or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hip Turn at A6

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

I have slowly been improve my down swing trying to get to a good impact position.

 

Currently I am trying to get a decent hip turn at impact around 30 degrees. My question is how much hip turn should I have a A 6 to get there at impact? Currently if I am concentrating on getting into the slot with a hip slide and keeping my hands ahead of the club head. I have 0 to 4 degrees of turn at A 6.  If I am concentrating on hip turn I am between 12 and 19 degrees at A 6..  Where should I be?

post #2 of 12

Couple questions:

 

- What shot are you trying to hit?

- Why do you feel it's important for you to get 30 degrees open at A7?  Not trying to be negative just want to get a better idea where you're coming from.  There isn't any "perfect" number where everyone should be at A6-7.  So from my experience there are other pieces that may be more important than getting the hips to hit this 30 degree number.  I guess what I'm trying to say is that hitting that number doesn't make or break a shot.

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
I did not state. It well. My old swing was all arms so Iam trying. To rotate did not mean 30 degree. Was a perfect number just an amount that seems resonable. What iam trying to understand OS how much turn needs to happen early in the swing. Is it a Smith curve or do I turn more latter do to acceleration. Sorry I don't know how to state my question
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRenegade View Post

I did not state. It well. My old swing was all arms so Iam trying. To rotate did not mean 30 degree. Was a perfect number just an amount that seems resonable. What iam trying to understand OS how much turn needs to happen early in the swing. Is it a Smith curve or do I turn more latter do to acceleration. Sorry I don't know how to state my question

 

Well from A4-6 the hips are moving forward "along the arc".  Then the hips are coming out of their forward bend and that keeps the hips turning.  Good feel from A4 is to add pressure towards the front (toes) of your left foot.  Don't let the left foot roll.  Good check point is at A6 the left knee is just outside the left ankle.  Do that while keeping the head relatively on the wall and you'll be in good shape.  Notice I said relatively on the wall, doesn't have to be perfect.  The pressure feel I shared is the priority.

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRenegade View Post

I did not state. It well. My old swing was all arms so Iam trying. To rotate did not mean 30 degree. Was a perfect number just an amount that seems resonable. What iam trying to understand OS how much turn needs to happen early in the swing. Is it a Smith curve or do I turn more latter do to acceleration. Sorry I don't know how to state my question

 

Well from A4-6 the hips are moving forward "along the arc".  Then the hips are coming out of their forward bend and that keeps the hips turning.  Good feel from A4 is to add pressure towards the front (toes) of your left foot.  Don't let the left foot roll.  Good check point is at A6 the left knee is just outside the left ankle.  Do that while keeping the head relatively on the wall and you'll be in good shape.  Notice I said relatively on the wall, doesn't have to be perfect.  The pressure feel I shared is the priority.

 

Thanks I get a lot of hip slide between A-4 and A-6 With very little  hip turn unless I really force the hips to turn doing this however I tend to come over the swing plane and my hands get behind.

post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRenegade View Post

 

Thanks I get a lot of hip slide between A-4 and A-6 With very little  hip turn unless I really force the hips to turn doing this however I tend to come over the swing plane and my hands get behind.

 

Just looking at the swings from Jan of this year, I would disagree you have a lot of slide.  I would recommend more pressure into the left foot on the downswing, left knee flexed longer, will help what you're seeing with the wrist angles releasing so fast.  You tend to straighten the left knee too soon, hips don't go forward much and then the right leg over flexes.  Notice how the right foot is spinning rather than banking at about A8, another way to look at what I'm saying.

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Just looking at the swings from Jan of this year, I would disagree you have a lot of slide.  I would recommend more pressure into the left foot on the downswing, left knee flexed longer, will help what you're seeing with the wrist angles releasing so fast.  You tend to straighten the left knee too soon, hips don't go forward much and then the right leg over flexes.  Notice how the right foot is spinning rather than banking at about A8, another way to look at what I'm saying.

 

Just to mirror what Mike said, I haven't seen many people who have "a lot of slide."

post #8 of 12

Erik, have you seen any touring pros with a 'lot of slide'?  And is slide what we really want or only what most folks can accomplish?  Isn't hip twisting or fast rotation the 'gold standard' for generating clubhead speed, among other things? 

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post

Erik, have you seen any touring pros with a 'lot of slide'?  And is slide what we really want or only what most folks can accomplish?  Isn't hip twisting or fast rotation the 'gold standard' for generating clubhead speed, among other things? 

 

If by "lot of slide" you mean "too much slide" then no, not really. Ben Hogan slid his hips forward a bunch.

 

I don't know what your second question asks. Slide and rotation should be done together. Early, "slide" is mostly dominant, and later, rotation is.

 

Hip twisting is not the "gold standard." You've got other impact geometry to worry about - including putting the hips in a position around which they can rotate quickly (and back of your lead knee and ankle ain't that position).

 

There's a big thread on hip slide... well worth the time to read.

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

 

Just looking at the swings from Jan of this year, I would disagree you have a lot of slide.  I would recommend more pressure into the left foot on the downswing, left knee flexed longer, will help what you're seeing with the wrist angles releasing so fast.  You tend to straighten the left knee too soon, hips don't go forward much and then the right leg over flexes.  Notice how the right foot is spinning rather than banking at about A8, another way to look at what I'm saying.

I am struggling with keeping my left wrist flat at impact.  Do you mean by the bolded part, that if I slide more forward with the hips, it will help with the flat left wrist?  How or why, does it actually help?

post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ledo81 View Post

I am struggling with keeping my left wrist flat at impact.  Do you mean by the bolded part, that if I slide more forward with the hips, it will help with the flat left wrist?  How or why, does it actually help?

 

Because it's tougher to flip with your weight and pressure forward properly. That's why Keys #1 and #2 feed into Key #3. :)

post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

 

Because it's tougher to flip with your weight and pressure forward properly. That's why Keys #1 and #2 feed into Key #3. :)

Thanks for the quick reply.  I have noticed quite a loss in distance on my irons over last year, especially the shorter irons.  I was unsure of what was causing this until I looked at a video.  I was early releasing or flipping pretty bad.  I have the ability to hit up to 85 yard shots in my back yard.  Two summers ago, I was hitting my 60 degree around 75 to 80 yards.  Last year it got continually worse.  By the end of the summer, I was hitting my 60 on average 60 to 65 yards.  I knew that I did not suddenly start swinging slower, but I was not sure how to fix it.

 

The more work I put into my swing, the more I realize different parts of the swing feed into others.  This is where I feel quality instruction makes the difference.  I can tell someone who is slicing, "swing more to right field."  I know that will help with making the swing path more from the inside, but that type of instruction does not help me.  I need to know what I can do to make me swing more to right field.  Does that make sense?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips