or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Carts and covers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carts and covers

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Your going to have to excuse me for posting this, but I was just reading a thread and one member mentioned he rated something up there with no push carts and iron covers. I'm going to sound quite silly but I don't understand why people are opposed to both of these things. I haven't been playing for long, so try not too crucify me too badly lol
post #2 of 14

You'll find that the nerds in any hobby or sport will try to establish their superiority and define themselves as the 'real' practitioners of said hobby or sport.

 

You would think that the ones that could actually score the best would be the top practitioners of golf, but you would be wrong.  The nerds consider 'purity' much more important.  So don't do any of the following.

 

1. Most important: Do not ever break or bend any rule or decision.  You can do this, but don't say you are playing Golf, because you are not you are playing something else.

2. Real, pure golfers always walk and always carry their bag.  If you have a push cart, you are not pure.  Don't even talk to me about those idiots who ride in carts.

3. Pure golfers would never use iron covers, because, because,uh....just because.  That's why.

 

So if you want to be a 'real' pure golfer, do what they do.  Although I can't understand why they don't play with Hickories on Links courses maintained by sheep. Cause that's what I do, so I am the only 'pure' 'real' golfer around here.

 

In all seriousness, I hope you keep pushing your cart (I do).  Keep using your iron covers.  Break out that foot wedge every once in a while.  Have fun and don't let the unfriendly golfers keep you away from the best sport in the world.

post #3 of 14

I have nothing against either pull or push carts.   I do think iron head-covers are stupid........... With that said, if you like them...that is all that matters. 

post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortylook View Post

Your going to have to excuse me for posting this, but I was just reading a thread and one member mentioned he rated something up there with no push carts and iron covers. I'm going to sound quite silly but I don't understand why people are opposed to both of these things. I haven't been playing for long, so try not too crucify me too badly lol

 

Do what turns your crank.  I don't use iron covers because I think they are a a waste of time and money, but you do what you think best and enjoy the game. a1_smile.gif

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by utztech View Post

You'll find that the nerds in any hobby or sport will try to establish their superiority and define themselves as the 'real' practitioners of said hobby or sport.

 

You would think that the ones that could actually score the best would be the top practitioners of golf, but you would be wrong.  The nerds consider 'purity' much more important.  So don't do any of the following.

 

1. Most important: Do not ever break or bend any rule or decision.  You can do this, but don't say you are playing Golf, because you are not you are playing something else.

 

 

 

So.... where did you get this from the OP's post?  Best way I know of to begin an off topic argument right from the start.  YOU don't like the rules, don't play by them.  If you play that way, then don't act like that handicap you post means anything.   I'm as big a stickler for me, personally, playing by the rules as anyone here, but I don't give a fig what anyone else chooses to do as long as they aren't in competition with me, so you can drop the irrelevant stereotype.


Edited by Fourputt - 12/10/12 at 8:41am
post #5 of 14

As far as iron covers are concerned they are just a total waste of time and money. In addition, in my experience I have never seen anyone who wasn't a complete hack use them. They are just one of those things that if I show up on the first tee and some guy has them I can pretty much count on him shooting 130 and then telling me, "I just don't know what's wrong with me today, I normally shoot in the 80's." But like the others have said if you want to rock the iron covers that's up to you and no one else.

 

Push carts, on the other hand, are not hacker gear at all. I have one and so do several other very good players I play with. I don't like carrying my bag because I like big golf bags and I carry a lot of stuff with me. At the rate my course sells push carts I would have to say the general golfing public agrees with me.

post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post

As far as iron covers are concerned they are just a total waste of time and money. In addition, in my experience I have never seen anyone who wasn't a complete hack use them. They are just one of those things that if I show up on the first tee and some guy has them I can pretty much count on him shooting 130 and then telling me, "I just don't know what's wrong with me today, I normally shoot in the 80's." But like the others have said if you want to rock the iron covers that's up to you and no one else.

 

Push carts, on the other hand, are not hacker gear at all. I have one and so do several other very good players I play with. I don't like carrying my bag because I like big golf bags and I carry a lot of stuff with me. At the rate my course sells push carts I would have to say the general golfing public agrees with me.

I use iron covers, in fact, the only time my clubs don't have a cover on them, is if i'm playing a shot with it. I take the game very seriously, and play many club comps.

I also use a cart, here in FL, and when I go to the UK to visit friends and family I use a pull cart. I physically cannot carry my bag more than about six holes, due to a kneck/vertibre injury.

It doesn't make me a less of a golfer than someone that walks. IMO.

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by montru View Post

I use iron covers, in fact, the only time my clubs don't have a cover on them, is if i'm playing a shot with it.

 

I also use iron covers.   Primarily because I don't like the chatter of the clubs but also because I prefer to not nick up my clubs by having them banging on each other (especially the woods).  So to me, they are not a waste of money.   Regarding time, when I pull an iron, I put the cover in my pocket before the shot and put it back onto the iron on the way to the next shot, so there is no more time involved in using them than would be involved in not using them.  Almost everyone I know uses iron covers and many of those people consider shooting a 75 to have been a very bad day (I can only wish I had such a "bad day"), so my personal experience flies directly against that of NM Golf.

post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post

  Almost everyone I know uses iron covers and many of those people consider shooting a 75 to have been a very bad day (I can only wish I had such a "bad day"), so my personal experience flies directly against that of NM Golf.
Lets put it this way, when was the last time you saw any kind of touring pro use iron covers? How about a division I college player, or anyone competing in the US amateur, mid-am, senior am, or publinx or any other high level of competition? You will hard pressed to find anyone playing at a high level using iron covers. I have never even met a single digit handicapper using the things, maybe you have. Say what you want but they are used predominantly by hackers so they are hacker gear.
post #9 of 14
In my experience, those that use iron covers are turtles and putting those on after every shot just makes them slower.
post #10 of 14

Iron covers are perfect for the golfer who has everything he/she needs but still wants to buy more stuff. 

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 
Well I just got some covers today for my new clubs and yes I'm a hacker and all that, but I couldn't stand to hear the blessed things clanging away for 18 holes, plus there new clubs mp-59's
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamroper60 View Post

 

I also use iron covers.   Primarily because I don't like the chatter of the clubs but also because I prefer to not nick up my clubs by having them banging on each other (especially the woods).  So to me, they are not a waste of money.   Regarding time, when I pull an iron, I put the cover in my pocket before the shot and put it back onto the iron on the way to the next shot, so there is no more time involved in using them than would be involved in not using them.  Almost everyone I know uses iron covers and many of those people consider shooting a 75 to have been a very bad day (I can only wish I had such a "bad day"), so my personal experience flies directly against that of NM Golf.

++1 I agree on every point.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Golf View Post


Lets put it this way, when was the last time you saw any kind of touring pro use iron covers? How about a division I college player, or anyone competing in the US amateur, mid-am, senior am, or publinx or any other high level of competition? You will hard pressed to find anyone playing at a high level using iron covers. I have never even met a single digit handicapper using the things, maybe you have. Say what you want but they are used predominantly by hackers so they are hacker gear.
 

Most of the single digit players I know, both this side of the Atlantic and in the UK use covers.

post #14 of 14

Eh, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Granted for resale, having good looking irons is a good idea and the clacking is understandable. I find them a hassle. I do not like bulky things in my pocket or worrying about losing them. I don't play with blades or chromed clubs that nick up badly so it doesn't show much and since I do use a cart, they do not clack around much.

 

It all comes down to the ego. If it is something you do and think is cool, everyone else is a jackass for doing anything else. Let the nerds have their shiny quiet clubs... lol a3_biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Carts and covers