or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Handicap versus Clubhead Speed/Driving Distance
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Handicap versus Clubhead Speed/Driving Distance - Page 3

post #37 of 125
If Titleist was actually trying to promote buying its new distance ball, it would make much more sense for the graph to show the correlation between average driving distance and handicap.

If the chart showed a direct correlation between Average Driving Distance and Handicap Index, I could see it being used as a marketing tool for selling a distance ball. But that's not what this graph shows. Also, what percentage of said + index golfers use a distance ball like the Velocity? I'd wager almost none.
post #38 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I think he must be incorrectly assuming that since OP has a Titleist logo as his avatar that he must be from the company.  (Not too far fetched, considering the other "jumps to conclusions" he made that Myrtle pointed out above)

Can I change my avatar to Nicole aniston?
post #39 of 125
Not to mention that a distance ball has zero effect on actual swing speed, it just goes farther due to its design.
post #40 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_14424 View Post

Can I change my avatar to Nicole aniston?

YES YOU MAY!
post #41 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_14424 View Post


Can I change my avatar to Nicole aniston?

Please do.g2_eek.gif

 

Sorry ... what I meant to say was ... I don't know who that is. b2_tongue.gif

post #42 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_14424 View Post

Can I change my avatar to Nicole aniston?

 

No objections here so long as it's still.... PG-ish.

post #43 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_14424 View Post


Can I change my avatar to Nicole aniston?

After a little google investigation I concur with general sentiment expressed in this matter.

 

Furthermore, I suggest that perhaps we should ALL change our avatars to Nicole Aniston for the day. Maybe it can become a regular friday tradition?

post #44 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Furthermore, I suggest that perhaps we should ALL change our avatars to Nicole Aniston for the day. Maybe it can become a regular friday tradition?

 

No thanks. :) And as nice as that may sound to some of you, this is, as you know....

 

z8_offtopic.gif

 

Time to get back to the chart. :)

post #45 of 125

Whoa, I was being sarcastic people.  Many golf equipment companies (including Titleist) use charts/data (like the one on this thread) to market their products to consumers.  Apparently that marketing strategy is working quite well for many manufacturers as many continue to run a profit.  That was my point in my earlier post.  I have no idea if that was the intent of Titleist to release this data or not, however, we have all seen this kind of marketing before.  If my memory is correct, didn't Justin Rose win a PGA event last year wearing a hat that had "17" on the front of it? 

post #46 of 125

My bad....I just went back and looked at the first post of this thread.  I thought that the data was supplied by Titleist.  I thought this because of the avatar of the OP.  I've seen charts before similar to this one that have been put out by various manufacturers as well. 

 

Now I see that Titleist had nothing to do with putting this data out at all.  My error.

post #47 of 125

Well if the chart is authorative, oh boy... Lots of work to do coming down the line. z2_scared.gif
 

post #48 of 125
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwestner View Post

Whoa, I was being sarcastic people.  Many golf equipment companies (including Titleist) use charts/data (like the one on this thread) to market their products to consumers.  Apparently that marketing strategy is working quite well for many manufacturers as many continue to run a profit.  That was my point in my earlier post.  I have no idea if that was the intent of Titleist to release this data or not, however, we have all seen this kind of marketing before.  If my memory is correct, didn't Justin Rose win a PGA event last year wearing a hat that had "17" on the front of it? 

Listen man, I follow hank Haney on twitter tgat is where the chart came from. I don't represent titelist. I don't even know how to golf good.
post #49 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

My guess is that the data behind it is avg SS by HC.  So the Avg scratch golfer has a SS around 100mph.  It probably does not mean that the avg HC of players with 100 SS is scratch.


Looking again at the chart, I think that dsc123 has it right.  It is not what handicap to expect based on swing speed.  It is just the reverse; it is what swing speed to expect based on handicap. For example, if you took a sampling of legitimate 10 handicappers, accurately measured their swing speed, then took that average, you would come up a data point that would be somewhere close to where the chart shows it to be. Similarly for all the handicaps from +5 to 18. 

 

Based on the people I see in real life (not the internet), the swing speeds seem pretty accurate.

post #50 of 125

Yes in general the chart is accurate.  Players that hit it 260 yards+ are going to have more opportunities or at least shorter clubs into greens.  More GIR, better chance at shooting a lower score.  And if you create a decent amount of speed you probably have some ability.  Not too many golfers have good swings and hit it short, unless you're older or very young. 

post #51 of 125

You had to bring age into it Mike.  You young whipper snapper!

post #52 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Yes in general the chart is accurate.  Players that hit it 260 yards+ are going to have more opportunities or at least shorter clubs into greens.  More GIR, better chance at shooting a lower score.  And if you create a decent amount of speed you probably have some ability.  Not too many golfers have good swings and hit it short, unless you're older or very young. 

Guess I played with too many guys with fast swing speeds who would park that R11 deep into the woods.

post #53 of 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond View Post

Guess I played with too many guys with fast swing speeds who would park that R11 deep into the woods.


And I go the opposite and get whooped by old men with slow swing speeds who are single digits.  They may have 85mph swings on their best day, but make routine 1 putt pars all day.

 

While I don't have a fast swing speed, or an R11, I'll put one deep in the woods on occasion.  Too often, come to think of it.

post #54 of 125
Distance is ruining golf. I've got 95mph speed with my driver and have basically been blown off by a few instructors because they think I must be a hack because I hit it short. I finished 2nd in my state mid am match play a couple of years ago.

Haney's graph is total bs.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Handicap versus Clubhead Speed/Driving Distance