or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Is anyone else fed up with "Sir Nick Faldo's" self serving english babbling?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is anyone else fed up with "Sir Nick Faldo's" self serving english babbling? - Page 5

post #73 of 122

Thanks for setting me straight Zeph.  I like that he's a carpet fitter from Welwyn Garden City - who'd a thought ......

post #74 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

None except that at that height his weight would have to be higher than most at the position.  He'd be a genetic freak to still be able to run a 4.4 40 or faster. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

 

Ok... There are a few - and that is very few CB/FS/SS in this years draft prospects that are 6'4".  I just ran through the list and found one or two guys.  As newtogolf stated, it is rare to have a guy that height - who has the mass on his body - and speed to play the position... And would be considered a freak of nature to play Safety at that size.

post #75 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

OK.  If you just compared his size, then I'd guess he'd fit better into the mold of a QB or a tight end, huh?

Yeah, DE too - if he had speed (and added another 30lbs of muscle onto his frame).  Maybe OLB - who is a tweener and can play down or up.


Edited by Beachcomber - 2/11/13 at 6:37pm
post #76 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I know of no safeties - at least at the professional level (heck even at college for that matter) that are 6'4".  The position is typically around 5'10" (Smallish) to 6'2" (Large). 

Yes, but I doubt they aren't safeties BECAUSE they are 6'-4".  They aren't safeties because they're big muscular 6-4 types and are not fast enough, or they're fast, lanky WR types who aren't strong enough to be a safety.  But nothing about being 6-4 is, in and of itself, disadvanageous to being a safety.

 

You could have said "A 230 lb safety?  Ummm, no."

 

or

 

"A british safety?  Ummm, no." b2_tongue.gif

post #77 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

None except that at that height his weight would have to be higher than most at the position.  He'd be a genetic freak to still be able to run a 4.4 40 or faster. 

I think Belichick and Kelly would have said a different position if another was more applicable. They know a bit about football. I'd say if he worked out a bit more he could probably even play tight end, but that's just me.

 

Also a 4.4 40 belongs to a genetic freak no matter the position. Maybe if he was a #1 overall pick in the draft he'd need to run under a 4.4, but 4.4 will put anyone in the elite of any position. Ed Reed ran 4.45 and he's pretty good. Antrell Rolle ran a 4.5, he's one of the better safeties. I'd say less than half of starters in the NFL at the safety position would run under 4.45s.

post #78 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yes, but I doubt they aren't safeties BECAUSE they are 6'-4".  They aren't safeties because they're big muscular 6-4 types and are not fast enough, or they're fast, lanky WR types who aren't strong enough to be a safety.  But nothing about being 6-4 is, in and of itself, disadvanageous to being a safety.

 

You could have said "A 230 lb safety?  Ummm, no."

 

or

 

"A british safety?  Ummm, no." b2_tongue.gif

230lb safety would be more realistic than a 6'4" safety.  Although neither would be pedigree... The problem is once you start getting to that size - you start slowing down to play the position.  Unless of course, you are using Deer Antler spray.

post #79 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

I think Belichick and Kelly would have said a different position if another was more applicable. They know a bit about football. I'd say if he worked out a bit more he could probably even play tight end, but that's just me.

 

Also a 4.4 40 belongs to a genetic freak no matter the position. Maybe if he was a #1 overall pick in the draft he'd need to run under a 4.4, but 4.4 will put anyone in the elite of any position. Ed Reed ran 4.45 and he's pretty good. Antrell Rolle ran a 4.5, he's one of the better safeties. I'd say less than half of starters in the NFL at the safety position would run under 4.45s.

And how many are 6'4" tall?  And combine the weight of 230lbs?

 

I don't think we are saying he isn't an athletic man...What I'm saying is his physique doesn't match that of a safety.

post #80 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

And how many are 6'4" tall?  And combine the weight of 230lbs?

 

I don't think we are saying he isn't an athletic man...What I'm saying is his physique doesn't match that of a safety.

Well yes, I suppose that's obvious. He's clearly better suited to being a shooting guard or something in the NBA. :P

post #81 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciusWooding View Post

Well yes, I suppose that's obvious. He's clearly better suited to being a shooting guard or something in the NBA. :P

He also fits the mold for a defenseman in hockey, just with too many teeth.

post #82 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

He also fits the mold for a defenseman in hockey, just with too many teeth.

He actually reminds me of a.... wait for it..... wait for it...... A golfer! 

post #83 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

6'4" safety?  Ummmmm.... No.

First off, he's 6-3...according to Wikipedia -

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Faldo

 

Second, that's what Belichick & Kelly said. I would guess they know what they're talking about.

post #84 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

First off, he's 6-3...according to Wikipedia -

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Faldo

 

Second, that's what Belichick & Kelly said. I would guess they know what they're talking about.

Yeah, this Brian Kelly... c2_beer.gif

 

post #85 of 122

Oh I'm sorry Beachcomber...I didn't realize you ran a major college football program. 

post #86 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Oh I'm sorry Beachcomber...I didn't realize you ran a major college football program. 

That's ok... I'll forgive you this time. c2_beer.gif

post #87 of 122

Shawn, you really should just stop. :P

 

Back on topic now please. For the record, I don't particularly care one way or the other for or about Nick Faldo. Great golfer in his time, of course.

post #88 of 122

Pat Watkins was the tallest safety in the NFL at 6'5".  So he was a bit taller than Sir Nick.  He also didn't last very long.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

 

If you're implying Tiger took PEDs you better back that charge up with something more than conjecture. 

 

 

You should check this out: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question  The Sports Guy argues that we've reached a point where professional athletes don't get the benefit of the doubt, and that speculation of PED use should be accepted as part of the debate.

post #89 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

You should check this out: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8904906/daring-ask-ped-question  The Sports Guy argues that we've reached a point where professional athletes don't get the benefit of the doubt, and that speculation of PED use should be accepted as part of the debate.

So we have those who definitely used them, those who "probably" used them, and the athletes who never accomplished anything and no one cares about? Seems like all of professional sports aren't worth watching with that attitude.

 

And also a whole can of worms and another thread.

post #90 of 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckAaron View Post

 

I do Miss Ken Venturi. 

 

 

Ken Venturi was the best ever if you ask me. I could listen with rapt attention to him discuss the menstrual cycle of the Asiatic tree snail.

 

Given that he mentored under Byron Nelson, competed with Hogan, Palmer, Nicklaus, etc.............there will never be another commentator like him.

 

I think he influenced guys like Johnny Miller in that it's okay to be critical of a pro's decision. Venturi called it like he saw it but with class. Miller just isn't as smooth as Venturi was.

 

I think a little bit of Feherty and McCord are good but sometimes they need to muzzle them.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Is anyone else fed up with "Sir Nick Faldo's" self serving english babbling?