or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Advice on attending a PGA tournament live.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on attending a PGA tournament live. - Page 2

post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Too funny. Thanks guys! I will definitely swap the water and the beer, lol.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUTiger View Post

If the weather's hot, make sure you drink plenty of water the night before, and some more water enroute to the course. You want to build up a little water reserve in your system. Be sure to drink water on course, and possible some sports drink after a few hours.

This! I've been to the AT&T National twice and going to the US Open this year. I definitely agree with picking a spot between a few holes and just going back and forth. If you try and chase the leaders you don't see much golf.
post #21 of 29

One viewing technique I've enjoyed a few time is to work the course backwards, going against the grain from the crowd flow that is following the golfers.   You really get to see a lot of golf from most of the field, and you'll find yourself with better viewing positions for the really popular players.    For example, when Tiger and Phil were paired together at Torrey, you can imagine the huge crowd that was following them around, but when I'd let them come to me I'd be right at the edge of the ropes in a prime spot.    After circumnavigating the course backwards and seeing everyone, I also got a better feel for where some of the great action was most likely to happen and then I'd go back and park there for awhile.

post #22 of 29

1.  Bring a truckload of money

 

2.  Be respectful - keep mindful of other people, the players and being still at the right times....yeah, I know this is a given, but you'd be surprised that some people forget the basics.....

 

3.  On Thursday, pick a fun group early, follow them, and camp at 17 for a while once you get there.....enjoy a couple of beers and have fun.....I loved hanging on 17....

 

4.  If you go to the WGHOF, go play the King and the Bear.....if you don't want to go that far sounth, I'd go play St Johns Golf and CC....I love that course...

 

5.  There is a great Thai place a few miles north of the course the Players, I would highly recommend it.....there is a great place downtown called the Cellar I think, nicer, but great food and wine....

 

6.  The course is awesome and easy to walk, enjoy yourself and good luck....

 

7.  If you are thinking of playing a course or two and have questions, shoot me a PM.......I played most of them when I lived there, happy to help....

post #23 of 29

I went to the 2012 Canadian Open 2012 this year at Hamilton GC on the Tuesday and spent most of my time on the range.  I absolutely loved watching these guys prepare on the range.  I loved to see what each player was working on with drills, training aids, etc etc.  I learnt a TON just watching the players on the range.

 

Definitely slot out a good amount of time to watch these guys on the range.  You WILL be in awe...

post #24 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhunter139 View Post


This! I've been to the AT&T National twice and going to the US Open this year. I definitely agree with picking a spot between a few holes and just going back and forth. If you try and chase the leaders you don't see much golf.

I marshalled at the ATT at Aronimink and am doing the same for the Open at Merion. Can't wait. Nothing like being inside the ropes.

post #25 of 29
Thread Starter 
So much great advice. Many thanks to all!
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

I marshalled at the ATT at Aronimink and am doing the same for the Open at Merion. Can't wait. Nothing like being inside the ropes.

 

That's awesome, Aronimink is an awesome course.  I liked going there better than Congressional, but that might be because last year was so damn hot! I went on Sunday after that big storm and the heat was killer.  

post #27 of 29

A cool thing that I saw at the tour event shows what gentlemen these guys are. 

 

There was a teenager with a disability, perhaps autistic, who was upset and suddenly started yelling out while the pros were teeing off. The kid's parents were doing the best they could to quiet him down and get him away so as not to distract he players. They all teed off, and while walking to their ball 2 of them went over to the kid, greeted him, and tried to help calm him down. They also gave him an autographed ball.

 

One of the coolest things I've ever seen a pro athlete do.

post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artimas View Post

A cool thing that I saw at the tour event shows what gentlemen these guys are. 

 

There was a teenager with a disability, perhaps autistic, who was upset and suddenly started yelling out while the pros were teeing off. The kid's parents were doing the best they could to quiet him down and get him away so as not to distract he players. They all teed off, and while walking to their ball 2 of them went over to the kid, greeted him, and tried to help calm him down. They also gave him an autographed ball.

 

One of the coolest things I've ever seen a pro athlete do.

 

I wish more guys on the tour were this way. Many are really great with fans, but there are a few that really aren't. When I was younger, I tried to get an autograph from Glen ("All") Day, and he pushed me out of the way. 

post #29 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Perm View Post

1.  Bring a truckload of money

 

2.  Be respectful - keep mindful of other people, the players and being still at the right times....yeah, I know this is a given, but you'd be surprised that some people forget the basics.....

 

3.  On Thursday, pick a fun group early, follow them, and camp at 17 for a while once you get there.....enjoy a couple of beers and have fun.....I loved hanging on 17....

 

4.  If you go to the WGHOF, go play the King and the Bear.....if you don't want to go that far sounth, I'd go play St Johns Golf and CC....I love that course...

 

5.  There is a great Thai place a few miles north of the course the Players, I would highly recommend it.....there is a great place downtown called the Cellar I think, nicer, but great food and wine....

 

6.  The course is awesome and easy to walk, enjoy yourself and good luck....

 

7.  If you are thinking of playing a course or two and have questions, shoot me a PM.......I played most of them when I lived there, happy to help....

+1 on St Johns. Great course to play.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Advice on attending a PGA tournament live.