or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (cipher)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (cipher) - Page 21

post #361 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

I need some help with where I should play this upcoming season?

 

Option 1:  ($550 early bird membership)

http://www.ironwoodgolfcourse.com/

Public course.

Conditions decent for public

Nice views

A more open layout

Can only play mornings mon-fri for 5-6 months.

 

Option 2:  ($1900 full membership)

http://www.watertowncc.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=1150&page=69287

Private course and conditions(It has very pure greens)

More traditional tree lined layout.

Extra 35 minutes to my drive into work

I can play any time 8 months out of the year.

Can you post some pics of the cart girls?

 

On a more serious note, I would choose the one that is more convenient. Is the extra 35 mins going to cramp your style? Don't you normally play early mornings mon-fri already? I would say save the $1400 difference and use that money whenever you want to play outside of the Ironwood restrictions. 

post #362 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

I need some help with where I should play this upcoming season?

Option 1:  ($550 early bird membership)
http://www.ironwoodgolfcourse.com/
Public course.
Conditions decent for public
Nice views
A more open layout
Can only play mornings mon-fri for 5-6 months.

Option 2:  ($1900 full membership)
http://www.watertowncc.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=1150&page=69287
Private course and conditions(It has very pure greens)
More traditional tree lined layout.
Extra 35 minutes to my drive into work
I can play any time 8 months out of the year.

I am currently in a corp membership that has 4 slots a day for twelve months.. We have 12 in the group so we have to coordinate among each other and I basically pay almost 1K a year.. Technically I can play 3 times a week or 1 time per week and once on weekend..

Ok, so having said that I would recommend the full membership.. Being able to play on the weekends alone is probably worth it in my opinion and I pay for an executive course and yours is full I'm assuming.. So, ya it's more
Money, but it's worth it IMO
post #363 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

I need some help with where I should play this upcoming season?

 

Option 1:  ($550 early bird membership)

http://www.ironwoodgolfcourse.com/

Public course.

Conditions decent for public

Nice views

A more open layout

Can only play mornings mon-fri for 5-6 months.

 

Option 2:  ($1900 full membership)

http://www.watertowncc.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=1150&page=69287

Private course and conditions(It has very pure greens)

More traditional tree lined layout.

Extra 35 minutes to my drive into work

I can play any time 8 months out of the year.

 

Duh. Clearly the answer is BOTH!

 

(Seriously though, before we answer, what's the situation regarding range balls and stuff like that? Does one require a monthly food or pro shop minimum? Stuff like that. Which course is tougher? Will you ever have trouble getting out on one or the other? Etc.)

 

They're probably priced about right for what they offer, so it's a matter of deciding which one is closest to what you want out of a golf course.

 

Heck, the true solution might be to get a range membership to one, and a golf membership to the other for all I know.

post #364 of 943
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post
 

Can you post some pics of the cart girls?

 

On a more serious note, I would choose the one that is more convenient. Is the extra 35 mins going to cramp your style? Don't you normally play early mornings mon-fri already? I would say save the $1400 difference and use that money whenever you want to play outside of the Ironwood restrictions.

 

Cart girls? I think they have a couple chicks on lawn mowers that early. :P  The extra distance could break the private membership option.  The early bird membership is what I have been doing the past three seasons already.  It also is 27 holes so it keeps things not so repetative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu3baid View Post


I am currently in a corp membership that has 4 slots a day for twelve months.. We have 12 in the group so we have to coordinate among each other and I basically pay almost 1K a year.. Technically I can play 3 times a week or 1 time per week and once on weekend..

Ok, so having said that I would recommend the full membership.. Being able to play on the weekends alone is probably worth it in my opinion and I pay for an executive course and yours is full I'm assuming.. So, ya it's more
Money, but it's worth it IMO

That is why the club membership is tempting to me on this one.  It is pretty cheap for a private club and I will get to play more.  I also have the OK from the pro if I join to play early.  I think it would help me improve more.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post
 

 

Duh. Clearly the answer is BOTH!

 

(Seriously though, before we answer, what's the situation regarding range balls and stuff like that? Does one require a monthly food or pro shop minimum? Stuff like that. Which course is tougher? Will you ever have trouble getting out on one or the other? Etc.)

 

They're probably priced about right for what they offer, so it's a matter of deciding which one is closest to what you want out of a golf course.

 

Heck, the true solution might be to get a range membership to one, and a golf membership to the other for all I know.

There is a range that is two minutes from where I work and that is where I do my practicing/evolvr work during lunch hours.  Each membership will be mainly about playing and some short game practice.  Although at the private club I would probably use the range on some weekends.  No range balls included though.  Food and beverage is $400 minimum for the year.  The private course is also a bit tougher/tighter.  Greens are very slippery, very much like a Ross design.

post #365 of 943
One of my buddies had a membership to Watertown cc and he like the course a lot. His only complaint is the have a lot of outings on the weekends and there not members outings. Also he told me it gets busy weekends after noon. Good luck that's cool you you have both as an option.
post #366 of 943
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

One of my buddies had a membership to Watertown cc and he like the course a lot. His only complaint is the have a lot of outings on the weekends and there not members outings. Also he told me it gets busy weekends after noon. Good luck that's cool you you have both as an option.

Thanks for the tips Jakester.  If I join by the end of January I get a few free guest vouchers as well.  Just let me know if you want to come out.  We may do it as a corporate membership, so that could tip the scale back in the direction of Watertown for me.

post #367 of 943
He told me its kept in pristine condition. And thanks I really appreciate it.
post #368 of 943
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

He told me its kept in pristine condition. And thanks I really appreciate it.

Yes the greens are amazing, and they just completed a bunker renovation.  Fairways are nice, layout is ok but nothing extraordinary.

post #369 of 943
I'd be intimidated to tee it up with you bud. You would be laughing at my swing.
post #370 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

That is why the club membership is tempting to me on this one.  It is pretty cheap for a private club and I will get to play more.  I also have the OK from the pro if I join to play early.  I think it would help me improve more.

I'm kind of envious of your choices.  I just played a private course near me that I've always wanted to play and absolutely loved it!  They left us little cards on the carts to contact the membership director is we were interested, and so I did.  If I so desire, I can join for the teensy, tiny price of $13,500 initiation + $745 per month + $300 food/beverage per quarter.:loco:

 

Now I remember why the munis always get my money.

post #371 of 943
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post
 

I'm kind of envious of your choices.  I just played a private course near me that I've always wanted to play and absolutely loved it!  They left us little cards on the carts to contact the membership director is we were interested, and so I did.  If I so desire, I can join for the teensy, tiny price of $13,500 initiation + $745 per month + $300 food/beverage per quarter.:loco:

 

Now I remember why the munis always get my money.

That sounds awesome.  The one I would really like to join is right by my house.  Oconomowoc Golf Club(D.Ross).  It is only about 9K a year though.  That is not going to happen anytime soon.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester23 View Post

I'd be intimidated to tee it up with you bud. You would be laughing at my swing.

You are at the same level as my brother and it is no big deal.  When I played out at Watertown last year I played with about a 30 handicap.  Erik was intimidated by me though as well when we played a round last year out in Erie.  It happens.  ;) (I set that up perfectly for a puke joke Erik.)

 

Truth be told you are closer to me than I am to a scratch player.  Don't sweat it, we will get out this year.


Edited by cipher - 1/14/14 at 6:38pm
post #372 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

....  Oconomowoc Golf Club(D.Ross). 

Prior to about 14 months ago, I had never (that I know of) played a course designed by one of these "marquee" guys.**  But since last November I've played a couple of Tom Fazio courses, a Nicklaus course, an RTJ Jr and an RTJ Sr. course.  Now I finally have an appreciation for "good" golf course design.  Of those, I think the one I played yesterday was my favorite design (RTJ Sr.) followed by the RTJ Jr. designed course.  I still have yet to play a Donald Ross or Pete Dye course.

 

** Well, I had played Torrey Pines since it was redesigned for the US Open in 2001-ish by Rees Jones, but he only tinkered with a couple holes, really, so I don't think that counts.

post #373 of 943
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Prior to about 14 months ago, I had never (that I know of) played a course designed by one of these "marquee" guys.**  But since last November I've played a couple of Tom Fazio courses, a Nicklaus course, an RTJ Jr and an RTJ Sr. course.  Now I finally have an appreciation for "good" golf course design.  Of those, I think the one I played yesterday was my favorite design (RTJ Sr.) followed by the RTJ Jr. designed course.  I still have yet to play a Donald Ross or Pete Dye course.

** Well, I had played Torrey Pines since it was redesigned for the US Open in 2001-ish by Rees Jones, but he only tinkered with a couple holes, really, so I don't think that counts.

On that list I think I have only played a Dye course and two Ross courses. I have a man crush on both designers. Playing the Irish though this past fall was unreal. I have never seen anything like it.
post #374 of 943
Thread Starter 

I think I am starting to lean towards Watertown CC.  I like what they are doing:

 

http://www.wdtimes.com/news/article_396804bc-27eb-11e3-9d4d-001a4bcf887a.html

 

Also they have a very nice junior program for my son which is only an extra $45 for the summer.

post #375 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Prior to about 14 months ago, I had never (that I know of) played a course designed by one of these "marquee" guys.**  But since last November I've played a couple of Tom Fazio courses, a Nicklaus course, an RTJ Jr and an RTJ Sr. course.  Now I finally have an appreciation for "good" golf course design.  Of those, I think the one I played yesterday was my favorite design (RTJ Sr.) followed by the RTJ Jr. designed course.  I still have yet to play a Donald Ross or Pete Dye course.

I've really enjoyed most of the Ross courses I've played. It helps that he spent a lot of his life up here, so there's a lot of his courses in the area.
post #376 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post


I've really enjoyed most of the Ross courses I've played. It helps that he spent a lot of his life up here, so there's a lot of his courses in the area.

 

Probably one of my favorite course designers. If I had to describe Ross's designs, it would be elegant. The courses really do fit the land. He doesn't do much to change what nature gives ya. I also found Ross to be extremely fair with his courses. I never found him to be much of a shot makers course. His greens are always pretty fun to putt though, good slope on them. 

 

Fazio is pretty good, and so is Robert Trent Jones. Depends on the course I am playing for Pete Dye. Sometimes I think he  gets to strict on shot making, and sucks the life out of the round. Honestly I have never been on a Jack Nicholas course that I liked. I am not a fan of his courses. 

post #377 of 943
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post
 

 

Probably one of my favorite course designers. If I had to describe Ross's designs, it would be elegant. The courses really do fit the land. He doesn't do much to change what nature gives ya. I also found Ross to be extremely fair with his courses. I never found him to be much of a shot makers course. His greens are always pretty fun to putt though, good slope on them.

 

Fazio is pretty good, and so is Robert Trent Jones. Depends on the course I am playing for Pete Dye. Sometimes I think he  gets to strict on shot making, and sucks the life out of the round. Honestly I have never been on a Jack Nicholas course that I liked. I am not a fan of his courses.

Yes I think elegant is a perfect description for his designs.  The one thing that drives me crazy is his false fronts though.  Twisted SOB that Ross character.  ;)

post #378 of 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
 

Yes I think elegant is a perfect description for his designs.  The one thing that drives me crazy is his false fronts though.  Twisted SOB that Ross character.  ;)

 

 

HAHA, I know. That and his greens are almost always elevated and domed shape. Meaning you hardly catch an edge of the green on his courses. False fronts are evil. Just play with your eye, and then you watch in horror as your ball slowly rolls off the green. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (cipher)