or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Most Annoying People On The...........Practice Green?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most Annoying People On The...........Practice Green? - Page 3

post #37 of 116
Do you putt during your round while listening to music?
post #38 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxGolfer1 View Post

Do you putt during your round while listening to music?

 

When playing alone, yes. Often I listen to music.

 

But let's just, for the hell of it, say no, I don't.  Still don't get your point. 

post #39 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

I think someone needs to chill out.  You start out by calling a guy a douche who obviously practices with a plan (and it doesn't mean a hoot that you don't agree with his plan), then you take offense when it's suggested that your reaction is a bit over the top.  For Pete's sake, it's the practice range.  Get over it. d2_doh.gif

I just don't understand... this whole thread is about annoying people at the practice range... if it bothers you that my comments are on topic, you get over it... find a different thread to pa-troll. 

post #40 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by divot dave View Post

I just don't understand... this whole thread is about annoying people at the practice range... if it bothers you that my comments are on topic, you get over it... find a different thread to pa-troll. 

I believe what intrigues Turtleback, Newtogolf, fourputt, (and myself) is how you define the word "bothers."  For something to bother me (and I'm guessing most people) it also has to affect me.  A guy practicing slowly on the other side of the range in nice clothes isn't affecting me one bit, so its impossible for it to bother me.  There is no way that his dressing nice or practicing with a plan is affecting you, so calling him a douche is rude and offensive.  (Especially considering some of us on here are like that guy.  I do most of my practice during my lunch hour at work so I am always dressed nice(ish at least) and I always practice with a plan as well.)

 

Now, if you added that the range was packed and you were waiting for a stall and he was taking his sweet time oblivious of the fact that he was AFFECTING other people, then you might have a point.

 

Of course, this thread is about annoying people on the practice GREEN so it could be argued that your comments are actually off topic. c2_beer.gif

 

Merry Christmas!!

post #41 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by divot dave View Post

I just don't understand... this whole thread is about annoying people at the practice range... if it bothers you that my comments are on topic, you get over it... find a different thread to pa-troll. 

I believe what intrigues Turtleback, Newtogolf, fourputt, (and myself) is how you define the word "bothers."  For something to bother me (and I'm guessing most people) it also has to affect me.  A guy practicing slowly on the other side of the range in nice clothes isn't affecting me one bit, so its impossible for it to bother me.  There is no way that his dressing nice or practicing with a plan is affecting you, so calling him a douche is rude and offensive.  (Especially considering some of us on here are like that guy.  I do most of my practice during my lunch hour at work so I am always dressed nice(ish at least) and I always practice with a plan as well.)

 

Now, if you added that the range was packed and you were waiting for a stall and he was taking his sweet time oblivious of the fact that he was AFFECTING other people, then you might have a point.

 

Of course, this thread is about annoying people on the practice GREEN so it could be argued that your comments are actually off topic. c2_beer.gif

 

Merry Christmas!!

 

To bother most people, a person has to be doing something obnoxious, which the guy Divot Dave is upset with is clearly not doing.  He is simply going about his business in a way which works for him and shouldn't intrude on anyone else's territory.   Apparently Dave is more sensitive than most, to get so upset about it that he calls the guy a "douche", which then brings to question whether he is in fact sensitive at all, as that is a fairly insensitive appellation.  In fact Dave doesn't appear to be sensitive so much as he is touchy (or maybe prickly is the word I'm after), and subsequently prone to overreacting.  Now I'm done "patrolling". c2_beer.gif

post #42 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

To bother most people, a person has to be doing something obnoxious, which the guy Divot Dave is upset with is clearly not doing.  He is simply going about his business in a way which works for him and shouldn't intrude on anyone else's territory.   Apparently Dave is more sensitive than most, to get so upset about it that he calls the guy a "douche", which then brings to question whether he is in fact sensitive at all, as that is a fairly insensitive appellation.  In fact Dave doesn't appear to be sensitive so much as he is touchy (or maybe prickly is the word I'm after), and subsequently prone to overreacting.  Now I'm done "patrolling". c2_beer.gif

ho... ly... cow

ok now that the professionals have universally defined for the masses what it means to be bothered, can you all refrain from further thread jacking and get back on topic?

seriously all this nitpicking over my comment that someone seemed rather douchey is... rather douchey... but that's just my opinion, and apparently there's no room for that on this thread

cheers!
merry Christmas!
post #43 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by divot dave View Post


ho... ly... cow
ok now that the professionals have universally defined for the masses what it means to be bothered, can you all refrain from further thread jacking and get back on topic?
seriously all this nitpicking over my comment that someone seemed rather douchey is... rather douchey... but that's just my opinion, and apparently there's no room for that on this thread
cheers!
merry Christmas!


Actually, the only things that are douchey in this thread are your posts. 

post #44 of 116

The person on the driving range whose divots fly so far to the right or the left that that hit you in the next bay over
 

post #45 of 116
What if the most annoying guy at the range is you???? :)

Regards

Mailman
post #46 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I can honestly say that I have never encountered an annoying character at a practice green.  (Maybe that means I don't practice my putting enough! a2_wink.gif)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

What if the most annoying guy at the range is you???? :)

LOL!  This plus my first post in this thread (above) reminds me of a quote about poker:  "If, after the first 20 minutes, you don't know who the sucker is at the table, then it's you." b2_tongue.gif

 

Oops, my apologies to all who have to share a practice green with me. c2_beer.gif

post #47 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post


Actually, the only things that are douchey in this thread are your posts. 

z8_offtopic.gif

 

season's greetings

post #48 of 116

My course has the only public practice facility in the city of 7 million. Can get crowded but costs some money to get the course. Lately the kids are playing and warming up, practicing chips and putts. Don\' mind the kids generally but do not like the running over the practice green with the spiky shoes.  A bit rambunctious for me and not good for the surface.  Many adults also do not know how to walk with the spiky shoes, either. 

post #49 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

,,,Of course, this thread is about annoying people on the practice GREEN so it could be argued that your comments are actually off topic. c2_beer.gif

 

Merry Christmas!!

 

When you read the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread, you will see that my comment which you have such a hard time comprehending is actually on topic. 

 

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Shanks View Post

There's been many threads(on this site and others) about the most annoying people on the course, but what about on the practice facilities?
I seem to be most annoyed on the practice greens.
How about the guy who brings a large bucket of range balls and seems to be only working on getting it within 30 feet of the pin?
Or the guy that's using 20 balls to work on 4 footers and after the third putt, builds a wall in front of the cup and proceeds to just ricochet balls off one another?
 

 

Gentlemen, I've enjoyed the friendly banter thus far, however, I will digress with this reiteration....

 

I never claimed to have an issue with his or anyone else's good practice habits (which clearly this guy had as his swing was very impressive). Rather it was the combination of of his showing up to a junk driving range decked out in his best Rickie Fowler costume along with the overly frequent breaks to refuel on his snacks after every 10 swings as if he ran the risk of energy depletion on a medium sized bucket of balls. 

Did he interfere with mine or anyone else's practice? no. Was he loud or obnoxious? Other than his dress, no. Did he break rules or abuse the practice facility in a way that would inhibit the normal use of the practice facility by anyone else? no. So, in accordance with the universal definition of what "bothered" means, previously laid out in great and scholarly detail in this very thread... I would have to say that he was not bothering me.... However, I still maintain, that the whole scene rubbed me as looking rather douchey. This is a personal opinion, and by way of permission granted me earlier in this thread, I reserve the right to put forth my own personal opinion, especially in a thread that essentially asks for other's personal opinions.

 

10 times out of 10 times I will consider a scene like the one at the driving range to be douchey. Just as I would consider the guy at the basketball court decked out from head to toe in a matching adidas uniform and gold chains as if its 1985 again, rather douchey. Just as I would consider the high top fade, tight jeans (on guys), mullets, jeri curls and 30 year olds who still live with their parents, rather douchey. Just as I consider the opinions of hypocrites who think too highly of themselves and make it their personal crusade to nitpick over non-issues, to be rather douchey. Perhaps this is just a character flaw of mine, but its probably not gonna change. So, if my douchey posts in this thread have bothered anyone, or infringed on anyone's ability to participate in this thread, then, sorry... 

post #50 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by divot dave View Post

When you read the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread, you will see that my comment which you have such a hard time comprehending is actually on topic. 

Yeah, I saw that too.  What happens after awhile though, is that you don't go back and re-read the entire thread, you just read the last post or two and you always see the title.  My apologies for incorrectly declaring you off-topic.  However ...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by divot dave View Post

Did he interfere with mine or anyone else's practice? no. Was he loud or obnoxious? Other than his dress, no. Did he break rules or abuse the practice facility in a way that would inhibit the normal use of the practice facility by anyone else? no. So, in accordance with the universal definition of what "bothered" means, previously laid out in great and scholarly detail in this very thread... I would have to say that he was not bothering me.... However, I still maintain, that the whole scene rubbed me as looking rather douchey. This is a personal opinion, and by way of permission granted me earlier in this thread, I reserve the right to put forth my own personal opinion, especially in a thread that essentially asks for other's personal opinions. 

 

... Just as I consider the opinions of hypocrites who think too highly of themselves and make it their personal crusade to nitpick over non-issues, to be rather douchey. Perhaps this is just a character flaw of mine, but its probably not gonna change. So, if my douchey posts in this thread have bothered anyone, or infringed on anyone's ability to participate in this thread, then, sorry... 

It seems awfully ironic to call us "hypocrites who think too highly of themselves and make it their personal crusade to nit-pick over non-issues" just because we question your calling somebody a douche for dressing nice and NOT bothering you at a driving range.  I mean, we have the exact same right to post our opinions of your opinions in this thread as you have of ours, don't we?  Otherwise, you're being just as hypocritical as anybody else.

 

And to 'nit-pick' some more g2_eek.gif... I think the word 'douche' is a little harsh.  That might be another reason why others are so opinionated.  To me, that word (which I don't care for, or use) falls into the category of words I'd use for people who actually are bothering me.  (Jerk, a#$hole, etc)  If you'd have gone a less offensive route, (read: poser) I doubt that many would have batted an eye.

 

And, no, your posts aren't infringing anything ... they're just seeds for a debate.  That's a good thing on a forum, wouldn't you say?

post #51 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman View Post

What if the most annoying guy at the range is you???? :)
Regards
Mailman


   That brings to mind a saying I heard about fishing on charter boats. " If you don't see "that guy" on the boat it is probably you

post #52 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by divot dave View Post

z8_offtopic.gif

 

season's greetings

 

Ah, but your posts calling other people's posts douchey are On-topic?  Engage in hypocrisy much?  LOL

 

Besides the only person's opinion on off-topic that count are iacas's.

post #53 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

 

Ah, but your posts calling other people's posts douchey are On-topic?  Engage in hypocrisy much?  LOL

 

Besides the only person's opinion on off-topic that count are iacas's.

 

Not true. You guys seem to be pointing this out. I've just skimmed, so all I have to contribute here is this: read the first post, and that's the topic. If you're talking about who is or isn't a douchebag (anyone), that's probably off topic unless douchebag is a synonym for the annoying people on the practice green, which given the title, I would imagine is the topic. :)

 

P.S. Plus, mvmac is an owner too. :)

 

P.P.S. If anyone posts something that, by skimming, trips the "may be off topic" sensor, and is determined by Mike or myself to be off topic after this post, they can spend a day in the penalty box. How's that? :)

post #54 of 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by divot dave View Post

 

When you read the very first sentence of the very first post of this thread, you will see that my comment which you have such a hard time comprehending is actually on topic. 

 

 


 

 

Gentlemen, I've enjoyed the friendly banter thus far, however, I will digress with this reiteration....

 

I never claimed to have an issue with his or anyone else's good practice habits (which clearly this guy had as his swing was very impressive). Rather it was the combination of of his showing up to a junk driving range decked out in his best Rickie Fowler costume along with the overly frequent breaks to refuel on his snacks after every 10 swings as if he ran the risk of energy depletion on a medium sized bucket of balls. 

Did he interfere with mine or anyone else's practice? no. Was he loud or obnoxious? Other than his dress, no. Did he break rules or abuse the practice facility in a way that would inhibit the normal use of the practice facility by anyone else? no. So, in accordance with the universal definition of what "bothered" means, previously laid out in great and scholarly detail in this very thread... I would have to say that he was not bothering me.... However, I still maintain, that the whole scene rubbed me as looking rather douchey. This is a personal opinion, and by way of permission granted me earlier in this thread, I reserve the right to put forth my own personal opinion, especially in a thread that essentially asks for other's personal opinions.

 

10 times out of 10 times I will consider a scene like the one at the driving range to be douchey. Just as I would consider the guy at the basketball court decked out from head to toe in a matching adidas uniform and gold chains as if its 1985 again, rather douchey. Just as I would consider the high top fade, tight jeans (on guys), mullets, jeri curls and 30 year olds who still live with their parents, rather douchey. Just as I consider the opinions of hypocrites who think too highly of themselves and make it their personal crusade to nitpick over non-issues, to be rather douchey. Perhaps this is just a character flaw of mine, but its probably not gonna change. So, if my douchey posts in this thread have bothered anyone, or infringed on anyone's ability to participate in this thread, then, sorry... 

 

Not really wanting to jump in the middle of this battle, but for me it comes down to shot quality and humor!

 

If someone shows up at the range as you desribed and hits it like a 10 handicap or worse I guess I find humor in that. They literally make me laugh, sometimes out loud. There's no reason to feel anger towards someone like this, they obviuosly enjoy the game enough to buy expensive equipment and support the golf industry and that's a good thing. If they show up all dressed up and can actually hit the ball then I enjoy watching them swing and there is a level of respect there because I know they have dedicated time and energy into the game as I have.

 

I am no snazzy dresser by any means. I always wear solid color dockers/haggar slacks with a basic solid color polo tucked in and a black belt. Nothing fancy at all but there are plenty of times I'll go to the range and be overdressed compared to others. Ocassionaly I'll get a look from a guy in jeans and a tee shirt but who cares. I wear what I wear because it's what is most comfortable to hit balls in. It doesn't mean I don't own or wear jeans all the time. I just don't like hitting balls in them. Besides, I go to the range to hit balls and work on my game, not to see who's wearing the latest Nike TW or Puma RF outfits lol!!! 

 

Bottom line for me in judging someone is shot quality. I don't care if you wear jeans and a wife-beater or dress like Ricky Fowler, if you hit the ball great then I'm going to respect your game. And for the hackers that dress up, I might be chuckling at them inside but I still appreciate their love and support of the game.  

 

As far as actual practice on the range I guess I would fall into your "douchey" category because I know one of the worst things for my swing is to machine gun a large bucket in record time. During the winter season I hit the Golf Dome twice a week. I get two buckets and it takes me about 2 hours to go through them. I don't take snacks,,lol but I do work hard on my swing and go through a series of drills that take time to properly execute. Most people I see go through a bucket at a faster firing rate than a M249 Squad Assault Weapon,,lol! Then wonder why they never get better!

 

I'm also that guy that wears headphones at the range (and sometimes on the practice green if I'm going to be there for an extended period of time). Especially at the Golf Dome because sound tends to carry in there and there is a group of 5-6 retired gentlemen that are there every day. They are quite entertaining because they will each machine gun 10-15 balls then huddle together and discuss there vast infinite knowledge on how "Hogan" did it, then break huddle, machine gun 10-15 more balls and huddle back up. It's fun to watch but I'd rather put on some Pink Floyd and get lost in my own practice!

 

So I guess I should appologize for being so "douchey" wearing comfortable clothes and working hard on my game to keep it at a scratch level!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Most Annoying People On The...........Practice Green?