or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 - NFL Playoffs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 - NFL Playoffs - Page 7

post #109 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

 

The line was set for only after the kickoff so those don't count towards my 21.5 call b2_tongue.gif

Looks like the under was a solid bet, there were more shots of him before the game than during.

post #110 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by meenman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan1983 View Post

 

The line was set for only after the kickoff so those don't count towards my 21.5 call b2_tongue.gif

Looks like the under was a solid bet, there were more shots of him before the game than during.

 

Yea, and being that I thought the Pats would dominate, I didn't think there would be 5-10 cuts to the Ravens sideline in the final five minutes.

 

PS- Sorry for doubting you, Balt. 

 

30-26 SF in the Super Bowl though is my call.

post #111 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

I dont have a dog in this fight being a Niner fan, but do not discount the Ray Lewis emotion factor. If the Pats and Ravens played a 7 game series, I'd say Pats everytime. But one game, possibly Ray Ray's last???? I think this game is gonna be alot closer than people think, maybe even a Ravens win.

That's why they play the game. See you in two weeks for the Har-Bowl or Super-Baugh or whatever catchy name they decide on
post #112 of 137

Well, I missed half my call.  I thought the Patriots would win.   Baltimore played a great game.   I don't know as I think they can stop Kapernick but I'll be curious to see how they defend him with 2 weeks to prepare.

post #113 of 137

I got every game right in the NFC playoffs, and I missed every game in the AFC.  Thought that the Ravens luck would eventually run out.  Surprised they got passed Cincinnati, then the Broncos choke job, and now the Patriots.  There seems to be a higher power at work here.  The Ravens are a solid team but I didn't imagine this at all when the playoffs started.  I was convinced of the Harbaugh Bowl last year, not this year. 

 

I think the 49ers are gonna win, but since I have been wrong about the Ravens all playoffs I have no clue.  Just wondering how mommy Harbaugh is going to feel on Feb 3rd?  If it were me and my brother (golfingdad) and I won, I would be taunting him at every chance I got for the rest of our lives.

post #114 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

 

I think the 49ers are gonna win, but since I have been wrong about the Ravens all playoffs I have no clue.  Just wondering how mommy Harbaugh is going to feel on Feb 3rd?  If it were me and my brother (golfingdad) and I won, I would be taunting him at every chance I got for the rest of our lives.

 

Well since both are playing for their FIRST Super Bowl ring, I would probably do the same. 

 

I think the Niners on both sides of the ball did a great job of making adjustments. Mike Nolan probably expected a lot more read option plays and forgot that SF had a great running game as well as Vernon Davis. 

 

As for the Pats-Ravens game, I went to play "dad" so I didn't watch the game, but when I checked the scores in the 4th quarter, I was surprised. Also, did anyone else notice that in both games, that the home teams were shut out in the second half? 

post #115 of 137

Ummm, didn't the Ravens basically win on a vicious helmet first hit on Ridley that caused a concusion and a fumble, but should have drawn a flag, a fine, and a suspension???? I don't get it - that safety is causing more injuries than drunk drivers on holiday...

post #116 of 137

You realize that helmet to helmet hits are legal on ball carriers? I also assume you have watched the video and seen that Ridley is the one that lowers his head?

 

The real question is why Bellicheck didn't sign Bernard Pollard.  It would be worth it just to protect your players.....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

Ummm, didn't the Ravens basically win on a vicious helmet first hit on Ridley that caused a concusion and a fumble, but should have drawn a flag, a fine, and a suspension???? I don't get it - that safety is causing more injuries than drunk drivers on holiday...

post #117 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

Ummm, didn't the Ravens basically win on a vicious helmet first hit on Ridley that caused a concusion and a fumble, but should have drawn a flag, a fine, and a suspension???? I don't get it - that safety is causing more injuries than drunk drivers on holiday...

They were still down by 8 or 15 at that point, weren't they? (I don't have the drive chart in front of me). Anyway, that one was legal, as x129 said. Some of the hits on Welker I'd like to think not, but they're certainly not the reason the Ravens won.

It was certainly an odd game in that if I told you beforehand that Ray Rice would be held to 48 yards and the Ravens wouldn't complete a single bomb to Smith or Boldin, you probably would have taken the Pats and the points, right? That's been their entire offense this year. But credit where it's due, Flacco played his ass off and they took exactly what the Pats' defense was giving them, 8-yard underneath passes. Would I like to think the game would have been different if Talib hadn't gotten injured? Sure. I was ecstatic when they traded for him that I wouldn't have to watch Kyle Arrington play on the outside anymore. But even that probably wasn't a 15-point difference.
post #118 of 137

Talib was shutting down Boldin before he got hurt so it's possible the game would have been different had he not been injured. 

 

The real issue imo was Brady and/or  the Ravens defense.  Brady doesn't like to get hit (no QB does) but it seems to take him out of his game more than other top QB's.  Obviously not having Gronk was a factor too as he draws a lot of attention. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


They were still down by 8 or 15 at that point, weren't they? (I don't have the drive chart in front of me). Anyway, that one was legal, as x129 said. Some of the hits on Welker I'd like to think not, but they're certainly not the reason the Ravens won.

It was certainly an odd game in that if I told you beforehand that Ray Rice would be held to 48 yards and the Ravens wouldn't complete a single bomb to Smith or Boldin, you probably would have taken the Pats and the points, right? That's been their entire offense this year. But credit where it's due, Flacco played his ass off and they took exactly what the Pats' defense was giving them, 8-yard underneath passes. Would I like to think the game would have been different if Talib hadn't gotten injured? Sure. I was ecstatic when they traded for him that I wouldn't have to watch Kyle Arrington play on the outside anymore. But even that probably wasn't a 15-point difference.
post #119 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Talib was shutting down Boldin before he got hurt so it's possible the game would have been different had he not been injured. 

The real issue imo was Brady and/or  the Ravens defense.  Brady doesn't like to get hit (no QB does) but it seems to take him out of his game more than other top QB's.  Obviously not having Gronk was a factor too as he draws a lot of attention. 

Brady always pouts when he gets hit - he's been spoiled and slapped around less than most QBs. If anyone should be fined, it should probably be tommy boy for trying to spike a defender with his shoes, or maybe he is just that unatheletic.

Bottom line is Flacco showed us that he was better than even he claimed to be when they put the ball in his hands and at the end of the day, the fans think offense is sexy, but defense is still what wins championships.
post #120 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by x129 View Post

You realize that helmet to helmet hits are legal on ball carriers? I also assume you have watched the video and seen that Ridley is the one that lowers his head?

 

The real question is why Bellicheck didn't sign Bernard Pollard.  It would be worth it just to protect your players.....

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

Ummm, didn't the Ravens basically win on a vicious helmet first hit on Ridley that caused a concusion and a fumble, but should have drawn a flag, a fine, and a suspension???? I don't get it - that safety is causing more injuries than drunk drivers on holiday...

I saw the replays, and Pollard launched leading with the crown of his helmet. Ridley ducked his head as a defensive instinct, otherwise he probably would have been hit in the jaw or throat by the top of Pollard's helmet. I have seen flags and fines for much more dubious h-h contact.

post #121 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

I saw the replays, and Pollard launched leading with the crown of his helmet. Ridley ducked his head as a defensive instinct, otherwise he probably would have been hit in the jaw or throat by the top of Pollard's helmet. I have seen flags and fines for much more dubious h-h contact.

I think it is all opinion, because I saw Ridley trying to use his helmet as a weapon - kind of reminds me of Dennis Byrd years ago who was paralyzed when he was more than likely the guilty party.

post #122 of 137

So no fines for Tom Brady purposely trying to kick Ed Reed in his nads twice???? QB's are almost untouchable, but pretty boy Tom gets his panties in a bunch because he dosen't have a comfortable pocket. He resorts to bush-league antics?

 

And dont get me started on Welker's wife. d1_bigcry.gif

 

 

Stat Classy New England

post #123 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

So no fines for Tom Brady purposely trying to kick Ed Reed in his nads twice???? QB's are almost untouchable, but pretty boy Tom gets his panties in a bunch because he dosen't have a comfortable pocket. He resorts to bush-league antics?

I agree, Brady should be fined. In soccer it would have been a red card, mainly because he could have hurt the other player. Ed Reed had slowed down because he knew Brady was going to slide and then Brady stuck his foot out and deliberately kicked him.
post #124 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Talib was shutting down Boldin before he got hurt so it's possible the game would have been different had he not been injured. 

 

The real issue imo was Brady and/or  the Ravens defense.  Brady doesn't like to get hit (no QB does) but it seems to take him out of his game more than other top QB's.  Obviously not having Gronk was a factor too as he draws a lot of attention. 

But he didn't get hit that much.  It was more of the Ravens doing a great job eliminating the crossing routes.  The times Brady ran were because nobody was open.  Ravens had a great game plan for that.  Without Gronk, the Pats offense did not match up well against the Ravens D.  Kudos to Harbaugh.

 

Changing the tempo in the second half really helped too.  Without Talib, Love and Chung, Flacco had a lot of time to throw.  He got smart and stopped trying the downfield throws, which were getting affected by the wind.

 

Better team won.

post #125 of 137

I saw him get knocked down a bit.  The Pats are at their toughest when they run the no huddle and keep the pressure on the defense.  I don't know what the parameters are for when they employ it, but it seems to work well when they do. 

 

Ravens are tough, especially on defense and I think they knew without having to worry about Gronk they matched up better.  I also believe Ravens were more emotionally motivated in they want to win for Ray Lewis before he retires. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogielicious View Post

But he didn't get hit that much.  It was more of the Ravens doing a great job eliminating the crossing routes.  The times Brady ran were because nobody was open.  Ravens had a great game plan for that.  Without Gronk, the Pats offense did not match up well against the Ravens D.  Kudos to Harbaugh.

 

Changing the tempo in the second half really helped too.  Without Talib, Love and Chung, Flacco had a lot of time to throw.  He got smart and stopped trying the downfield throws, which were getting affected by the wind.

 

Better team won.

post #126 of 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

The real issue imo was Brady and/or  the Ravens defense.  Brady doesn't like to get hit (no QB does) but it seems to take him out of his game more than other top QB's.  Obviously not having Gronk was a factor too as he draws a lot of attention. 

The Ravens played airtight coverage and got pressure up the middle. Blueprint for beating anybody, really, but especially the Patriots. Not having Gronk was big, he's such a big target that Brady can find him even when the coverage is right on him.

And I just got déjà vu, I'm almost positive I wrote that exact paragraph after last year's Super Bowl. I'll find that when I get to my computer.

All I can say is the Ravens played better. Oh well. At least two UDel alums are in the Super Bowl. Not every day that happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTheSavage View Post

And dont get me started on Welker's wife. d1_bigcry.gif

I'll take Anna Welker over Gisele's whining any day.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sports
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The 19th Hole › Sports › 2013 - NFL Playoffs