or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandt Snedeker future #1 in the WGR?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Brandt Snedeker future #1 in the WGR? - Page 2

post #19 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran123 View Post

Or Brandt.
Thanks for the useful post, you really brought the topic to life. I've seen what he is bringing this year, week in and week out. He doesn't have a good finish then lay out for a month.
post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspangler View Post


Thanks for the useful post, you really brought the topic to life. I've seen what he is bringing this year, week in and week out. He doesn't have a good finish then lay out for a month.

I've seen Tiger play once on the PGA Tour this year... He looked pretty good to me.

post #21 of 51
I think it would be great if Brandt made it to number 1, of course these early tournaments are different to the majors. It will be exciting to see him at the masters, see how he performs with added expectations.
post #22 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

I've seen Tiger play once on the PGA Tour this year... He looked pretty good to me, to me of course.

I also saw him play in Dubai, he looked pretty bad, to me of course.
post #23 of 51
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkeycats View Post

I think it would be great if Brandt made it to number 1, of course these early tournaments are different to the majors. It will be exciting to see him at the masters, see how he performs with added expectations.

I agree with you 100%. I don't know if people reading this are thinking I'm saying its a sure thing. He could hurt his back next week, ala DJ, and be sidelined. But for me I say why not him, I personally think he's a much better image for the tour than Tiger or Rory(he's not to bad) but I do hope he gets to #1 and sticks around for awhile so I can show my kids someone worth looking up to.
post #24 of 51

If he wins the Masters this year, then we can talk. It's a course that sets up better for long hitters and Snedeker is decidedly not one, and is an OK ballstriker. He's trending very accurate this year, but last year he averaged way lower in GIR and FIR, so I think he'll even out. A good putter hitting the ball like that, no wonder he makes so many birdies.

 

Augusta would require an absolutely outstanding week from someone who relies on their putting, unless they try to set it up really hard this year. The course seldom favors the bottom 50 or so drivers on tour. I think Justin Rose would be more likely to contend there due to his better all around game, especially his solid length and ballstriking. But I still think Phil, Tiger and Rory will show up, making it a moot point.

 

I like Snedeker, but the idea of him getting #1 with Rory up there is pretty unlikely. People always seem to forget exactly how good Rory is when he's on by the time 2 weeks pass, but promptly shut up once he shows up in form and wins a major by 8 shots.

post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspangler View Post

I also saw him play in Dubai, he looked pretty bad, to me of course.

He and Rory were hung over from partying as the worlds top two golfers?  

 

Here is something to chew on... 

 

Tiger Woods... 623 consecutive weeks at #1.

Rory McIroy.... 27 consecutive weeks at #1 (current).

Brandt Snedeker.... 0 weeks at #1.

 

And I'll give you one more thing to consider... It appears that Brandt would need two more wins to take the #1 ranking from Rory considering there is a 200+ point differential between the two.

post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspangler View Post


I also saw him play in Dubai, he looked pretty bad, to me of course.

 

What year was that?

post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

Tiger Woods... 623 consecutive weeks at #1.

 

I think the accurate number is something like 280 or so.

 

Which is still more than 0.

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
And I'll give you one more thing to consider... It appears that Brandt would need two more wins to take the #1 ranking from Rory considering there is a 200+ point differential between the two.

 

If Snedeker wins the WGC Match Play (76 points last year), the Honda Classic (50), the WGC Cadillac (78), Bay Hill (56) and the Masters (100), he will be at about 13.07 points and probably get the #1 spot after the Masters. If he finishes second in all of those tournaments, he will get to little over 10 points and likely still be way behind McIlroy (currently at 12.03). So it will take some impressive playing from Snedeker to reach #1 until then.

 

Of course this scenario is unlikely to happen, but it shows that he will need very, very good results (and at least a Major and some other big wins) the whole year to even have a chance of catching McIlroy.

 

And another thing to consider: Woods has currently only 35 tournaments, so he will gain "free" points with every tournament he plays more than he did in 2011 (where he missed half the season). If you would divide his points by 35 instead of the minimum divisor (40) he would be at 10.3 points instead of 9.03. So even to catch Woods Snedeker will have to play incredibly well.

post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

I think the accurate number is something like 280 or so.

 

Which is still more than 0.

Sorry, I stand corrected - Tiger has been the World #1 for 623 weeks (not consecutive)... Tiger had a streak of 264 consecutive weeks at #1. 

 

Yes, still more than 0.

post #30 of 51

Snedeker has looked good and played well so far.  As others pointed out, there were others in the past that started out looking great then faded so I agree that it's a bit premature for us to talk about him being #1.   

post #31 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwick View Post

 

If Snedeker wins the WGC Match Play (76 points last year), the Honda Classic (50), the WGC Cadillac (78), Bay Hill (56) and the Masters (100), he will be at about 13.07 points and probably get the #1 spot after the Masters. If he finishes second in all of those tournaments, he will get to little over 10 points and likely still be way behind McIlroy (currently at 12.03). So it will take some impressive playing from Snedeker to reach #1 until then.

 

Of course this scenario is unlikely to happen, but it shows that he will need very, very good results (and at least a Major and some other big wins) the whole year to even have a chance of catching McIlroy.

 

And another thing to consider: Woods has currently only 35 tournaments, so he will gain "free" points with every tournament he plays more than he did in 2011 (where he missed half the season). If you would divide his points by 35 instead of the minimum divisor (40) he would be at 10.3 points instead of 9.03. So even to catch Woods Snedeker will have to play incredibly well.

Yeah, I was thinking the points were a little higher for each event... So definitely would need to win more than two events to make up the point differential between him and Rory.  Goes to show you how well Rory played in 2012 to build that kind of a lead.

post #32 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspangler View Post


Thanks for the useful post, you really brought the topic to life. I've seen what he is bringing this year, week in and week out. He doesn't have a good finish then lay out for a month.

I thought it was useful. It's factual. The season is only a month old. How can we gauge anything yet form one players performance?

 

I can guarantee if you ask Brandt about his future 2013 PGA Tour wins and his climb to #1 he'd tell you to slow down because the season is in it's early stages.

 

Richard Sterne finished second at the Omega Dubai, then won the Joburg Open - , if he keeps that up he'll be number one by the end of the year right?

post #33 of 51
Thread Starter 
Sure if he keeps winning why not, thats how Lee Westwood became #1 he cherrypicked tourneys on the Euro tour. Also I am not talking and Snedecker's game the last month, his last 10 starts go; 28th, 2nd, 6th, 37th, 1st, 3rd, 23rd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspangler View Post

Sure if he keeps winning why not

Because Brandt is going to be number one isn't he?

post #35 of 51
Thread Starter 
Both players can't be future #1s?
post #36 of 51
It really depends on the players above him at th mo'. If they don't perform and Sneds out performs, then he has every chance. I say good luck to him.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Brandt Snedeker future #1 in the WGR?