or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Is anyone else fed up with "Sir Nick Faldo's" self serving english babbling?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone else fed up with "Sir Nick Faldo's" self serving english babbling? - Page 4

post #55 of 122

Now I'm confused; I had assumed that he got the honor by representing his country so well in his chosen field of endeavor.   Someone should ask him on air why he he was awarded it, exactly.

 

Tony Jacklin was a fine golfer and a true gentleman but clearly didn't quite rise to that level.

post #56 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas View Post

Now I'm confused; I had assumed that he got the honor by representing his country so well in his chosen field of endeavor.   Someone should ask him on air why he he was awarded it, exactly.
Quote:
Faldo stressed that a large part of the honour was its recognition of the Faldo Series that works to inspire young golfers. But having stated his pleasure at becoming only the second British professional golfer to be knighted, he seemed a little flummoxed by the timing.
post #57 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

You don't get a knighthood for being an actor or playing golf or being a musician. Usually it's actually their charity work or something that gets them consideration.

Actually yes you do now a days. Things changed under Tony Blair's government - awards to any one who is popular hoping they govt gets reflected glory. The latest lot haven't changed it back.

 

Bradley Wiggins has got a knighthood for winning the Tour de France and picking up 4 Olympic gold medals - he's not a noted contributor to charity.

 

It used to be that great sportsmen got the awards once they had retired - Bobby Moore, Stanley Matthews etc etc

 

Now give it to them at their prime - there was even discussion about whether Andy Murray should be knighted off the back of one Grand Slam - thankfully he wasn't and he came out and said he didn't deserve it yet.

post #58 of 122

I'm a fan of Faldo and found him to be surprisingly more down to earth as a commentator than what he seemed as a player.

post #59 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradshaw View Post

 

VJ's superior record?

 

Faldo won 3 Green Jackets and 3 Claret Jugs.


This. It's what stood out to me in the OP's remarks. All else is just opinion. VJ's had a fine career and to me seems like a good guy but Faldo has a much better record and is one of the greatest players of the last 30 years. In fact, since 1980 only Tiger and maybe Phil have had better careers.

post #60 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by club ho View Post

I'd agree with your assessment of the other commentators. Chamblee makes me want to puke most of time he opens his mouth. I would really prefer to have Faherty and McCord in the booth and have Chamblee and Faldo running around the course chasing after players comments.


  Agreed

post #61 of 122

I had always heard that Nick Faldo was "full of himself".  But I find him a good commentator - knowledgeable but also able to joke and perhaps most important (IMHO) is his ability to joke at himself. People who can poke fun at themselves always seem more human and approachable than those who hold themselves apart. 

post #62 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Such a big dude... Dave and I are not small people.

 

 

Brian Kelly told him he could easily play "American" football.

post #63 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthduffer View Post

I had always heard that Nick Faldo was "full of himself".  But I find him a good commentator - knowledgeable but also able to joke and perhaps most important (IMHO) is his ability to joke at himself. People who can poke fun at themselves always seem more human and approachable than those who hold themselves apart. 

I agree with this... If you can't laugh at yourself, then I think you'd have to be a miserable person.

post #64 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Brian Kelly told him he could easily play "American" football.

He's definitely bigger than I thought he would be.

post #65 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Brian Kelly told him he could easily play "American" football.

Yes he's 6ft 4 but football of any sort is a team sport - Sir Nick doesn't do those.

 

He was supposed to be a pretty good cyclist and swimmer until he turned to golf.

post #66 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post

Actually yes you do now a days. Things changed under Tony Blair's government - awards to any one who is popular hoping they govt gets reflected glory. The latest lot haven't changed it back.

 

Bradley Wiggins has got a knighthood for winning the Tour de France and picking up 4 Olympic gold medals - he's not a noted contributor to charity.

Well, that's different. Of course it'll get you knighted if you beat the French that badly!

post #67 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansteadimp View Post

Yes he's 6ft 4 but football of any sort is a team sport - Sir Nick doesn't do those.

 

He was supposed to be a pretty good cyclist and swimmer until he turned to golf.

IIRC, they interviewed Bill Belichick & Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly at the AT&T after they hit their shots on 17 they agreed that Nick could have been a Safety in the NFL in terms of his size.

post #68 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

IIRC, they interviewed Bill Belichick & Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly at the AT&T after they hit their shots on 17 they agreed that Nick could have been a Safety in the NFL in terms of his size.

6'4" safety?  Ummmmm.... No.

post #69 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

IIRC, they interviewed Bill Belichick & Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly at the AT&T after they hit their shots on 17 they agreed that Nick could have been a Safety in the NFL in terms of his size.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

6'4" safety?  Ummmmm.... No.

What would be the downside of being a tall safety?

post #70 of 122

None except that at that height his weight would have to be higher than most at the position.  He'd be a genetic freak to still be able to run a 4.4 40 or faster. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

What would be the downside of being a tall safety?

post #71 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

None except that at that height his weight would have to be higher than most at the position.  He'd be a genetic freak to still be able to run a 4.4 40 or faster. 

OK.  If you just compared his size, then I'd guess he'd fit better into the mold of a QB or a tight end, huh?

post #72 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

 

What would be the downside of being a tall safety?

I know of no safeties - at least at the professional level (heck even at college for that matter) that are 6'4".  The position is typically around 5'10" (Smallish) to 6'2" (Large). 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Is anyone else fed up with "Sir Nick Faldo's" self serving english babbling?