or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Discussion Thread - Page 15

post #253 of 292

Turtle: this is true.  IMO the key to Tiger's success has always been his scrambling and brilliant, creative short game.  It has never been driving accuracy.  I think he has higher expectations of his driving now which can be more frustrating on a day like today than it would have been years ago.

post #254 of 292
I don't think the rough ending from Tiger is a true reflection on his game, he said himself at the end that he lost patience and concentration because if the slow play, I think anyone would do that. He got himself into a great position after 3.5 days so he could finish the job.
post #255 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleback View Post

 

Really???  So being 5th in total driving for 2012 and, overall, driving as good or better this week isn't even close to the average players drive?  Seriously?

 

Don;t you think you are setting the bar a little higher (like about 20 feet) for Tiger than anyone else?  What does he have to do to get his "driver [was even] close to the average player's driver" in your eyes?  Lead the tour in bot distance AND accuracy?

 

Also, he can't win majors the way he is driving?  Actually he has had several years where he wasn't driving it nearly as well as he is now when he won multiple majors.

 

2012  Stats don't tell the entire story

 

Tiger failed on the weekend in 2012 in important tournaments.

 

Why? Who knows?

 

GIR seems fairly low  - all the time? Doubt it. It seemed Tiger had very good days and then very bad days - for him.

 

Do we expect more from Tiger? Yes. With his length this week, he could smooth it out and do less lashing and land in more fairways or be in less trouble. When he smoothed it out with a push draw, he was still long and relatively safe. I think, when he put more juice into his swing, his path and face angle were off. That's only from looking at slo mo of some of his swings regarding path - yep, I'm guessing. I think it's a mental thing with Tiger. When you hear Tiger stories from people in the know, you hear great on the range with driver, but less so on the course. I think he is unable to calm his emotions and gets keyed up. It's his one flaw - his emotions - he is not calm inside - he burns. He is so competitive and expects so much from himself - it's tough for him to deal with less than almost perfect.

 

He has 75 wins. and 14 majors and mid-30s is usually prime for majors. Too bad he lost 3 prime years. But he's Tiger. If anyone can make them up, he can.

 

 

 

 

Driving Distance

297.4 35th Tot. Dist. - 39,856 Tot. Drvs. - 134
Driving Accuracy Percentage 63.93% 53rd Fwys Hit - 599 Poss. Fwys - 937
Greens in Regulation Percentage 67.58% 32nd Greens Hit - 815 # Holes - 1,206
 

Edited by Mr. Desmond - 1/29/13 at 9:24am
post #256 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Horses for courses. Tiger has 22 of his 75 PGA Tour wins at three tracks. Torrey Pines, Bay Hill and Firestone.


And?  That still leaves 53 wins at other places?

post #257 of 292

The thing that gets me when watching the first three holes of his last round was that even when he had really, really bad tee shots (for a pro) off the first and third holes was that he still had clear approach shots to the greens! You know your game is in a good place when even your really bad shots end up being better than 99.999% of the worlds golfers really, really good shots! :)

 

Regards

 

Mailman

post #258 of 292

It seems like the pro's that are using the new Nike woods are struggling with them.  I am not sure why that is, maybe they are still getting used to them? It would be fun if Tiger can make a nice year of it though. 

post #259 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

It seems like the pro's that are using the new Nike woods are struggling with them.  I am not sure why that is, maybe they are still getting used to them? It would be fun if Tiger can make a nice year of it though. 

Tiger is using the old Nike woods.

post #260 of 292

Tiger makes rough estimate of $6,621.00 every hour of the day so those slow players owe him roughly $10,000.00

post #261 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

It seems like the pro's that are using the new Nike woods are struggling with them.  I am not sure why that is, maybe they are still getting used to them? It would be fun if Tiger can make a nice year of it though. 

 

Tiger is using older woods.

 

Also, Nick Watney who just went over to Nike this year is using all of the new gear and finished T4 this past weekend.

post #262 of 292

Ah OK,  I thought the color looked the same on the top of the club so I was not sure.  I hope Rory can figure them out quickly, because it would be fun to see him and Tiger go at it this season. 

post #263 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

The guy has 75 PGA Tour wins... And plays a limited schedule every year.  Of course his wins are going to be piling up at the same event when you start hitting those kind of win totals, combined with the way he plays his annual schedule.

It wasn't being critical. Just pointing out the facts. I don't care how limited a schedule he plays, he still has minimum requirements of play on the Tour and it is almost a third of his wins.

post #264 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Ah OK,  I thought the color looked the same on the top of the club so I was not sure.  I hope Rory can figure them out quickly, because it would be fun to see him and Tiger go at it this season. 

 

He'll be fine.  Last year he had a stretch of poor golf sandwiched in between two stretches of amazing golf.  

post #265 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

It wasn't being critical. Just pointing out the facts. I don't care how limited a schedule he plays, he still has minimum requirements of play on the Tour and it is almost a third of his wins.

 

 

so whats your point?  is a win not a win?

post #266 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

It wasn't being critical. Just pointing out the facts. I don't care how limited a schedule he plays, he still has minimum requirements of play on the Tour and it is almost a third of his wins.

 

 

so whats your point?  is a win not a win?

 

Maybe I missed something that you read into his statement, but I took his point to be simply that Tiger plays better at certain courses.  (Almost a third of his total wins have come on 3 courses. Since he's played at more than 9 different courses, that is a disproportionate amount of wins on those 3. Hence he plays better at those 3, for whatever reason.)

post #267 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacm3bill View Post

 

Maybe I missed something that you read into his statement, but I took his point to be simply that Tiger plays better at certain courses.  (Almost a third of his total wins have come on 3 courses. Since he's played at more than 9 different courses, that is a disproportionate amount of wins on those 3. Hence he plays better at those 3, for whatever reason.)

I don't think there is anyone arguing... There are courses that I like better than others that I play.  And there are courses that I feel like I can score on better than others too.  Its the same for the tour players.

post #268 of 292

right.  i guess my point is that his success at a small number of courses doesnt make them any less valid, which is the "tone" that i got from the other poster.

post #269 of 292
The phrase "horses for courses" implies that he's not the best golfer, he's just the best at playing those courses. I'd say that Tiger's 50 or so other wins weakens the argument slightly.
post #270 of 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-troop View Post

The phrase "horses for courses" implies that he's not the best golfer, he's just the best at playing those courses. I'd say that Tiger's 50 or so other wins weakens the argument slightly.

This, this 1000%.  That phrase is exactly why I took exception to the original comment.

 

Off the top of my head, I think that phrase might fairly apply to somebody like Mark O Meara.  He's had some-odd-teen wins in his career and something like 5 or 6 of them at Pebble Beach.  But not a guy like Tiger.  Unless you are also going to use it for Jack at Augusta, and Sam Snead at wherever that tournament was played that he won 8 times, among others. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › 2013 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Discussion Thread