or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Driver Shaft to lower ball flight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I just got my TM SuperQuad about a month ago and I LOVE it. Im hitting it further and straighter than any other driver I've owned. I have one problem I would like to fix though...ball flight. I hit a 9.5 degree, stiff flex OEM shaft right now, but my ball flight is much higher than I would like. I know I would gaing distance if I could lower it just a bit. I dont want to try and fix something in my swing, because I feel its consistant, comfortable, and pretty correct. I know a higher ball flight is preferred when its wet, due to a lower ball flight not getting as much roll, but most of the conditions I play in are dry.

I know I should go visit a club fitter with a launch monitor but I live in Fargo, ND and there is no launch monitor is this whole dang city. Very frustrating. Also, if somebody knows of a club fitter near here, I would be willing to make the trip to get fitted for a shaft, but for the mean time...I need opinions on a shaft for my driver to take the ball flight down a bit.
post #2 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

From what I heard the proforce V2 lowers ball flight, I have a fairly low driver ball flight, so I guess it works, but it might be the driver as well.
post #3 of 18
Thread Starter 

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

I guess after doing some more reading, maybe a lower degree loft would do the trick and lower spin/increase distance in the process. One problem, I dont really feel like trading this driver in for a lower degree. 400 bones was enough for this one, so that is why im looking in another direction like the shaft.

I would really like to find a fitter in my area or close to it...but I have no idea where the nearest one is.
post #4 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
I just got my TM SuperQuad about a month ago and I LOVE it. Im hitting it further and straighter than any other driver I've owned. I have one problem I would like to fix though...ball flight. I hit a 9.5 degree, stiff flex OEM shaft right now, but my ball flight is much higher than I would like. I know I would gaing distance if I could lower it just a bit.
You don't know that. I mean, you may be guessing right, but my hunch is you don't know.

I sat on a range for two days watching the Titleist guys fit people to drivers. They all said people thought a lower ball flight was better. Wrong. You want to maximize your carry, not try to get much roll. And that's regardless of wind conditions (for those who live in Texas) and so on.

I say this: you're hitting the ball longer and straighter than ever. Good. Work on your short game.
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

My short game is my strongest part of my game, thats why Im posting about my driver and not my putter/wedges. Im not a golf expert or anything, but I know my physics to the point where a slightly lower launch angle would be beneficial for me and my swing. Logically, a ball launched at 45 dedgrees with the same velocity/spin/force of gravity/etc will travel farther than a ball launched at 60 degrees and this is with the ball stopping EXACTLY where it lands.

Maybe I "dont" know that I would gain distance, so I will "reiterate" my "hunch":

I KNOW that I have a HUNCH that I COULD gain some distance by having a lower ball launch with LESS spin to INCREASE distance.

I hope that makes more sense and Im still open for other suggestions.

Thanks
post #6 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

I assume you used 45 and 60 degrees as an example, but the ideal launch angle for a driver is 12-15 degrees. A different shaft kickpoint won't change the angle as much as it sounds like you would want.

In any case, it's far cheaper to experiment with moving the ball further back in your stance and/or teeing it lower than it is to reshaft a club.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Yes, I was using those numbers purely to prove logically how physics of flying objects with velocity work. You are right on that launch angle of a ball with a driver. I already tee the ball pretty much so it barely above the driver face. I dont know...maybe I should tee it high, but Im always worried I'll get under it and all hell breaks loose and I end up with a nice big dent in the top.

Crazy enough, I never thought about moving the ball back in my stance. I suppose I could try that but Im thinking its more the kickpoint in my swing. I dont need to lower that ball flight as much as I may have let on earlier. I could very well be trying to fix something that doesn't really need to be fixed. Maybe I was hitting it too low with my previous drivers and just got used to that kind of a ball flight. Thanks for the reply though. Im open to any suggestions as it was just proven, I can and will overlook the easier fixes.
post #8 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

I will agree that hitting the ball high is better but only to a certain point. I naturally hit the ball high and, therefor, fixed my problem with a shaft. My launch angle was a towering 17 degrees, and was lowered to around a 14.Im not saying its the best option to do but I would recommend the Graffaloy ProLaunch Red. Its designed to create a more penetrating ball flight. Or you could take a cheaper approach and have someone look at your swing. Most imporantly thought, as iacas said, practice the short game to go along with your decision.
post #9 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
I just got my TM SuperQuad about a month ago and I LOVE it. Im hitting it further and straighter than any other driver I've owned. I have one problem I would like to fix though...ball flight. I hit a 9.5 degree, stiff flex OEM shaft right now, but my ball flight is much higher than I would like. I know I would gaing distance if I could lower it just a bit. I dont want to try and fix something in my swing, because I feel its consistant, comfortable, and pretty correct. I know a higher ball flight is preferred when its wet, due to a lower ball flight not getting as much roll, but most of the conditions I play in are dry.

I know I should go visit a club fitter with a launch monitor but I live in Fargo, ND and there is no launch monitor is this whole dang city. Very frustrating. Also, if somebody knows of a club fitter near here, I would be willing to make the trip to get fitted for a shaft, but for the mean time...I need opinions on a shaft for my driver to take the ball flight down a bit.
I just want to remind that it's best not to fix whatever you don't need fixing. If you feel like you have gotten your ideal and logical distance, I think you've done it. In matter of lowering the ball flight, it may or may not give more distance. Would you like to take that chance by spending some of your hard-to-earn money on a new shaft while what you have now is good enough. But if you feel like to get new shaft, well, in good way, I hope you get what you look for.
post #10 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

depending on where you catch the ball on your swing, moving it back may actually cause you to hit the ball on the downswing instead of slightly on the upswing, which would raise your spin rate and may raise your launch angle.

Sounds like you need to open a shop in Fargo with a launch monitor...could find a lot of business. An indoor range in the winter would be a gold mine.
post #11 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

i agree w/ iacas... if u really think ur hitting this driver the best u can except maybe a little high than i say u should turn to ur short game... even if its ur "best" part of ur game im sure u have room to improve...
i mean seriously if u can hit drives 280 consistantly should u really be worried about an extra 5 or 10 yards? cuz thats about all u will gain w/ a new shaft
post #12 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
Im not a golf expert or anything, but I know my physics to the point where a slightly lower launch angle would be beneficial for me and my swing. Logically, a ball launched at 45 dedgrees with the same velocity/spin/force of gravity/etc will travel farther than a ball launched at 60 degrees and this is with the ball stopping EXACTLY where it lands.
Logically, a ball fired at 45 degrees will travel the furthest of any projectile with the same initial speed. That's physics, but "physics" doesn't really apply here - not until you factor in the fact that a ball's flight is not a parabola because of wind resistance and backspin.

Simple high-school physics can only take you so far. The ideal launch angle for any projectile in high school is 45 degrees if you want maximum distance. Obviously it's much lower for a driver - 12-15 as has been stated, depending on your ball speed and spin.

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
Maybe I "dont" know that I would gain distance, so I will "reiterate" my "hunch":

I KNOW that I have a HUNCH that I COULD gain some distance by having a lower ball launch with LESS spin to INCREASE distance.
And again, your hunch is meaningless without actual numbers or without someone trustworthy seeing your ball flight. I will re-iterate that I sat through two days of driver fittings, and not ONE person benefitted from a lower ball flight. Everybody was optimized in one (or both) of two directions: higher launch angle and less spin.

"High launch, low spin" is the mantra. Rarely, rarely is a lower ball flight actually better.

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
Yes, I was using those numbers purely to prove logically how physics of flying objects with velocity work.
The numbers are meaningless, because again, a 45 degree launch is optimal for distance in high school phsycis land - no friction, no spin, and pure parabolic flight.

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
Crazy enough, I never thought about moving the ball back in my stance.
As someone else already said, that's not the way to reduce spin.

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
I could very well be trying to fix something that doesn't really need to be fixed. Maybe I was hitting it too low with my previous drivers and just got used to that kind of a ball flight.
Ding ding ding! We have a winner.

Good luck.
post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

I was using "high school physics" as a simple example. Im well out of high school physics but didn't want to get too involved...besides, its only a golf forum. haha. It was not meant to be taken as a direct relation of a golf ball flight with the added resistances and forces, but rather a slight comparison of projectiles...but thanks for the "clarification" anyway I guess. The more I think about this, the more I think it just may be my swing at times. I can remember the times when I was driving the ball and not even thinking about how high it went, this must have meant it was a suitable enough height for me to not even notice. I tend to over-analyze things when it comes to my golf game, which can be a good thing at times, but with this "problem" considered....it may just be a case of "leave your ball flight alone, its fine!". I appreciate the suggestions and opinions though. Thanks again.
post #14 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
I was using "high school physics" as a simple example. Im well out of high school physics but didn't want to get too involved...besides, its only a golf forum. haha. It was not meant to be taken as a direct relation of a golf ball flight with the added resistances and forces, but rather a slight comparison of projectiles...but thanks for the "clarification" anyway I guess. The more I think about this, the more I think it just may be my swing at times. I can remember the times when I was driving the ball and not even thinking about how high it went, this must have meant it was a suitable enough height for me to not even notice. I tend to over-analyze things when it comes to my golf game, which can be a good thing at times, but with this "problem" considered....it may just be a case of "leave your ball flight alone, its fine!". I appreciate the suggestions and opinions though. Thanks again.
I know. It was just a bad example.

My point remains: most people believe they hit the ball too high, when in fact they hit the ball too low. I've probably only played with two people in the past year who hit the ball too high off their driver.

I think you're probably fine.
post #15 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Yeah, I would listen to Erik. I don't know the guy but he seems to know what he's talking about. He should run a website and give people advice on their golf game. Oh wait......
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Originally Posted by Aggie25 View Post
Yeah, I would listen to Erik. I don't know the guy but he seems to know what he's talking about. He should run a website and give people advice on their golf game. Oh wait......
haha...I think you are both right. My choice:

LEAVE THE DRIVER SHAFT ALONE.
post #17 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

Originally Posted by green6767 View Post
haha...I think you are both right. My choice:

LEAVE THE DRIVER SHAFT ALONE.
And good luck on the short game (and putting of course!).
post #18 of 18

Re: Driver Shaft to lower ball flight

forgive me but I didn't want to read through the whole thread but...

all the regular people I play with have about the same distance off the tee but I seem to always get about 15-25 more yards, and roll just because I have a natural draw to the ball, the others all play a cut.

If you naturally have a fade a draw would prolly give you the little more umph you're looking for.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Pro Shop › Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting › Driver Shaft to lower ball flight