or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Really,....? Bill Haas,...? Hit a coin on a putt,...?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Really,....? Bill Haas,...? Hit a coin on a putt,...? - Page 2

post #19 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

I didn't realize there was a choice. I thought you had to move it if asked to do so or else your are disqualified?

My point was that it's up to the competitor to decide/request if your mark is in their way. It's not your responsibility to choose a ball marker that won't affect a putt that strikes it. Use whatever you like.
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanson View Post

 

i don't know what you mean by "better job" - i've never been able to use the plastic markers effectively. the small plastic nub that is supposed to keep them in one place doesn't penetrate the ground deep enough (or at all sometimes) and could very well blow around the green if a stiff breeze came up. people use coins because they're heavier, easier to find in your pocket/on your hat/on your pitch-mark tool, and have some sort of meaning to a player (lucky, ect).

I have been playing golf regularly for over thirty years and I have never had a ball marker that penetrates the gorund move or get blown away. I prefer them because they are flat. Even when I ask somebody to move their mark I ask them if they have something flat, because even I don't hit my putts perfectly on line every time.a3_biggrin.gif

post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Me too.  It looks as though he hit the left edge of the coin (which, if anything could only nudge his ball further left) and it also appears (although less so because the video stops) that he misses to the right.

 

If that is true, I stand by my original theory ... the coin wasn't on his line and he just pushed the putt.  In fact, if I'm right about that, then it's possibly intentional that he didn't ask the guy to move it.  Maybe he's thinking that if he pushes the putt, the coin might knock it back on line.

Or he was using it as a guide and knew that if he hit just inside the coin it was dead center. He just mishit the putt, something he was doing all day until the last couple of holes.

post #22 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

Or he was using it as a guide and knew that if he hit just inside the coin it was dead center. He just mishit the putt, something he was doing all day until the last couple of holes.

 

In watching the putt, I've got to agree with this.  I think he just missed his line. 

post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post


The "job" of my ball marker is to mark my ball. Nothing else. I prefer something large enough that I can see it from a distance, as when I'm looking at my line from behind the hole.

I'm more than willing to move it for a fellow competitor if asked to do so.......

I didn't realize there was a choice. I thought you had to move it if asked to do so or else your are disqualified?

 

Isn't that what he said?  He said that he'll move it if asked.  What else did you read?  

 

As far as disqualification is concerned, all I find are references to a refusal to lift the ball when it may be assisting play.  I don't know if the penalty extends to the ball marker as well.  But there if there isn't any specific reference to it, I think that Rule 1-4 would then be applicable, and the appropriate penalty would be applied in equity in a situation involving the ball marker assisting or interfering with play in place of the ball.  It seems to me that the ball marker is essentially a stand in for the ball, so most such requirements involving a ball at rest would apply to the ball marker as well.

post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

 

Isn't that what he said?  He said that he'll move it if asked.  What else did you read?  

 

As far as disqualification is concerned, all I find are references to a refusal to lift the ball when it may be assisting play.  I don't know if the penalty extends to the ball marker as well.  But there if there isn't any specific reference to it, I think that Rule 1-4 would then be applicable, and the appropriate penalty would be applied in equity in a situation involving the ball marker assisting or interfering with play in place of the ball.  It seems to me that the ball marker is essentially a stand in for the ball, so most such requirements involving a ball at rest would apply to the ball marker as well.

Yes, but SC is thinking that since David felt the need to say that, then there must be people out there who aren't willing to move their ball if asked ...otherwise, why say that at all?  It's those people he's asking about.

post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

Isn't that what he said?  He said that he'll move it if asked.  What else did you read?  

As far as disqualification is concerned, all I find are references to a refusal to lift the ball when it may be assisting play.  I don't know if the penalty extends to the ball marker as well.  But there if there isn't any specific reference to it, I think that Rule 1-4 would then be applicable, and the appropriate penalty would be applied in equity in a situation involving the ball marker assisting or interfering with play in place of the ball.  It seems to me that the ball marker is essentially a stand in for the ball, so most such requirements involving a ball at rest would apply to the ball marker as well.
The way I read his post was why would anyone not move it, rule or not? If it is not a rule then it would just be common courtesy to move it. I assumed that it was a rule which is why I initially posted it. It seems like in every gcat event I play in that everyone else thinks it's a rule too. Are there people out there who don't move it?
post #26 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post


The way I read his post was why would anyone not move it, rule or not? If it is not a rule then it would just be common courtesy to move it. I assumed that it was a rule which is why I initially posted it. It seems like in every gcat event I play in that everyone else thinks it's a rule too. Are there people out there who don't move it?

 

I think you just read too much into my choice of words......or I simply picked the wrong words.  I've never heard of anyone refusing to move a mark.  My original point remains.  Choose the ball marker you want/like, for whatever reason you like.

post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Yes, but SC is thinking that since David felt the need to say that, then there must be people out there who aren't willing to move their ball if asked ...otherwise, why say that at all?  It's those people he's asking about.
Yeah that too.
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvk77 View Post

He should have it moved. just stupid not do to so.

I disagree, it could have helped him in two ways as said before.

post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfanatic35 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourputt View Post

Isn't that what he said?  He said that he'll move it if asked.  What else did you read?  

As far as disqualification is concerned, all I find are references to a refusal to lift the ball when it may be assisting play.  I don't know if the penalty extends to the ball marker as well.  But there if there isn't any specific reference to it, I think that Rule 1-4 would then be applicable, and the appropriate penalty would be applied in equity in a situation involving the ball marker assisting or interfering with play in place of the ball.  It seems to me that the ball marker is essentially a stand in for the ball, so most such requirements involving a ball at rest would apply to the ball marker as well.
The way I read his post was why would anyone not move it, rule or not? If it is not a rule then it would just be common courtesy to move it. I assumed that it was a rule which is why I initially posted it. It seems like in every gcat event I play in that everyone else thinks it's a rule too. Are there people out there who don't move it?

 

There is no rule that you must move your marker unless you are asked to do so.  Yes, most players will ask the person putting if they need to have it moved, and certainly I would move my marker if I thought that its position might assist my opponent or fellow competitor.  But the rule doesn't state it in that manner. 


Edited by Fourputt - 2/19/13 at 6:26pm
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

 

I think you just read too much into my choice of words......or I simply picked the wrong words.  I've never heard of anyone refusing to move a mark.  My original point remains.  Choose the ball marker you want/like, for whatever reason you like.

But don't choose a green or red marker, otherwise you'll have us colour blind boys wandering over your line when we can't see where your marker is!

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by phan52 View Post

I have been playing golf regularly for over thirty years and I have never had a ball marker that penetrates the gorund move or get blown away. I prefer them because they are flat. Even when I ask somebody to move their mark I ask them if they have something flat, because even I don't hit my putts perfectly on line every time.a3_biggrin.gif


And I would tell you no, and ask if you'd like me to move it another putter head length or two.

post #32 of 49

I hate when people use ball markers that can't be putted over...which is almost always.

 

I like to use flat marks, then I don't have to move my mark as often...or take the risk of forgetting to move the mark back before I putt.  I also find it much more courteous to the people I play with.

 

As common as this is, it is definitely one of my pet peeves.

post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcyderydin View Post

I hate when people use ball markers that can't be putted over...which is almost always.

I like to use flat marks, then I don't have to move my mark as often...or take the risk of forgetting to move the mark back before I putt.  I also find it much more courteous to the people I play with.

As common as this is, it is definitely one of my pet peeves.

An interesting pet peeve since it should have no affect on you at all......
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcyderydin View Post

I hate when people use ball markers that can't be putted over...which is almost always.

 

I like to use flat marks, then I don't have to move my mark as often...or take the risk of forgetting to move the mark back before I putt.  I also find it much more courteous to the people I play with.

 

As common as this is, it is definitely one of my pet peeves.

 

You must have issues with a lot of people then.  As I said, I use a big one most of the time.  I've never had anyone comment on it other than just jokingly.  One that I use often is a 1780 Maria Teresa Thaler, which is approximately a dollar sized silver coin, minted by several European countries.  Never a worry about mistaking my marker for that of anyone else.

post #35 of 49
Quote:

 

Quote:
I have been playing golf regularly for over thirty years and I have never had a ball marker that penetrates the gorund move or get blown away. I prefer them because they are flat. Even when I ask somebody to move their mark I ask them if they have something flat, because even I don't hit my putts perfectly on line every time.a3_biggrin.gif

 

Originally Posted by turtleback View Post


And I would tell you no, and ask if you'd like me to move it another putter head length or two.

 

Which is perfecty fine. Just more work for you.

post #36 of 49

We sell those plastic ball markers at the course where I work for $0.25 each. People buy them all the time, and I have to laugh. Why would anyone fork over a quarter to buy a plastic ball marker. A quarter IS a ball marker! Plus you can actually use the quarter after the round as legal tender. Try paying for something with a plastic ball marker. 

 

Back on topic, I am pretty sure Bill Haas knows what he is doing. He obviously pushed the putt. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Really,....? Bill Haas,...? Hit a coin on a putt,...?