or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Putter Promiscuity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Putter Promiscuity - Page 3

post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

And I was going to ask what GSS was. So what is DSS (guessing domestic or Dutch)?

I assumed Domestic, because American Stainless Steel is ASS.
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dak4n6 View Post

And I was going to ask what GSS was. So what is DSS (guessing domestic or Dutch)?

GSS - German Stainless Steel

 

I said, "DSS" but it's actually

 

DASS - Double Aged  Stainless Steel

 

Same process as GSS but DASS is a Bettinardi term

post #39 of 45

how about DAT ASS?  does that stand for anything?

post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post

how about DAT ASS?  does that stand for anything?

 

Yes, but it was trademarked by Jennifer Lopez in 2004.

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Yes, but it was trademarked by Jennifer Lopez in 2004.

I can't argue with that...that thing was/is epic!!
post #42 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clambake View Post

 

I know this thread is about a putter addiction, but I really feel like I need to comment on your statement above.   You say you've only be golfing for 9 months and have played 75 rounds - wow, that's about twice a week, which is more than most of us get to play!    But one thing you're doing is ingraining in swing habits which are almost certainly a collection of adjustments and compromises which come together to help you play a bit.     Every time you swing a club, you're going to make it tougher and tougher to correct and build a better swing which will last you years.   

 

The best time to take lessons is when you're just starting out.  A decent pro can get you on the correct habits from the beginning.    You'll spend the rest of your life struggling to unlearn bad habits and change your swing.

 

Thanks for your input.  Can I ask a question?  What if I am not ingraining bad swing habits?  Or, if I am ingraining "bad" swing habits, but develop my game and reach my goals of scoring, isn't that all that matters?  Bubba Watson appears to have some "bad" swing habits, and we all know what he did last year.  Now, to your point, there are coaches and places all over where one could go "work on their swing" or get lessons.  At the pro level, there are many pro's that have coaches too. 

 

With me being relatively new to the game, I'm trying to look at this as objectively as I can.  I've also done quite a bit of research and reading as well.  I will agree with your statement that someone that is new to golf CAN improve their game by getting lessons/help from the RIGHT person.  The issue that I have is that there are just as many people that have not improved as those that have improved.  So lets say that I go to someone for lessons.  There is no guarantee that I will get better.  It is guaranteed though that it will take time and money.

 

Because I am continuing to improve by trying to learn as much as I can about golf mechanics and then practice, until I stop improving (as of now that has not happened, thankfully), why not continue learning and practicing?  There are so many people that I have played with either at my club or at other course that I have played, that have mentioned to me that they have been seeing so-in-so for lessons.  I notice during the round that they have not/are not improving though.  Thus to me it seems that there is just as much if not more of a chance of me improving my golf game by doing what I've been doing versus taking a chance in going to get lessons.

 

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything like that, just trying to get as much information as I can and then figure out what actually applies/helps me.....that's why I want to know how you know that I am ingraining bad swing habits?  Or were you just saying that because that is likely the case for most new golfers?  Thanks for your assistance/guidance.....

post #43 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwestner View Post

 

Thanks for your input.  Can I ask a question?  What if I am not ingraining bad swing habits?  Or, if I am ingraining "bad" swing habits, but develop my game and reach my goals of scoring, isn't that all that matters?  Bubba Watson appears to have some "bad" swing habits, and we all know what he did last year.  Now, to your point, there are coaches and places all over where one could go "work on their swing" or get lessons.  At the pro level, there are many pro's that have coaches too. 

 

With me being relatively new to the game, I'm trying to look at this as objectively as I can.  I've also done quite a bit of research and reading as well.  I will agree with your statement that someone that is new to golf CAN improve their game by getting lessons/help from the RIGHT person.  The issue that I have is that there are just as many people that have not improved as those that have improved.  So lets say that I go to someone for lessons.  There is no guarantee that I will get better.  It is guaranteed though that it will take time and money.

 

Because I am continuing to improve by trying to learn as much as I can about golf mechanics and then practice, until I stop improving (as of now that has not happened, thankfully), why not continue learning and practicing?  There are so many people that I have played with either at my club or at other course that I have played, that have mentioned to me that they have been seeing so-in-so for lessons.  I notice during the round that they have not/are not improving though.  Thus to me it seems that there is just as much if not more of a chance of me improving my golf game by doing what I've been doing versus taking a chance in going to get lessons.

 

I'm not trying to be difficult or anything like that, just trying to get as much information as I can and then figure out what actually applies/helps me.....that's why I want to know how you know that I am ingraining bad swing habits?  Or were you just saying that because that is likely the case for most new golfers?  Thanks for your assistance/guidance.....

Practice will make you better.  Practicing correctly will make you better faster and will probably give you a higher ceiling.  The people who you mention probably don't practice like you do.  I'd be surprised if they had synthetic greens in their house!

post #44 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc123 View Post

Practice will make you better.  Practicing correctly will make you better faster and will probably give you a higher ceiling.  The people who you mention probably don't practice like you do.  I'd be surprised if they had synthetic greens in their house!

 

I can definitely see the improvement in my putting from all the hours of practice, and this is even on these cold, frozen, chewed up greens that we have in Maryland because of the weather.  My actual putts per round is ~32.  So far in 2013 I am averaging 34 putts per round but this includes putts from just off the green, from the fringe, etc. that would not count as actual putts but that I count so I can track my ball striking numbers.

 

BTW - I think I found THE putters finally.  The SC Select Newport 2 Notchback and the SC Studio Select Newport 2.7 have arrived and I gamed both this weekend.  Both feel great because of the balancing in the face (which is what I was looking for).  Lets keep our fingers crossed that this is finally it!

post #45 of 45

Putter ho. The only known cure is to buy a driver.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Putter Promiscuity