or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Need tips for working on alignment ( Have a problem aligning to the right of target line )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need tips for working on alignment ( Have a problem aligning to the right of target line )

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

Hey guys, I appreciate any reponses or tips beforehand.

 

I seem to always have an issue of properly getting lined up for driver/wood/iron shots. I use the typical method of picking a spot 6 inches to a foot in front of the ball that is along my target line and then lining my club face up to that spot followed by my feet, body etc... somehow I always seem to manage to get lined up right of my target. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any tips for working on aligment or drills/games that might help me. Its hard enough to hit good shots as it is, but its very frustrating to hit a great shot and then question whether or not you were lined up right of the target line after your ball ended up in the tall stuff. I want to get to the point where my aligment is solid enough that I feel confident when I hit a shot to the right, I know it was due to my swing and not my alignment. Sometimes it almost seems like my eyes are playing tricks on me. Ill pick a spot, walk up to the ball line up my club face, feet etc and look up and I can tell ( over time I've started to be able to spot this more ) that I am aligned to the right. I also hit a draw and have had problems with a big hook at times, so not sure how much that might play into things.

post #2 of 13

I find the spot six inches in front of the ball to line up the clubhead. To line up the body I usually pick find the spot perpendicular to that line that is the same distance as the ball is from my feet, then i line up my feet to that. It's easier for me to visualize that than feel like my feet are parallel. 

 

Also, hit lots of shots with sticks there, like the pros. Line up like your regular shot routine every time though, don't let yourself cheat. Using the sticks helps familiarize yourself with what you should see when you line up

post #3 of 13

I had/still have same problem as you.  I fixed it by what onephenom stated.  Get some sticks or lay some clubs down and do your normal routine and line up using the sticks.  Whenever i notice that I'm hitting it just like you said, a small bag like that on the range gets me all lined back out.  If you play like that for a long time your timing and everything gets out of sink.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by onephenom View Post

I find the spot six inches in front of the ball to line up the clubhead. To line up the body I usually pick find the spot perpendicular to that line that is the same distance as the ball is from my feet, then i line up my feet to that. It's easier for me to visualize that than feel like my feet are parallel. 

 

I am not following what you are saying here. Can you explain again? I'm trying to visualize this but not sure if I'm getting the right picture.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby98 View Post

I had/still have same problem as you.  I fixed it by what onephenom stated.  Get some sticks or lay some clubs down and do your normal routine and line up using the sticks.  Whenever i notice that I'm hitting it just like you said, a small bag like that on the range gets me all lined back out.  If you play like that for a long time your timing and everything gets out of sink.

Looks like I am going to have to force myself to be disciplined at the range and ALWAYS use alignment sticks. What is the best way to use the alignment sticks? I’ve seen one place along the foot line and then another placed around the ball and I have also seen just one laid down at the midway point between your feet and the ball, pointing at the target.

post #5 of 13

I point one at my target and another in line that were my stance is so that my feet are aligned perfectly left of the target.  I also use this method and change the angle to work on fading the ball.  My natural swing is a draw, so I have to be very careful to set up right for a fade.  A simple solution that I don't like to use if I hit a few bad shots on the course, I will line up and then turn my feet a little to the left to get aligned correct.  Problem is eventually I start setting back up right and then when I shift to the left I cut the ball.  This isn't good when you are trying to draw the ball and it fades.  There is a lot of OB at my course on the right.

post #6 of 13

i find it easier to pick a spot a foot BEHIND the ball and then visualize a line thru those two points, and then line up parallel to that imaginary line.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

i find it easier to pick a spot a foot BEHIND the ball and then visualize a line thru those two points, and then line up parallel to that imaginary line.

 

That actually makes a lot of sense.  Interesting.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby98 View Post

I had/still have same problem as you.  I fixed it by what onephenom stated.  Get some sticks or lay some clubs down and do your normal routine and line up using the sticks.  Whenever i notice that I'm hitting it just like you said, a small bag like that on the range gets me all lined back out.  If you play like that for a long time your timing and everything gets out of sink.

 

+1 on the sticks.  I was slicing, then aiming further left to account for it, which really just made it slice more.  Got real nasty.  Then I used the alignment sticks and realized I had completely lost perspective of what is straight.  Use them at the range and you'll get used to what straight looks like.

post #8 of 13

Use the sticks, they don't lie. Refer back to them often as it is easy to get back into the off line position. There is a reason that you see the sticks on every Tournament range, they work.

post #9 of 13

Yeah, it's all about the sticks. The key is just to ONLY hit shots at the range or the park with TWO alignment sticks.  One parallel to the target line 3-6" towards your feet from where the heel of the club will come down, and one parallel to the target line that'll be right on your toes when hitting your wedges (i.e., when you'll be closest to the ball).  And make sure you ingrain as part of your pre-shot routine looking up at your target after you've set up over the ball.  Practice enough and you'll start to know pretty instinctively exactly where in your field of vision with your neck turned X amount the target should be, given you're lined up correctly.

 

I used to have this problem and implemented the above and now when I look up and feel like I'm lined up off target, when I pull the trigger anyway instead of resetting I'm almost always right that I was off and get poor results.

post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdl View Post

Yeah, it's all about the sticks. The key is just to ONLY hit shots at the range or the park with TWO alignment sticks.  One parallel to the target line 3-6" towards your feet from where the heel of the club will come down, and one parallel to the target line that'll be right on your toes when hitting your wedges (i.e., when you'll be closest to the ball).  And make sure you ingrain as part of your pre-shot routine looking up at your target after you've set up over the ball.  Practice enough and you'll start to know pretty instinctively exactly where in your field of vision with your neck turned X amount the target should be, given you're lined up correctly.

 

I used to have this problem and implemented the above and now when I look up and feel like I'm lined up off target, when I pull the trigger anyway instead of resetting I'm almost always right that I was off and get poor results.

I gotta start doing this again.  I currently only use one that is closer to my feet.  I used to use the second one, but I put it on the outside of the ball.  Of course, I'd always be bumping it while dragging balls over so it'd get moved, and become useless, which is why I stopped.

 

I'm gonna go back to using two, but put it on the inside.  Thanks man!  :)

post #11 of 13

What's the purpose of the stick closer to the ball?  

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

What's the purpose of the stick closer to the ball?  


Beats me...i use one stick, usually about halfway between my feet and the ball.
post #13 of 13
I think the second stick is just a visual thing. Two parallel lines are easier to square up to than one line. A lot of putters have two or even three alignment aids (lines) for exactly the same reason, easier for the brain to "see" square. ****I think****
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Need tips for working on alignment ( Have a problem aligning to the right of target line )