or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wedges

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I have a i20 PW 46 degrees and I am looking to get a vokey PW. I currently have vokey 54 and 58. I hit the 58 about 85 yards and the 54 about 105. What degree of vokey PW should I get, 46, 47, 48? If 47 should I bend a 46 or 48?
Thanks Mack
post #2 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack H View Post

I have a i20 PW 46 degrees and I am looking to get a vokey PW. I currently have vokey 54 and 58. I hit the 58 about 85 yards and the 54 about 105. What degree of vokey PW should I get, 46, 47, 48? If 47 should I bend a 46 or 48?
Thanks Mack

 

What degree is your 9 iron?

post #3 of 29
If you have room in the bag I would get a 50* and keep the I20 PW, unless you don't like that wedge in which case you'll need to answer the 9i question. 8* is a pretty big gap. I'd probably go 48* to try and tighten up those gaps.
post #4 of 29

Welcome to the forum! 

 

 

You're looking to replace your current PW with the Vokey?

 

While you could split the difference with a 48*, I think 6* is too big of a gap between your the PW and what I assume is the 42* 9-iron as well as the 54* SW.

 

If your current 46* wedge is working for you, I'd keep that the PW at 46* and consider making room for a 50* gap wedge in there to close.......well, the gap, between the PW and your 54* SW.

 

My .02 worth.

post #5 of 29

+1 on David's comments.  Your numbers are exactly the same as mine including yardage.  My PW is 46 goes about 120-125.  My 54 is ~100 -105, so I have a gap wedge at 50 deg for 110-115.  This lets me do full swings for those distances.  I use the 58 for 85 and down.

post #6 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly777 View Post

What degree is your 9 iron?
My 9 is 41 degrees.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Welcome to the forum! 


You're looking to replace your current PW with the Vokey?

While you could split the difference with a 48*, I think 6* is too big of a gap between your the PW and what I assume is the 42* 9-iron as well as the 54* SW.

If your current 46* wedge is working for you, I'd keep that the PW at 46* and consider making room for a 50* gap wedge in there to close.......well, the gap, between the PW and your 54* SW.

My .02 worth.
I am looking to replace it with a vokey so I can use it around the greens more. My 9 iron is 41 degrees and if it still works I would like to only have 3 wedges. So should I get a 48 or 46 vokey or bend one to 47 degrees? I also see that ping has a 47 degree. I would consider the ping wedge also.
post #8 of 29
Why do you think that a Vokey wedge would be more useful around the green than what you have now?
post #9 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Why do you think that a Vokey wedge would be more useful around the green than what you have now?

My guess is because its tough to open the face on an i20 PW.
post #10 of 29

+ (whatever number it's up to now) on the option of adding a 50 in between the PW you already have and the 54.  Check out my signature ... I basically have exactly what everybody is recommending for you.  (my PW is 46.5 and my U is 50)  However, I don't really use it around the greens anyway.  And because my 50 UW is also an i20, I don't use it around the greens much either.

 

But why would I need to?  The 54.5 pretty much takes care of all jobs around the green ... I hardly use the 59 anymore.  Just for short-sided pitches and short bunker shots.  The 54.5 is verrrrrrry useful for me. :)

 

However, if you insist on replacing the PW with a different wedge, I'd say you get another 46 AND a 50.  41 to 47 or 48 to 54 is a couple of really big gaps you don't need that close to the hole.  Dump a 4 wood or a hybrid if you have to. :)

post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

Why do you think that a Vokey wedge would be more useful around the green than what you have now?
It is the same as my other wedges.
post #12 of 29

The vokey PW even bent to 46 will be way heavier and you won't be able to hit is as far on full shots. I would keep it and get a 50, or a 52, or a 56 vokey and use that around the greens.  The more bounce the better generally I think. 

post #13 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

My guess is because its tough to open the face on an i20 PW.

I guess..... but he has higher lofted wedges in the bag. I still say, just add a 50* gap wedge and you're done.
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by David in FL View Post

I guess..... but he has higher lofted wedges in the bag. I still say, just add a 50* gap wedge and you're done.

That's what I say too. I never use my PW for anything but full shots. I have NEVER used it to actually hit a pitch shot. Your 54 and 58 are perfect for around the green and adding a 50 will fill that hole in your wedge set up.
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

That's what I say too. I never use my PW for anything but full shots. I have NEVER used it to actually hit a pitch shot. Your 54 and 58 are perfect for around the green and adding a 50 will fill that hole in your wedge set up.
I noticed Rory uses a 46 then right to 54.
post #16 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

That's what I say too. I never use my PW for anything but full shots. I have NEVER used it to actually hit a pitch shot. Your 54 and 58 are perfect for around the green and adding a 50 will fill that hole in your wedge set up.
Thanks I think that's what I'll probably do and keep the PW.
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack H View Post

I
I noticed Rory uses a 46 then right to 54.

You ain't Rory.
post #18 of 29

I have a 46 see what your 9 iron is and match your degree spread through out your set

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting