleman's stereotype, but it's not football and it's not hockey.

"Mashed potatoes" was fun the first time. The following 542 was just *facepalm*.

If they are able to, give people warnings and throw them out if they don't stop. I can't imagine most of the spectators care much for it.
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post

Was this the very subtle "jerk off" signal that he gave someone in the crowd? Not too long after some idiot with "MASHED POTATOES". Forgot what hole it was on. I paused and rewound and said "Yup, that was definitely an air jerk", LOL

Yep, think it was the last, my - admittedly poor lip reading skills - detected a word something like "Banker", which would correspond with that jesture in the UK.

post #8 of 41

Golf fans need to start policing themselves.  

 

By that, if you observe someone yelling something stupid, get the attention of a tournament worker and let them know.  With any luck, security will have a chat with them and let them know that if they don't knock it off, they'll be leaving.

post #9 of 41

I've come to the conclusion a long time ago that most people are idiots. People feel as though they've paid their money to be there and they can act however they want.


Edited by RonTheSavage - 12/3/12 at 5:25pm
post #10 of 41

he said the word wanker and then made the gesture of a wanker

post #11 of 41

Ok this guy's an idiot but this might be my all time favorite "rubbish"

 

Light the Candle???

 

post #12 of 41

Must have lost my sense of humor - it's just sad ... all this loud attention grabbing.

 

Why not go back to streaking?

post #13 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

Alcohol shouldn't take full blame for the kinds of "rubbish" being yelled since a good amount of spectators drink booze and can still maintain composure. 

 

If the tour would do something about it, it's as simple as kicking out the offending spectator. As far as I'm concerned, that's one less annoying person to worry about. 

This is the same as the "guns don't kill people, people do" argument against gun control.  (Not saying it's a wrong argument, and not wanting to start a gun control debate either, just pointing out the similarity)

 

If they found that it would help, I would be OK with them banning alcohol to keep people from exhibiting this type of behavior, even though most people who drink alcohol do not act like this.  I feel like its a small price to pay to "have" to enjoy your professional golf sober such that you can continue to enjoy your professional golf without "wankers" like these guys ruining it for you.

post #14 of 41

Here's how you fix this, you give the right of the player to kick a person out of the tournament. Meaning if Bradley got to the point were it was bothering him, he should have the right to kick that guy off the golf course. If you want to act like an bleeping idiot and actually effect a golfer's game, live with the consequences, meaning in the terms of baseball, "YOUR OUT OF HERE" 

post #15 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

This is the same as the "guns don't kill people, people do" argument against gun control.  (Not saying it's a wrong argument, and not wanting to start a gun control debate either, just pointing out the similarity)

 

If they found that it would help, I would be OK with them banning alcohol to keep people from exhibiting this type of behavior, even though most people who drink alcohol do not act like this.  I feel like its a small price to pay to "have" to enjoy your professional golf sober such that you can continue to enjoy your professional golf without "wankers" like these guys ruining it for you.

 

I think if banning alcohol helps other patrons enjoy themselves, then I'm for it. It doesn't make a difference to me since I don't usually drink alcohol during any sporting event. But I've seen many others drink and still have the same sense of consideration as the sober guy next to them. Either way, I still don't think banning alcohol will solve this issue since there are still a lot of sober morons out there. 

post #16 of 41

The best way to stop this crap would be for the player to go to the c*ckhead in the crowd and front him on National TV so everyone could see the face of these loudmouth idiots , after a few exposures I'm sure the garbage would cease when friends and family could see what Tools these guys are.

post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMPIRE View Post

I think if banning alcohol helps other patrons enjoy themselves, then I'm for it. It doesn't make a difference to me since I don't usually drink alcohol during any sporting event. But I've seen many others drink and still have the same sense of consideration as the sober guy next to them. Either way, I still don't think banning alcohol will solve this issue since there are still a lot of sober morons out there. 

Yeah, I agree with that.  (I also don't drink while at games, not only because it's so expensive, but mainly because I like to pay attention to what's going on)

 

Another silly analogy I could make is that we could argue that we don't really need a law that prevents us from murdering other people because 99.999% of the people out there who don't murder people are not refraining simply because it's against the law.

 

Of course, to your point, even though we have the law against murdering people, morons (drunk or otherwise) still tend to do it.  So you are probably right that it won't help much to stop serving alcohol.

 

The reason (I'm guessing so forgive me if I'm wrong) people do it is because they think it's cool and want to be heard ... I'm assuming mainly on TV.  When jumping onto the football or baseball field and running around like an idiot started to get really popular to the morons the TV people made an attempt to curb it by not showing them.  Obviously it still happens on occasion, but it seems a lot more rare.  I wonder if there was a way they could mute the nearby fans for the quiet moments immediately following shots to take away the incentive to "be heard" and thus cutting down on the nonsense without diminishing the experience for us viewers?

post #18 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesworld View Post

Golf fans need to start policing themselves.  

 

By that, if you observe someone yelling something stupid, get the attention of a tournament worker and let them know.  With any luck, security will have a chat with them and let them know that if they don't knock it off, they'll be leaving.

This.  If the tour believes it is an issue (obviously it is if players are complaining about it), then the tournament should make fans aware that they would like help policing and identifying spectators who exhibit such unruly behavior.  And anyone caught abusing their right to spectate, the said offender will be removed from the grounds by a tournament official, or onsite security.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Graeme McDowell pleads with fans to stop yelling, calls it 'rubbish'