or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (cipher)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (cipher) - Page 4

post #55 of 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Practice swings just have to be done much slower, like 5x slower

 

 

 

Even if James doesn't mention the elbows, what he's recommending is probably tied to getting them better a2_wink.gif

LOL ... I kinda gathered that.  The move I'm working on right now, when I go to the top of the swing and then do it, I am very aware of how it also forces my elbow to be more pitchy.  c3_clap.gif  I sometimes get the impression that that James character is a smart fellow. b2_tongue.gif

post #56 of 831
Thread Starter 

I am in love with his right elbow!
post #57 of 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post


I am in love with his right elbow!

That there is what you call BOSS MAN ELBOW.
post #58 of 831
Thread Starter 

Had to laugh at myself on this one, because it is so true:

 

"You are really having no sense of what you are doing, you are just kind of moving your body around"

 

Ok z6_surrender.gif, I get it, I need to slow it down!

post #59 of 831
Thread Starter 
Improving the picture ever so slightly with the right elbow at P6. Hit the best iron shots today of my life into a head on wind. Still have a long way to go though.
Before:

After:
post #60 of 831

Nice. Great knees. Great feet. Better elbows. Game of inches! c2_beer.gif

post #61 of 831
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

Nice. Great knees. Great feet. Better elbows. Game of inches! c2_beer.gif

Thanks, it is such small difference but I see it as progress anyway.  Excited about it.  c2_beer.gif

post #62 of 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

Hit the best iron shots today of my life into a head on wind. Still have a long way to go though.
After:

 

c2_beer.gif

post #63 of 831
Thread Starter 

Thanks Mike, I gotta keep improving it.

post #64 of 831
Thread Starter 
I am kind of liking the DTL look just before impact as well, with the club head in relation to the ball and the position of the shoulders and the back foot still down. Right elbow still bugs me but is slightly better as mentioned.
post #65 of 831
Thread Starter 
A strong start to the season thus far. Played two nine hole rounds. Started rough yesterday at +4 through three. But finished pretty well and carded a 42. Played today again and did better(40). The new swing under what I have learned with evolvr is so much better. I hit seven of nine greens today an was able to work the ball both ways. Hit my 2 hybrid into the green on the finishing hole with a draw into a left to right wind and a side hill lie with the ball below my feet. I could not believe it. In 45 degree temps, I was hitting my 3w almost a far as I was hitting my driver last year. Struggled with accuracy a bit with the driver hitting only three fairways(2 with 3W, 1 w/driver). Took two three putts on terrible greens, but overall so much better. No big misses anyway off the tee. One of the big things is that shots that would spin up and be knocked down short last year are carrying onto the green now, even with having to hit a cut into two greens. The greens cost me a few strokes today so I am pretty happy with the early results.
Edited by cipher - 4/21/13 at 6:44pm
post #66 of 831
Thread Starter 

This is just for my own reference so please ignore it if you wish.  In the above round, evolvr work is paying off with the irons.  Hit every iron approach shot onto the green save the par five I was stuck behind a tree and had to punch out, and the par four I tried to punch the ball under some branches and hit slightly behind it.  Each time I had a clear shot to the green and a full swing it was a good strike.  Really need to figure out in May what I am doing with the Driver.  I will stick with trying to hit a draw for now but time will tell if I should switch back to the fade.  

 

RED=Poorly Struck Green=Well Struck

1. Par4 - 3W off the tee caught it a bit heavy landed 20yds short of target(FIR)4i(GIR)

2. Par5 - Driver well struck hit where I aimed ran through fairway slightly, 3W Straight Hook, landed behind trees, GW punch out, GW into green.

3. Par3 - 5i(GIR) back of green should have picked 6i.

4. Par4 - Driver(FIR), 4i(GIR) Played cut into back right pin location.

5. Par4 - Driver(played cut on short dogleg right and pushed slightly landing under tree),  7i Punch out struck behind ball, 40y SW Pitch to 8' should have made the putt.

6. Par5 - Driver Pushed right, 3W Played a nice cut out of the trees on the right to within' 50y, SW to 8'(GIR)(Birdie putt one turn short,dang it!)

7. Par4 - Driver(big pull hook, hit tree on left and bounced to right side), 2h cut around trees and dogleg(GIR)

8. Par3 - 9i(played high cut to front pin location within12')(GIR)

9. Par4 - Driver straight draw left rough, 2H(GIR)draw into green

 

If I count correctly there was 7 poorly struck/mediocre shots and 13 shots that were well struck.

Of the 7 poor shots 4 were Driver, 2 were 3W and 1 was a heavy punch shot.    

Don't expect to have the irons going like this every day but this was very encouraging.  What was the weakest part of my game before the lessons could become the strongest.  Getting off the

tee may be a struggle as I have kind of neglected the driver for the most part, so I will have to work on that. I need to decide what I want to do with it.  I have been thinking I could hit a push draw on the upswing with a Driver so that is some of my issue there.  Remains to be seen if I can hit a consistent draw with the driver.    

Terrible day putting on awful spring condition greens so I will not worry about that too much yet.  

post #67 of 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post

This is just for my own reference so please ignore it if you wish.  In the above round, evolvr work is paying off with the irons.  Hit every iron approach shot onto the green save the par five I was stuck behind a tree and had to punch out, and the par four I tried to punch the ball under some branches and hit slightly behind it.  Each time I had a clear shot to the green and a full swing it was a good strike.  Really need to figure out in May what I am doing with the Driver.  I will stick with trying to hit a draw for now but time will tell if I should switch back to the fade.  

 

RED=Poorly Struck Green=Well Struck

1. Par4 - 3W off the tee caught it a bit heavy landed 20yds short of target(FIR)4i(GIR)

2. Par5 - Driver well struck hit where I aimed ran through fairway slightly, 3W Straight Hook, landed behind trees, GW punch out, GW into green.

3. Par3 - 5i(GIR) back of green should have picked 6i.

4. Par4 - Driver(FIR), 4i(GIR) Played cut into back right pin location.

5. Par4 - Driver(played cut on short dogleg right and pushed slightly landing under tree),  7i Punch out struck behind ball, 40y SW Pitch to 8' should have made the putt.

6. Par5 - Driver Pushed right, 3W Played a nice cut out of the trees on the right to within' 50y, SW to 8'(GIR)(Birdie putt one turn short,dang it!)

7. Par4 - Driver(big pull hook, hit tree on left and bounced to right side), 2h cut around trees and dogleg(GIR)

8. Par3 - 9i(played high cut to front pin location within12')(GIR)

9. Par4 - Driver straight draw left rough, 2H(GIR)draw into green

 

If I count correctly there was 7 poorly struck/mediocre shots and 13 shots that were well struck.

Of the 7 poor shots 4 were Driver, 2 were 3W and 1 was a heavy punch shot.    

Don't expect to have the irons going like this every day but this was very encouraging.  What was the weakest part of my game before the lessons could become the strongest.  Getting off the

tee may be a struggle as I have kind of neglected the driver for the most part, so I will have to work on that. I need to decide what I want to do with it.  I have been thinking I could hit a push draw on the upswing with a Driver so that is some of my issue there.  Remains to be seen if I can hit a consistent draw with the driver.    

Terrible day putting on awful spring condition greens so I will not worry about that too much yet.  

I really like what you did here with the red/green stuff.  I think I will try that next time.  You can get a decent idea just based on stats, but there are always well struck shots that just miss a fairway/green, or vice versa (my worst drive last time out bounced off a tree and back into the fairway so in the stats it looked good) and this looks like it could be an even better way to quantify them.

 

Thanks!

post #68 of 831
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I really like what you did here with the red/green stuff.  I think I will try that next time.  You can get a decent idea just based on stats, but there are always well struck shots that just miss a fairway/green, or vice versa (my worst drive last time out bounced off a tree and back into the fairway so in the stats it looked good) and this looks like it could be an even better way to quantify them.

Thanks!

Yep, very true. It does seem to really put certain shots in a better perspective. #7 for me was a fairway as well but after it hooked left bounded off a tree and kicked fourty yards to the right blocking me out from going directly at the green. The other thing that I wanted to do was to mark any shot, mainly drives yesterday, that did not start on the right line or spun too much left or right as poorly struck even if the contact was good. Thanks to you guys for leading the way with this, it is a help to us all!
post #69 of 831
Hi there! I used to have the same problem as you, getting too inside and then having to flip the club and get awkward pulls. What my coach got me doing it getting to the top and them come down steeper into the ball, it does help if you rotate your left hip. Meaning to say that if I drew a line down at your butt your left check would cross it
post #70 of 831
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLPx View Post

Hi there! I used to have the same problem as you, getting too inside and then having to flip the club and get awkward pulls. What my coach got me doing it getting to the top and them come down steeper into the ball, it does help if you rotate your left hip. Meaning to say that if I drew a line down at your butt your left check would cross it

As far as I know the hips are ok, and it is not a priority for me right now.

 

post #71 of 831
Thread Starter 

Not so good day at the range.  After hitting the ball like I did on Saturday it was pretty frustrating.  Keeping it in perspective though that things come and go.  Still hitting the irons better than I ever have.  Could not hit the driver or three wood well.  Half were nice slight draws and half were nasty hooks.  Starting lines were ok so I have no idea.  I was working on actually putting a real follow through in my swing.  James warned me I could regress a bit at first.  I regressed at A6 a bit(still better than I was) and so I will have to keep working on that at the same time trying to finish the swing.  Also need to add more right wrist extension on the way back as well.  I don't like to see the club get parallel to the ground at the top.  A little bit of a pull inside on the back swing so I will try and clean that up. 

 

post #72 of 831
Thread Starter 

Found a routine that worked today for the driver.  I was teeing the ball too low so I used a taller tee.  I moved the ball forward about 1" more.  Used the feet together thing to make sure I had it in the same spot and this seems to work.  Granted I was on an elevated tee but was getting 250-260 carry including one that flew the woods at 265.  I hit about 40 drives and had only a couple pulls.  The ball flight was much higher and longer and had about a 3 yard fall to the left on average.  Hopefully I can become consistent with it.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (cipher)