or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 105 on trackman, need advise on how to smooth swing out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

105 on trackman, need advise on how to smooth swing out.

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Went to a Ping club test and had a go on the trackman... As I said my clubhead speed was around the 105 mark.

 

The pro said I look like I've got the power but I'm getting in the way of my arms and trying to hit at the ball too much... Really need to stop trying to smash the ball but I'm struggling to find the correct sensation of smooth controlled swing with correct launch angle.

 

I was apparently putting too much spin on the ball and wasn't making good contact. My carry distances were from 230 to 250 but I think with better launch angle and smoother tempo this could be more like 260 with the same clubhead speed.

 

Does anyone know of any drills to help me avoid the trap of lashing at the ball.. I feel like my technique is good but when the ball is put in front of me my smooth tempo goes out the window.

post #2 of 12
Thread Starter 

great advise thanks, will try and let you know for sure... Although Im pretty sure you hit the nail on the head, it's all about gradually increasing speed. With shorter irons I feel like its easier but its the waiting part with driver especially, being patient I guess

post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 

I just played around with your rhythm concept that you gave me and it really made sense.... My problem is that when I try speed up the rhythm or timing for each muscle group gets out of sync and my contact with the ball gets worse...

 

But I had a little insight, I feel as if, if I work on strength with flexibility it will really free me up some more so that I can start firing faster while keeping my rhythm..

post #4 of 12

loosen up the grip and keep it that way during the swing.

post #5 of 12
A 105 mph swing speed should carry 255 roll out to 275.
The key to controlled speed is rotation and lag.
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post

A 105 mph swing speed should carry 255 roll out to 275.
The key to controlled speed is rotation and lag.

Maybe with optimal conditions, perfect smash factor, firm fairways...
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by soon_tourpro View Post

loosen up the grip and keep it that way during the swing.

 

Why? PGA Tour pros grip the club more firmly than almost every amateur golfer. The trick is a firm grip without tension going above the wrists (or even into the wrists).

 

To the OP: your swing is probably too long. It can be smoother if you let everything "gather" at the top of the backswing. Shorter.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by inthecup View Post

A 105 mph swing speed should carry 255 roll out to 275.
The key to controlled speed is rotation and lag.

Also depends on AOA.  That can make a big difference one way or the other.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Also depends on AOA.  That can make a big difference one way or the other.

 

I like what Erik (iacas) said and I agree with what GD is thinking.  Do you remember your angle of attack, I'm guessing it's too far down, negative.  Good drill to help lessen or get the AoA positive is the Key#3 drill in this post http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/72#post_816439

 

To keep it really simple, I'd play the ball off my left toe, raise the handle a few degrees at set-up and getting the back swing to feel like it takes a few seconds longer.  In reality it won't but that feel can help with what Erik said.

post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 

I posted my swing, it's only a wedge swing.

 

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 

I think my swing technique looks ok so I guess I just need to work on fast twitch muscles and strengthen my muscles as well as timing and strike, although strike definately comes with timing.

 

I think that my driver swing is always forced and looses timing because I should be getting more distance, surely

post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

 

I like what Erik (iacas) said and I agree with what GD is thinking.  Do you remember your angle of attack, I'm guessing it's too far down, negative.  Good drill to help lessen or get the AoA positive is the Key#3 drill in this post http://thesandtrap.com/t/61376/5sk-video-thread/72#post_816439

 

To keep it really simple, I'd play the ball off my left toe, raise the handle a few degrees at set-up and getting the back swing to feel like it takes a few seconds longer.  In reality it won't but that feel can help with what Erik said.

yes my angle of attack was downwards

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › 105 on trackman, need advise on how to smooth swing out.