I've currently got a 15* 3 Wood and Cleveland CG16 irons with lofts 21*, 24*, etc. I want a hybrid to plug the gap and am pretty much decided on the Titleist 913H. I've tested it in 19* standard setting and loved it. Thing is, I could hit the hybrid 210-215 yards regularly whereas my 21* iron only goes 190 and 24* 180 yards. Also I'm a lot more consistent with my contact with the hybrid while the 21* iron can be perfect one day and a nasty hook the next.
So my options as I see them:
1) Get the hybrid to plug the existing gap.
- Simple (and cheapest) and the more I practice with the 21* iron the better I'll get, however this could still leave a gap.
2) Get two 913Hs in the 17* (longer shaft that the 19* so more distance) and 21* then set them to 18* and 21 using the Titleist surefit hosel.
- I figure this set up would give me distances of around 220 yards and 205 so would plug the gaps. Though this would cost the most.
3) Get one 913H in either 17* or 19* (then set as appropriate) and pair it with a proper 21* hybrid iron like the Cleveland 588 MT or similar.
- Middle option for cost but I've never hit a proper utility iron so don't know if this would give me extra distance or not. Can anyone who's tried a proper hybrid iron how it compared to an iron of the same loft?
Has anyone had to figure out the same problem?
FYI - I'm a transitional 14-16 handicap as I just got back into golf and I'm targeting single figures over the next few years.
Edited by superfly777 - 3/7/13 at 2:50pm